Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Is your Christmas shopping done?
Poll: Is your Christmas shopping done?
Yes
No
View Results (29 votes)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 22 2007, 10:32pm

Post #1 of 25 (473 views)
Shortcut
Is your Christmas shopping done? Can't Post

It either is or it isn't. Mine is not.Shocked

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2007, 10:35pm

Post #2 of 25 (278 views)
Shortcut
Qualified yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I make homemade toffee and peanut brittle to give as well as bought presents, and the candy-making is still going on this weekend. But I'm done shopping. Angelic

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 22 2007, 10:38pm

Post #3 of 25 (288 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the gifts for my mom was held up in shipping and won't arrive on time. If the four inches of snow out there disappear tomorrow, I might try to pick something else up. But our family is pretty used to the New Year's gift exchange of everything that didn't make it on time Wink

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 22 2007, 10:46pm

Post #4 of 25 (281 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thank the maker but not wrapped. n/t [In reply to] Can't Post

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2007, 12:31am

Post #5 of 25 (281 views)
Shortcut
Done, not wrapped [In reply to] Can't Post

There's one gift that will arrive after Christmas, and another gift will just have a facsimile on Tuesday morning. I have two presents wrapped, but that's only because the shop had free gift wrapping. Tomorrow is wrapping day.

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Dec 23 2007, 1:53am

Post #6 of 25 (272 views)
Shortcut
Yes, as much as it can be. [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister has agreed that my gift to here will be held off until after her divorce is finalized so that I can buy her something that she can really use and very much needs. At this point, we don't know exactly what that is going to be. But other than that, yup, everything is in-hand. Yipee!

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 23 2007, 2:32am

Post #7 of 25 (277 views)
Shortcut
No, it's not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having a hard time this year giving a darn about it.

I walked out of the Kohl's store this afternoon when I saw the checkout line went 3/4 of the way around the store.

It's so hard to know what to buy for people who don't want, need, or appreciate what you give them anyway...

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2007, 3:08am

Post #8 of 25 (277 views)
Shortcut
I recommend... [In reply to] Can't Post

A heifer or a goat or chickens to actually be given to a needy family someplace in the world.

Bestica
Bree

Dec 23 2007, 3:19am

Post #9 of 25 (254 views)
Shortcut
Nope, [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm sad to say it won't be until Monday.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 23 2007, 9:17am

Post #10 of 25 (268 views)
Shortcut
We decided not to exchange this year [In reply to] Can't Post

except for the kids, and it's been woooonderful! Best Christmas in a long time. :-)

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2007, 2:07pm

Post #11 of 25 (242 views)
Shortcut
Agreeing wholeheartedly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm having a hard time this year giving a darn about it.

I walked out of the Kohl's store this afternoon when I saw the checkout line went 3/4 of the way around the store.

It's so hard to know what to buy for people who don't want, need, or appreciate what you give them anyway...

Several years ago I decided that if I couldn't get to a store before 9 AM during the holiday season, I wasn't going.

Since I did manage that for the only person I'm buying anything for I supposed I can answer yes.

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Dec 23 2007, 2:08pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 23 2007, 3:47pm

Post #12 of 25 (237 views)
Shortcut
If you can call it shopping [In reply to] Can't Post

Several years ago I decided that the number one stress for me during the holidays was gift-buying. In the Gaffer's family you didn't buy just one gift for each person, you had to show up with shopping bags full of beautifully wrapped gifts.

I'm not embarrassed to say that the first Christmas after my mother in law passed away (may she rest in peace) I informed the family, "The potlatch is over. It's one gift apiece and that's that".

Since then the Gaffer and I have stopped buying gifts for each other and for our parents, and now for our kids. We only get one or two books or CDs for the grandchildren. (This year we got the Rankin Bass Hobbit for them.) The grandchildren's other grandparents load them down with stuff -- they don't need more from us. And it's not as though we don't get things for our kids' families all year.

That's my manifesto and I'm sticking with it!

Patty
Immortal

Dec 23 2007, 6:31pm

Post #13 of 25 (237 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thank the Lord.... [In reply to] Can't Post

whoever it was here that said Amazon was their friend (RosieLass, Aunt Dora?) I so agree--but by Amazon I mean on-line in general.

I'm so broke this year that I was glad to be able to trade my credit card points (saved over several years) in for gift cards. But then yesterday morning, I heard on CNN that $8 billion worth of gift cards purchased last year did not get used. That's $26 per person in the U.S.! Reasons? "I lost it", no time to redeem it, couldn't find anything I wanted, and then, the worst of all "they expired." This should never be--they should never expire in my opinion, and I only buy the ones that don't. And there are "fees" attached to some of them. The retailers really get over, when, most of the time folks don't spend down to the last cent on the card or else they have to add more money to them to get what they want. It's a no lose situation for the retailers. (rant off)

But yes, mine is done and all are wrapped.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 23 2007, 6:50pm

Post #14 of 25 (261 views)
Shortcut
In the 1960s [In reply to] Can't Post

my parents won a discount voucher for a washing machine but didn't have the money to make up the difference, so didn't use it. It took *years* for them to save for it, but finally they were able to dig out the voucher and use it to purchase a much-needed washing machine - all because the voucher didn't have an expiration date.

