Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Twin movies?

Agrippa

Dec 21 2007, 5:24pm

Post #1 of 21 (2792 views)
Shortcut
Twin movies? