Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Answers & Results, and housekeeping

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 11 2013, 12:02pm

Post #1 of 14 (239 views)
Shortcut
SAST Answers & Results, and housekeeping Can't Post

Real life caught up with me the last couple of weeks, and is still rather in the way, so apologies for getting behind with these. I'm posting the Answers & Results to the final three quizzes below: quizzes 17 & 18 now, 19 soon, and the *drumroll* Overall Series Results soon too, though the latter may be as a new thread if I can't get to it soon enough.

Now, housekeeping: regarding the NEXT SAST quiz series: as I've mentioned before, it will cover LOTR and (IIRC) there are 52 chapters so that's going to keep us busy for quite a while! It will start the first week of August, after I get back from my upcoming trip to the US. We'll cover the three books in LOTR in order, but the chapters in each book will be in random order as per usual. I may occasionally need a week off -- hard to predict 52 weeks in advance! And the day/time of normal posting may change. I'll post an update closer to the first quiz.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 11 2013, 12:05pm

Post #2 of 14 (124 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #17 Answers & Results [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks to the 24 of you who participated in this quiz! Average score was about a 3.6 – well done. As always, do let me know if you have any comments or questions. Complaints? That's another matter. Wink

Answers

1. What news does Roäc son of Carc bring the Dwarves that causes them to spring up and caper about for joy?

[Roäc speaking] “ ‘Behold! The birds are gathering bck again to the Mountain and to Dale from South and East and West, for word has gone out that Smaug is dead!’ ”

2. In response to Roäc’s tidings, Thorin asks him to do two specific things. One is to bring the Dwarves news of any people or armies that draw near to the Mountain. What is the other thing Thorin asks of Roäc?

“Also I would beg of you…that you would send messengers to our kin in the mountains of the North, both west from here and east, and tell them of our plight. But go specially to my cousin Dáin in the Iron Hills, for he has many people well-armed…. Bid him hasten!”

3. Several days pass between that conversation with Roäc and the arrival of the Elves and Lake-men at the Mountain. What is the main task at which the Dwarves labour hard during this interval?

“As you have heard some of the events already, you will see that the dwarves still had some days before them…. They…found, as they expected, that only the Front Gate remained open…. So now they began to labour hard in fortifying the main entrance, and in making a new path that led from it.”

4. Thorin’s mood is particularly grim on the first night that the encampment of Men and Elves is moved close to the Gate. What do the other Dwarves do to soften his mood?

“Then the dwarves themselves brought forth harps and instruments regained from the hoard, and made music to soften his mood; but their song was not as elvish song, and was much like the song they had sung long before in Bilbo’s little hobbit-hole.”

5. Thorin refuses Bard’s request to parley and tells him that if he wants to speak again with Thorin, two conditions must be met. One is that the arms of Bard and his men must be laid down before they approach the threshold of the Gate. What is the other condition?

[Thorin speaking] “ ‘And if you would speak with me again, first dismiss the elvish host to the woods where it belongs, and then return, laying down your arms before you approach the threshold.’ ”

Results

5 Points
Angharad73
Brethil
dernwyn
elaen32
Elessar
Elwen
Esmeralda
grammaboodawg
Kaede (welcome!!!)
Riven Delve
sador
Silverlode

4 Points
Aragalen the Green
Elberbeth
Nira
The Prancing Pony
Ziggy Stardust

3 Points
entmaiden

1 Point
Arandiel
Ataahua
ryouko
SirDennisC

0 Points (not that they wanted points!)
Darkstone
Eruwestial37

Invisible Extra Credit to: Aragalen the Green; Ataahua; Darkstone; dernwyn; elaen32; Elberbeth; Elwen; entmaiden; Eruwestial37; Esmeralda; grammaboodawg; Nira; ryouko; SirDennisC; The Prancing Pony

Double IEC to both Angharad73 and Arandiel for, as usual, working Thorin’s hair into every answer; to Brethil not just for the lovely pic (bribery? What bribery?) but especially for the fantastic Poe parody (Mr Ro even said “Very nice!”!) – well done!; to Riven Delve also for a great picture bribe; to sador for illustrating all his answers quite appropriately; and to Silverlode for outdoing herself with song parodies (I sing “Hush Little Baby” to NZ Toddler every night at bedtime, and I’m THRILLED to have this new version to sing to her!Heart).

