Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10 2013, 10:46am

Views: 195
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

(I did a variation of this one recently, but this one is geared more towards how it appeared in TH:AUJ.)

Here's another Book Spoiler comparing the book to the screen as we look at how the Company was formed... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

... Thorin, an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself... ...Thorin indeed was very haughty, and said nothing about service...

... '...Now we are all here!" said Gandalf... "...Quite a merry gathering! I hope there is something left for the late-goers to eat and drink! What's that? Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think, for me..."

... ...the hobbit stumped off to the pantries...

... "...Seems to know as much about the inside of my larders as I do myself!" thought Mr. Baggins, who was feeling positively flummoxed, and was beginning to wonder whether a most wretched adventure had not come right into his house. By the time he had got all the bottles and dishes and knives and forks and glasses and plates and spoons and things piled up on big trays, he was getting very hot, and red in the face, and annoyed.

... "Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!" he said aloud. "Why don't they come and lend a hand?" Lo and behold! there stood Balin and Dwalin at the door of the kitchen, and Fili and Kili behind them, and before he could say knife they had whisked the trays and a couple of small tables into the parlour and set out everything afresh.

... Gandalf sat at the head of the party with the thirteen dwarves all round: and Bilbo sat on a stool at the fireside, nibbling at a biscuit (his appetite was quite taken away), and trying to look as if this was all perfectly ordinary and not in the least an adventure. The dwarves ate and ate, and talked and talked, and time got on. At last they pushed their chairs back, and Bilbo made a move to collect the plates and glasses...

... ...Thereupon the twelve dwarves... ...jumped to their feet, and made tall piles of all the things. Off they went, not waiting for trays, balancing columns of plates, each with a bottle on the top, with one hand, while the hobbit ran after them almost squeaking with fright: "please be careful!" and "please, don't trouble! I can manage." But the dwarves only started to sing:

…………….BOOK………………………………………………………..MOVIE

Chip the glasses and crack the plates!……………….. “Blunt the knives, bend the forks
Blunt the knives and bend the forks! ………………..
Smash the bottles and burn the corks
….
That's what Bilbo Baggins hates—……………….. Chip the glasses and crack the plates
Smash the bottles and burn the corks! ………………..
That’s what Bilbo Baggins hates!

Cut the cloth and tread on the fat! ……………….. Cut the cloth and tread on the fat
Pour the milk on the pantry floor! ……………….. Leave the bones on the bedroom mat
Leave the bones on the bedroom mat! ………………..
Pour the milk on the pantry floor
Splash the wine on every door! ……………….. Splash the wine on every door

….
Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl; ……………….. Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl
Pound them up with a thumping pole; ……………….. Pound them up with a thumping pole
And when you've finished, if any are whole, ………………..
And when you’ve finished, if they are whole
Send them down the hall to roll! ……………….. Send them down the hall to roll
… That's what Bilbo Baggins hates! ……………….. That’s what Bilbo Baggins hates!”

. So carefully! carefully with the plates!

... And of course they did none of these dreadful things, and everything was cleaned and put away safe as quick as lightning, while the hobbit was turning round and round in the middle of the kitchen trying to see what they were doing.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Subject User Time
It's time for some BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 10 2013, 10:46am
    It's time for some more BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 11 2013, 10:29am
        It's time for some MORE BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 12 2013, 11:21pm
            It's time for some more BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 13 2013, 10:22am
                TIME - June 14 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 14 2013, 10:18am
                    It's time for some BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 16 2013, 2:15am
                        It's time for some more BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 17 2013, 1:51am
                            It's time for some MORE BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 17 2013, 6:56pm
                                It's time for some more BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 18 2013, 9:43am
        **Introduction and Explanation of TIME & BS posts for our newbies and lurkers :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 12 2013, 11:25pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.