New Tauriel Picture!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 3:30pm

Post #26 of 293 (6220 views)
Shortcut
euurrgggghhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

at least she carrys her arrows by her side in the correct manner. thats the only good thing i can get form that picture.

shell fit very well into the computer games.

this picture also emphasises her kick ass warrior appeal! does PJ not get elves in the slightest? has he not read the books for gods sake!!! hollywood wins again, sick of it, absolutely sick of it!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Jun 5 2013, 3:34pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 3:41pm

Post #27 of 293 (6229 views)
Shortcut
I can't tell either [In reply to] Can't Post

Confession time; I haven't yet seen it on DVD (been waiting for the EE), so my opinion may yet change upon further viewings. I saw it twice in the theater, and on the first viewing the only thing that prevented me from walking out was that I was accompanied by a friend. The second viewing was much better, and I enjoyed the film. In general it's a very bipolar movie. The majority of it I like (The Dwarves! Bilbo! History! The White Council!), but there are also elements I'd rather skip. The most goofiest parts didn't set well with my Tolkienian tastes, and the pacing was badly off - I noticed at one point I was bored. Bored. While watching Middle-Earth. When I first watched FotR I was so enthralled by it I couldn't believe it when it ended. At the end of the first viewing a man who had sat next to me said "what a useless movie", which really hurt me of course, but I couldn't really deny it; it did feel like watching a glorified episode of some TV show.

Based on that I do have fears for the next two films, but they're eased by the hope that those particular elements won't be present with DOS and TAB. The story is getting darker, so perhaps PJ tones down the humor, and the events are getting more intense, so it'll feel less stretched out.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 3:52pm

Post #28 of 293 (6172 views)
Shortcut
Tiny females being as strong as big guys is one very tired cliché... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like my action girls, but they need to be realistic about it and acknowledge she has lesser body mass and less muscles than the guys. Mere GIRL POWAHHHH does't make up for that, she needs to take the Weak But Skilled route.

This btw bothers me about Éowyn vs Witch-King in RotK. PJ could have found a way to incorporate the magical anti-Nazgûl qualities of Merry's blade, but chose to not to. Now the technical reason for their success is left unexplained, and it looks as if they won either because of semantics (we're no Men!) or because of some Aesop about the least coming first. While the Witch-King did get arrogant because of those exact semantics and it amounted to him not paying attention to Merry, he wouldn't have needed to pay attention to Merry had Merry not happened to have that damn blade. And the weak couldn't have triumphed over the powerful had they not had the weapon suited for killing him. This rant is perhaps useless, but the plot should happen because of in-universe causal relationships, not because the author forces the events into some predestined moment that suits his tastes.

Heh, straight into the ranting mode....

And it's good to see you too!

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jun 5 2013, 3:55pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 3:53pm

Post #29 of 293 (6179 views)
Shortcut
I'm basically the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I've only seen it once. Maybe my second viewing will be better (like I've heard from you and imin, as well as others). I've finally caved and am going to borrow it from my girlfriend and watch it sometime soon. Like you, I've been waiting for the EE, but I've finally decided I want to see the brilliant bits again (the unexpected party).

I found myself getting bored in the theater, too. But I'm also hoping for the next two to be better. Hopefully the pacing is tighter and less drawn out.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 3:58pm

Post #30 of 293 (6189 views)
Shortcut
F, if you like that lighter but skilled approach... [In reply to] Can't Post

...then check out her moves in the video clip, especially the spin...it looks like she pulls her bow out of thin air. And that's Evangeline herself, not a stunt double!

Tauriel_Vid

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 3:58pm

Post #31 of 293 (6127 views)
Shortcut
Nice comparison to the Dwarven characterizations [In reply to] Can't Post

How much did we get to see them in the final film? When Bombur gets a line he might have a chance to tell the audiences about his lovely wife. Now all we know of him is visual storytelling.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 4:02pm

Post #32 of 293 (6109 views)
Shortcut
Her movements are such a joy to watch.... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 4:04pm

Post #33 of 293 (6105 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't seen any of that in video - just a few screencaps. I'm convinced, if nothing else, that Evangeline will make a perfect elf. Whether or not I end up liking her story, I don't think it'll have anything to do with Evangeline or her acting.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 5 2013, 4:17pm

Post #34 of 293 (6123 views)
Shortcut
As for 'promoting' Tauriel.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think maybe they're bringing her forward now so people get used to the idea of her.

Lindele
Gondor

Jun 5 2013, 4:20pm

Post #35 of 293 (6151 views)
Shortcut
Does no one [In reply to] Can't Post

understand the concept of marketability?
Do you want to see these films made? If so, stop complaining so much. If not, why are you on here?

Do you have $500 million in your pocket to fund these films? Does PJ? No. These films have to be made for the masses. That is how this business works. Peter, Fran and Phillipa do the absolute best they can to balance respect for Tolkien's work and marketability. No one seems to get that here.

MOVIES AREN'T THE SAME AS BOOKS

imin
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 4:24pm

Post #36 of 293 (6098 views)
Shortcut
PJ probably has enough for most of the budget :P [In reply to] Can't Post

But are you saying this film would not be marketable without the character Tauriel?

Surely AUJ has already proved it was marketable without an added female character.

