Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer right here: Post your reactions! (some Smaug spoilers in the trailer)
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 9:11am

Post #276 of 295 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Er... what pale, translucent white polygon? [In reply to] Can't Post

There isn't one, so far as I can see. Just his face, hairline, hair, costume.... I can't see why they would use CGI in that scene anyway - looks pretty straightforward to me.

Bandit
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 9:49am

Post #277 of 295 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Look a little closer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm I guess you're right but I've tried to outline the polygon I can see in this image:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/156/capturebtx.png

It's very faint, try looking a little inside the yellow lines I've drawn. It looks like they were trying to brighten his face maybe? But forgot to blend it in? It doesn't appear in the trailer, only in this promo shot, I think.

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 9:55am

Post #278 of 295 (1344 views)
Shortcut
I see it [In reply to] Can't Post

But it appears to be only in the screencaps you looked at. I can't see it in the trailer. maybe it was added by the screencap editor to add clarity to Bard's face?

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 10:38am

Post #279 of 295 (1329 views)
Shortcut
talking about Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he must be married to Tauriel at this point, as most guys put on a little weight when they get hitched, its all those home made Elven pizzas, . Mad

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 10:42am

Post #280 of 295 (1317 views)
Shortcut
I understand what you mean by [In reply to] Can't Post

the small screen, but I saw the Dragon in the BBC tv series Merlin and he was quite impressive, its not the size of the screen its the first impression you get that counts, those T-Rexs in Jurassic Park were WAY scarier and WAY more real looking imo. and that was years ago.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 12 2013, 10:47am

Post #281 of 295 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Sorry - can't see anything odd there except your yellow lines // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 10:49am

Post #282 of 295 (1326 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* I'm 61 [In reply to] Can't Post

And while I'm more hobbit than elven in my tastes... those elves are dear to me. Having an old friend from the Fellowship as a part of this story is just so cool!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 10:52am

Post #283 of 295 (1312 views)
Shortcut
I am not an expert [In reply to] Can't Post

but to me the cgi stood out like a sore thumb, and if a 'civilian' can spot it, it must be blazingly obvious to a film pro. I honestly thought it was more noticeable than 10 years ago, the Elves in the trees moved weirdly, cgi should be invisible to the casual glance surely? I know I keep banging on about Jurassic Park but even now I cant quite believe those dinos arent real. i thought from all the hype and hoo-haa that this film was going to make Avatar old fashioned, but Avatar is still much more astounding technicaaly and visually, it hasnt been beaten yet. I thought that this was going to be the new benchmark for film making from all the trumpeting they did. It isnt, its failed as cutting edge visuals and its totally failed as the story of Bilbo. I mean even if they were ignoring poor Bilbo for spectacle at least it should blow my socks off. and it didnt frankly.

Noria
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 12:25pm

Post #284 of 295 (1293 views)
Shortcut
I loved it too. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO this was not a trailer for Tolkien fans but was designed to attract the action movie fans that will see Man of Steel. So it was heavy on the action but Thranduil's monologue, Bilbo and the butterflies, the scenes with Bard and Thorin and Legolas and Tauriel made it clear that there will be quieter moments as well.

I think too that the trailer was designed to show people that DoS wil not just be AUJ 2, that there will be new characters and settings and a dragon.

I wasn't enamoured of some of the CGI but that is minor. What Smaug sounds like is of more interest to me than what he looks like.

I thought that both Legolas and Tauriel were completely unobjectionable.

Thranduil was fabulous, - the look, the voice, and dare I say it - the hair, and yes, even the eyebrows. But it's mainly his presence and line delivery that impressed me.

I didn't like this trailer as much as the first AUJ one, which was designed for Tolkien fans IMO, but I liked it a lot.

And I appreciate the positivity of this sub-thread.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 2:30pm

Post #285 of 295 (1248 views)
Shortcut
but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course you know there WILL be more trailers right??? and you know trailers tend to be different from one another (remember the first hobbit trailer and then the second?)

This one is just a teaser...

And please to all... remember this isn't suppose to be an adaptation of The Hobbit Tolkien originally wrote, but of The Hobbit he would have liked to have written once he finished LOTR. That's a very important thing to remember.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jun 12 2013, 2:45pm

Post #286 of 295 (1261 views)
Shortcut
I loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and the butterflies...my favorite so far. The Halls of the Elven-king...reminds me of both Rivendell and Lorien, but with its own individual flair. Barrels!! This bit made me laugh :) Is that a Warg or a Bear that Bilbo and the others face trying to get in a door? Thorin opening the Secret Door...Spiders in Mirkwood Crazy. And Smaug...he's looking for YOU!

"You have an axe...coming out of your face...you know that?"

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 2:57pm

Post #287 of 295 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Everyone needs to realize that the final product will be in 3D/48fps [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone seems to be complaining about over the top CGI, bright colors, fake looking sets and green screens, but everyone saw this trailer in 2D at 24fps. When this thing hits the big screen in all its glory, those unique aspects will be brought out. I truly believe that the color will be less bright and noticable in 3D and the things that look fake will stand out better in 48 fps, at least I hope so.

Plus, again, all of these shots aren't finished yet. They will continue to work on most of them and refine them. I'm sure that the different departments had to just turn something over to make the trailer.

