Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Radagast and the Istaris' mission

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

May 29 2013, 3:06am

Post #1 of 12 (272 views)
Shortcut
Radagast and the Istaris' mission Can't Post

I bet this has been debated before but I haven't seen it yet.

I am growing to like the movie Radagast, but...

Radagast's role in The Hobbit movie was fully fabricated. He never appeared in the book.

He only appeared in the LotR books once to tell Gandalf to go see Saruman. The only action he took to oppose Sauron was to obey Gandalf's request to have the birds report news to Saruman. And that ended up helping the enemy more than opposing (although not Radagast's fault -- it was Gandalf's).

Rhosgobel may have bordered Mirkwood, but there is no indication from Tolkien that Radagast ever tried to restore Greenwood the Great to health or oppose Sauron or the Necromancer at all. As far as I can remember, it was just named as a former residence for the mostly nomadic, wandering Radagast.

So my question is, as an Istari, whose mission from the Valar was to indirectly oppose the workings of Sauron and his influence on Men and Elves, wasn't Radagast derelict in his duty to the Valar?

While I hope he did great deeds against Sauron in the War in the North or against Dol Guldur that went unrecorded, I fear that he actually deserted the Valar and abandoned his mission.

I doubt if he ever returned West to Valinor, partly for love of Middle-Earth, but also out of fear of the Valar whose orders he ignored.

Thoughts?

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

May 29 2013, 8:00am

Post #2 of 12 (159 views)
Shortcut
He helped the animals [In reply to] Can't Post

I never got the impression that Radagast abandoned his duties to the Valar. He simply had a different focus than the other Istari. Since he had been chosen by Yavanna, Radagast focused on nature and animals, while the other Wizards focused on the peoples of Middle-earth. There were a number of animal species that were corrupted by Sauron -- bats, spiders, wolves, wargs, crebain, fell beasts, etc. Radagast's job was to ensure that other creatures did not fall under the Dark Lord's sway. How important that was to the downfall of Sauron is debatable. But I don't think it's fair to say Radagast failed. He just went about his duties in a different way.

dik-dik
Lorien

May 29 2013, 10:01am

Post #3 of 12 (148 views)
Shortcut
re: Radagast's failure [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So my question is, as an Istari, whose mission from the Valar was to indirectly oppose the workings of Sauron and his influence on Men and Elves, wasn't Radagast derelict in his duty to the Valar?
While I hope he did great deeds against Sauron in the War in the North or against Dol Guldur that went unrecorded, I fear that he actually deserted the Valar and abandoned his mission.

I'm inclined to agree. JRRT notes that "of all the Istari, one only remained faithful" while Radagast "forsook Elves and Men". That signifies to me that his original task was the same as that of the other Istari, and his shift of focus meant he failed his task.
But I also like the idea that his care for birds and beasts was signifiant in the sense that fewer of those were apt to fall under Sauron's influence. His familiarity with the Beornings could also have contributed to Beorn being readier to accomodate the company.

In Reply To
I doubt if he ever returned West to Valinor, partly for love of Middle-Earth, but also out of fear of the Valar whose orders he ignored. Thoughts?

I don't know, I think it said somewhere that the Istari belonged to the Third Age only, and then disappeared. So perhaps he did return after all? I'm sure Yavanna would put in a kind word for him. Tongue

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Darkstone
Immortal

May 29 2013, 2:17pm

Post #4 of 12 (146 views)
Shortcut
Became a god [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.waymarking.com/...arks/WM7Y17_RADEGAST

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

dik-dik
Lorien

May 29 2013, 2:31pm

Post #5 of 12 (133 views)
Shortcut
lol. [In reply to] Can't Post

But you know what, the geography wouldn't be that far off. Tongue If Gondor is vaguely Italy, and the Shire stands for the UK, the areas around Mirkwood would just be the right location. ^ ^

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 29 2013, 3:39pm

Post #6 of 12 (128 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone, Melon-Helm! [In reply to] Can't Post

One one link to The Riddle
of where JRRT got his Names!
Bomby

malickfan
Gondor

May 29 2013, 9:10pm

Post #7 of 12 (118 views)
Shortcut
If you ever get a chance read The History of The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite radagast being mentioned in a single line in the book of the hobbit John Rateliffe goes into extensive detail on the character (A 13 page essay if my memory is correct), analysing and exploring his role in Tolkien's mythology, origins of the name Radagast, and his possible fate, it's pretty in depth for such a minor character (and a very useful reference point) and very interesting reading (The History of The Hobbit is worth reading just for Rateliffe's commentary)

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

dreamflower
Lorien

May 30 2013, 2:10am

Post #8 of 12 (82 views)
Shortcut
Co-inky-dink [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kind of funny that I see this thread tonight after just completing an AU in which it's Radagast who sees to the destruction of the One instead of Gandalf--and done in a thoroughly Radagast-y way.

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 30 2013, 3:28pm

Post #9 of 12 (84 views)
Shortcut
Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction in the way Radagast is presented - on the one hand he has "failed" by not focussing on Men and Elves, on the other, he was sent by Yavanna, as you say, which suggests that she at least would expect him to focus on trees, animals etc instead.

My own private Radagast myth is that Yavanna and Radagast knew exactly what they were doing. Radagast spends long centuries learning about plants and animals, what they need and the way they interact with each other. He doesn't leave with the other Istari but stays behind until (as Yavanna anticipated) Men start really fouling up Nature with their industry and pollution a la Saruman, and Radagast's wisdom is desperately needed... In fact, he is still here! - and helping everyone who is working to help plants, animals and ecosystems survive, and trying to educate humans in how to live alongside them without destroying them.

elaen32
Gondor

May 30 2013, 10:15pm

Post #10 of 12 (59 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast is the original "Green Man" or "Jack in the Green", who stares out from the foliage in so many places?

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 30 2013, 11:59pm

Post #11 of 12 (53 views)
Shortcut
Green Man [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great idea!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 31 2013, 7:19pm

Post #12 of 12 (52 views)
Shortcut
There was a thought that I'd mentioned before... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Radagast laid low for a couple of ages and then resurfaced using the name Merlin.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.