Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer right here: Post your reactions! (some Smaug spoilers in the trailer)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 7:53pm

Post #126 of 295 (1763 views)
Shortcut
People getting carried away? [In reply to] Can't Post

Either with excitement or disappointment. It's 90 seconds of an at least 150-minutes film. Most of the shots aren't finished. A number of sequences might not even appear in the film. So I think we should wait until we see the film or at least learn more about it until we get too carried away with our judgments.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jun 11 2013, 7:55pm)

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 7:54pm

Post #127 of 295 (1729 views)
Shortcut
..... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
CGI Elves! CGI Orcs! CGI Dwarves in barrels! CGI Thrain & Tauriel leaping at the camera! Hooray!

This is like the anti-LotR. While PJ's previous trilogy created a living, human Middle-earth, this is like cut scenes from "A Bug's Life".

Worse, it looks like "Avatar": it has such an artificial, digital sheen to it, even when there's a real person in the frame it looks like a cartoon.

Oh, yeah: and Bilbo again gets stiffed with not a single line in his OWN trailer; Thorin doesn't speak either. Is this "Woodland Realm: The Movie"?

Why was I expecting PJ to do something better than AUJ with this? And why has everything (including things we KNOW were shot in production, such as the barrels, elves, orcs, ETC) been replaced with CGI?

Ah, well...the wait for the trailer was slightly exciting for a while there, I suppose.

LOL

You have high expectations for a teaser trailer for a movie that still has about half a year to go before it reaches theaters.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 7:56pm

Post #128 of 295 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Or "representation", the non-garbled spelling! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 8:01pm

Post #129 of 295 (1706 views)
Shortcut
I had low expectations... [In reply to] Can't Post

and the teaser fell below them, actually. If the shots in question weren't done, then they should have included some actual live-action footage instead.

I wanted to like this over AUJ...but the teaser has not substantiated that.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jun 11 2013, 8:06pm)

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 8:02pm

Post #130 of 295 (1668 views)
Shortcut
That scroll is incredibly unreliable [In reply to] Can't Post

The imagery in the scroll is not 100% accurate with what ends up in the finished film (at least in AUJ). Just and example, the Wargs looked very different in that scroll than they did on screen.

I'm betting the image of the orating bear is one that the WB marketing team had in stock. They probably tweaked it (added the "wiskers") and PS it into the image along with Gandalf. It was probably never the image PJ was going to end up sticking with for Beorn's animal form.

adnan
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 8:04pm

Post #131 of 295 (1657 views)
Shortcut
You're overesitmating the... [In reply to] Can't Post

general audience...they don't care much for story (please see the success of Avatar for heaven's sake), they want spectacle & epicness for these kinds of films, and the trailer delivers that spectacularly.

Rivendell

tarasaurus
Rohan

Post #132 of 295 (1650 views)
Shortcut
I love it!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to have to wait 6 months and 2 days to see it!! Haha. I have to say that my only worry was Tauriel's rumored love scenes, but in this trailer I feel more comfortable with her in the movie. She doesn't seem like a major distraction, just like another Mirkwood elf with more focus. I didn't mind the CGI much, but I'm sure they will still be working on that with months to go before the movie is out. Absolutely love that it was snowing because a few of us were hoping the Battle of 5 Armies (or Smaug's fight?) will be during a snow storm! If this was a teaser, then the full length trailer must give us more of a treat. Also, pretty sure that was Beorn in bear form trying to burst through that door, I completely missed him the first time around as being Beorn. Didn't expect Smaug but I think it was an awesome tease since it wasn't a full reveal. I have so many thoughts but I'm so excited i can't remember them all!

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Post #133 of 295 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Of red-haired Elves, successful Orcs, worried Men and a little Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

...and of course of homeless Dwarves.

