Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer right here: Post your reactions! (some Smaug spoilers in the trailer)
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 8:27pm

Post #151 of 295 (1649 views)
Shortcut
I have, they're quite clever! [In reply to] Can't Post

And agreed, unfortunately PJ doesn't seem to be the champion of many varied special effects and filmmaking techniques that he once was.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 8:27pm

Post #152 of 295 (1659 views)
Shortcut
LOVE the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

way better than AUJ theatrical trailer that came in september, loved Thranduils narration, Laketown looks amazing, The barrels look a bit OTT but hey, Thats definitely a bear, some dodgy CGI but they obviously havent finished all the shots. overall I loved the more serious tone of the trailer. one of my fav shots is the dwarves at the begnning walking up the side of erebor, and the elven halls wow! Smaug looks great but I think he does look a bit odd when in the shadow as it looks kind of like a sillouette, when his head tuens and the light shines on the side of it looks more of what He will actually looks like and looks awesome in my opinion. Overall very happy with the trailer. : )

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:29pm

Post #153 of 295 (1659 views)
Shortcut
One thing that really bothered me was [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrain leaping 30 or so feet onto Gandalf. Sure he's gone insane, but he's not Spider-man. Unsure

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:31pm

Post #154 of 295 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Similar feelings sinking in here. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 8:32pm

Post #155 of 295 (1621 views)
Shortcut
Try this one [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
amazing quality here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=155837147936654

I want apple to put it up so I can download and watch it on my 40" TV!

Try this so far. This is the bestest quality I've found yet (164 MB):
http://www.kinopoisk.ru/...Smaug-The-159373.mov

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Jun 11 2013, 8:37pm)

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 8:32pm

Post #156 of 295 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Yip, fears realised... [In reply to] Can't Post

CGI central in that trailer - to the nth degree. And, going on the evidence of AUJ, one suspects this is pretty representative of the final film.

Like you say, the 'realness' that defined the LOTR trilogy has been discarded for gaudy, cartoonish fare. It's still all so bright. :(

In Reply To
CGI Elves! CGI Orcs! CGI Dwarves in barrels! CGI Thrain & Tauriel leaping at the camera! Hooray!

This is like the anti-LotR. While PJ's previous trilogy created a living, human Middle-earth, this is like cut scenes from "A Bug's Life".

Worse, it looks like "Avatar": it has such an artificial, digital sheen to it, even when there's a real person in the frame it looks like a cartoon.

Oh, yeah: and Bilbo again gets stiffed with not a single line in his OWN trailer; Thorin doesn't speak either. Is this "Woodland Realm: The Movie"?

Why was I expecting PJ to do something better than AUJ with this? And why has everything (including things we KNOW were shot in production, such as the barrels, elves, orcs, ETC) been replaced with CGI?

Ah, well...the wait for the trailer was slightly exciting for a while there, I suppose.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 8:33pm

Post #157 of 295 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

i still get some chills listening to her voice and those beautifull shots, and the music..

Music is such an important part of a film and a trailer..

If they hadnt focused on the invented stuff, ie, Legolas, Tauriel, Azog and Radagast, the constant action shots..

And more on Bilbo, Thorin and the dwarves...

If they had music, Lotr or Hobbit music, i dont care anything but this generic, dull track...

The outcome would have been much different...

The first trailer was nicely composed, it slowly built towards something, the music was excellent, etc...

It brought me into Middle Earth...this just puts me off and make sme want to go and read a comic or
something Crazy

I saw this comment on another forum, i think it explains very well one of the negative aspects of this trailer :

"Well, they've really just gone full video-game on this series, this seems to be the confirmation of that. It's not just that they use CG, or even a lot of CG, but every frame seems SO stuffed to overfull with CG everything, outlandish video-game superhuman fighting moves, constantly twisting & turning "camera" angles, one-liner after one-liner... and barely a real set or outdoor environment in view, unless it's been post-processed way beyond anything resembling reality.

I suppose it's personal taste. What I loved about the look and feel of the LOTR films was the way it blended being in real physical environments with the fantasy. Everything in this trailer looks like it takes place inside a computer, whether it does or not. It's gone too far in that direction for me, and it really gets in the way of me being moved by it."

