Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The "unfinished/polished" CGI Issue

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 2:51pm

Views: 1133
Shortcut
The "unfinished/polished" CGI Issue Can't Post

I loved the trailer and although I thought it should have centered more on Bilbo and the Dwarves' quest, it still got me excited. Nonetheless, I was one of those that were taken aback by some of the CGI shown in certain shots.

Most users on this forum are reasoning that there's still time for polishing shots before the release of the film and that's fair enough. However, one has to keep in mind that many of the scenes shown in the trailer were originally going to form part of the first film (before it became a trilogy) and therefore, work had almost been completed on them by July 2012. Since then, I'm sure WETA has had time to go through them several times.

Which is why I'm concerned about it all. Do the scenes from Beorn to the Barrels really need to be polished? Don't you think they're 90% finished by now (for over a year) and that WETA is concentrating its efforts on the rest of the story's visual effects?

Again, I enjoyed the trailer but I thought Legolas' face was too perfect - the first shot where he slides in front of Thorin and surprises him is a giveaway digital double. Ironically, Beorn's bear form looks so much more realistic than Legolas himself Crazy

The landscapes (especially Laketown) are breathtaking, however, I'm worried that these so-called "unfinished" CGI shots have actually already been approved and completed and therefore no improvement will be made upon them ...

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Subject User Time
The "unfinished/polished" CGI Issue Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Jun 12 2013, 2:51pm
    yes LordGawain Send a private message to LordGawain Jun 12 2013, 2:56pm
    I would be willing Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jun 12 2013, 2:56pm
    cgi jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jun 12 2013, 2:59pm
        Seeing some screencaps Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Jun 12 2013, 3:19pm
            Bears vs. Dogs redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Jun 12 2013, 4:03pm
            Totally a bear! tarasaurus Send a private message to tarasaurus Jun 12 2013, 7:24pm
        Bear Bandit Send a private message to Bandit Jun 12 2013, 3:29pm
            The bear's eyes Skaan Send a private message to Skaan Jun 12 2013, 5:28pm
                Other opinions on CGI BornOutOfTheWest Send a private message to BornOutOfTheWest Jun 12 2013, 5:48pm
                    Children Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jun 12 2013, 6:35pm
                    Out of the mouths of babes... // Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jun 12 2013, 6:49pm
        Bear vs Dog Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 12 2013, 4:08pm
        I couldn't originally tell the bear from a dog Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jun 12 2013, 4:09pm
    I fear you are correct frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Jun 12 2013, 3:05pm
        Looking at the AUJ teaser now Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Jun 12 2013, 3:12pm
            I disagree.. MorgolKing Send a private message to MorgolKing Jun 12 2013, 4:32pm
            I'm not PJ's biggest fan imin Send a private message to imin Jun 12 2013, 5:45pm
        Not a Middle Earth film but... easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Jun 13 2013, 6:02pm
    What I Said Below architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Jun 12 2013, 3:43pm
        Adults? Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jun 12 2013, 3:56pm
            of course architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Jun 12 2013, 4:07pm
                On the CGI quality. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jun 12 2013, 4:17pm
        Agreed malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jun 12 2013, 4:21pm
        the same thing architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Jun 12 2013, 4:32pm
    I thought Legolas looked a little off, too. Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Jun 12 2013, 4:01pm
    Talking of which... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jun 12 2013, 4:05pm
        I was hoping for zombie elves and orcs ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 12 2013, 4:27pm
    I doubt Weta is done with the CGI shots entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Jun 12 2013, 4:09pm
    I will say this redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Jun 12 2013, 4:10pm
    design deskp Send a private message to deskp Jun 12 2013, 5:21pm
    CGI can look good. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jun 12 2013, 5:47pm
    About the bear / dog? Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jun 12 2013, 10:43pm
        It's a Bear Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jun 13 2013, 3:29am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.