Finally, I believe that this is the next generation of movie making. I know that there were many ways to make this more real looking and natural like LOTR, but let's be honest, this is the direction that moviemakers are going. Technology is advancing and we might never get some of those more authenticating films. Things continually get clearer and more detailed. We need to accept this new direction in movie making, whether we like it or not.

No matter what anyone else says about this next movie, or AUJ, I absolutely love these films and I cannot wait!!!

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jun 12 2013, 7:37pm

Post #288 of 295 (1181 views)
Shortcut
True, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see the dragon in Merlin first time while watching the show, or did you just watch a short out of context clip of it? Same with Jurassic Park. I think the impact comes mostly from seeing the reveal in context, and experiencing the full rythm of the scene and not just a two second clip cut to the end of a trailer. This is why I think it would have been best to leave Smaug hidden untill december. I understand that they needed to tell the general audience that "don't worry, we didn't show you the dragon in the last movie, but you'll see it in this movie", but I think it would have been enough if we only saw Smaug starting to glide behind the corner and then trailer would have ended before we actually fully see his face. It would have been a tease, but also a promise to those who are not familiar with the story that the Dragon will make an appearance in DOS.

In any case, I'm happy with the design so far, the way his face looks, it's appropriately old and conniving and self-assured (jimmyfenn put links to some brighten up screen shots earlier where you can see his face more clearly), the cgi could use some work, I guess, but I'm confident he'll be great when we finally see (and hear) him the way he is meant to be seen.

And I do agree about the T-Rex in Jurassic park. I just watched that movie recently and was amazed how well it holds up. It still looks as good or even better than many of the movies coming out today.

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Jun 12 2013, 7:40pm)

Elwen
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 8:00pm

Post #289 of 295 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Looks like an exciting adaptation. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not excited about it the way I should be. For every image I was excited to see (Bilbo and the black emperor butterflies, Smaug's head, Bilbo and the spiders) there were 4 that made me sad (Elves chasing the barrels? Azog attacking the elves? Tauriel having what's obviously a character arc instead of just a few lines?)

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Kassandros
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 9:33pm

Post #290 of 295 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Underwhelmed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been taking a break from TORN and most Hobbit news in general for the last few months. I felt I knew too much going into AUJ and am trying to avoid that with DoS, but I still figured watching the trailers would be ok.

I found myself very underwhelmed by this trailer, though. Everything looked like plastic and was far too bright. Didn't look like the second part of a trilogy at all. Hopefully the trailer wasn't very representative. I liked AUJ and was really looking forward to DoS, but this has lessened my enthusiasm for now. Smaug will be a very important part of the film and I loved what I saw of him before. But his appearance in the trailer felt quite "meh" to me.

Anyway, just another vote for "disappointing" I guess. Hopefully the actual movie will turn out much better.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 14 2013, 1:03am

Post #291 of 295 (1093 views)
Shortcut
How many times have you watched it? [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I watched it I was so disappointed. But then I watched it a few more times, and each time it has grown on me. It really has me excited now, and that says a lot considering you know what I thought of AUJ.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Kassandros
Rohan

Jun 15 2013, 3:40am

Post #292 of 295 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Five now. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had seen it about three when I posted that and I watched it twice more just now in full HD.

I like it a little better now, but my disappointment still stands. The dialog seems pretty bad and the visuals and action too shiny. Tauriel doesn't really seem like a Middle Earth elf, but I understand we've never seen her kind before. Don't think I wanted to see that much of Smaug yet - he doesn't get the time to establish himself so he's just a cgi dragon and that's just kinda meh.

Trailer doesn't matter a whole lot, but I don't find myself excited. Perhaps good since I really want to cut back on spoilers and such this time, even if that means I largely am avoiding TORN.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 15 2013, 11:16pm

Post #293 of 295 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Trailer and whatnot [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides when Tauriel says "our" really weird, I don't understand how she doesn't seem like any other Middle-earth elf. I know it's just preference, but I think she looks like a good addition.

I, too, found the revelation of Smaug to be underwhelming. I don't like the look so far and can only hope it looks infinitely better when we see all of him. Maybe they were looking for him to look like an animatronic dragon, but that's what he looked like to me. Oh, and I think revealing him in a trailer was an awful idea.

I agree, a trailer doesn't mean a whole lot, but I'm sad you don't seem to be excited. And even though you're avoiding spoilers, you're always welcome on the other boards. You don't have to avoid TORn completely Smile

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 16 2013, 12:08am

Post #294 of 295 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Smaug Reveal [In reply to] Can't Post

If you notice, Smaug's head coming around the corner to find Bilbo looks a lot more like 2D animation planes being moved relative to each other than a 3D treatment.

Think cartoons - and how backgrounds move to give the foreground characters motion. It's a very unreal effect for live action and so I gather it's an unfinished effect. What I mean here is that it looks like Smaug has not yet been integrated or animated well enough to be in the same 3D space as Bilbo. He doesn't move appropriately relative to the rest of the scene. They probably cheated for time and will obviously finish it to better effect for the movie's release.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 16 2013, 12:31am

Post #295 of 295 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Smaug animation [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally understand what you're saying, and that's probably the weird "animatronic-like" movement that I'm noticing. It's actually so distracting (and because I don't like his design) that I generally turn the trailer off before watching that part.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.