I agree though, by adding her they make the film more marketable - can increase revenue through toys and things.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 4:28pm

Post #37 of 293 (6078 views)
Shortcut
People often think they're in the minority when they're not [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the silence which causes this misinterpretation. If you bravely (and politely) voice out your opinons others of your kind will also be encouraged and will feel less like they're being pushed into the corner.

And as I said above, I have very mixed feelings about AUJ. That's no reason to not to discuss it, as long as what you say is constructive.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jun 5 2013, 4:29pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 4:30pm

Post #38 of 293 (6055 views)
Shortcut
And it shall be renamed "The Battle of Six Armies" // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele
Gondor

Jun 5 2013, 4:33pm

Post #39 of 293 (6078 views)
Shortcut
PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

can't fund these films on his own.
I'm not saying DoS is not marketable without Tauriel, I'm saying that the filmmakers made decisions (not lightly I'm sure) to make the film more marketable...and no they will not be exactly the same as the books.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 4:36pm

Post #40 of 293 (6100 views)
Shortcut
perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

.... she's in love with her bow. : ) in love with her work, being very kick-ass and very fierce. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 4:38pm

Post #41 of 293 (6117 views)
Shortcut
so agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

females do +not+ need romance plot lines to make them interesting or integrate them into the story.

in spades.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 4:59pm

Post #42 of 293 (6051 views)
Shortcut
arrghh pt2 [In reply to] Can't Post

the more i look at this picture and read the interview, the more i die inside.

its effing peter pan!! there gonna treat her character like a lovestruck tomboy, she is meant to be 900 not 19! ffs

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

R11
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 5:18pm

Post #43 of 293 (6022 views)
Shortcut
It's nice [In reply to] Can't Post

To see people finally admit that these films are nothing but giant commercial sell outs.

ron

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 5:26pm

Post #44 of 293 (6064 views)
Shortcut
I heard [In reply to] Can't Post

George Martin received offers from hollywood to turn his series into movies, by choosing one or two main characters, and forget the rest, you know make it MORE MARKETABALE!

I believe mos of us are here because we love Tolkiens work.

As to the OP :

"But I think if anyone knows how to respect Tolkien, it’s Peter, Fran and Phil"

Says the actress playing the Xena,kick ass "ill give you death" not in TH novel, character...Crazy

But shes on the payroll, so thats expected that she supports this.

The image is too Xena, action hero, female toy, video game inspired for my taste. Her features and clothing are fine. Like her bow and arrows. Though whats with the lipstick?

So were going to have a little soap opera in Middle Earth now? Will Legolas become tired of daddys little flirts with his childhood friend ...and turn against him , by favouring the dwarves?

Next, on Elven Lifes!

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 5 2013, 5:36pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 5:35pm

Post #45 of 293 (6045 views)
Shortcut
"I noticed at one point I was bored. Bored. While watching Middle-Earth." [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, same here.

At the Troll fight i start getting sleepy...and then i wake up a little and stay in half asleep half awake mode during the gollum scene...fall asleep again...when the eagles rescue the dwarves and start flying away i wake up.

Just in time for hot chocolate, the hobbit novel and my cozy bed.Wink

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 5:38pm

Post #46 of 293 (6018 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I laughed a little [In reply to] Can't Post

"....if anyone knows how to respect Tolkien, it’s Peter, Fran and Phil. And Tauriel fits perfectly in that world.”

I have defended PJ and the decisions he makes sometimes but I am not deluded enough to know that making Azog a seriously large role is not too "respectful". Then there is this love story crap and FEMALEEEEE POWERRRRRR. Is Smaug secretly a chick now too? Maybe him and Bard will fly off into the distance while he strokes her horns! Errrrrm I thought this was Middle Earth and not Twilight which was the epitome of crappy movie making. I'm sure all the young girls will want to be just like Tauriel when they grow up! I know I do!....... Crazy

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 6:01pm

Post #47 of 293 (5959 views)
Shortcut
" Is Smaug secretly a chick now too?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Well, nothing wrong with secretly wishing to be like ELilly when you grow up, but Tauriel Tongue

This was inevitable i fear...if jackson intended to just give a bigger role to the elven guards or something he would not have hired a star-actress like Lilly...

Who knows where this is going... my bet...legolas and her fighting side by side in full Karate Kid mode at the battle of the five armies...ending it with an excrutiatingly melodramatic death scene.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 6:02pm

Post #48 of 293 (5981 views)
Shortcut
My first thought was cosplay [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to wait to place judgement on the character until I see the movie, but I can't deny I would rather have them spend time on characters that is in the book. I would hate to see Tauriel taking off much time from Thranduil and Bard who I'm both very curious about. In this case probably Thranduil. I want to see more of Thrandy than we get in the book.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 6:07pm

Post #49 of 293 (5977 views)
Shortcut
Don't like her look at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no problem with an invented female elf, it all depends on how they execute it. And as far as her look goes, i don't like it at all. Looks cheap, as if it would be fanmade. Obviously it's not a movie still so i hope with the right coloring and lighting it looks better. But... do i see that right, she's wearing lipstick? Really?!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 5 2013, 6:13pm

Post #50 of 293 (5971 views)
Shortcut
About the lipstick... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember that promo photo of Eowyn in armour where she's wearing make-up and looks far more glamorous than she ever does in the film? Hopefully something similar is going on here.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.