Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer right here: Post your reactions! (some Smaug spoilers in the trailer)
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 11 2013, 9:58pm

Post #201 of 295 (1547 views)
Shortcut
If you look closely... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually a different sword in both shots you mention. In the barrels, he is holding an Orc sword, similar to the one Elrond as in AUJ.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 9:58pm

Post #202 of 295 (1559 views)
Shortcut
What worries me about the CGI.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that we had this exact same reaction last year to the AUJ trailers -"Too much CGI", "The shots aren't finished yet, the CGI will be ready for the film". And yet, despite our hopes of the effects improving, the final movie included that AWFULLY bad CGI bunny sled chase and the wholly unrealistic goblins.

I can only say that this time I hope they WILL clear up and firm up the shots - especially those elf fighting scenes or this movie will receive much the same criticism as AUJ.

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 10:00pm

Post #203 of 295 (1531 views)
Shortcut
And that is why... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Smaug will be awesome. I don't think you can find a more menacing voice than that of Benedict Cumberbatch. He's such a great and talented voice actor that he could make Russian sock-puppet Smaug scary as hell.

"And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people."~John Harrison..?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 11 2013, 10:01pm

Post #204 of 295 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Don't fret yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

A trailer is designed to entice people (not just us fans) in. They've done a pretty good job of that. A trailer doesn't need to say anything about the actual plot, just to show the film off a bit.

The trailer might concentrate on the Elves, but who knows what the overall film is like. The trailer doesn't need to be about Bilbo, for the film to be about Bilbo.

Smile

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 10:04pm

Post #205 of 295 (1520 views)
Shortcut
It's not Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

As you can see here. The blade is long and straight, not curved. As for the barrel escape it looks more like an orc scimitar.

http://imgur.com/a/1Wcba

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

(This post was edited by bungobaggins on Jun 11 2013, 10:05pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 10:08pm

Post #206 of 295 (1511 views)
Shortcut
ahh [In reply to] Can't Post

closer analysis of smaug, i think he is looking terrible, a cross between a dog and a crocodile eurrghh, he even walks like a dog in auj.
i pray its a trick, cos he looked great in the end of auj.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Jun 11 2013, 10:08pm)
Attachments: smaug.jpg (43.8 KB)
  smaug2.jpg (42.9 KB)

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 10:10pm

Post #207 of 295 (1461 views)
Shortcut
Good catch [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched the trailer 15 times at least and never noticed that.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 10:10pm

Post #208 of 295 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Come here Smaug! Here boy! *whistles* [In reply to] Can't Post

Woof woof! Laugh

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 10:13pm

Post #209 of 295 (1432 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I do as well :) It's consistent with a bear's features, especially that snout and teeth.

p.s. I agree with you on the CGI thing...I think the elves in the trees was a little *too* fluid-looking, otherwise CGI doesn't bother me at all.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 10:15pm

Post #210 of 295 (1444 views)
Shortcut
thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

this is our very first view of Smaug, he should have been perfect, why on earth would they risk a trailer with half done special effects, surely they would at least have finished him? seeing as he is kind of important.

what worries me most is the fake cgi everywhere, those Elves in the trees looked obviously fake even to me, and I aint no expert, but it stood out, how can cgi be worse than 10 years ago?

even Spiderman films from years back look better than that.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 10:15pm

Post #211 of 295 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Smaug looked great [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he looked pretty darn fantastic in what we saw. I can't wait to see the full look when the movie happens.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 11 2013, 10:16pm

Post #212 of 295 (1422 views)
Shortcut
It's Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like his voice to me, you see him standing in the background, and I'd say this is confirmed because Balin calls him 'Laddie'.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 10:20pm

Post #213 of 295 (1450 views)
Shortcut
I think Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like a cross between a duck-billed platypus and T-Rex, and beorn looks like a very angry Luck Dragon from Neverendng story

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 10:21pm

Post #214 of 295 (1423 views)
Shortcut
They have to show unfinished things nowadays [In reply to] Can't Post

because the fans clamor and beg for scraps at the table like dogs for anything before the film comes out. Studios comply and force filmmakers to release pieces into the wild unfinished and out of context. I am part of the problem.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

jtarkey
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 10:22pm

Post #215 of 295 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it seems like something he would say. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, they should have just given Bilbos character to Ori, since he is obviously the most out of place. And then they could have renamed the film "The Dwarf" which would be more fitting so far anyways. And he already has more lines than Bilbo does in that trailer.

