The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why not use miniatures for Laketown?

Scourge of the Stoors
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 5:31am

Post #1 of 10 (545 views)
Shortcut
Why not use miniatures for Laketown? Can't Post

In the trailer, Laketown looks bad. Like, it looks like a cutscene from an Assasin's Creed game. You could argue that the CG will be touched up, that it will look better later, yada yada, but why even use such extensive CG in the first place when a miniature would have done the trick?

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 6:38am

Post #2 of 10 (363 views)
Shortcut
My feelings [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think Laketown looked horrible but I definitely think it looked CGI. There was a wide shot of Rivendel in the second AUJ trailer that looked CGI as well. I was happy when it didn't make the final cut. So maybe the same thing will happen with that shot of Laketown.

As far as miniatures go, it's to my knowledge they aren't using them on these films because of a combination of 3D, 48fps, and the 4K resolution. So every environment that would normally be miniature is CGI.

For the most part I think WETA did a good job of this. But there's still something about the environments that doesn't seem as substantial as miniature environments.

And I think a lot of the reason why a lot of people complain about too much CGI is that there just is too much CGI work that has to be done with the added environments. My theory is that they have to spend more time on that stuff and that takes away from their time to spend on CGI with other areas. I think that's why we are getting some sub par CGI. There's just so much that the animators have to work on. A lot more than with LOTR. Additionally, you aren't getting integration of CGI and realistic bits; it's a lot of CGI on top of CGI now.

This has been the most upsetting bit to me. I really wish PJ had just filmed these the way he did LOTR (maybe not on film). I think he sacrificed a lot of his methods (that were held in high regard by many) in order to accommodate the new technology. And I think this has made the overall aesthetic of the film very different from LOTR to where at some parts it doesn't feel like it's in the same universe.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 6:39am

Post #3 of 10 (335 views)
Shortcut
3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Due to the 3D-cameras, it was impossible to use miniatures on this movie. Everything was done digital. :)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 11:57am

Post #4 of 10 (232 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

How different perceptions can be.

When I saw the scenery in the trailer I immediately put them up there with the sets from LotR in my mind.

Laketown being my absolute favourite and worthy of the company of Minas Tirith and Edoras. Although I also loved Thranduil's Halls which seem to be a mix of Moria and Caras Galadhon.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 1:20pm

Post #5 of 10 (201 views)
Shortcut
It is interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How different perceptions can be.

When I saw the scenery in the trailer I immediately put them up there with the sets from LotR in my mind.

Laketown being my absolute favourite and worthy of the company of Minas Tirith and Edoras. Although I also loved Thranduil's Halls which seem to be a mix of Moria and Caras Galadhon.

Actually, after having looked at it 1million times (lol) I really think Laketown looks great. I think i just didn't like it at first because it was so quick and lit very brightly.

I love Thranduil's halls as well. But I think my favorite so far is that shot of Dale from AUJ. That, to me just looked so fantastic. I wonder if they used some shots from the actual set with CGI to make the whole city of Dale.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 1:39pm

Post #6 of 10 (180 views)
Shortcut
especially dale in the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Tibet style. Pure genius imho.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 1:57pm

Post #7 of 10 (174 views)
Shortcut
I agree about cgi [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the human brain is cleverer than we think. when we see something 'real' like a set or a minature/bigature we unconsciously know its physical and actually exists in 3D, thats why it fools our brains and we get that wow factor we had in LOTR. the computer generated landscapes may be technically stunning to look at but we know it aint real and its all in a computer. in that way our brains take us out of the scene because we are thinking (whether we are aware of it or not) 'oh this is cool cgi, look at the special effects', end of magic. and a nagging feeling of dissatisfaction but you cant figure out exactly why. Its different with Avatar because its pretty much all computer generated.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 2:26pm

Post #8 of 10 (160 views)
Shortcut
Lake town and Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

What we saw of both I thought looked pretty darn cool. I wasn't sure if what we saw of Lake Town wasn't a miniature or at least a bigature.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 2:39pm

Post #9 of 10 (154 views)
Shortcut
since they built a pretty big set [In reply to] Can't Post

It could unsres be a mix.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 2:45pm

Post #10 of 10 (149 views)
Shortcut
That was my thought [In reply to] Can't Post

As well. It may not be the case but it was the thought that hit me first.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.