Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did PJ actually react to any criticism on AUJ?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 2:08pm

Post #1 of 54 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Did PJ actually react to any criticism on AUJ? Can't Post

Would like to know if he at least tries to make DOS have less of the bad stuff of AUJ.

frodolives
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 2:15pm

Post #2 of 54 (783 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it very much [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ has a very specific vision for whatever he does and isn't swayed by public opinion. The Lovely Bones was not well received and he still says he wouldn't change a thing about it. People who were frustrated with AUJ are likely to find more of the same here, I suspect. Certainly the pale orc doesn't seem to have improved any.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 2:21pm

Post #3 of 54 (729 views)
Shortcut
what were [In reply to] Can't Post

what were some of the criticisms about the lovely bones? i thought it was a well-done, chilling film, and heart-breaking.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 2:22pm

Post #4 of 54 (717 views)
Shortcut
well from watching the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

it doesnt look like it. Azog is still there, as is OTT cgi.

frodolives
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 2:25pm

Post #5 of 54 (726 views)
Shortcut
Lovely Bones reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

here ya go...
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1189344-lovely_bones/

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 2:36pm

Post #6 of 54 (669 views)
Shortcut
Certainly doesn't look like it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just going by the trailer, it'll be the same roller-coaster ride that AUJ was - all kinds of shoe-horned in action-for-the-sake-of-action and more invented character arcs weighing the story down. IMO, 3-film split decision was the worst thing that happened to these movies.

Of course, this is only a 2-minute trailer, so it's impossible to say if the film will be bad yet. I thought the first AUJ trailer was great, and AUJ turned out just average, so can't always go by the trailers Wink

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 2:38pm

Post #7 of 54 (648 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Certainly the pale orc doesn't seem to have improved any.

He looks as cartoony and digital as ever.

telcontar7
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 2:47pm

Post #8 of 54 (627 views)
Shortcut
Roller-coaster [In reply to] Can't Post

Who would have thought that movies about going on an adventure would be like that?

In Reply To
Just going by the trailer, it'll be the same roller-coaster ride that AUJ was

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 2:52pm

Post #9 of 54 (651 views)
Shortcut
Sort of like what happened with King Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

The two biggest complaints from most moviegoers about his King Kong, were the sheer length and overblown CGI...but it was a dream project for PJ so what does he do? Release an extended version with even more of the above (and a hour of deleted footage-often character beats)...actually come to think of it The Hobbit may be going the same way...

I happen to like King Kong and The Lovely Bones (I actually prefer KK to AUJ) but I can see why other people don't in anycase despite all my issues with PJ's films I kinda like the fact he dosen't care what other people think, even if the film turns out terrible you can tell he puts effort into making his version not anyone elses.

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 3:08pm

Post #10 of 54 (627 views)
Shortcut
One of the main complaints about AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Who would have thought that movies about going on an adventure would be like that?

...were the totally unrealistic physics, like falling 500 ft down a winding mountain passage, and coming out of it without a scratch. In this trailer, we have people jumping 30 ft through the air, dwarves swinging swords while riding in barrels on a river, ninja elves running through trees at breakneck speed shooting arrows. Obviously, Jackson hasn't listened to the complaints about the unrealistic physics, on the contrary he seems to be going full-tilt with it now. Of course, you can't judge a 2.5 hr movie based solely on a two-minute trailer, so the verdict isn't out yet. I'm not optimistic, but if you are, then great Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 3:09pm

Post #11 of 54 (584 views)
Shortcut
He sticks to his vision. [In reply to] Can't Post

And made enough money with AUJ to justify it - plus positive reactions by MANY viewers (a clear majority in fact, by all available sources).

What a poor artist he would be if he did not have the courage to continue pursuing his vision and interpretation.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

frodolives
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 3:15pm

Post #12 of 54 (571 views)
Shortcut
But by the same token... [In reply to] Can't Post

... reaction to AUJ wasn't anywhere near as positive as it was for each LOTR film. And, for consistency's sake, I wish he had kept the same level of realism in this new series. PJ often said that he wanted LOTR to seem like a history and feel 'real.' That philosophy seems to have been abandoned with these Hobbit films.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 3:18pm

Post #13 of 54 (567 views)
Shortcut
Sad.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..that money is more important than trying to make the movies go down in history.
I have nothing against him pursuing his vision..but I have something against bad dialogue, bad CGI and bad/unnecessary OTT Action. Which all lessen even his vision.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 3:21pm

Post #14 of 54 (570 views)
Shortcut
Human [In reply to] Can't Post

The apologists could tell you that Middle-earth physics does not have to follow our own physics because it is in a time or universe created by Eru. But most successful filmmakers and writers say that you have to relate the human element no matter what else you do so that the audience can relate to the material and connect with the characters. The unrealistic physics, perhaps above all, disconnects us from truly caring about what happens to the characters, cheating us of the emotional impact of the adventure and its fate.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 3:23pm

Post #15 of 54 (555 views)
Shortcut
Sorry? [In reply to] Can't Post

That was not my argument.