Let's observe this great piece of Middle-earth history and focus on NEW things:

- Finally some snow! It looks so magnificent (Dale, Lake Town, Erebor)
- Obviously Bilbo uses the Ring less than in the book... which is great because there would have been only two ways. Showing "nothing" but a empty place with perhaps footprints or showing everything with this twilight-Ring-World light and that would have been a bit annoying at some point.
- It's undoubtably... it's a trap!
- Three similar jump-attack-shots. Thrain jumping on Gandalf, Tauriel jumping on.. Orcs? and an Orc jumping on Thorin
- Lower Elves from the Woodland Realm seem to have light brown/red hair. I think it is good to differentiate them from the Rivendell Elves (dark brown/almost black) and the Lothlorien Elves (blond/almost golden) while we have the Higher Elves from the Woodland Realm like Thranduil and Legolas with blond/almost silver hair (didn't Celeborn also have silver hair?)
- Although I wasn't a huge Azog fan after the first movie... I kinda was happy to see him in the trailer... he's now part of the whole family so it's good to see him again
- It seems to me that Azog and his Orcs are successfully attacking the Elves perhaps it's where the Elves change their mind that it is also their war? Perhaps even revealing the greater evil (Sauron) behind everything?
- It's a trap!
- Gandalf and Radagast being attacked by something in Dol Guldur (Nazgūl, Sauron or just bats?)
- Smaug looks amazing and damn is he big! And that's only the head! Yes, he looks a little different to the AUJ but the FOTR Gollum looked different to the TTT Gollum, so where's the problem?
- Great dialogue of Thranduil and Bard. Both seem to be very worried about challanging Smaug (quite right if you remember the book)

And who was missing? Good or bad?

- The Master (and Alfrid): He is not that important so it's not a problem
- The Necromancer: I think he we saw a shot out of his perspective flying towards Gandalf and Radagast (perhaps it was only an army of bats). But it's great not to reveal to much
- Beorn: Except of this glimpse at the door (it could be a giant hound but also a bear) nothing. It pleases me because I want to see him for the first time on the big screen
- Bolg: Do we have to fear that he was degraded to a lesser Orc and totally replaced by Azog? Hopefully he'll appear in the next trailer
- Bilbo: Yes, he was in the trailer... but although he's the official lead character and titular figure there wasn't much of him. He did not even speak. But this shows us that The Hobbit Trilogy isn't only about the Hobbit. It's mainly about the Quest for Erebor

There is soooo much more... but I'm tired of tipping on my keyboard^^

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:05pm

Post #134 of 295 (1686 views)
Shortcut
This is the problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson has adopted George Lucas' mantra from the prequel trilogy: "I can have anything I want in the movie because of the technology." Which is funny when you consider Lucas' stance on special effects when he was working on the original trilogy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmZp5cgbkU

This has been adopted by James Cameron as well.

I can't find the interview where Jackson basically tips his hand about special effects and admits he has adopted this similar philosophy.

These directors have not, and will not learn their lesson about special effects.

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 8:10pm

Post #135 of 295 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Who was asking about the earthquake? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could not recognize the voice of the dwarf asking "Was this an earthquake?"

Anyone can help?

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:11pm

Post #136 of 295 (1676 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kinda hoping we get an alternative ending to this Trailer that Show the REAL Thing. :D Well.. one can have dreams.
But really he's underwhelming. They clearly missed the chance of making him look cpecial. He looks like every other dragon.

I do not find the rest of the trailer too bad. Clearly lots of Action.. but thats not a bad thing if it's executed well. And I guess we get to see more of Bilbo etc. in other Trailers.
All of the Locations look amazing.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 8:14pm

Post #137 of 295 (1605 views)
Shortcut
think of the environment [In reply to] Can't Post

At the expense of this film I think in some ways they made the right decision to not trample and destroy precious pieces of New Zealand in order to make The Hobbit. Yes the Hobbit is filled with more studio shoots and CGI imagery, but I'd rather keep New Zealand unspoiled than make a blockbuster fantasy movie feel more "realistic."

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

hobbitylass
Bree

Jun 11 2013, 8:15pm

Post #138 of 295 (1641 views)
Shortcut
Saving Smaug for last [In reply to] Can't Post

was a great idea, I think. They revealed just enough to show how enormous and menacing the dragon is, without giving the whole thing away. Now they don't have to show anything else of Smaug till the finished version in the movie.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 8:15pm

Post #139 of 295 (1602 views)
Shortcut
This certainly seems to be the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading an anecdote (can't remember where) about George Lucas visiting PJ during the production of King Kong; PJ showed Lucas a WETA model/bigature of a massive tree which our cast had to cross in the film. Reportedly Lucas said something like "you know, you can do all that in the computer" (implying that models were antiquated), with PJ replying "why would you want to"?

