Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Which biographical/thematic books about Tolkien's writing are worth reading?

malickfan
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 9:45am

Views: 231
Shortcut
Which biographical/thematic books about Tolkien's writing are worth reading? Can't Post

I personally find the history, how's and why's of Tolkien's work as fascinating as the writing itself, and I was wondering whether anyone could reccomend some additions to my Tolkien Book Shelf. I have read and enjoyed Author of the Century and The Road to Middle Earth by Tom Shippey, Tolkien and the Great War by John Garth, and the Letters and Biography of Tolkien by Carpenter-perhaps what some would call the basics, but fascinating reading all the same.

I have also read The History of the Hobbit, and roughly half of the H.O.M.E thus far...is it worth borrowing/buying The Annontated Hobbit as well? I have heard good things about The JRR Tolkien Readers Guide and Companion, but it seems to be pretty pricey at the moment...

On an another note, are there any plans to re-release Pictures by JRR Tolkien/Artist and Illustrator anytime soon? I have yet to see any copies on sale anywhere, and Amazon seems to be little use (only foreign language versions seem to be for sale-my French/German is rather sketchy to say the least!).

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Subject User Time
Which biographical/thematic books about Tolkien's writing are worth reading? malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jun 12 2013, 9:45am
    The Annotated Hobbit Findegil Send a private message to Findegil Jun 12 2013, 11:38am
        Thanks for the reply malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jun 12 2013, 11:49am
            Wayne and Christina are too modest Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jun 12 2013, 1:04pm
            The two art books Findegil Send a private message to Findegil Jun 13 2013, 12:30pm
        Alternate online source bruinen Send a private message to bruinen Jun 12 2013, 1:52pm
    Check your local library wildespace Send a private message to wildespace Jun 12 2013, 2:59pm
    not biographical at all, but Paul Kocher's book has some excellent literary analysis acheron Send a private message to acheron Jun 12 2013, 4:37pm
        Kocher is invaluable. squire Send a private message to squire Jun 12 2013, 7:47pm
    Which half of HOME? Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 12 2013, 7:02pm
        I own the whole set malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jun 12 2013, 7:48pm
    Rateliff's 'The History of The Hobbit' Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 12 2013, 9:03pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.