Cumberbatch as Smaug
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

aarondirebear
Bree

Jun 10 2013, 7:48pm

Post #1 of 41 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch as Smaug Can't Post

Having gone back and watched several movies with Benedict Cumberbatch, I have come to a singular conclusion:

Smaug is going to suck. Cumberbatch. Can't. Act.

In every role he steps into he stands around, stares blankly and talks in a bored monotone as if on a severe caffeine withdrawel. Smaug is a freaking dragon; he needs to have a booming voice that is larger than life and not sound like he is trying to do his best impression of Severus Snape. There is just no enthusiasm in his manner of speech, nor in his blocking or gesturing.

"Others are inclined to say that any two stories that are built round the same folk-lore motive, or are made up of a generally similar combination of such motives, are "the same stories." Statements of that kind are not true, they are not true in art or literature. It is precisely the colouring, the atmosphere, the unclassifiable individual details of a story, and above all the general purport that informs with life the undissected bones of the plot, that really count." J.R.R. Tolkien

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 10 2013, 7:49pm

Post #2 of 41 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're entitled to your opinion of course but I strongly suspect you'll be on your own here. This guy is a phenomenal actor.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 8:04pm

Post #3 of 41 (1147 views)
Shortcut
yeah im sure your gonna be on your own here ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

you have made some correct observations concerning cumerbatch, but not smaug, but highlight why cumberbatch is the right choice.

smaug main character is arrogance! and i think a bored monotone is perfect! actually alan rickman would have been a good option too,

smaug isnt a typical big shouty dragon, he is an arrogant cunning worm.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jun 10 2013, 8:05pm

Post #4 of 41 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Don't go out in sunlight [In reply to] Can't Post

you may turn to stone......

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 10 2013, 8:09pm

Post #5 of 41 (1133 views)
Shortcut
I've never said much about Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

And while I can't say I totally agree with you (because I'm not going to get worried/concerned by something I haven't seen yet), this is the one piece of casting that doesn't sit right with me (with Stephen Fry a close second).

If I'm brutally honest, I'm not much of a fan of Cumberbatch, nor any of his previous TV and film roles. Everyone seems to rate him highly, but I don't really get it. I hope Smaug's voice doesn't sound much like the actor - I hope it undergoes serious editing.

I like to be proven wrong, so I hope he exceeds my expectations.

Smile

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jun 10 2013, 8:09pm

Post #6 of 41 (1071 views)
Shortcut
He'll be good [In reply to] Can't Post

What are the odds we hear his voice in the trailer tom. like the Star Trek one?
Probably impossible as I think we (and the dwarves) are supposed to be kept in the dark on his situation until Bilbo lays eyes on him.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 8:23pm

Post #7 of 41 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Ive only seen [In reply to] Can't Post

a few episodes of Sherlock and in independent british film in which he plays a chemestry teacher .

I think hes good enough, that character was massively different from the other. Plus he has a nice, velvelt like, seductive voice...Thats the most important aspect of his performance i woudl wager.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

ThorinIIIStonehelm
The Shire

Jun 10 2013, 8:29pm

Post #8 of 41 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Sorry but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I disagree. In every role I have seen him in I feel that he has excelled. For me, his portrayal of Smaug will be the thing I'm looking forward to most in the next film.
Sorry but like others have said, I think you'll be on your own Unsure

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 8:34pm

Post #9 of 41 (1013 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he's a terrible actor, but I hope he tones down the melodrama [In reply to] Can't Post

present toward the end of that last Abrams...abomination. Otherwise Smaug and the Necro risk ending up being cartoon characters, and not necessarily just because they're CGI.

Necromancer: "NO COUNCIL SHOULD GO DOWN WITHOUT ITS GANDALF"!

Cue Raddy and Galadriel swooping in and rescuing what is quite obviously an inflatable doll in a Gandalf hat.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jun 10 2013, 8:41pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 10 2013, 8:41pm

Post #10 of 41 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Velvet, seductive voice... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember the exact description I have when I first heard his voice in the Star Trek preview, but it was much this same sentiment. Personally, I think he's going to do the perfect dragon voice.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 10 2013, 8:45pm

Post #11 of 41 (994 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Think about it, This Way? [In reply to] Can't Post

1978, Bomby attended a Film Seminar at USC Film School in LA.
The most outstanding memory was seeing the First Reel of Stars Wars, RAW Footage.
Well, the Entrance of Lord Vadar, was so Clunky, You could tell IT...is was a Cheap Cadrboard set
...and The Body Double, David Prouse delivered DV's lines in this High Pitched British accent..
as well, as his Minions...had insipid voices.
David was a 6ft 6in. (1.98m) tall Bodybuilder?
Then we got to see the Finished Reel, and Boy! Howdy Dooty!, what a difference?
David played DV in all the first 3 ST films, and of Course gestured and delivered all the lines
..James Earl Jones VO'ed it.

While now, 35 years later..
Bomby has No Fear about BC's Smaug Voice-Over delivery?
You HAVE to remember, PJ has about 1500 people
working Day&Night to get everything RightON!
Park Road POST, employs the Best in the Sound Businees.
bomby doesn't want to be MEAN?
WRong...

