Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer right here: Post your reactions! (some Smaug spoilers in the trailer)
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Esmeralda
Bree

Jun 12 2013, 1:43am

Post #251 of 295 (784 views)
Shortcut
It sounded like [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili to me. Especially since Balin says 'Lad'.

Cool trailer. A bit heavy on elves and light on the Thorin, but I found it interesting that everyone was talking *to* Thorin, so it is his quest and his decisions that are still central to the story.

As someone else pointed out, Smaug's head gliding into frame almost exactly replicates the appearance of the dragon-kite in AUJ, which is a neat touch :).

I'm wondering where Kili got the bow and arrows he's holding in the barrel shot. Maybe from Tauriel? Giving him a chance against the orcs?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 1:45am

Post #252 of 295 (792 views)
Shortcut
Loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed the trailer, it is making me look forward to December more. I thought the start with the voiceover by Lee Pace as Thranduil was very nice. I liked the look of the new places - especially Mirkwood, the Woodland Realm, and the ruins of Dale. And the end with Smaug and Bilbo was great!

flameofudun
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 1:45am

Post #253 of 295 (785 views)
Shortcut
it was someone( by the look of it thorin) [In reply to] Can't Post

stepped on the key just as it was gonna fall off the ledge

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 1:54am

Post #254 of 295 (793 views)
Shortcut
Trailerese, action and bears [In reply to] Can't Post

My impression of trailers is that they always make a film look like wall-to-wall action sequences with a few crabbitty verbal confrontations and smooch kisses (if any) thrown in - this goes way back; I remember seeing James Bond trailers when I was a kid that seemed to consist entirely of car-chases taking place anywhere but on a road! So I am hoping that we'll get the quieter character moments as well. The butterfly scene was encouraging - was hoping for that, but afraid it and other things of that sort might get left out. I liked the look of the Elf-King's place, and Laketown, and am curious to see how Thranduil, Legolas and Tauriel will pan out.

A lot of the action (this was true in parts of AUJ too) goes literally too fast for me and too far away - I can't focus quickly enough to see who's doing what. I like a good battle, but for me the action stuff that works best is either "patterns" - where you get an overview of a phase in the fight or a tactical move (stuff like the testudo formation bringing up the battering-ram to the gates of Helm's Deep in TT; or Gandalf and Eomer's Riders careering down that steep hill to relieve the siege), or else close-up hand-to-hand stuff where there's time to see the reactions of the participants. So here, I rather liked the leaping elves - shades of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and they are elves, after all - but wished I could see them better.

The bear - that may not be their first introduction to Beorn - there's another possibility: In the book, they are given strict instructions not to go out at night; they don't, but hear noises all night, and find the tracks of dancing bears in the morning. If someone (perhaps one of the younger dwarves), did open the door out of curiosity, then you might get a scene like the one shown (and my word, won't Gandalf say "I told you so"!).

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 1:55am

Post #255 of 295 (762 views)
Shortcut
Good one :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely it qualifies... and it's the first one to go on my list :) THANKS!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 1:58am

Post #256 of 295 (767 views)
Shortcut
Great Obs! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first saw the "snow", I thought it might be ash. But the scene is obviously before the Company leaves for the Mountain. Lake-town is fantastic!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Dalgalad
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 1:59am

Post #257 of 295 (763 views)
Shortcut
I think Smaug looks great based on those images... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't overly impressed with the trailer, but now you've brightened things up a bit, you can see more of his shape. Looks a bit more bulky than I first thought,

His mouth curls up strangely at the front, but I guess this is to make the talking animation more believable (and I hope he'll get a lot of dialogue). Hopefully we'll see something better than Dragonheart...

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 2:24am

Post #258 of 295 (748 views)
Shortcut
Some of mine [In reply to] Can't Post

hey Q! Hows it going?

My reaction was that I enjoyed that trailer a lot! I kept playing it over and over. What music was that?

Sorry if the following have been mentioned already. I haven't read all of the posts before this one, but I mean to.

Radagast's crystal at the top of his staff is white, or pale blue. Not red, as it was in the previous movie.

"Don't think I won't kill you, Dwarf". Leggy sounds kinda defensive here, like he automatically assumes Thorin will somehow think Legs won't kill him. I think he's facing an inner struggle. He doesn't really believe in killing Dwarves, but he has to talk the talk in this instance.

His inner struggle will probably be a balancing act between his father's and Tauriel's influence.

Tauriel is all about killing evil. "When did we allow evil to become stronger than us?" "This is our fight!" She will probably represent the view that evil must be fought.