At this point, it seems like Jackson could be like "Hey guys, I hope it's cool that I'm gonna put in a disco dance off as a replacement for the Battle of Five Armies! Don't worry though, it's totally in the spirit of Tolkien" and everyone would be like "AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

MadgeBishop
Bree

Jun 11 2013, 10:23pm

Post #216 of 295 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Trailer a reaction to press criticism? [In reply to] Can't Post

Many, if not the majority, of press reviews considered AUJ to start slowly and only become interesting once the our intrepid gang reached the Misty Mountains. The Bag End scenes were seen as too slow by many.

Is this trailer therefore something of a reaction to this concern? An all action trailer suggests a faster moving film. Whilst I suspect, given the content, DOS will be more action packed I think it's safe to assume the entire film is not reflected in this trailer...there will be, I imagine, slower character based scenes too.

My only concern is that, for me, AUJ is fabulous until they leave Rivendell where I feel the film descended into unnecessarily overblown action sequences which I didn't hate, but did not feel the sense of both awe and emotion that I felt in LOTR (especially FOTR). I feel Peter is prone to over embellishment of scenes (King Kong is, for me, ruined by the ridiculous Skull Island sequences) and I expect this'll irritate me a little in DOS as it did in AUJ (a little respect for the laws of physics when falling/jumping would be good). However, it is still a film based on Tolkien and I'm sure my enjoyment will outweigh my concerns although I'll never love this trilogy as I do LOTR. Then again, I significantly prefer the LOTR book to The Hobbit too...

You know, I miss the realism of LOTR...the dirt under the fingernails, the nails through the Black Rider's horse's foot...I just don't get that feel once we get out into the Wild.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 10:26pm

Post #217 of 295 (1382 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought that too the first time I saw him. His snout looks like someone punched on it.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 10:27pm

Post #218 of 295 (1406 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

- Smaug seems to be a classic dragon... YES!!!!

- Thranduil is epicness

- His halls as well. Even his son whom I hated in both book and movies so far.

- Evangeline could be one of the best Elves so far... love especially how her character is involved in the "this is going to be the war of ALL FREE PEOPLES at some point" story

- Laketown, Mirkwood and Erebor seem superior to most of the sets from LotR juding from these view glimpses

- the desolation seems to be portrayed better than I ever thought it could look and feel like

Negative bits:

- Bear... if it is the bear.
- The Elves in the branches of the trees and Legolas sliding.
- Thrain's (?) jump

All in all: exactly what was needed marketing-wise at this point in time.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 11 2013, 10:29pm)

TolkienLocked
The Shire

Jun 11 2013, 10:27pm

Post #219 of 295 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not fussed as to what he looks like as long as they keep him red! We don't want no purple Smaug.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 10:31pm

Post #220 of 295 (1382 views)
Shortcut
The story of DOS is articulated poetically and bluntly in the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

by the wonderful Lee Pace:

"Yo dwarves, especially Thorin, you want to take back your house and kill the current squatter?" And then he winks at the camera. Cut to lots of action!

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 10:36pm

Post #221 of 295 (1326 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there is too much CGI. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think that if they are using that much of it, it should be a high priority because using it a lot makes it a primary factor in audience reaction and film quality.

I think along the lines of a rule: Don't use CGI in a scene unless you are ready to do it right. I think most of the scenes were awesome. I loved the lighting effects on main character elves and the way it makes them look "otherworldly". I didn't have a problem with the bear, either. But then there were the elves in the trees - mostly pretty good - but obviously not given the same attention to the rest. I really have become convinced that the greater part of the vexing over AUJ came from inconsistency of quality. If Gollum is that awesome then it is obvious that the rest of it could have been and depending on a person's personality - that can be no big deal or a trigger that pulls them out of the story.

Maybe CGI seems like an attractive way to cut costs compared to highering live actors - but if every single frame is held to an equal high standard - then such corners shouldn't be cut. In fact, it hurts the movie a lot for a large portion of the audience when some CGI moments are amazing and others do look like a video game (in all honesty).