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jun 10 2013, 8:51pm)

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jun 10 2013, 8:50pm

Post #12 of 41 (981 views)
Shortcut
To be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

I hold out more hope for Smaug and Cumberbatch than most other Jackson/ Fran/ Philipa decisions

Can't get worse than "Azog: Tolkien defiler," Radagastoner, Thorin always carrying around some old log, lineless Bombur, Trolls, Goblin King's death... I could go on, I hope Peter et al. are taking notes. And yeah, the old posters were terrible.

His voice will be fine, if they synthesize it, all the better.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 9:02pm

Post #13 of 41 (943 views)
Shortcut
Radagastoner? Not heard that before. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty funny, although I generally liked him.

I think C-Batch's voice is perfect, and I think his body movement in several of his roles has been very, well, sinewy. That to me bodes well for the motion capture aspect of the character.

Lindele
Gondor

Jun 10 2013, 9:18pm

Post #14 of 41 (922 views)
Shortcut
I have been waiting [In reply to] Can't Post

for these movies for over ten years...diligently, impatiently...I've desperately held onto any tiny bit of info that has been announced or released in that time. I was more nervous sitting in the theater to watch AUJ than I was the first time I kissed a girl when I was 16.
YET....
Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug is the single best thing about this trilogy.
I cannot understand or relate in any way to where you are coming from.
I find it devastatingly sad that you, or anyone, could feel this way.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jun 10 2013, 9:27pm

Post #15 of 41 (923 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch is perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope they put his voice through some serious audio editing so that it sounds like it's coming out of the voice box of an enormous reptile. If it's just the massive dragon with Cumberbatch's voice it'll sound a bit rubbish.

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

demnation
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 9:59pm

Post #16 of 41 (888 views)
Shortcut
I'm not the biggest fan of Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

He didn't really blow me way in Sherlock or Star Trek, but I have a good feeling that he will be awesome as Smaug.

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 10:23pm

Post #17 of 41 (874 views)
Shortcut
I like Cumberbatch, but his voice sounds young no matter how he twists it [In reply to] Can't Post

Not something that would fit an old Dragon without some editing, in my opinion Smile

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 10:37pm

Post #18 of 41 (860 views)
Shortcut
His voice will be great [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm calling it right now. His voice will be great. He has a deep voice and it will be perfect for the role. I enjoy him as an actor and think he'll be great. I'm not sure who else would have been great in the role. You need a legit Brit accent, someone with a deep cave voice. As for his vice being young..I don't know to me that doesn't really make a difference. The bottom line is his voice has a certain clarity, which is important. He enunciates very distinctly which is exactly what you want in this role. I think it will be terrific.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 10:42pm

Post #19 of 41 (835 views)
Shortcut
I agree I think we'll be fine with his performance [In reply to] Can't Post

its the dialogue and what he's given to work with that I'm worried about. Tongue If they stick to the text from the book we'll be alright, but if they wing it and make a lot of it up were in trouble Wink. But I agree about the quality of Cumberbatches voice he has a smooth seductive characteristic to his voice fused with arrogant mannerisms. Which if its mixed right, with say a lion's growl, or some other large predator, maybe even lower the pitch a little, it should work just fine for the likes of Smaug.

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jun 10 2013, 10:44pm)

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 11:04pm

Post #20 of 41 (823 views)
Shortcut
So, out of curiosity: [In reply to] Can't Post

just what *does* a voice sound like when coming out of the voice box of an enormous reptile? Especially since, technically, reptiles don't have voice boxes. Seems like we'd have quite a lot of leeway with what this ought to sound like since I'd hazard a guess that none of us have ever heard a giant reptile speaking. Tongue

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 11:04pm

Post #21 of 41 (803 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
its the dialogue and what he's given to work with that I'm worried about. Tongue If they stick to the text from the book we'll be alright, but if they wing it and make a lot of it up were in trouble Wink. But I agree about the quality of Cumberbatches voice he has a smooth seductive characteristic to his voice fused with arrogant mannerisms. Which if its mixed right, with say a lion's growl, or some other large predator, maybe even lower the pitch a little, it should work just fine for the likes of Smaug.

The meting of Smaug and Bilbo is an iconic scene on par with the Riddle Game. Here's hoping the writers maintain Tolkien's dialog and do add too much of their own. If that happens Woo Hoo! It will be great.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 11:08pm

Post #22 of 41 (818 views)
Shortcut
With him it's all about the voice [In reply to] Can't Post

Cumberbatch's vocal delivery is amazing. I don't think there's anyone out there who could do a better job than how I imagine he will.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 11:24pm

Post #23 of 41 (795 views)
Shortcut
He'll leave his mark for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Or his note..that's what dragons do don't they? Leave a note? Wink

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Username4242
Bree

Jun 10 2013, 11:25pm

Post #24 of 41 (838 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen Cumberbatch as Stephen Hawking? [In reply to] Can't Post

This pretty much solidified my thoughts of how good of an actor he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGqcRGJ4VVY

Seeing all of the subtle physical and verbal transformations as Hawking decays is remarkable.

(This post was edited by Username4242 on Jun 10 2013, 11:26pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 11:38pm

Post #25 of 41 (812 views)
Shortcut
Regarding his age [In reply to] Can't Post

from what I've been reading it's my understanding that he also motion captured Smaug. Obviously, if that was the way the powers that be wanted to go concessions were going to have to be made, because your average 70-80 year old isn't going to be slithering around Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.