(This post was edited by Roheryn on Jun 11 2013, 12:10pm)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 11 2013, 12:08pm

Post #3 of 14 (122 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #18 Answers & Results [In reply to] Can't Post

Well-done on this one, everyone! Many thanks to the 22 of you who played along. Average score was a whopping 4.0 – clearly I made this too easy! Clever hobbitses, to score so well. Questions, comments -- ask away!

Answers

1. Bilbo finds himself alone in the Goblin tunnels. He continues down and down, until he does something suddenly that pulls him up sharp and short. What?

“Suddenly without any warning he trotted splash into water! Ugh! it was icy cold. That pulled him up sharp and short.”

2. Where does Gollum make his home, such as it is?

“Actually Gollum lived on a slimy island of rock in the middle of the lake.”

3. What’s the answer to this riddle? “It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,/ Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. / It lies behind stars and under hills,/ And empty holes it fills./ It comes first and follows after,/ Ends life, kills laughter.”

“Unfortunately for Gollum Bilbo had heard that sort of thing before; and the answer was all round him any way. “Dark!” he said without even scratching his head or putting on his thinking cap.”

4. When Bilbo asks his last question, “What have I got in my pocket?”, Gollum guesses four things in his three guesses. Name all four of these things. [Must get all four for credit!]

“ ‘Handses!’ said Gollum.” … “ ‘Knife! he said at last.” … “ ‘String, or nothing!’ he said.”

5. As Bilbo is making his escape from the Goblins, he gets himself stuck in the doorway between the door and the doorpost. What part of his clothing does he lose when he gives a terrific squirm and manages to free himself?

“He tried to squeeze through the crack. He squeezed and squeezed, and he stuck! …. He gave a terrific squirm. Buttons burst off in all directions. He was through, with a torn coat and waistcoat…while bewildered gobblins were still picking up his nice brass buttons on the doorstep.”

Results

5 Points
Angharad73
elaen32
Elberbeth
Elessar
Elwen
Esmeralda
grammaboodawg
Nira
Riven Delve
sador
Silverlode
The Prancing Pony

4 Points
Brethil
dernwyn
entmaiden
SirDennisC

3 Points
Ataahua
Hamfast Gamgee
Ziggy Stardust

2 Points
Arandiel

0 Points (though they weren’t trying!)
Darkstone
Eruwestial37

Invisible Extra Credit to: Darkstone; dernwyn; elaen32; Elwen; Eruwestial37; Esmeralda; Hamfast Gamgee; Nira; SirDennisC; Ziggy Stardust

Double IEC to Angharard73 and Arandiel for working Thorin’s hair in to each answer (well done, ladies!Heart); to Ataahua for the haikus (excellent!!!); to Brethil not only for the clever poem but for the cuuute widdle puppy-dog pictureHeart; to Riven Delve for the kingly bribe (and a *whap* for the first “bribe”ShockedWink); to sador for the very witty answers as usual; and to Silverlode for the illustrations.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2013, 11:31pm

Post #4 of 14 (101 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause* Well Done, Ro :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You've taken us on a mighty journey while juggling all your RL demands.... although that little army of yours are QUITE ADORABLE!

Cripes... I hope you have a wonderful trip to the U.S. It must be surreal getting ready to go :D

I think it's only logical and practical to start LotR later and NOT to worry about missing a week here and there. It makes it easier to enjoy these yourself if you don't feel like you have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Let's not sweat the small stuff and just have fun as only your SAST can do :)

*flying tackle hug* Thank you! Thank you! And Bon Voyage!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 1:36am

Post #5 of 14 (82 views)
Shortcut
It's been great fun - will be more fun - and we all thank you!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have great trip and do what you need to do, then you can get us moving through LOTR when all else is done! Cool Going to be fun - I will have to build up an interesting store of bribery pictures, though....hmmmm....!!!!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 13 2013, 3:15am

Post #6 of 14 (90 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

how anyone will be able to work Thorin's hair into their responses if we do LOTR. THAT will get triple IEC, I imagine Cool.

