You're Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the little things, for 'better' or 'worse.'

Elwen
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 8:53pm

Post #77 of 293 (6048 views)
Shortcut
That's one thing that really gets under my skin... [In reply to] Can't Post

"the producers and Writers have CONTINUALLY stated their RESPECT for the source material, and in AUJ we got not a lot of respect for the source material"

Well said. You can't have it both ways. Either you respect the source material, or you're convinced you can do better and you so add skull avalanches, an Aragorn who has to be talked into being the king he was born to be by Elrond, Azog the fork monster, and
Rhosgobel rabbit-sleds.

That said, I'm glad the movies were made, and some parts are spot-on and lovely. There are just things that make me sad.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Macfeast
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 9:02pm

Post #78 of 293 (6027 views)
Shortcut
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, something does not need to be big (in this case, have plenty of screentime) to have a big impact.

There are plenty of moments in AUJ that had plenty of impact, yet I can't imagine them lasting much longer than a minute or two (each); The Misty Mountains song, Bilbo walking through an empty Bag End, Bilbo's dialogue with Bofur, to name a few. Likewise, Tauriel need not have plenty of screentime to leave a lasting impact upon the story.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jun 5 2013, 9:11pm)

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 9:11pm

Post #79 of 293 (5996 views)
Shortcut
yeah it is a strange fate [In reply to] Can't Post

Why waste your mind with negative thoughts over it? And wth are people talking about PJ having no respect for the source material? Basically everything from the book is in the movie but with a few added "impovements".

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 5 2013, 9:30pm

Post #80 of 293 (5994 views)
Shortcut
yes skull avalanche was defo not good [In reply to] Can't Post

but I find, personally speaking obviously, that the clunky bits in LOTR can be forgiven because when LOTR is good, its very very very good. In the Whole set of films, what is it, 12 hours or so for the EE's? theres not one minute when I am bored or drifting. My Whole concentration is fixed on screen, I am fully absorbed and loving every frikkin moment, Dwarf tossing and all.
Not so AUJ, there are whole chunks, say from after they leave Hobbiton to Gollum, and after Gollum to the Eagles, maybe 80% where I am bored and twitchy and feeling cheated and sad, and thinking to myself I waited YEARS FOR THIS CRAP. whats going on with the score? why is this cgi cartoon baddie in it again, why is Saruman whinging when in TT he was MAGNIFICENT, why is Galadriel looking so much older and yeah whats with the fake twirl, and why oh why is BILBO not the most important character??????? but yeah, disappointed. lots.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 10:14pm

Post #81 of 293 (5950 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't have said it better... [In reply to] Can't Post

This latest news is so depressing - but hardly unexpected given the writing team's track record - that I can barely bring myself to comment. < sigh>

How can yet another subplot/character arc for a made-up character be necessary or do anything but distract from the main storyline? Whilst I can see Bard's back story is necessary and hopefully will be fitting and "respectful" of the Professor, surely Tauriel is just unwarranted padding...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 10:26pm

Post #82 of 293 (5935 views)
Shortcut
What makes you think a by-the-book adaptation would not work? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, the book has been out since the late 1930s, and is still widely read today, so I'm not sure why we needed Azog, Tauriel, and Rhosgobel rabbits at all. I think the movie(s) would have fared just fine without adding all of the crap that's not in the books. I like the idea of 3 Middle-earth-themed films on top of LOTR, I just wish half of it wasn't fan-fiction.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 10:30pm

Post #83 of 293 (5964 views)
Shortcut
I thought it had already been established she's in love with Thranduil? [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever the case, I'm guessing her (possible) fate will have such an effect on Legolas that leaves him hating Dwarves.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 10:33pm

Post #84 of 293 (5940 views)
Shortcut
Fan-fic padding... [In reply to] Can't Post

is the reason we're getting 3 movies made out of a 300-page book. Some of the padding, I'm fine with (bigger backstory for Bard, showing just what Gandalf was up to when he left the group), and some of it I detest (anything with Azog). )I just wish Jackson or Boyens would come out and admit that they could only reach 3 films by inventing a crapload of material, instead of trying to convince everyone that the High Fells were part of the appendices.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 10:38pm

Post #85 of 293 (5923 views)
Shortcut
Just going to wait it for the film [In reply to] Can't Post

And decide whether I like her or not. At the moment I don't have much problem with a character being included for the sake of fleshing out a race as long as the character isn't annoying. I liked Lily in Lost, and I don't think she looks plastic or overly Hollywood as some people have said, her costume seems pretty decent for a lesser elf, her bow looks like it's made of gold in that picture which is a little odd.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 10:51pm

Post #86 of 293 (5935 views)
Shortcut
I thought so too [In reply to] Can't Post

And that would also pretty much confirm we won't get a big love story, only one sided crush on her king. I could deal with it. No scrap that, it sounds sweet! The lady and the knight, the courtly love, but gender bent! Like Éowyn and Faramir were a gender bender of the moody warrior being healed by the love of a gentle, wise woman. Am I starting to get excited about this?

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jun 5 2013, 10:53pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 11:09pm

Post #87 of 293 (5910 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

That's more what I expect the actual look is like.

