Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What did the "not we" think of the new trailer?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 6:26pm

Post #1 of 40 (1452 views)
Shortcut
What did the "not we" think of the new trailer? Can't Post

I dare to make a new thread, and cross my fingers it doesn't turn in to chaos. Wink * Feel free to delete this thread dear admins if you feel it could be merged with another. I thought it would be nice to share general audience views and opinions, rather than argue about our own. Tongue

We've had a thread dedicated to our own reviews and reactions, but what did the "not we" think of the new trailer? Since we (fans) make up a minority of the audience, it is the general audience and the "not we" that will rake in all the money for the film.

By the "not we" I mean the non-fans and the average movie-goer: friends, family and acquaintances; children, parents, colleagues, neighbours and partners. Did you show them the trailer, or did they find it themselves? And most importantly, what did they think?

I just showed my partner, after having enough of hearing it but not seeing it (I've been hogging the laptop!). She has watched all the films, and read The Hobbit, and enjoys them all. She's never found them (books and films) as thrilling as I would like. I thought she would have the same concerns as some on here (too much CGI, a lot of battles, little to do with the book etc). But she loved it - she was impressed with Smaug, shocked to see Legolas, loved Tauriel (!), and overall say it was a great trailer. So there you have it. What do your friends and family say?

Smile

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 6:30pm

Post #2 of 40 (873 views)
Shortcut
My parents [In reply to] Can't Post

Who have played a roll with me and Tolkien both enjoyed it. My mom said she thought it looked like it was better than the first. My Dad didn't go that far but I think he's just grumpy due to him about to have shoulder surgery.

imin
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 6:33pm

Post #3 of 40 (827 views)
Shortcut
Depends who you ask in my family [In reply to] Can't Post

My parents think it looks like dross, though i think ultimately my dad will watch it and think its alright.

My gf thought it looked amazing in parts and not so great in others - didn't like Smaug.

My little sister thought it looked cool and wants to be Tauriel, lol.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 6:38pm

Post #4 of 40 (808 views)
Shortcut
Several friends on another forum... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are really enthusiastic about it, particularly the artwork. And the dragon. And Bilbo in the trees.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 6:51pm

Post #5 of 40 (717 views)
Shortcut
That's great // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

My little sister thought it looked cool and wants to be Tauriel, lol.

...good for her!!!!!

As for my non-fan husband, he said he thought it looked amazing, and he liked Smaug's glowing eye.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

jtarkey
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 6:58pm

Post #6 of 40 (770 views)
Shortcut
Mixed to negative reactions from my friends and family [In reply to] Can't Post

My film buff friends think it looks like too much CGI and overblown action. I have one friend who said it looked awesome. My brother says it just looks like Avatar, or any other CGI fantasy film thats come out recently.

I haven't even noticed a lot of concerns about it not being true to the book, more so concerns with the film making techniques being used here. "It doesn't even look like Middle Earth" is a comment I hear a lot.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

imin
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 7:00pm

Post #7 of 40 (722 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it did make me laugh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I rolled my eyes but then i thought the same as you - good for her and i guess the addition of Tauriel will be a good thing after all.

Oh and Smaug's eye was really cool, i also liked his overall design but the eye stood out as something special to me.

Really pleased your husband liked it - maybe he will want a LOTR/TH sword this xmas? Smile

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 7:01pm

Post #8 of 40 (790 views)
Shortcut
Reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

I showed it to my son. He had no real comment, no visible excitement. So I asked if he liked it. He said, "Sure." Well, okay... I was a bit more enthusiastic, but OMG-IT'S-BIRD-CRAP still gets to me. I didn't miss the bunnies.

I just have to mention that I see more people saying "my partner" these days, but usually with gay couples or open marriages. "Significant Other" is another term used to escape whatever folks are escaping from. But even gay couples are coming back to wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend as the social bigotries are erased. The term 'partner' has always seemed odd to me - so corporate and businesslike, detached from feeling. I wish we could go back to the endearments. Unless, of course, one actually means a business partner. I remember Peter or Fran referring to each other as partners, and it seemed odd to me at the time. It made me wonder if they were married, committed, or what.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 12 2013, 7:07pm)

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 7:06pm

Post #9 of 40 (705 views)
Shortcut
No reaction... [In reply to] Can't Post

...from my husband. He watched it 15 min ago and he already cannot remember anything about it. He's just not that interested, I guess. He might go and watch the movie in the cinema with me, though.

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 7:09pm

Post #10 of 40 (720 views)
Shortcut
A lot of people use the term partner [In reply to] Can't Post

because they feel it reflects their relationship, as in, they are in an equal partnership. I don't know anyone who uses the term partner in a detached or business-like way. They are talking about their partner in life. Personally speaking, as a grown up, I feel a little bit past using the term 'boyfriend'. Smile

adnan
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 7:11pm

Post #11 of 40 (694 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Showed it to my 4 year old daughter (she knows the jist of the Hobbit story thanks to me)...she loved the Smaug revelation...her eyes widened and so did the mouth. After that we exchenged smiles, brushed our teeth and went to sleep. For her life will go on, for me the exitement for Dercember to be here has been elevated!