Vous commencez ā m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 11 2013, 8:38pm)

Thoromir
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 8:50pm

Post #158 of 295 (1532 views)
Shortcut
The dwarven statue in the trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is not one of the two statues at the entrance of Erebor!
It looks completely different. For example the position of the axe.
So if this is the location of the hidden door, It might still be a dwarven statue at the right Side of the mountain. The Side where we would expect the door to be.

triptrap
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:51pm

Post #159 of 295 (1508 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

and not only that. It's just that all of the lighting and color grading is so off it's horrible. And that was even the case in the bag end scenes in AUJ. They were by far the best parts of that movie, but the lighting still felt off to me, cause they used some kind of lamps or whatever instead of using real candles or chimney-fire. it lacks that certain aspect of dimlightly magic that is created by real light-sources and it really seems as if this is going to be the case in the second movie as well, everything is just too shiny and polished ...

oh, and did i mention that i still can't get my head around their new orc-designs? they look sooooooo uninspired
while LOTR had orcs like in the book, folks that loved all kinds of metal and meanness, these ones look like a horde of barbarians from WOW

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Post #160 of 295 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Trailers are of a muchness [In reply to] Can't Post

These days it is hard to tell what a movie is about by viewing the trailer or preview (I'm looking at you Oblivion.) Remember folks that there were scenes in the trailer for AUJ that did not appear in the film. This happens a lot these days. So I expect that some of what we have seen here will not make it into the final cut.

I loved this trailer but it seemed to me to be a a series of nearly completed scenes, you know, the ones they happen to have laying around. My guess is that they had a lot of the elf scenes done or nearly so and used those because this is a teaser and not meant to tell the story.

It is also clear-ish that the trailer is more for the fans than for the general public. Lots of characters who did not appear in AUJ are here. Readers of the book know who they are but the average movie-goer would not.

The real surprise was the absence of Fili and Kili.

Yes that is Beorn in bear-shape.

Smaug looks scary. He is in shadow so it is difficult to tell what he will be. But his eye is good and shows both intelligence and cunning.

We now know that this movie will end after the dwarves find the hidden door.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Post #161 of 295 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Looks positively godawful [In reply to] Can't Post

Feels like they kept all the most terrible aspects of An Unexpected Journey and made them five times worse. If there is a single shot in that trailer that looks believable I can't find it.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:53pm

Post #162 of 295 (1502 views)
Shortcut
well... of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more bright, saturated, otherworldly reality. Thatīs how it's suppose to be; like a very FANTASTICAL movie.

Now, of course you are not fan of the movies as you are of the books. Which is great, but if you were you would be able to tell some things:

1.- Trailers like this one, which are to be shown in front of mainstream summer movies, are EDITED for mainstream public, to look as mainstream as possible, not for fans of the book.
2.- CGI is not done yet. It is unfinished. A lot of it. It's obvious the studio wanted it ready for Man of Steel.

3.- The music is done by a company which makes music for trailers, in this case a very mainstream trailer.

4.- Showing us all the not-from-the-book stuff make us less distracted by it for the next trailers. It was the same reason they showed us all the dwarfs first a year ago.

5.- Yes, more trailers will come.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

hobbitylass
Bree

Jun 11 2013, 8:54pm

Post #163 of 295 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil himself...whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

He commands attention, to me he was the most compelling person in the whole trailer. Between this and the scenes in the sneak peek footage, he's looking to be a standout performance for me.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 8:55pm

Post #164 of 295 (1504 views)
Shortcut
I've been able to watch it only once so far. [In reply to] Can't Post

And that was on my phone, so it's hard to judge when it's only 1 inch tall.

But I didn't see anything that made me go --> Unsure

Up to this point, I've hated nearly everything we've heard about Tauriel. But if they leave all the romance garbage out, and if she has to fight and kill only because they've been ambushed (as it sort of appears may happen), then if her purpose is to convince Thranduil and Legolas to stop being such jerks to the dwarves, then maybe she'll be more palatable.

I couldn't see enough of Smaug to say anything intelligent about him. It was a very dark scene. And my phone screen is very small.

The barrel scenes look cool. I'm not sure why Thranduil is discussing Thorin's plans and purpose. He's not supposed to know any of that stuff. But we'll see how it works out.