As far as the character I'm not going to go too far one way or the other based on what little is out there.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 5 2013, 11:16pm

Post #88 of 293 (5923 views)
Shortcut
You romantic softie You! [In reply to] Can't Post

but srsly guys someone stop her. Mad

(( Wink just kidding))

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 11:42pm

Post #89 of 293 (5879 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to wait to see the movie before deciding. There's way too little information on which I can base an opinion anyway.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 11:43pm

Post #90 of 293 (5880 views)
Shortcut
Legolas romance means no romance since he doesn`t mention her in LOTR, nobody does [In reply to] Can't Post

So I`m thinking that if she has hots for him that`s totally unrequited and obviously unimportant to him since he`s lucky-go-happy in LOTR.

Or she is really in love with Thranduil and marries him at the end. Either way, boring. Her romance with Kili sounds better, IMO, at least because of the height difference.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 11:45pm

Post #91 of 293 (5920 views)
Shortcut
Lilly says the romance isn`t a big plot so it won`t be a big padding [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like Tauriel is in love with Legolas and that motivates her to go on ruthless killing rampages and attack people in the dark alleys and that`s it. Laugh

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 11:47pm

Post #92 of 293 (5892 views)
Shortcut
I`m the other way around, very disappointed with the generic video game look [In reply to] Can't Post

but don`t mind love story since she says it won`t be a big plot.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 11:47pm

Post #93 of 293 (5916 views)
Shortcut
Adaptational changes and effects arent comparable [In reply to] Can't Post

One is a trilogy of 2 hours and a half long movies, another has dozens of hours to fulfill an adaptation.

:)

Jacksons butchery and lack of respect for Tolkiens work with Azog Gorka Morka God of War villain, warg chases, Radagast, inept and juvenile humour, Tauriels telenovela, tiring popcorn and cartoony action scenes, Bard the Fugitive, video game inspired scenes, the lack of a compromised and constant sense that every shot and frame was carefully executed to cinematic exquisitiveness and splendour as it is expected when adapting a work of JRRTolkien etc...are far more disrespectfull to the book TH, than anything hbo has done to Martins work, imo.And with all those millions of dollars...sigh...

Especially when you consider that it is even more aggravating when you only have 2-3 hours tops of time to successfully adapt this work of fiction, rather than 7 or 8 seasons comprised of 10, one hour long episodes.

Martin went to HBO because they are the only ones who could do justice to his series , ie, not butching it by discarding half or more of the characters and turning it into another conventional hollywood yawn fest that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Which is what has happened with more than half of TH, sadly.

Christopher Tolkien despises jackson's films. Martin appreciates the show and thinks it is " a great adaptation of my work" . Go figure :p

The nude quota in the books is far more graphic and descriptive, believe me :p

Loras : yes he should be bulkier in the two or three short scenes hes appeared out of what already is a 30 hour long marathon.
Hardly a situation comparable to this Tauriel and Azog business...

Another thing that annoys me is the apparent levity and ease with which the writers do this and justify these decisions...even with claims that TH novel needs more female power and presence...as if we cant bare to watch a fairytale without any women.

Really dreading this tauriel business...Unsure More time wasted on invented fan fiction rather than Tolkiens words, characters and story.

Will be glad to say i actually appreciate her if that happens, but at this point i have no reason to be happy about this.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 5 2013, 11:54pm)

Jim
Rivendell

Jun 5 2013, 11:51pm

Post #94 of 293 (5902 views)
Shortcut
So it begins.... [In reply to] Can't Post

New photo released for Desolation of Smaug, seems a storm is brewing. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we got a few more pictures in lead up to the vlog and trailer.

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 6 2013, 12:00am

Post #95 of 293 (5886 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

I need a drink.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2013, 12:04am

Post #96 of 293 (5883 views)
Shortcut
There are three unstoppable forces in this universe: death, taxation and shippers. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be happier if she had no romance, but that's no option. Therefore I try to at least enjoy it. If it's completely intolerable, I'll try to ignore it.

And yes I'm a romantic softie. Hurr hurr. Evil

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jun 6 2013, 12:06am)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 6 2013, 12:05am

Post #97 of 293 (5895 views)
Shortcut
reactions are overwhelmingly negative everywhere due to cosplay look and archer chick overkill [In reply to] Can't Post

I`m quite disappointed that they went with this fad now that even Pixar jumped on the bandwaggon with Brave due to Hunger Games popularity. There`s Arya on Game of Thrones, Charlie on Revolution, everyone`s an archer now. Thanks Susan Collins but no thanks.

(This post was edited by Semper Fi on Jun 6 2013, 12:09am)

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 6 2013, 12:07am

Post #98 of 293 (5859 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with ya. I hope they give quite a bit of info during comic-con so I can start figuring out where I will come down after I see the movie.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 6 2013, 12:08am

Post #99 of 293 (5863 views)
Shortcut
They should`ve give us Aragorn and Arwen if they wanted romance [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn and Arwen were extremly popular with female fans of the movies who didn`t read books and therefore had no grudge against added material. Tauriel romance with whoever cannot possibly reach the larger-than-life majesty of A/A. When Arwen says "I choose a mortal life" in FOTR, that`s it. Nothing comes close. Nothing will.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2013, 12:10am

Post #100 of 293 (5862 views)
Shortcut
"why is Galadriel looking so much older" [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats not fair. Blanchett is great, but shes not that great Wink

Your reaction is almost the same as mine. I have waited all these years and now.........like a snowball rolling down the mountain, down down to Goblin Town!!

Cool

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 6 2013, 12:12am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.