Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer right here: Post your reactions! (some Smaug spoilers in the trailer)
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 9:17pm

Post #176 of 295 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and the butterflies [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely loved that part! Best part of the whole trailer, I think Smile

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 9:18pm

Post #177 of 295 (1574 views)
Shortcut
You can clearly see [In reply to] Can't Post

his paws and claws as he tries to push the door open. There should be no question as to whether or not this is a bear.

http://imgur.com/a/LiO6q

Picture of real life bear paws for comparison

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/...884_499517c063_h.jpg

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

(This post was edited by bungobaggins on Jun 11 2013, 9:20pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 9:20pm

Post #178 of 295 (1554 views)
Shortcut
This looks pretty fierce to me [In reply to] Can't Post

http://imageshack.us/f/802/smaugdostrailer.jpg/

Also, we haven't seen the top of his head yet. He might still have horns, but we just can't see it yet.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 9:21pm

Post #179 of 295 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Still don't think it looks like a bear ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

ETA - well nevermind, just saw bungobaggins's post above and saw the claws. I guess it is a bear. Maybe they stumble upon Beorn's house, he thinks they're enemies, so he goes all bear on them? I hope not...

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Jun 11 2013, 9:23pm)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 9:21pm

Post #180 of 295 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Basically how I feel [In reply to] Can't Post

in a nutshell. I treat the books and movies as two separate entities, I'm sure there has never been a movie that is/was 100% faithful to its book(s). Good comparison with Harry Potter, because of course I feel the books are far superior, however I have no problem watching the movies knowing some things bother me and are different (i.e, death portrayals, some of the acting, etc.). I just love everything and anything Middle Earth, and am taking advantage of being able to see it on the big screen while I can! Smile

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 9:22pm

Post #181 of 295 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Dori [In reply to] Can't Post

which is odd as Balin calls him "my lad."

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

Spaldron
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 9:23pm

Post #182 of 295 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Stellar! [In reply to] Can't Post

This got me more excited that any of the AUJ trailers. Looks like things are finally kicking off. Can't wait to see it in IMAX in front of Man of Steel.

And Smaug looks terrifying. Laugh

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 9:27pm

Post #183 of 295 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Yes - I think you are right, still "in progress". [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that they can do amazing things because of what they did with Gollum.

I think that it was inconsistent - just like AUJ was - it can be sooo good - so I want to see it. In every scene - not just certain scenes.

I find that the trailer grows more entertaining with repeated viewings, got chills the second time watching it.

I liked Azog better in this one - he seemed to have more weight to him and be a little less shiny - could still do to be a little less shiny. What other Orc/Goblin is shiny? I'm gonna call rough spots on some of that Azog hide - like dry skin elbows at least ... some imperfections that aren't shiny imperfections or that shine with a different texture.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 9:28pm

Post #184 of 295 (1521 views)
Shortcut
It's growing on me, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

And frankly, I'm not sure why. It doesn't at all seem like the story I'm used to, but for some reason it's making me excited. I'm so confused Crazy

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 9:29pm

Post #185 of 295 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Meh, much like the trailer my thoughts are confused and don't really add up to anything.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood looks pretty cool...but not particularly murky, and Lee Pace will be awesome as Thranduil, though I have a few issues with the similarity to Lothlorien I think the Elven Kingdomw will be a visual standout in the film.

Even from the brief glimpses it seems all too obvious Tuariel and Legolas (both look a little out of place IMO) are a stitched on subplot (too many elves!) not too sold on the amazon warriors thing or the cliched love story/older brother/ whatever the hell that rubbish turns out to be (People said wait and see about Radagast and I hated more than I feared!!!) but hey at this point I'm almost past caring about such subplots.

If that is the musical score for the final film were in trouble

So that was Beorn smashing into the cabin? Looks promising if out of sync with the book

Smaug looked pretty intriguing (I don't think he's finished though) and I can see Cumberbatch voicing him totally but he's alot bigger than I imagined and not as old or manevolent as I'd wished, but I guess I'd always been underwhelmed.