Boy, the times have certainly changed.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:17pm

Post #140 of 295 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Found the interview [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/...J_ZEsDyo&t=6m16s

"Anything you can imagine you can put on film."

Interesting to note that he says that some of the visual effects shots for the second film have already been handed over (this is in July of last year, so nearly a year ago). To think the effects would be up to snuff by now?

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Skaan
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:17pm

Post #141 of 295 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still too soon to claim he looks like every other dragon, simply because we've only seen his head (and even that doesn't really look like your average dragon)

We still have to see his full body (including the gold on his chest) and there are probably some horns on his head aswell that we can't see in the trailer.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 8:20pm

Post #142 of 295 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jacksons HD facebook link [In reply to] Can't Post

amazing quality here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=155837147936654

I want apple to put it up so I can download and watch it on my 40" TV!

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

Pazeer
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 8:21pm

Post #143 of 295 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

But perhaps Dori?

Ref
Rivendell

Post #144 of 295 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Re: TheHutt [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Could not recognize the voice of the dwarf asking "Was this an earthquake?"

Anyone can help?

By the sounds of it, it was Dori. As the accent (to me) was a Northern English one, but not of the low pitched tones of the Durin Clan. Also if you freeze frame it, you can see that it is Dori, who is left to the screen. And when Balin turns and answers, it is directed his way.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Post #145 of 295 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, personally I LOVED the first AUJ teaser! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was magical, and yes elegant, and felt like being back in Middle-earth. And hearing the Misty Mountains theme for the first time...brilliant; while also agreed, the generic trailer music certainly doesn't help any.

BTW, here's the TTT teaser for comparison (also thought this worked quite well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG-1Gtus7KQ

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 11 2013, 8:22pm

Post #146 of 295 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like it was Dori [In reply to] Can't Post

And he's the one looking around the most in the background.

Smile

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:24pm

Post #147 of 295 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if you've seen this [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/...hw&v=g81PoGKO0qA

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPzDjaA03ts

However I feel that the portrayal of Jackson in the second video is no longer accurate.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Post #148 of 295 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Hardly surprising... [In reply to] Can't Post

And its not the times, its these people...there are others who have not gone the fake CGI, all digital, green screen all the way, route.

But we have :

Beorn attacking the company at his house. What happening here?

Bombur being thrown in the air inside a barrel and crashin on some orcs. Lovely...

Legolas and Tauriel surfing through the forest...Had to happen.

Rambo's dialogue : " This is not our fight! " - Its not my business. Yes it is.

The barrel ride turned into what appears to be another ridiculously improbable, the hell with plausibility moment, for the sake of spectacle.

Did Bilbo have any lines? I dont remember...

The woodland realm seems interesting, thats some interetsing designs, though it did remind me of Lorien...

It looks so digital, so crisp, so saturated, so over the top...oh well, that has been established with AUJ.

I thin that was Thorin opening the door at Erebor.

Vous commencez ą m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Maylily
The Shire

Post #149 of 295 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil was the best part for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lee Pace is gonna be so badass as Thranduil. The way he said those lines was awesome. I think Thranduil and Legolas win the title for best looking family in Middle Earth for sure. I'm sure Luke Evans is going to be great as Bard, but he looked and sounded too much like Will Turner, and it seems some people are already thinking Orlando will be playing double roles from the trailer. Evangeline looked and sounded lovely as Tauriel- she'll do just fine. I really thought they would use Benedict's voice, but having Thranduil narrating was a great move.

triptrap
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 8:25pm

Post #150 of 295 (1644 views)
Shortcut
i can feel the disappointment [In reply to] Can't Post

at first i absoluetly loved the trailer. but oh i should have never hoped. after AUJ was a rather big disappointment to me, the second movie seems to be going the exact road with all that cgi and no story/character leftFrown

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.