Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Golden Rule

Dirhaval
The Shire

Jun 10 2013, 12:26am

Views: 209
Shortcut
Golden Rule Can't Post

I have searched this forum for a similar topic,but had no luck. I did not read every thread in the search results though.

I will first write about conscience, then of Boromir. Conscience is an inherit trait we all possess. Some say it is not universal. I will say it is universal but not fully used by all. Conscience is the inner voice that lets us consider the ramification of our actions; how we are all bonded in some transcended manner. Conscience needs doubt to live. The pursuit of perfection is the path of insanity. It is so since you forego all love until perfection is achieved. “Beyond a reasonable doubt” is a common phase. Why is that? For those who use conscience know that not all is widely known. Does not the uncertainty principle support this? One wise man said Lord of the Rings shows us how to live. Yes. It also shows us that conscience is a wonderful gift to use. Love those who do not use it. Jesus loves them too. These books today, which I have not read, Hunger Games and the like worship not using a conscience. Since planning is involved.

Then there is the One Ring. [Folks who support individual right to protect thyself read this carefully. Private message me for specifics]. It confers invisibility for the wearer. A nice trick when needed. The Council of Elrond knew eventually the One Ring would fall into (finger through) one who will use it for evil. Let’s say the owner like Bilbo used it once to avoid the relatives. Bilbo then believes a neighbor saw him disappear and reappear. Bilbo will begin to feel threatened by this. Bilbo would begin to have doubt grow in his mind on the desire of the witness to possess the ring. Bilbo’s mind would race into the dread of the neighbor stealing the ring. Bilbo would dare not inform others. Bilbo’s conscience would then be compromised by certainty. “Certainty the thief knows I know he has it. He will certainty not want another to know. He will certainty then kill me since when I take it back I will kill him. Yes, he will take it from me and kill me. The thief is having this same debate with himself right now. [Bilbo’s conscience is further suppressed by rationalizing the permission to kill another, “If I were him, I would kill me.” Once with permission, Bilbo’s schizophrenic mind goes further to plan and commit the act in cold-blood. Why is cold-blood worse than hot-blood; that in a moment.] Did not Gollum have such a debate with himself?

Invisibility is a state that desires more. Once you are invisible, you begin to hate being visible. You feel naked and shame. No wonder Adam and Eve in the Garden not only covered themselves, but were hiding too. Your conscience will bring shame. Pride will use shame to tempt you to hide longer. If you committed that act visible, you would not do it invisible as the faulty logic goes. Shame will lead itself as a final solution. This will lead you to want to be invisible more often. As invisible you are somewhat no longer in society, which your conscience will have no influence. Conscience only works on the visible.

Cold-blood means committing an evil act with forethought or planned. That means it is not solely on emotion. The heat of passion will dissipate, but if conscience is suppressed then the desire to circumvent barriers will busy the mind with acts that need conscience stop that wicked thought process. Now to the Golden Rule.

I have never been told why it is gold. Does not gold bring lust? Is not gold the ultimate from of technology? That is a different topic that will not be discussed here. I say that the Golden Rule has many audiences. One specific audience is those folk who do not use conscience. Think about it. If you met a man and he told you, “I frequently want to hurt others, but that Golden Rule always stops me.” That man has a faulted conscience. But what made that man in his sorting of memory and intake of reality not act? This jumble may bring to the surface the Golden Rule and stop him. Thus, when conscience is not being used one must need an outside force. That is why Galadriel gave Boromir a golden belt!

The belt was a reminder to Boromir to not take the One Ring. Okay, others have mentioned that before me. But not much about conscience. Why did Boromir seek Frodo in private? Boromir had barriers before him in a man, elf, and dwarf. Surely the rest of the company would subdue Boromir if he acted in rage in the midst of the company, maybe even dying out of fear he would inform the Enemy. Boromir feared Frodo would take the Ring to Sauron. You know, I think that was what Boromir would have done and to beg Sauron to be the Steward. Boromir felt certain Frodo would betray, but that was only the projection of Boromir onto Frodo. oh, projection is important too with hindering conscience.

In summary: Lord of the Rings delves the depths of conscience and the risk of not using it. Invisibility is a temptation that turns you against conscience. Life is not about fighting the next tyrant, police state, or conspiracy theory. Life is about embracing conscience and to be vigilant of those that want you to not use conscience. Look around you. Look and see barriers being installed that says “We know you do not have a conscience. We are doing this for your own good. Because someday your emotions will get you in hot trouble and you will stop and think how to bypass these barriers and you will keep on that wicked path since your conscience is locked away.” Sounds like a prison to me. Tolkien was on to something.

Subject User Time
Golden Rule Dirhaval Send a private message to Dirhaval Jun 10 2013, 12:26am
    How Not To Be Seen squire Send a private message to squire Jun 10 2013, 2:52am
        Interesting idea!: Invisibility is a temptation that turns you against conscience noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 10 2013, 8:00pm
            Invisibility Corrupts Dirhaval Send a private message to Dirhaval Jun 23 2013, 10:06pm
        Invisibility Corrupts Dirhaval Send a private message to Dirhaval Jun 23 2013, 9:59pm
    And from Dumbledore in Harry Potter Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Jun 10 2013, 11:15pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.