Laketown is promising but too big IMO-I never wanted grand civiliaztions out 'east' I always pictured Laketown/Thranduil's kingdom as wild and small in comparison to LOTR.

Way too much CGI looked like a msihmash of Crystal Skull and Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest not like LOTR.

Barrels hmmm..over the top but could be fun, but I'm getting a definite sense of overblown excess from this...

Dammit it!! Still No Billy Connoly!

Loving the secret entrance in the statue.

All in all a messy but fun trailer for a probably messy but entertaining film, but I was left both cold all the same much like my feelings towards AUJ (which I still can't bring myself to rewatch), at least PJ's consistent with his dissapoinment.

At they very least this trailer has me pleased for other reasons-on that basis I'm now 100% convinced PJ will never get the oppurtunity to Butcher The Silmarillion.

But seriously Pete why are you still referring to it as the Hobbit, when the hobbit dosen't even speak in his own trailer!!!

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 9:29pm

Post #186 of 295 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah maybe.. in the beginning of AUJ there are shots when he swims in the gold, where it seems like he has lots of them.I hope so. But well, still I really thought he would look greater. But perhaps it's just the glowing sauronlike eye that annoys me. :D Really it looks like Saurons eyeball in LOTR.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 9:30pm

Post #187 of 295 (1513 views)
Shortcut
I've watched it multiple times [In reply to] Can't Post

And no, I've not heard anything that automatically tells me it's a bear. But since everyone else seems to think that's what it is, I'll just roll with it.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 9:34pm

Post #188 of 295 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Great [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved it, I don't know I'm going to wait 6 months. :)

Main disappointment, too many elves not enough Dwarves. I love those dwarves I'd have liked to see them get more attention in the trailer.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jun 11 2013, 9:35pm)

Marionette
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 9:34pm

Post #189 of 295 (1496 views)
Shortcut
PRETTY AMAZING [In reply to] Can't Post

Not dissapointed with anything so far!!

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 9:36pm

Post #190 of 295 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

I can guarantee you that 90 procent of Hollywood movies is NOT shot with real light or source light. Especially the interior scenes in LotR. If you light a scene with candes and fire, you have way too low light to film properly. Nearly all American films use stage/film lighting, positioned so that it seems that the fire is giving the light.

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 9:43pm

Post #191 of 295 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Awesome... [In reply to] Can't Post

...can't believe we got to see Smaug at all- now I'm really excited for it. But the real spoiler will be hearing him speak finally (aww yeah, Benedict Cumberbatch). Yep, I loved it, can't wait to see it.

/haters will hate

"And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people."~John Harrison..?

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 9:45pm

Post #192 of 295 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Anyone notice? [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone noticed Kili behind Thorin in one of the barrels? It looks like he has the time of his life while Bilbo is trying to hold onto Kili's barrel. It kinda looks like Bilbo's in water, not a barrel.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 9:51pm

Post #193 of 295 (1490 views)
Shortcut
wow that was bad [In reply to] Can't Post

realy bad. that was the worst cgi I have seen in ten years. Smaug was underwhelming, fake and cheap looking. Beorn? well Fluffy the threeheaded dog in Harry Potter looked better and that was a decade ago. Legolas looked fat, and why oh why was this trailer NOT about Bilbo, I thought the film was about him???

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 11 2013, 9:52pm

Post #194 of 295 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Why is that odd? I think it's perfectly normal in this context. [In reply to] Can't Post

With Balin being older than Dori.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 9:52pm

Post #195 of 295 (1407 views)
Shortcut
LOTR may have changed things, but those changes were made specifically with the spirit of the books at heart [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a purist by any means, but what Jackson is doing to The Hobbit is simply ridiculous. The spirit of the book is totally lost amidst all of the nonsense and action that clearly only serves to stretch this story into 3 unnecessary films. I don't think you have to be a purist to see how radically different these films are from the books.

