Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer right here: Post your reactions! (some Smaug spoilers in the trailer)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Jim
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:10pm

Post #76 of 295 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Aye... [In reply to] Can't Post

saw that, I think that whole scene is in conjunction with Azog/Orcs attacking the Elves.

I think we are going to see Azog still pursuing the Dwarves in this movie. While the Elves are trying to stop the Dwarves from escaping in the barrels it looks like it is at this point where Azog gets involved.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 6:11pm

Post #77 of 295 (1881 views)
Shortcut
The elves finally look like elves, [In reply to] Can't Post

when Tauriel and her guards are scampering along the trees, actually chasing after the barrels! Finally the background elves look like beings out of fantasy, not male models with long blonde wigs. Amazing!

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 6:12pm

Post #78 of 295 (1805 views)
Shortcut
Another notable absence... [In reply to] Can't Post

No sign of BOLG!!!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

triptrap
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 6:12pm

Post #79 of 295 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Hallelujah!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's awesome!
Though i'm a little angry they spoiled smaug in a trailer (if that's the real smaug) Mad

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jun 11 2013, 6:19pm)

Thoromir
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:13pm

Post #80 of 295 (1783 views)
Shortcut
Nice observation! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just about to post it, but you beat me to it ;)

Overall; very nice. I watched the trailer from beginning to end with a big smile on my face.
And Laketown..omg..that is one big city! Much bigger than it thought it would be. I like it. And to think it is build on wooden poles haha.
Uhm,,I also thought the forrest bits were a bit to bright, but it still looks pretty epic.

(This post was edited by Thoromir on Jun 11 2013, 6:18pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 6:13pm

Post #81 of 295 (1771 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Compare his face to this one:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7bpynpp4I1qzll2xo1_1280.jpg

I'm convinced this is our first look at one of Beorn's talented, and apparently huge, dogs.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 6:15pm

Post #82 of 295 (1785 views)
Shortcut
That was great [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the opening of the trailer with Thranduil narrating it. I thought Mirkwood looked fantastic and Thranduil's halls looked superb so I'm eager to see more of this area come to life on the big screen. Tauriel I thought came across really really well done and I liked how she was urging Legolas to get involved in Middle-earth's business. I think this plays well into one of the reasons why Legolas would sign up to help The Fellowship. The barrel riding sequence was odd I admit with the elves shooting but I am going to guess maybe Orcs are part of the play there. I do wonder if Azog and Tauriel are going to have a moment in this sequence as I think that was all in the same edit points. I loved the way Smaug looked at the end. He looked really really well done and I know he's going to look even better in December. I'm so excited right now. Cool

Jim
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:16pm

Post #83 of 295 (1813 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure.... [In reply to] Can't Post

those people who were freaking out about the photo with Tauriel are just a little calmer today ; ) I think she looks great, doesn't look out of place at all.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Post #84 of 295 (1752 views)
Shortcut
I was nervous about Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

after seeing the stuff from the live stream event, but the wide-shots in the trailer look fantastic.

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Post #85 of 295 (1740 views)
Shortcut
..... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Look at the face. Looks far more like a dog.

I rewatched the video several times. I was trying to see if it was a warg or a bear. It seems to big to be a warg to me (though the small dwarves could be throwing me off.)

But what really does it for me is the setting. It is daylight in a cabin and Gandalf is there. So based on what we know from the story, Gandalf is only going to be indoors with the party at Beorn's house. After that, they part ways at Mirkwood. Since it is daylight, we can assume it is the day they arrive at Beorn's.

It is either Beorn in bear form snarling after some intruders on his property? Or a warg who has chased the eagles, caught up with the party, and gotten onto Beorn's property unscathed. My money is on Beorn himself in bear form.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:17pm

Post #86 of 295 (1737 views)
Shortcut
...... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This was an awesome trailer! I had high expectations, and this surpassed it.

Here are some of my observations:

- Where is that shot of the city in the mountain suppose to be? (0:14)

Ruined city of Dale, close to the Lonely Mountain

daemoon
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:19pm

Post #87 of 295 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty disappointing. Too much unfinished CGI and pointless action for my tastes.