My argument was that he did his vision and enough people seem to have enjoyed it so he has the green light from the studio to go ahead.

If it would have been a major BO flop - than they might have pressured him in changing stuff (they certainly will have talked about the mediocre reviews).

Sorry, but your first sentence is a totally unfair thing to say given the way movies are made on that scale.

Of course they have to make money. Actually, PJ certainly took much more risks with this trilogy than he needed to. I am sure he could have made a similar amount of money by less stressful productions...

Just because you feel this movies are not fit to go down in history (WHATEVER that means) or that certain things were "bad" does not mean PJ felt they could or would or are... or many other fans for that matter.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 12 2013, 3:24pm)

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 3:30pm

Post #16 of 54 (520 views)
Shortcut
Well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they have to make money. But they would have earned more even, if they had done less of the stuff that made AUJ just a good film, not a great one.
And by "going down in history" I meant just trying to be on par with LOTR in terms of filmmaking.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 3:33pm

Post #17 of 54 (520 views)
Shortcut
I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but whether it can be put on the same shelve as LotR is a question that not all people here answer with "no" Wink

And how much money they could have made if this or that would have been different is pure speculation anyway.

telcontar7
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 3:37pm

Post #18 of 54 (526 views)
Shortcut
Physics? [In reply to] Can't Post

This isn't a documentary. The simple fact that the story features a fire-breathing dragon should already tell you that the laws of physics will be ignored.

frodolives
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 3:45pm

Post #19 of 54 (490 views)
Shortcut
Hhhmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This isn't a documentary. The simple fact that the story features a fire-breathing dragon should already tell you that the laws of physics will be ignored.

I don't agree. Dragonslayer had a dragon, and the laws of physics applied. There needs to be some believability for any film to have a sense of danger. If we believe that Bilbo can survive a fall from hundreds of feet, then why can't he then survive a blast of dragon fire, or come out shining after being crushed by a giant boulder? There have to be standards to have come sort of context.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 4:05pm

Post #20 of 54 (476 views)
Shortcut
If fantasy fims were the equivalent of Loony Tunes... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

...we would lose all sense of real jeopardy when watching them. The fantastic only works by how it affects the ordinary people who it impacts. The more mundane elements of the story have to be respected in order to support the audience's sense of wonder when encountering the truly fantastic.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 4:10pm

Post #21 of 54 (456 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where would he start, where would it end, who would he listen to and why would he care?

The Hobbit: AUJ made over $1b worldwide and he has shot all of the second movie already. I don't really know what he could or even needs to change at this point.

"And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people."~John Harrison..?

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 4:12pm

Post #22 of 54 (453 views)
Shortcut
As opposed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to the very real sense of jeopardy the characters faced when magical eagles just happen to show up at the right time to get the characters out of danger?

"And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people."~John Harrison..?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 4:14pm

Post #23 of 54 (471 views)
Shortcut
The fact that the teaser is so chock-full of things [In reply to] Can't Post

which annoyed people about Film 1 certainly suggests he didn't...notice, for example, Azog and Radagast getting their big "hero" moments.

However...anyone know if PJ cuts his own trailers or has control over the marketing? I would imagine so, but perhaps this teaser was just cobbled together by a Warners marketing exec hence the apparently unfinished footage, ETC?

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Post #24 of 54 (453 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

There were about 3 or 4 instances in AUJ where there should have been at least a few deaths, but miraculously everyone survives and walks away without a scratch. If a 500 ft drop or a 1000 ft tall stone giant can't kill you, do you really expect me to believe that goblins, spiders, or wargs are going to be a danger?

frodolives
Lorien

Post #25 of 54 (437 views)
Shortcut
You're talking about two different things [In reply to] Can't Post

The eagles showing up is a plot device, not a breaking of scientific laws.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.