He's turning an introspective little book into nothing but CGI sugar coated spectacle. Don't get me wrong, I like action as much as the next person. But when literally ANYTHING can happen in a film, I totally lose interest. I lose interest even more when the characters are ignored and replaced by heartless action scenes.

I'm baffled that Jackson has literally abandoned every concept that made his LOTR films successful as both pieces of Cinema and adaptations that adhere to the spirit of the books.

Goodbye Peter Jackson, Hello Peter Lucas .

On a side note, why can everyone in these movies bounce and jump around like spiderman? How are dwarves, who apparently have to be thrown 10 feet, running around like they're wearing moon boots and jet packs?

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Jun 11 2013, 9:58pm)

triptrap
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 9:53pm

Post #196 of 295 (1374 views)
Shortcut
oh, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

i never knew that until you pointed it out to me. but you may actually have a point there cause it does most certainly explain a lot of my troubles with the hobbit

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 9:53pm

Post #197 of 295 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't read through the comments yet but it looks like Thorin has Orcrist when they are overlooking the city of Dale. A small change from the book but not one that bothers me. And now that I think about it I think he has it in the barrel escape.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 11 2013, 9:56pm

Post #198 of 295 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, lots of Thranduil and Mirkwood! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised by how much Thranduil there is in this trailer. That's not a complaint; I'm happy to see and hear more of him, but it's unexpected. I think the bulk of this movie is going to take place in Mirkwood, what with traveling through it, fighting spiders, and both the imprisonment/escape of the dwarves and it looks to me like they will be setting up some important relational dynamics between the Elves which will likely come into play with either (or both of) the Dol Guldur and Bof5A storylines in the third movie.

Also, I notice there's a distince difference in the lighting and tone of the different Mirkwood scenes. Those having to do with the spiders are dark and lit with a blue light. Those in the scenes around the Elvenking's palace are much brighter and golden-lit, giving us a glimpse of Greenwood the Great as it was before the Shadow invaded it. Very nice. And despite the fact that I didn't like the narrow walkways in huge caverns all that much in either Goblin Town (where I felt there should have been more tunnels and less huge empty spaces) or even Erebor (why on earth would you carve narrow walkways over huge chasms with no balustrades at all? It was grand, but didn't feel quite right. I would have liked something a little more like the Great Hall of Moria in feel - you could have put a whole city in a place like that), I liked it this time around for the Elven kingdom. I guess because I feel that Elves are the most surefooted and I don't keep thinking about how easy it would be for people to be always falling off things. Tongue Anyway, I like the Greenwood/Mirkwood contrast.

Also, listening to Thranduil's analysis of Thorin's plan I got thinking - it seems unlikely that Thorin would tell him much, so there are three possibilities.
1. Thranduil finds Thorin's map and figures it out like Elrond did
2. Thranduil's pretty good at putting two and two together and guessing
3. Thranduil has heard something, either from Elrond or even from Saruman and he's not surprised by Dwarven gatecrashers, he was actually on the lookout to capture and hold them so they couldn't go through with their plan.

That last one brings up some interesting plot possibilities....what if Thranduil starts out more or less on Saruman's side? Could explain some of the supposed tension with Tauriel, couldn't it? Hmm.....

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 9:56pm

Post #199 of 295 (1366 views)
Shortcut
I think that's definitely a bear, tarasaurus [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like a Brown Bear, although we only get a glimpse of him.

By the way, I'm not too sure why a few people are complaining about the use of too much CGI. There doesn't seem much in the trailer that could be done without it. I mean, I wouldn't really want to see a man dressed in a bear suit as Beorn in bear form, for example.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 9:57pm

Post #200 of 295 (1403 views)
Shortcut
I agree with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug didn't seem to have the feeling of weight like the Jurassic Park Dinos had. I'm hoping it's just because of the low-res video quality. CGI tends to REALLY stick out once it's been downsized and compressed. (Fingers crossed) I'll still excited though.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.