Jim
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:19pm

Post #88 of 295 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Could be, why is the company already inside Beorn's house?? Have they already been invited by Beorn if not and they've made their way inside without permission that could explain why the dog attacks them.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 11 2013, 6:21pm

Post #89 of 295 (1706 views)
Shortcut
No doubt it's a bear. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just look at the paws Wink

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 6:21pm

Post #90 of 295 (1705 views)
Shortcut
I'm not convinced either way now [In reply to] Can't Post

My initial impression was that it was a warg, but since everyone else seems to think it's Beorn, I'm uncertain.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:22pm

Post #91 of 295 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Smaug ugly [In reply to] Can't Post

Schmogg looked like a sock-puppet, that was my first thought. Jackson does his best to ruin the book because he wears bunny pajamas to bed.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jun 11 2013, 6:29pm)

elostirion74
Rohan

Jun 11 2013, 6:23pm

Post #92 of 295 (1748 views)
Shortcut
comment [In reply to] Can't Post

If I should judge the trailer by the sequence with the barrels, I think I would very disappointed indeed. Fortunately I believe other parts of the film are much better. The escape by barrels seems by far the weakest and OTT section of the entire trailer. I had heard rumours of the rather pointless added action elements to this part of the story, but even so I could help feeling disappointed seeing that they were actually included. Perhaps we must expect that each film will have at least one such section: AUJ has the escape from Goblin Town, DoS has the barrel escape/chase sequence.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:25pm

Post #93 of 295 (1673 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Could be, why is the company already inside Beorn's house??

Peter Jackson story change. I didn't think he would follow the books and have Gandalf telling a story while Dwarves start showing up in pairs.

I think Gandalf probably leads them into his home looking to ask Beorn for aid, and Beorn or one of his animals immediately takes them for a threat. Remember he does live on the edge of an evil forest. He would probably be on edge when it came to strangers.

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 11 2013, 6:25pm

Post #94 of 295 (1666 views)
Shortcut
Whatever it is, it has interesting eyes. [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds weird in a subject line, but the bear/warg has some interesting eye movement going on in the brief moment. It looks very human-like, and not animal-like. As if there's a person behind those eyes.

Just an observation.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 11 2013, 6:26pm

Post #95 of 295 (1681 views)
Shortcut
I slowed it down [In reply to] Can't Post

They were elves chasing, but WTH is legoals and tauriel talking about then ... letting them go?

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

dave_lf
Gondor

Post #96 of 295 (1654 views)
Shortcut
Somebody's been sitting in my chair! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CathrineB
Rohan

Post #97 of 295 (1667 views)
Shortcut
Even without pausing [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is no doubt that being a bear. Not one bit.

But that's me Sly

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:27pm

Post #98 of 295 (1655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Schmogg looked like a sock-puppet, that was my first thought. Jackson does his best to ruin the book because he wears bunny pajamas to bed.

That can't be called for. <quote edited - entmaiden>

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jun 11 2013, 6:32pm)

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Jun 11 2013, 6:29pm

Post #99 of 295 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Opinions, opinions... [In reply to] Can't Post

My initial impression was one of slight disappointment at all the elf action but I have to say that after repeat viewings, it's growing on me! Thought Thranduil was amazing - stand out of the trailer for me, especially that voice-over. I was also pleasantly surprised with Tauriel - seems like an interesting addition. The shots of Laketown, Dale and Erebo also looked incredible.

One of my concerns however is that the trailer placed far too much emphasis on the elves. If you think about how much elf fights we saw - Spiders, Azog over the wall and Tauriel and Legolas fighting compared to Bilbo having not much screen time at all. This may not necessarily be a bad thing but i just hope that the elf subplot doesn't interfere with the main quest in the way that the 'Radagast subplot' did in the first one.

Lastly, as i think another member has posted, there seems to be ALOT of CGI. I just hope that Smaug and the elves chasing the barrells shot, are refined further in the coming months. EDIT - After another rewatch, i have to say that Beorn's CGI looks really good!

All in all, looks like a great teaser to hopefully another great film! (Just don't be too trigger happy, PJ, on the CGI button?) :P

(This post was edited by BornOutOfTheWest on Jun 11 2013, 6:34pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 11 2013, 6:31pm

Post #100 of 295 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Seems to Bomby..some people jus' want.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Punch a Hole in Anything?
PJ tries to Do?

Personally it gets
Tiresome...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.