Safe travels, my friend SmileWink

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 3:46am

Post #7 of 14 (79 views)
Shortcut
This was cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never done this before and it was fun seeing what I could recall from memory. Thank you so much for doing these. Cool

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 10:44am

Post #8 of 14 (88 views)
Shortcut
Quiz #19 Answers & Results [In reply to] Can't Post

*Ro sneaks in, wondering if anyone notices* Well, here they are: answers and results for the very last The Hobbit SAST quiz! We made it! *You* lot made it! Round of applause to everyone for playing along, and making this so much fun. It’s been a highlight of my week for the last 19 weeks! Thanks to the 24 of you who played this week! Average score was a 3.25, so right about where it ought to be. Questions and comments? Do let me know!

*Ro sneaks out, yawning mightily* What? It’s bedtime!

Answers

1. What month is it when Bilbo and Gandalf return to Rivendell?

“It was on May the First that the two came back at last to the brink of the valley of Rivendell…”

2. On his first night in Rivendell, what awakens Bilbo a little before dawn?

“He woke to find himself in a white bed, and the moon shining through an open window. Below it many elves were singing loud and clear on the banks of the stream.”

3. At some point after Bilbo and Gandalf pass the place where the Company had their adventure with the trolls, Bilbo mops his face with a red silk handkerchief. Where did he get this handkerchief?

“He mopped his face with a red silk handkerchief – no! not a single one of his own had survived, he had borrowed this one from Elrond – for now June had brought summer…”

4. Besides the silver spoons lost at the auction, what else had Bilbo lost?

“Indeed Bilbo found he had lost more than spoons – he had lost his reputation.”

5. Some years later, as Bilbo is sitting in his study writing his memoirs, there is a ring at the door. Who is it?

“”One autumn evening some years aferwars Bilbo was sitting in his study writing his memoirs...when there was a ring at the door. It was Gandalf and a dwarf; and the dwarf was actually Balin.”

Results

5 Points
Angharad73
Aragalen the Green
Brethil
dernwyn
elaen32
Elberbeth
grammaboodawg
sador

4 Points
Elessar
entmaiden
Hamfast Gamgee
Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Ziggy Stardust

3 Points
Ataahua
Elwen
Riven Delve
Silverlode
The Prancing Pony

2 Points
Esmeralda

1 Point
SirDennisC

0 Points (even though they weren’t trying for points!)
Arandiel
DanielLB (Welcome!!!)
Darkstone
Eruwestial37

Invisible Extra Credit to:
Aragalen the Green; Arandiel; Ataahua; DanielLB; Darkstone; dernwyn; elaen32; Elberbeth; Elessar; Elwen; Eruwestial37; Esmeralda; Hamfast Gamgee; Rosie-with-the-ribbons; Silverlode; SirDennisC; The Prancing Pony

Double IEC to: Angharad73 (*sniff* Thorin’s hair – one last time!); Brethil, for another very well-written poem; Riven Delve – bribery gets you everywhere; and sador, for yet another witty set of themed answers. Well done, you four!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 11:11am

Post #9 of 14 (70 views)
Shortcut
Is that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a challenge? Tongue

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 11:14am

Post #10 of 14 (65 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much, Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

This has been so much fun!Smile

Now, I don't know LOTR as well as I do the Hobbit (much bigger book, far more details...), but I'm looking forward to the quizzes nevertheless!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2013, 11:15am

Post #11 of 14 (66 views)
Shortcut
That's a challenge [In reply to] Can't Post

that I sure wouldn't hinder! Wink

I was watching ROTK this evening. I *love* the LOTR trilogy for all sorts of reasons; favourite movies of all time, I could watch them on endless repeat...you know, normal stuff for around here. But this evening as I was watching? All I could think of -- "This is dull without Thorin! I want my Dwarves!"

I may be spoiled forever.

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 14 2013, 11:52am

Post #12 of 14 (56 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Aragorn's hair just can't compare... Tongue Maybe if he would grow it out a bit, wash it every now and again... Hmm, already getting some ideas here Blush Will stash them away for future quiz answers.

I feel very much the same way, though. I love LOTR to bits, but I find myself missing the Dwarves, one in particular Angelic

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 14 2013, 11:22pm

Post #13 of 14 (71 views)
Shortcut
According to that Weta book [In reply to] Can't Post

Most wigs had human and yak hair, but they made Thorin's wig out of pure human hair, so that it would flow "romantically"!

They knew what they were doing...!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Elwen
Lorien

Jun 26 2013, 3:10pm

Post #14 of 14 (43 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for putting this on for all of us! [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine it's quite a bit of work on your part.

*applause*

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.