Rivendell

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 7:13pm

Post #12 of 40 (704 views)
Shortcut
Grown ups [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, but it is so very, very cute when grown ups feel young enough in spirit to use the term. Generally, it's husband and wife by then, or will be soon. ;)

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 7:20pm

Post #13 of 40 (673 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband, who has read Tolkien all his life, loved it. We both shouted "YES" when we saw Smaug.

My sister (who runs a movie theater) will have to watch it anyway- but she said she is looking forward to it because she liked the last one.

My kids are too young still ;)

"And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people."~John Harrison..?

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 7:24pm

Post #14 of 40 (684 views)
Shortcut
My mother [In reply to] Can't Post

thought it looked great. The only part she thought looked bad was the Barrel escape - she thought it looked cheesy. My brothers think it looks awesome as well.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 7:25pm

Post #15 of 40 (672 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

Calling each other girlfriend/boyfriend sounds like some teenage romance. I just prefer partner.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 7:27pm

Post #16 of 40 (651 views)
Shortcut
I think I would've been ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Petrified if I saw Smaug at 4 years old. She's braver than me! Wink

It's nice to see that there have been so many positive (mingled with negative) reviews of the trailer. Interesting ...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 7:38pm

Post #17 of 40 (644 views)
Shortcut
Age [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you're not old enough yet to feel nostalgic of young love again from decades past. If you're in your 20s, which I think you are, I can understand that. ;)

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 7:46pm

Post #18 of 40 (615 views)
Shortcut
Partner is the usual term where I come from [In reply to] Can't Post

for people who are not married. If I am 40, 50, or 60 +, I am not very likely to refer to my partner as my 'boyfriend' or 'girlfriend'. Partner has been in common use as a term here in NZ for close to 30 years.

jschomburg
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 7:55pm

Post #19 of 40 (591 views)
Shortcut
Shoulder surgery - YUK [In reply to] Can't Post

I had shoulder surgery about 7 months ago, no fun, but have your father do what doctor and therapist say.

Just had to offer my empathy on that one.

(This post was edited by jschomburg on Jun 12 2013, 7:56pm)

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 9:32pm

Post #20 of 40 (516 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should mention this JW [In reply to] Can't Post

I always have a bit of a problem with the term, but the opposite way round. I am in a business partnership, but if, in a work context, I introduce my one of my male colleagues as "my partner" , it is still often assumed that he is my partner in the marital type sense! Since we are all married to other people, I am always clear to state "business partner" or similar. Maybe we should jettison the term, in both contexts, altogether!Smile

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 9:34pm

Post #21 of 40 (498 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

That sucks. :( He had the other one done a couple years ago so he's not looking forward to it but at the same time he is so it quits hurting. I will make sure to pass that on and remind him to be a good patient.

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 9:42pm

Post #22 of 40 (505 views)
Shortcut
My fiancee loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

She enjoyed An Unexpected Journey, even if she'll tell friends that she was dragged all three times to the cinema (she can't complain, I let her off four of my viewings!). But she absolutely loved this trailer and is really excited for the next ones. She believes it will be one of those sequels that betters the original. She thinks some of the shots (The Lonely Mountain, the Elven kingdom) looks stunningly beautiful (I agree) and is already nervous about some of the designs of the orcs and spiders - nervous in the good sense!

Kimtc
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 9:49pm

Post #23 of 40 (529 views)
Shortcut
My fan daughter went nuts, but the non-fan daughter went even nutsier. [In reply to] Can't Post

And what did she like? Let's count:

1) Legolas! (Now with even bluer eyes!)

2) Thranduil (or "Who is the elf with the eyebrows! Oh, the guy from "Breaking Dawn, Pt. 2?")

3) More Legolas!

4) A red-headed girl elf! (She has red hair)

5) It's Legolas again!

6) Who's the non-Aragorn guy? He's cute! (Bard)

7) "Boy, am I glad Legolas is back! I thought this movie might suck."

And she did want to know where the cute dwarves were (meaning Fili/Kili; Thorin is a bit old for her). As you can tell, we are not working with a person who is deep in the weeds on Tolkien lore. This is Tolkien by way of Tiger Beat.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 10:14pm

Post #24 of 40 (481 views)
Shortcut
All my mates think it looks amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my friends said he thought it looked 'Incredible' and he loves films. I too think its a great trailer and was more than what I expected. I was not that impressed by the AUJ trailer released last september so could understand some of the criticism, but this time round Im quite bemused by alot of the negativy on these boards towards the trailer. Its a little bit depressing actually.

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 10:19pm

Post #25 of 40 (472 views)
Shortcut
I'm pushing 50 [In reply to] Can't Post

And my partner and I have been together for closing in on 28 years. I suppose if I wanted to be really specific, I would say "life partner" but I think that is implied.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.