Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice -- Pippin's Shirt?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 23 2007, 5:43pm

Post #1 of 11 (2651 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice -- Pippin's Shirt? Can't Post

Did you ever take a closer look at Pippin's traveling shirt? Did you ever notice that it is embroidered?

Now, keep in mind that the top photo was taken from one of the hobbit-sized outfits on display. It's not even a hero/close-up version! That embroidery had to be replicated on more than 10 shirts, plus stunt shirts, and then had to be resized for the scale double shirts, etc. The same is true of the scarf, suspenders, and even the buttons had to be resized. All for something most of us would never have noticed. Was it worth it?

For more on LOTR costumes, I very highly recommend taking a look at Alley Cat Scratch. Their site is too large for their format, at the moment, but it is a gold mine of costume information.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 23 2007, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 11 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Yes I did notice the shirt had some kind of design on it..... [In reply to] Can't Post

But could not make out the details. Thanks for posting this, and the other photos.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 23 2007, 6:55pm

Post #3 of 11 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Details like this remind me just how much loving attention went into all aspects of these films.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 23 2007, 7:09pm

Post #4 of 11 (1442 views)
Shortcut
How does this compare to the other Hobbits' shirts? [In reply to] Can't Post

my vague-ish impression from the books was that Pippin was perhaps a little wealthier (or his family was a little wealthier) and he was perhaps a bit more - hmm... can't think of the right word... of a gadabout. I can remember an old discussion where I made the point that he was young, had lived a bit of a privileged life and may not have taken life too seriously before the big adventure. This was made to point out how he had changed and I think I was able to back this opinion up but I don't remember, now, how I did it.

Anyhow, if my memory is at all accurate, I'm wondering if this was shown in a bit of fancy embroidery on his shirts that the other Hobbits might not have had. I'll have to pay more attention the next time I watch the movies and the next time read the book.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 23 2007, 7:26pm

Post #5 of 11 (1426 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin's shirt is the most elaborate. The others all seem to have simple white shirts. But, he is also the only one of the four who does not wear a vest. Sam wears his vest open and Merry & Frodo both keep theirs buttoned up. Merry has some quilting on his vest and Sam's is striped. In the case of Sam, they had to have the fabric rewoven to scale.

Frodo's outfit is by far the richest as it's made almost entirely of velvets. Even the pants! Well, not entirely as the coat is wool lined in velvet and the shirt is linen. I think that the lack of vest on Pippin was what prompted them to decorate the shirt. Why there is not vest, though, is up to interpretation. I like to think that it was a way of making him seem younger. But maybe they just decided that you can't call a man in a waistcoat a fool of a Took Smile

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2007, 8:16pm

Post #6 of 11 (1403 views)
Shortcut
Surely it wasn't done by hand! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to estimate, but that kind of thing might have taken months to do if someone hand embroidered it. The stitches are so regular and the pattern so repetitive, it would lend itself easily to machine work.

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2007, 10:16pm

Post #7 of 11 (1383 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I did notice that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it made it look kind of upper-class favorite son.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2007, 10:18pm

Post #8 of 11 (1375 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was by machine. My Singer from 1966 can do all those stiches.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 24 2007, 3:45am

Post #9 of 11 (1343 views)
Shortcut
I saw that shirt [In reply to] Can't Post

...in an exhibit in the windows of Nieman Marcus in Beverley Hills in Dec. 2003. Their "Christmas" windows were given over to a marvelous exhibition of LotR costumes in celebration of the opening of RotK. That embroidery was one of many little thrills. White Trees embossed in Faramir's leather equipment was another, along with countless other marvelous details.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 24 2007, 4:58am

Post #10 of 11 (1365 views)
Shortcut
It has to be by machine [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine that even the detail obsessed costumers for this movie would consider hand-embroidering all of that! But I find it very interesting that they thought to embroider it at all when a clean white shirt would do.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Nazguy
Bree

Dec 26 2007, 9:58pm

Post #11 of 11 (1310 views)
Shortcut
It has to be by machine [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one reason why I can't wait to see the films in HD. There's so much rich detail to look at.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.