<soap box off>

Again - most of this was awesome. I am very impressed. I don't think it could have succeeded at the same level without some creative license and I adore what they did with characters and interesting plot lines - I honestly feel that even after having read the book so many times, I could not tell what will happen next in the movie (precisely) - which makes it more entertaining. I would just hate to see all the good work of so many people judged by the quality of the least attended to CGI scene - which is how some critics seem to operate in some situations.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 10:50pm

Post #222 of 295 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Late to the party here, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was fantastic. I've only been able to watch it a few times, so I'm not too deep in the weeds yet. However, as thrilled as I am to have seen Smaug, I wanted more Beorn, and indeed I wish we had seen Mikael Persbrant in non-bear form (although we only got to see enraged snout on the actual bear).

You obviously do not worship at the altar of Lee Pace. He rocks those eyebrows. Of course, they look better on him when he's his natural brunette (could we be seeing the beginning of Thranduil-eyebrow threads, similar to Thorin's hair?).

In Reply To
- Snow (and ice) throughout Erebor, Dale and Laketown. Chilly!
- The Hidden Door appears to be behind one of the big Dwarf Statues (which I said it would be!)
- Thorin also nearly drops the key off the edge.
- No lids on the barrels ...
- Why are there slugs on Thranduil's brow?
- All the Elves (Chasing the barrels) seem to have similar hair to Tauriel
- Is that just a bear, or Beorn!bear?
- What is that Elf pointing out to Legolas? Probably leaving Thranduil's Halls?
- Thorin opens the Hidden Door at night/sunset (phew)
- Also seems to be something above the door, inside the tunnel - a carving maybe?
- Bilbo is in the water ... but not invisible
- CGI of the chamber seems a bit off, but Smaug looks good
- Is that the same Smaug from AUJ? We need a comparison.

I enjoyed it overall. Too much CGI though. General public will be left baffled - doesn't really get across any of the story, does it?

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 10:51pm

Post #223 of 295 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Didn't know Christopher Tolkien visited these forums.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hardly recognise Tolkiens work amongst all the popcorn crap

But seriously I agree with you, a souless overblown, underwhelming mishmash, and If this is the direction the films are going in I honestly can't see why PJ called them 'Hobbit' films...

Of course the main flaw with the film will be the abscence of the talking purse...

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 10:52pm

Post #224 of 295 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Looks awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome trailer, Got some really cool glimpses of some really great looking sequences such as the Dwarves looking out at the ruins of Dale, climbing the statue, and Bilbo with his back to the tree as the spider climbs up it. I was surprised by how bright and sunny some of the sequences seemed to be. Especially Azog climbing up the wall, which was a really cool shot IMO. His evil grin makes it for me. Some of the CGI looked like it still had some work to done but that's what the next 5 months are for.

Pretty shocked to see Smaug already. I thought they would a least give a hint towards him and save the reveal for the film. I'm wondering if they're planning to save his voice as the big reveal. Or is this a red heron? His head reminds a bit of the raptors from Jurassic Park.

Yes, my username is terrible.

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 10:55pm

Post #225 of 295 (1290 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not very fond of this trailer, but it does, strangely put my mind at peace concerning the film.

1) It does seem like WB asked for an action-packed trailer, with little exposition/dialogue/character, as a response to the critique on AUJ. But, they are still clearly working on the visual effects, which is why all the action shots (except for Legolas sliding in the dark part of mirkwood, and gandalf/thrain) come from one (hopefully unfinished) action scene, that seems to occur at the same time as the barrel escape. This is clearly not the end of the movie, but probably a semi-climax halfway through, therefore, it can be a bit less serious, without taking away from the emotional punch the movie can have. They did not show any action from the last third of the film, which will either contain the attack on Laketown or the attack on Dol Guldor, or both. One is a very strong emotional climax, the other is a huge cliff-hanger.

2) it is clear that these early action scenes were shot as the climax of the first film, back in the day, looking at the colors, lighting. I think the film will turn much darker after the point were the second movie used to start.

3) They showed quite a bit of action and no characters or dialogue, except for Thranduil, but that's just the trailer. Even with me having some annoyances with AUJ, I was very content with the large amount of great dialogue we got, from bag end to the riddles in the dark. Just because it isn't in the trailer, doesn't mean it's not in the movie.

4) This trailer shows that they seem to be doing Thranduil just right.

5) Tauriel actually seems okay, she delivers her lines alright, and does not stick out as someone who does not seem to fit. I don't know if I'll like her, but for now, I do not dislike her either, and that's a relief.

So, they chose to add an action scene that I'll probably dislike a bit, and it was featured prominently in the trailer. doesn't mean the movie will be bad.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.