It was such a long time between winning the prize and using the voucher that the local newspaper ran a story about it!

Juju31
The Shire

Dec 23 2007, 11:27pm

Post #15 of 25 (226 views)
Shortcut
Done & wrapped - Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Husband still needs to wrap mine though.
Few years ago, companies started to not put expiration dates on gift cards - methinks a good idea. One never knows when one will use them. Bought a few this year along with little metal boxes they're calling"Gift Card holders." Doh! I do love that I was able to buy a Nordstrom gift card at the supermarket.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Dec 24 2007, 10:51am

Post #16 of 25 (213 views)
Shortcut
alternative Christmas [In reply to] Can't Post

Heifer International is a favorite among my friends. I have led a couple of workshops on alternative celebrations. Some gift suggestions (can be combined):
drawing names
gifts only for children 18 and under
gifts to elderly
three gifts (for three gifts from the Magi)
stocking stuffers only
limit on cost per gift or total
promised experiences or services, not material goods
individual or pooled gift to charity
reserving Christmas as a family/religious day (like Thanksgiving), and giving gifts on New Year's or Epiphany

Hope these ideas help next year! Heart

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2007, 12:28pm

Post #17 of 25 (234 views)
Shortcut
White elephant parties are fun, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

You only have to bring one gift, and there can be a spending limit. You can even bring something you have no use for yourself - a mathom! The rules are kind of complicated, but it goes something like this:

All the participants draw numbers. Person #1 picks a present out of the pile of wrapped gifts and opens it.

Then it's Person #2's turn. They can either take the present from Person #1 or else take a present out of the pile of wrapped presents and open it. If they "steal" the present from Person #1, Person #1 picks another present out of the pile and opens it.

Next it's Person #3's turn. They can either steal a present from one of the other two people or else take one from the pile. If they steal a present (say from Person #1), Person #1 can either steal the Person #2's present or else take one from the pile. If Person #1 steals Person #2's present, Person #2 picks another one out of the pile. It gets especially confusing toward the end when almost all the presents have been opened and people know they want a certain item. Then the stealing really becomes common. After all the players have gotten their gifts and everyone knows what they are, Person #1 gets to choose one more time so they don't get screwed, in fact the opposite. Oh, also, you can have a rule that a present can only get "stolen" twice and then it's frozen and gets to stay with its second "thief".

(This post was edited by Galadriel on Dec 24 2007, 12:28pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2007, 4:36pm

Post #18 of 25 (186 views)
Shortcut
Ummmm [In reply to] Can't Post

no! Trying to getting it done on Christmas Eve! I left my car at local watering hole and am trying to get back over there to get it to complete the shopping! Unfortunately most friends are in the same boat and can't be reached inside the malls (damn cell phones). So now the utterly beautiful, gorgeous, understanding, caring, wonderful gf is coming home from work to help a guy out! Good thing most of it is done! Sooooooooooooo I guess I'd best get ready for when the better half elegantly strides through that door! Anyway, Happy Holidays everyone and Happy New Year's to those that it applies to!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2007, 8:00pm

Post #19 of 25 (179 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did it all in one night. I *hate* Christmas shopping. I got it over and done with as fast as possible.

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 24 2007, 9:08pm

Post #20 of 25 (226 views)
Shortcut
Well we finally got all the presents wrapped. [In reply to] Can't Post

We exchange gifts on Christmas Eve, and have Santa on Christmas day for the little ones.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2007, 10:49pm

Post #21 of 25 (202 views)
Shortcut
I'm all wrapped now [In reply to] Can't Post

and very smug about it. The rest of the family is still working on it.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Dec 27 2007, 4:14pm

Post #22 of 25 (166 views)
Shortcut
STILL no! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have one more Christmas party and I usually wait until the sales after Christmas to shop for it. I'll be glad when I'm done, though, that's for sure!

Curious
Half-elven

Jan 14 2008, 8:14pm

Post #23 of 25 (195 views)
Shortcut
It's now January 14 and the answer is no, I still owe my mother a present. [In reply to] Can't Post

She gave me a pass to take care of the baby. But I really need to get her something -- probably a photo album.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 14 2008, 8:33pm

Post #24 of 25 (147 views)
Shortcut
And you can take it from this grandma... [In reply to] Can't Post

that would be a good present to have!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2008, 9:59pm

Post #25 of 25 (231 views)
Shortcut
Have you see those digital photo albums? [In reply to] Can't Post

They're pretty cool and hold a lot of pictures.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.