Thranduil in contrast will probably represent the view of self-interest and neutral isolationism. If that is right, then Legolas echoes his father's attitude in speaking with Tauriel isolationist, neutral attitude when speaking with Tauriel, i.e., "This is not our fight".

Bilbo didn't get any lines. That's a disappointment. Hopefully we'll hear from him in the next trailer. But at least he appeared in quite a few action-ish shots/glimpses. I like that he draws Sting. It will probably help him realize that the creature is not an Orc or Goblin.

About Beorn. I think the bear was Beorn...why would the trailer show a bear if it wasn't Beorn?

About Smaug....too dark to get a real opinion about how he looked. I liked the glowing red eye, which already sets him apart from other movie dragons. I like that he has a long snout, as opposed to short-snouted Draco from Dragonheart, which to me was a disappointment. I like that he's friggin' huge, i like the grinding sound effects when he moves. I was hoping to see, but didn't see, more of a sinister facial expression, evidencing a cunning, layered personality.

That's all I got for now. I feel like that kid in that tv commercial. "We want more! We want more! We really like it, we want more!" --RT

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

cats16
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 2:25am

Post #259 of 295 (760 views)
Shortcut
Another thing I noticed... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have the establishing shot of Laketown, with Bard's boat (from the scene in the sneak peek with the Company) being the only discernible moving object on the screen. The cool part is that the only things we can see on the boat are the barrels, standing up. Either Bard must have had them get inside of them to hide, or there is a place they are hiding inside the boat. I would guess he's helping them go unnoticed through the town, to remain inconspicuous.

Edit: Just paused it at 1080p, and I also see Bard (I'm pretty sure) moving the barrels around. There also looks like there's something inside of them. I obviously can't say with certainty that it is the dwarves, but that's what my guess is right now. I wish I could enlarge the image, though. It's at the 45 second mark if you want to find it quickly. Maybe it's my eyes playing tricks, but I feel like I'm seeing a little red head inside a barrel on the left.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jun 12 2013, 2:30am)

PattyJB
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 2:30am

Post #260 of 295 (742 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil lights! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Mirkwood version of "Galadriel lights" in Thranduil's eyes. Lee Pace looks and sounds wonderful, and Mirkwood in general looks lovely. I must say that Balin is my main dwarf and I loved his delivery of the dragon line. Heart Tauriel looks much better here than in the stills, which is not really a surprise to me, as I think Lilly typically acts better when in action. And as others have mentioned, I think we have a good idea of Legolas' arc / set-up for LotR.

I liked the brief touches of the iconic Bilbo scenes: They show just enough to raise a frisson of excitement, but leave me anticipating the entirety of the scenes.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 2:39am

Post #261 of 295 (777 views)
Shortcut
I am THRILLED with this trailer! [In reply to] Can't Post

AND with the promise of some fantastic storylines! I'm intrigued by Tauriel. When she's speaking with Legolas, she reminds me (in voice and demeanor) of Arwen. I admit I've avoided spoilers and comments about her just so I could experience her like this... and I'm delighted! Seeing Legolas again is AWESOME! Expanding his story and how it will impact his part in the Fellowship has got me so torqued!

Lake-town is stunning! Thranduil and his realm... WOW! That spider coming up behind Bilbo *shudder* reminds me so much of when Shelob was moving in on Frodo in the pass, but Bilbo knows what's coming!

I absolutely love how this trailer ends with Bilbo looking at Smaug's stealthy approach the same way AUJ ended with Bilbo looking up at Gollum's stealthy approach.

Cripes, I'm getting overwhelmed just thinking about this again! I saw it for the first time when I was at work just sneaking a peak when the trailer first played... and I was bowled over! Then I realized 3 of my co-workers had rushed over to me in my little cubicle... "Are you okay!?" I had tears in my eyes and my hands covering my mouth... headphones still on... "It's the new Hobbit trailer!" They smiled, rolled their eyes at me and walked back to their desks shaking their heads and laughing. I looked up at the last of my friends who was peeking at my screen and I asked why everyone came over? She chuckled, "We heard you go 'OMG... you gasped... then whimpered. We thought something happened!" *sigh*

I've just spent 2 hours looking through all of the reactions/comments here for our list... and it reminds me so much of what happened when the LotR films and AUG were released. Jackson is not doing the Book... he's telling us his version/interpretation of The Hobbit. I don't want him to "do the book". I like that The Hobbit book is left intact in all its glory. I LOVE what Jackson/Boyens/Walsh did with the story for AUJ, and I can't WAIT to see what treasures they have for us in DOS and TABA. It's like having MORE Tolkien! And to finally have this collection of characters brought to life through these incredible players is such a thrill!

