Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer right here: Post your reactions! (some Smaug spoilers in the trailer)
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 11:01pm

Post #226 of 295 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I went in with low expectations, and still wound up disappointed. More over-the-top unrealistic fight scenes, more PJ alterations/inventions, Azog looks just as cartoonish as ever, Smaug looked like the dragon kite in the AUJ prologue. Just about everything that bothered me about AUJ, looks to be part of DoS in spades. If this trailer is any indication, Jackson has not learned anything from AUJ's mixed reception. Obviously, I'll have to wait and see the film first, but this trailer did nothing to reassure me.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 11:04pm

Post #227 of 295 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Interesting Hypothesis. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll take a guess and say it's not Smaug. I think
it may be a proto, along the lines of one used for
AUJ. But weighing various pieces of infomation, I
draw the conclusion that this is not the dragon
Smaug that will be in DoS. 2 cents.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 11:07pm

Post #228 of 295 (1086 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's that the cgi is worse... [In reply to] Can't Post

how can cgi be worse than 10 years ago?

I think it's that Jackson is over-relying on it and stretching it to it's limit. The "secret" barrel escape, which is now apparently a chase/fight action sequence, looked particularly cartoonish.

Joe20
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 11:08pm

Post #229 of 295 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Everyone seems [In reply to] Can't Post

to be complaining about the shot of legolas' sliding in. Saying it is really bad CG. That shot is real. It was in the DOS sneak peak. Now obviously there were green screens in the shot but unless they've done a 180 and used a digital double there (which i'm pretty sure they haven't, since its quite clearly him when you pause it) it isn't bad cgi.

One thing that I'm noticing again here is how jarring the change from set to location is. The scene with Legolas and Tauriel outside stands out like a sore thumb, unfortunately. It's a shame more of it wasn't shot on location.

In fact, I may be wrong but is that the only shot in the entire trailer that is on location?! Unimpressed The 'was that an earthquake' shot was on location from what I remember in the sneak peek but here it looks like a set...

tolktolk
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 11:17pm

Post #230 of 295 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Yes ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Most critics found something to enjoy in AUJ (mainly the lead performances and standout scenes like Riddles) but the consensus was that it was overlong, with far too much badly done CGI and was bloated and overstuffed (the two most commonly used adjectives) with extraneous invented characters and storylines which were developed at the expense of the core characters, especially Bilbo who disappeared in the middle of his own story and the dwarves, most of whom remained an amorphous mass at the end of three hours.

All of which seems to describe this trailer exactly!

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 11:19pm

Post #231 of 295 (1046 views)
Shortcut
cg [In reply to] Can't Post

if you pause it legolas' 'face' is literally wrapped around his head, its definitely horrid cg.

watching this trailer again, i noticed something, legolas is in it the most!!!! its so annoying, its like theyve panicked and decided orlando will win back all thefans, sucks!!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 11:24pm

Post #232 of 295 (1049 views)
Shortcut
best trailer ever [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe people are hating all the cgi and action, it's 2013 this is how it has to be and it's how it should be. I thought everything was perfect.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 11:25pm

Post #233 of 295 (1043 views)
Shortcut
I fear seeing this in theaters [In reply to] Can't Post

and being surrounded by squealing Bloom fan girls. Oh god, why?

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

Joe20
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 11:28pm

Post #234 of 295 (1013 views)
Shortcut
I really don't think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a look here...
http://oi44.tinypic.com/qpnyvd.jpg I highly doubt that is a digital double or any other form of major manipulation to the original shot.

Which is here btw...

http://oi39.tinypic.com/1jlndd.jpg

imin
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 11:34pm

Post #235 of 295 (988 views)
Shortcut
Why in the trailer shot [In reply to] Can't Post

Is everything blue? looked better when it was just the regular set

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 11:37pm

Post #236 of 295 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Strongly disagree with this sentiment... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's 2013 this is how it has to be and it's how it should be

I wanted to see "The Hobbit", this is "The Hobbit on Steroids". IMO, bigger isn't always better.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 11:39pm

Post #237 of 295 (976 views)
Shortcut
nah [In reply to] Can't Post

his hands and head have been messed with, legolas' face is cgi all over in everyshot, its obvious. compare his nice clean looking elf face to something else.

doesnt help those tree hoppng elves dont even look ps4 quality

why am i watching a hobbit trailer with so much legolas screwing it up!!!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 11:46pm

Post #238 of 295 (984 views)
Shortcut
how is it a bad thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still the story from the book. People just hate action and cgi for the sake it.

Sam20
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 11:52pm

Post #239 of 295 (947 views)
Shortcut
Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

The trailer is exciting but I had some difficulties recognizing the tale of The Hobbit in there. New characters, scenes, speeches. It is a long way from the little book which I enjoyed so much. They've kept the butterfly moment untouched though and I appreciate it.

But I will see this film in theather and hopefully enjoy it as I did with the first part. Smaug looks too much of a computer CGI. Perhaps they could make some late adjustements and improve it. I must admit that Tauriel which I've criticized much looks not bad at all. I still don't really see the need of this though. But they have to fill the movies with ''sideline stories'' to make a trilogy out of it. Bard is nice though I thought he was older in the book. Nice to see Legolas, hopefully they'll not make such a fuss of him in the films.

On a note of ten:

6/10

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jun 11 2013, 11:57pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 12:00am

Post #240 of 295 (932 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about that [In reply to] Can't Post

Its a pretty good trailer and I think this part is going to be freaking cool as all get out but I wouldn't call it the best ever. I share your excitement though. Cool

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 12:10am

Post #241 of 295 (909 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

To me Smaug looks quite a bit like a giant eel. And just like an eel, he has a very ancient and unsympathetic look to him, but with a lot more cold intelligent in his eyes. He even seems to be moving in the trailer like a giant worm (or eel). To me he looks absolutely great so far. And I have little doubt he'll be an impressive and terryfying creature to behold come december.

