Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Tauriel Picture!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

IncredibleSmaug
The Shire

Jun 5 2013, 2:34pm

Post #1 of 293 (17838 views)
Shortcut
New Tauriel Picture! Can't Post

http://img2.timeinc.net/...f-Smaug_1224x760.jpg

http://insidemovies.ew.com/...desolation-of-smaug/

“She will definitely have a love story,” Lilly says."

(This post was edited by IncredibleSmaug on Jun 5 2013, 2:38pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 5 2013, 2:37pm

Post #2 of 293 (2024 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

I sense that 'love story' section is about to open a whole new can of worms. It's an angle which will undoubtedly struggle to warrant people's care. Her introduction is by far my biggest fear with the next two films. I just can't see a scenario where her character or plotlines won't grate on me. She's a warrior and now has a love story. I thought we were going to either get one or the other? Crazy

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jun 5 2013, 2:42pm)

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jun 5 2013, 2:44pm

Post #3 of 293 (1878 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Not too sure about this. abviously this is a photo by EW, not a still from the movie, so the colorgrading is different. I assume she'll look less like a female Erroll Flynn's Robin Hood in the movie. Her bow is made out of metal, which is a bit odd for an elf, and it's much smaller than the usual long bow. Seems more like something the dwarves would use. But the design is good. I'm not sure about the arrow-tip, though. Doesn't look effective at all.

I'm not sure I like the whole idea of her having a love story. Not with Legolas, which, although teased in this interview, was already denied by PJ himself, if I remember correctly. But with who else? Fili or Kili? That would just be weird, I don't see that working at all. I like Evangeline Lilly as an actress, but I'm getting less sure about this character by the day. :S

Jay236
The Shire

Jun 5 2013, 2:49pm

Post #4 of 293 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Making Tauriel fall in love is too far [In reply to] Can't Post

This is becoming less and less like Tolkien. I do think Peter Jackson is a genius and I love all his work but LOTR and the Hobbit is what it is because it teaches us that you don't have to marry or fall in love be successful or to be happy and life shouldn't be about hunting for that one special person all your life and adding a female elf who isn't in the book is ok but making her fall in love? Who would she fall in love with? Bilbo? One of the dwarves? Legolas? I don't think she should because that would just change the whole story.

If more people valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, the world would indeed be a merrier place.

(This post was edited by Jay236 on Jun 5 2013, 2:50pm)

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 2:52pm

Post #5 of 293 (1856 views)
Shortcut
Interesting reveals [In reply to] Can't Post

From what she says it could smell of an "arranged marriage" planed by Thranduil, between Legolas and Tauriel. Possibly one of them will not like this idea since they've been friends since childhood.

Atleast I could see this work in a way. No Elf-Dwarf romance please, it would ruin Gimlis character aswell.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 2:53pm

Post #6 of 293 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Every time... [In reply to] Can't Post

we get new information about this character it seems more and more like it's not going to please a lot of fans. The actress even says that in the interview. Why in God's name create this character if people aren't going to like it? It reminds me of Jar Jar Binks too much (antagonizing fans by shoehorning in a character that doesn't need to be there).

Yeah, yeah, "We haven't seen the movie yet, you can't judge!" I know.

I guess I'm just a big grump who can't be pleased, but I don't know if I can support these films anymore. Unsure

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 2:59pm

Post #7 of 293 (1801 views)
Shortcut
High definition at last! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe I missed one..Crazy

Anyway, I'm glad to see such a clear picture of our controversial elf-maid. I think she looks good, and Lilly is very pretty. I like the hair color they went with, too. I'm happy that she doesn't seem like a retread of any of the other ladies in Middle-earth that we've seen so far.

Story-wise I'm not sure what to think. For some reason, I'm just still not concerned (which, given my purist tendencies, I'd think I would be).

Since we're getting such a good image of her now, hopefully we'll see her in the upcoming trailer as well!

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 3:02pm

Post #8 of 293 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Arranged marriage angle [In reply to] Can't Post

I could be satisfied with that.

What I wouldn't like is the rumoured Kili-Tauriel romance.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 3:03pm

Post #9 of 293 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Look closer [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Her bow is made out of metal, which is a bit odd for an elf, and it's much smaller than the usual long bow. Seems more like something the dwarves would use. But the design is good. I'm not sure about the arrow-tip, though. Doesn't look effective at all.

The bow is definitely not made out of metal. Though it is not a longbow, it is absolutely not small either, so I wouldn't compare it to a dwarven bow. Wink

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 3:04pm

Post #10 of 293 (1760 views)
Shortcut
It's not big focus? Then no problem. Bring in Middle-Earth femmes! [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, thus far I'm enjoying what I see. A non-aristocrat female; that's the sort of character Middle-Earth needs more. If she doesn't change the plot, but only adds a modestly sized subplot into the mids of the actual main plot I'm all okay. Possible further changes will be judged when they appear.

Also, as someone who actually enjoys shipping and fanfiction, it's nice to have a new girl in the mix. Sue me.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 3:07pm

Post #11 of 293 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Nobody liked Jar Jar Binks because Jar Jar Binks was an awful racist character [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people are going to hate Tauriel because she wasn't in the book. Those people are also going to be the vocal minority. I assume the great majority of everyone anywhere who's going to see the movie will mostly like her.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 3:08pm

Post #12 of 293 (1808 views)
Shortcut
If Tauriel is the biggest problem with the two remaining movies, I praise the heavens// [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 3:12pm

Post #13 of 293 (1842 views)
Shortcut
It is bothersome that a female character apparently automatically needs a love story [In reply to] Can't Post

Her simply being a kickass girl would have been enough. But if it really is only a small focus, it can't be anything too big and melodramatic. If it stays at the level of secret glances etc it might be really enjoyable, even.