I want to be swept away in these films. I don't want to know what's coming next. I am so grateful that we have The Hobbit on film at all... let alone THREE films! The Hobbit was so close to not happening. I don't think we really comprehend what a struggle it was just to get to the green light and a GO given to making it. If it hadn't been for Jackson's persistence and tenacious belief in this story and Tolkien's work through years of litigation and pitfalls, we wouldn't have this at all. So whatever he does to tell us this story, I appreciate it BIG TIME!

I'm going to enjoy the ride... revel in the discovery... fall in love with The Hobbit all over again.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 2:49am

Post #262 of 295 (715 views)
Shortcut
Such refreshing comments! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, the feeling I had earlier in the day is restored!!Smile

Some of the earlier comments had me slumping a little bit, but now I feel much, much better. You've really spoken to many of my thoughts, as well.

*runs with a smile and watches the trailer again for the 234th time*

Cool

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 2:58am

Post #263 of 295 (698 views)
Shortcut
Me too, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love reading your thoughts. Smile Your enthusiasm is always so much fun!

And how touching that your coworkers were so concerned for you -- LOL! You must be pretty entertaining to them.

I heartily agree: I want to be swept away by these films, and I can't wait. It's a long-anticipated journey and it's great to get to geek out about it here. Smile

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 3:00am

Post #264 of 295 (696 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that'd be Kili. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The bear - that may not be their first introduction to Beorn - there's another possibility: In the book, they are given strict instructions not to go out at night; they don't, but hear noises all night, and find the tracks of dancing bears in the morning. If someone (perhaps one of the younger dwarves), did open the door out of curiosity, then you might get a scene like the one shown (and my word, won't Gandalf say "I told you so"!).

Don't you just know he's got to have a few Pippin-like moments? Can't you just hear Gandalf thundering at him: "FOOL OF A DURIN!"

Kili probably just thought he'd go out for a nice moon-lit stroll...pet a bear along the way...

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 3:25am

Post #265 of 295 (663 views)
Shortcut
boot [In reply to] Can't Post

you forgot a really interesting half second- we see the bottom half of Bilbo, and a dwarf boot seemingly stomping on a chain and breaking it and the chain falls- I saw the still from the earlier poster who posted the link to 57 screenshots-and it's.....

THORIN'S BOOT.

Are we going to see the confrontation between Bilbo and Thorin over the arkenstone in DOS??????

He must be pretty darn pissed to be able to stomp a chain in half like that!

now my curiosity won't last six months!!!! Frown

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 3:58am

Post #266 of 295 (666 views)
Shortcut
Google Search [In reply to] Can't Post

Golly. 260+ posts and accelerating.

No one is going to remember this post.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 4:27am

Post #267 of 295 (622 views)
Shortcut
Love it [In reply to] Can't Post

Love your post. Such energy coming from it. Cool

totoro
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 5:47am

Post #268 of 295 (588 views)
Shortcut
Excellent trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have lived with a slower pace than what is undoubtedly coming, but I am a huge fan of every LotR/TH movie so far. I have no doubt I will love this, too.

Now that they seem to have set up Tauriel to have a relatively straight-forward influence on Legolas, I am a bit concerned for her life. Legolas was interested in helping the fellowship, and ventured out of his woodland realm to do so, but why was he still fairly unfriendly to dwarves? I think perhaps Tauriel dies in this one and Legolas honors her memory by getting involved, but never quite forgives the dwarves who brought on her (perhaps) death.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 6:06am

Post #269 of 295 (572 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree with you, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

You wrote exactly what I was thinking! I am so very glad PJ decided to fight for The Hobbit. I'm expecting to see DoS as many times in the theatre as I did TT. 22. Legolas will always be my favorite. I'll try to keep my happy squeals to myself in the theatre, though no promises at the midnight showing!
By the way, I turn 60 this year, so I was never a teen fan of Legolas, just a very discerning woman who knows hotness when she sees it.Evil

Retro315
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 6:37am

Post #270 of 295 (583 views)
Shortcut
REACTION [In reply to] Can't Post

Right, well, the trailer itself.

I can't help but be excited. I had my nitpicks but most had to do with the unfinished CGI; that much seems clear, I was thinking it before I read anybody else feeling the same and I did flashback and remember previous trailers not looking as good as the finished product. Adding to that - I rewatch the Trilogy a lot and honestly, while the CGI holds up really well, sharply, with great design and artistry, it doesn't hold up THAT well. Let's just say everything from Cave-trolls to Legolas-stand-ins to army scenes ... and even Hellhawks and Gollum in the wrong lighting ... can look a bit fake. (I'll abstain from any extensive ranting about "Jim Cameron Effect" or just my genuine disdain for CGI when puppetry and models are so freaking incredible.)