Everything else went by too quickly for me to really grasp and be able to comment. I'll have to watch it again at home when I'm on a bigger monitor screen. (I can't watch it here, because this is a newish job and my cube is too visible to be screwing around with videos. Angelic This forum at least sorta looks like work...from a distance...)

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:57pm

Post #165 of 295 (1472 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

as PJ recently put it...

"if you try to create an entirely different dragon, you reach science fiction territory, and not fantasy territory"

You better concentrate on the actor behind Smaug, that's where his uniqueness will be.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Post #166 of 295 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Thanks The Hutt! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

Eruonen
Half-elven

Post #167 of 295 (1471 views)
Shortcut
It looks like Thrain 100% to me....not sure what is in his hand. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is keylike but it would be an odd thing to be holding in a crazed attack.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 8:59pm

Post #168 of 295 (1466 views)
Shortcut
This... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I suppose it's personal taste. What I loved about the look and feel of the LOTR films was the way it blended being in real physical environments with the fantasy. Everything in this trailer looks like it takes place inside a computer, whether it does or not. It's gone too far in that direction for me, and it really gets in the way of me being moved by it."

I have to say that my first reaction to the trailer was exactly that - and numbness. I was not moved, and I felt my heart sink with that very first shot of the incredibly fake, CGI lake....

The costume designs, environment and architecture Weta have come up with for M-e are truly beautiful, but Iit's getting to a stage where I'd rather see them as still paintings in a book than pixelated on screen like this.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ŋ Victoria Monfort

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 9:04pm

Post #169 of 295 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that all of the lighting and color grading is so off it's horrible.

This could be attributed to the awful trend of "teal & tangerine" color grading, where everything is tinted either blue or orange. It's a bummer that Jackson has yielded to it, and it's pretty much the only thing I really dislike about these films so far.

I find it very unappealing, and there's hardly a movie these days that doesn't do it. http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.se/...ood-please-stop.html

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 9:04pm

Post #170 of 295 (1468 views)
Shortcut
for anyone interested... [In reply to] Can't Post

I enhanced a couple screenshots on who we think may or may not be Beorn in bear form (hope they are not too big!)

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 9:09pm

Post #171 of 295 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Interesting link [In reply to] Can't Post

On a side note, I thought Mirkwood was painted red and blue because the 3D cameras dampened the colour so much, but it still looks a pretty loud red and blue to me here. Unsure

In Reply To

It's just that all of the lighting and color grading is so off it's horrible.

This could be attributed to the awful trend of "teal & tangerine" color grading, where everything is tinted either blue or orange. It's a bummer that Jackson has yielded to it, and it's pretty much the only thing I really dislike about these films so far.

I find it very unappealing, and there's hardly a movie these days that doesn't do it. http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.se/...ood-please-stop.html

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 9:10pm

Post #172 of 295 (1407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, sure looks like a bear to me.

If it's a warg, it's an entirely new breed we haven't seen before, and if it's a dog then Beorn's dogs are apparently almost as huge as he is.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 9:13pm

Post #173 of 295 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Carcharoth [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only recall Carcharoth, huge as that...or even more.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 11 2013, 9:13pm

Post #174 of 295 (1411 views)
Shortcut
You are correct, the purists won't be pleased, but then again [In reply to] Can't Post

we knew this movie adaptation was not a purist film, just like LOTR was not a purist film. I did not want a purist film as I think it would be rather weak as a movie. Because the film was intended to link with the LOTR some themes and characters present themselves. Yes,many of the key scenes have been changed, but they may work in the film when seen against the plot as developed. We will have to wait to see. At this point, we all know this is The Hobbit - a film adaptation by Peter Jackson. I have not read any of the Harry Potter books, but I enjoyed all of the films. I am sure purists hated some things. But, as films, I enjoyed them. The movie audience is not made up of pure book readers. There is pressure to film action scenes that highlight 3D - and this does go over the top in some instances...the Goblin town roller coaster for example. I approach these films as their own thing...inspired by the book...but a different vision.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jun 11 2013, 9:15pm)

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 9:16pm

Post #175 of 295 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

They could at least have his head be more... I dont know.. more fierce? More horns or something ...he looks so bland now.. in no way dangerous.
I know it could just be the angle bla bla.. but really they use this to sell the movie.. so why show something that unfinished? I don't get it... oh dear..

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.