In LotR PJ left the romance parts to Philippa and Fran, and IMHO they did very good job keeping it tasteful. So let's not abandon courage!

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jun 5 2013, 3:14pm)

imin
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 3:15pm

Post #14 of 293 (1758 views)
Shortcut
It is also possible [In reply to] Can't Post

That Tauriel will just be a bad character and people dislike her for that reason - not just because the character is made up.

Though obviously we won't know until we watch the film.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jun 5 2013, 3:20pm

Post #15 of 293 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Interpretation [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I've been a huge Tauriel supporter from Day One, so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but I really think that people shouldn't interpret this "love story" quote in a literal way (e.g. romances, "arranged marriages" and such). From reading the whole article, it suggests that she simply has some star-crossed feelings for Legolas, and knows that it's impossible (him being a prince and a higher elf), but that she does try to impress him, which will motivate some of her actions- like going after the orcs that invade Mirkwood. This would also be a mirror image of Kili's star-crossed attraction to her-- he knows that it would be impossible as well. Thus I think the films won't really have any "romance" as such; only hints of feelings that drive the characters' actions.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 5 2013, 3:21pm

Post #16 of 293 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Bomby would Love it..if She [In reply to] Can't Post

shows up at the Bot5A-zzzz
with a whole Brigade
Of KickAss female Archers
as BadASS as those
Boyzz!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 3:21pm

Post #17 of 293 (1792 views)
Shortcut
I can't tell.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If that means you did or did not like AUJ. Care to share your thoughts?

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2013, 3:22pm

Post #18 of 293 (1741 views)
Shortcut
It is guaranteed she will be hated by certain demographics. Whether she will [In reply to] Can't Post

be hated by many other demographics - or even all - is still up in the air. I took that to be the point of what she said. She knows she will get hate, no matter what.

But from what we've seen thus far she doesn't look like the kind of character who'd be hated by the general audiences. People usually like action girls if they really can keep up with the guys. Females who get hate from the general audience are those who rely on the male characters and need to be saved all the time.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jun 5 2013, 3:22pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 3:23pm

Post #19 of 293 (1771 views)
Shortcut
Ugh, what a turn-off. [In reply to] Can't Post

The filmmakers are determined to force this character into a story it just does not belong in. This is The Hobbit, not a vampire or Xena film with plastic-looking Hollywood actresses! I've a feeling I will rapidly go off the next film – in fact I may postpone going to see it until there is feedback.

And they are still promoting 'Tauriel' above all the other characters that ARE in the book.

In Reply To
[ “She will definitely have a love story,” Lilly says."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 3:24pm

Post #20 of 293 (1702 views)
Shortcut
This would be good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I wouldn't want too much unrequited love pining going on.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 3:25pm

Post #21 of 293 (1717 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I wasn't sold on Tauriel but this article seems to indicate that her story hasn't been made into a big part of the plot. Her love story hint sounds a lot like the small scenes of characterization we get for some of our dwarven characters explaining their motivations for joining Thorin's quest. If this love story serves to explain her character's actions then I see no problem with it. We already know from a much earlier source that she isn't romantically involved with Legolas, and the Kili thing is a joke, so I'm assuming it will be a very minor thing.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 3:25pm

Post #22 of 293 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Young children liked Jar Jar... [In reply to] Can't Post

because he was "funny," and Lucas was adamant about including the character. He was making films for children, not the die-hard Star Wars fans. (A film about taxation, trade disputes, and galactic politics? Ya know, for kids!)

Well, now I'll join the silent minority and shut up about this. You all can enjoy the film, and whether or not I see it is my business. There's no point in talking about these things anyway because they're all beyond our control.

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jun 5 2013, 3:28pm

Post #23 of 293 (1661 views)
Shortcut
I'm all for it [In reply to] Can't Post

This seems like the most plausible and least objectionable interpretation I've seen. Hopefully this will be how it all turns out.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 3:29pm

Post #24 of 293 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the look.

Gorgeous.

Very fitting to the world imho.

Not sold on the love-story... I rather have her story be focused on the warrior aspect and her making/repeating Glorfindel's prophecy on the Witch-King.

But I also think it will be an underlying thing that will give her some depth without actually having a huge love story. I totally respect her approach to the character as well... she is aware of the issue but is sticking to her character, as do and should the writers. Evengaline sure has some experience with harsh fan reactions to a character... but she pulls it off imho because of pretty great acting skills.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 5 2013, 3:33pm)

imin
Valinor

Jun 5 2013, 3:30pm

Post #25 of 293 (1684 views)
Shortcut
I think there a a bit of a backlash in some quarters [In reply to] Can't Post

From the skinny chick who can some how fight 250lb 6'5'' trained men - yet with one kick, kills them. I know for one, i am getting tired of it - just is not realistic.

As she is an elf though she should be just about as strong as most male elves. And even though female elves normally stayed away from fighting as they preferred to be healers, im sure there were the odd one or two who wanted to fight so in that respect im not bothered about Tauriel (unlike lil women in other movies).

Like you i think there will be other things in the film which will be way worse than Tauriel ever could be.

My main issue is i don't really think she is needed at all, there are many characters in the story already and yet they felt the need to develop a made up one.

I think some will hate her as she is made up, some will hate her as she is a woman, others will just think she is a rubbish character, others because she takes time away from Bilbo and the Company.

I think you are right though the average moviegoer who hasn't read the books will probably not be bothered by her - i just hope they don't give her too much screen time as honestly im not interested in watching her, i wanna watch The hobbit, lol.

Hopefully she will be decent though for what we see of her.

Oh and nice to see you (and your avatar, haha) back Smile

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.