As for the contents, it seemed clear that it's firstly comprised of the sort of fleeting action shots that make up minimal amounts of the typical Jackson Middle-earth experience. We know the charm of these movies is actors in costumes acting at each other with charm and emotion, and what we really want to see is just Freeman and McKellan talking. You know, the other 80% of the film.

Everything else seems okay. The focus on the Elves is clearly a conscious decision to spotlight this "next region". It dawned on me that Tauriel may be an invention, but the Elf Captain isn't - casting that role as female and with more lines doesn't hurt my feelings. Plus I've got a soft spot for Elves that look like Link from Legend of Zelda.

Smaug is pretty cool; just enough to be like HOLY COW WAIT WHAT? but not give away the whole shebang. Anyway, the selection of shots really emphasized the fleeting manic moments, and not what I know the movie will really be made up of, mostly. Typical move to sell a product to the action fantasy junkies and laymen out there.

So I have criticisms, but I'm pretty damned excited.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 7:07am

Post #271 of 295 (556 views)
Shortcut
It looks like PJ has added some action in to finding the Hidden Door... [In reply to] Can't Post

With Thorin nearly loosing the Key. That would've been a bummer, wouldn't it!

I think the trailer is very re-watchable, and gets better each time. My first reaction on watching it was concerned by the amount CGI. After watching it more, it does get better and better.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 7:13am

Post #272 of 295 (551 views)
Shortcut
Cheers, gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading through the - how many? - pages of this thread that have gone up since I went to bed I was starting to feel I'd slipped into a parallel universe. Yesterday I watched a spellbinding trailer full of the beautiful, the unexpected - and watched it, and watched it.... And the first reactions were overwhelmingly positive. Other posters really enjoyed it too. This morning it's all meh, this was wrong.... meh, that was wrong... didn't like this, didn't like that, hated this, hated that....

Nothing wrong with reasoned criticism, of course, but your post and your enthusiasm restored the mood and I thank you for it. And now I'm off to watched the trailer again! Wink

namarie
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 7:29am

Post #273 of 295 (561 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the trailer more than once now [In reply to] Can't Post

and I love it!
The only bit that still doesn't work for me is the revealing of Smaug but the rest is perfection.
I love Thraduil and his halls, Erebor , Laketown, Beorn,Bard, Tauriel and Legolas. The dialog between Legolas and Tauriel gets me excited about their story.
I don't mind that the trailer is concentrating on Elves a lot. Give me any chance to spend more time in the Elven realm and I'll take it :)
It's obvious that there are a lot of changes from the book but I will judge those when I will see the movie and not from a trailer.
So overall I like the trailer and it got me all excited for the next movie. Can't wait for December now.

“The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!”

Bandit
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 7:33am

Post #274 of 295 (571 views)
Shortcut
Evidence of unfinished CGI? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/the-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-luke-evans.jpg

Why is there a pale,translucent white polygon around Luke Evan's face?

I think this shows that the CGI in many shots is unfinished.

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 8:41am

Post #275 of 295 (501 views)
Shortcut
Well, I agree too Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the trailer and am looking forward to December. My first reaction was WOW- but then doubts crept in when I read some of the less enthusiastic posts, so I watched it a few times more. Sure some of the CGI is still a bit ropey (the elves in the trees look like something out of an Avatar video game and I really don't know what they have done to Orlando's face- especially the eyes- instead of blue contacts he seems to have "laser eyes") and I hope they tidy it up- but the essence is there. As for character scenes- well I've never seen too many of those in any trailer for any "big" film- the teaser trailer IMV is just there to grab attention- which this one surely did! Having considered all of this, I am still looking forward to the next two films greatly.

I can understand those who have a longstanding attachment to the book feeling aggrieved to an extent- in the past there have been a few books that I have loved which have, in my view been mistranslated to screen (P&P with Keira Knightly and Watership Down when I was a kid spring to mind). I vehemently refused to rewatch these for a while, but later, I have been able to separate book from film in my mind and to enjoy the films on subsequent DVD viewings. Fortunately for me, I don't have that kind of relationship with The Hobbit, so I can better accept the changes and enjoy both book and film for what they are.Smile

PS Dormouse- I think you can come out of your teapot again now- Kel's gone to bed!- or has she?Wink

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.