But maybe they should have left his reveal to the movie. Seeing Smaug first time on a small screen in a quick, out of context, low resolution shot on youtube just isn't going to match all the hype. As predicted, many will say: "I don't get what the big deal was - he looks like a dragon".

EDIT: here's a link of a giant eel for comparison http://reefguide.org/pix/giantmoray2.jpg

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Jun 12 2013, 12:11am)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 12:11am

Post #242 of 295 (913 views)
Shortcut
I don't hate action and cgi, only when I find it excessive... [In reply to] Can't Post

And while it is based on the story from the book, it's so heavily altered and covered up with so many extraneous layers that it is hard to recognize it as the same story, at least in my eyes.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jun 12 2013, 12:12am)

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 12:27am

Post #243 of 295 (880 views)
Shortcut
Many types of dragons... [In reply to] Can't Post

Every culture has their "pre-disposed" idea of what a dragon looks like. In Japanese culture, sea horses are called "baby dragons". In China, dragons look more like lions crossed with eels. In India, dragons have the head of a human and the body of a serpent. To me, this dragon looks like the typical medieval version of a dragon, and I can't see how he won't be utterly awesome :)

"And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people."~John Harrison..?

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 12:39am

Post #244 of 295 (902 views)
Shortcut
YEESH [In reply to] Can't Post

As a movie fan, this trailer did nothing for me. As a Hobbit fan, this is the worst thing I could have possibly seen.

When you release a trailer for a movie called "THE HOBBIT," based on a book called "THE HOBBIT," and a made-up elf character gets more lines than the title character, you know a ball has been dropped. Big time. We get a couple reaction shots from Bilbo, and that's it. Did he even have a line? I thought I heard a laugh at one point, but that may have just been my mind playing tricks on me. Instead, this trailer was elf after elf after elf, and the two that show up the most aren't even in the book. Grievous misstep. Just absolutely inexcusable.

The over-saturation of dodgy CGI is simply mind-boggling. Everyone was up in arms at the very notion that someone other than Peter Jackson make these films. It might as well be a different director, with how disturbingly different these look from the Lord of the Rings films. This movie looks like someone handed a $200 million dollar budget to Pixar. It might as well be a damn cartoon. Beorn looked simply atrocious (and they couldn't even get the color right), Smaug is devastatingly generic, and Azog continues to unimpress. Then you throw in the blatant CG doubles and painfully obvious CG landscapes, and suddenly you're not in Middle-earth anymore. You're in a computer.

The elegance and simplicity of this story appears to have been cast aside in favor of taking every small event in the novel and blowing it up into an unnecessary and over-the-top action sequence with absolutely no regard for even the most basic principle of physics. How am I expected to care what happens to these characters when half of them are flying around like Spider-Man? Weightless, emotionless, tensionless popcorn fluff. It's just visual assault after visual assault.

Truthfully, the only thing in this trailer that I genuinely liked was Thranduil. Lee Pace nailed it to the wall. Everything else ranged from forgetful to downright offensive. Just an all-around disappointing trailer. The Hobbit fan in me is sick.

(This post was edited by duats on Jun 12 2013, 12:40am)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 12:39am

Post #245 of 295 (861 views)
Shortcut
I still loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

A few flaws, but we always have the books .. its an adaptation and as close to getting to ME on the Silver Screen as we will ever get so take it for what its worth.

PS that was a bear ... look at the snout ... I've seen enough real bears in my yard to know the difference

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

nenyacaster
Bree

Jun 12 2013, 12:41am

Post #246 of 295 (876 views)
Shortcut
wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

A very exciting trailer, it looks like we will really enter the worlds of Mirkwood, laketown... When I was reading the book I pictured the hidden door being in a green, bucolic mountain setting. Not so bleak. I agree this is probably not the finished Smaug that we're seeing. I like Tauriel, but I hope she isn't the only woman in the movie. And I'm still holding out Thranduil's wife/Legolas' mother will appear or at least be mentioned as having existed at some point. We don't need to continue the Elrond-Denethor-Theoden trend of kings with children but no wives/mothers that was made in the LOTR films. I think the story of Elrond's wife could be a movie in of itself, but unless procreation happens in some bizzare way for noblemen of middle earth, I want to hear something about these Queens.

Heatherleawv
Bree

Jun 12 2013, 12:57am

Post #247 of 295 (836 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

really enjoyed the trailer! 6 months to go! Smile

All that glitters is not gold...

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 12:59am

Post #248 of 295 (829 views)
Shortcut
I liked Beorn, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved them pushing him out...it looks to be right after they arrive (Thorin's face is still cut up), so I'm guessing we don't ge the "2x2" scene in the book. I've seen some bears up close and personal, too, while four-wheeling. I stayed away because it was a mother bear and her cubs.

"And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people."~John Harrison..?

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Jun 12 2013, 1:07am

Post #249 of 295 (844 views)
Shortcut
The foot...? [In reply to] Can't Post

What is the significance of this shot...?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 1:39am

Post #250 of 295 (795 views)
Shortcut
WHich shot? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean the one at 1:23? This appears to be a shot of Bilbo and a Dwarf (Thorin?) standing near the edge of something, and there is a rope there that is sliding down over the edge. The foot (of the Dwarf) seems to be trying to stamp on it to stop it falling, but missing. From Bilbo's dress I take it this is after Laketown.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.