The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
We must make a petition !!!

Rogash
Bree

Dec 22 2007, 4:47pm

Post #1 of 4 (789 views)
Shortcut
We must make a petition !!! Can't Post

We should start a petition to postpone Tintin so that PJ can start on The Hobbit. We need these Hobbit movies sooner, not later. Does anyone agree? If so, let me know your thoughts on the best way to proceed with this.
Who is okay ?IT IS TIME FOR !!!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2007, 5:36pm

Post #2 of 4 (603 views)
Shortcut
I don't agree [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I don't think petitions work

2. I think it's unethical to ask someone to back out of a commitment they made just because someone else wants them to do something

3. I think another director could do a fine job with Peter involved as executive producer with complete creative control

4. We have heard nothing from Peter. He's taking some time off to spend the holidays with his family and will focus on The Hobbit in January. Until I understand his perspective, I think it's premature to form conclusions about what will or won't happen.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2007, 8:31pm

Post #3 of 4 (592 views)
Shortcut
I agree. And also... [In reply to] Can't Post

movies do not happen instantly. All we have so far is assurance that something is going to happen. There is plenty of time for many things to be planned, change, and change again. There is no great immediacy here. For one thing, they can't even write a script for the movie until the writer's strike is over, which could be quite a while yet.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 23 2007, 3:39am

Post #4 of 4 (624 views)
Shortcut
Rogash does have some legitimate concerns though.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....I looked up the Annoucement thread yesterday and early on in it, someone related that they spoke with a contact who was "in the upper ranks" of NL suits, who said that NL was hiring and overseeing the producers for the film, and any creative decisions Peter made would be "concurrent" with New Line. Then Thursday we we had the Conde Nast article, which stated that PJ's role was to be the "spirit guide" who "kept the flame going." Like the Broccoli role for James Bond. That doesn't sound like "complete creative control" to me. It's suspiciously ambiguous.
Even those of us who might be open to settling for a director like Del Toro, still wonder if any of this would be good if Peter does not have personal oversight and contributive power for the script. That I think is what REALLY counts. I fear that his political power may well be whittled slowly away now that he is safely " behind the scenes." After the way Bob Shaye handled TGC director Chris Weir this year, it's possible. if Shaye has not had a change of hear after the film's flop.

Petetions may not work, but masses of letters might. I think Rogash's concern is that the suits at NL and MGM have to be made aware that the fans are still following this very closely and just b/c there has not been a massive outcry like a year ago, they might think that we are giving them approval. Communication in the Elder Days of TORN was a 2-way street, That is what made TORN so great--as Entertainment Weekly noted. I fear this might be cut off. Again, as long as we don't know what happened, anything is possible.

In the meantime, I too agree that now isn't the time for such things.

Tis the season to be jolly and boy have we gotten a Christmas present! I am cautious, but rejoicing too!! Have a wonderful Happy Holidays everyone! And I for one will pray that, like the Grinch, Bob Shaye gets a new Heart for Christmas!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 23 2007, 3:43am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.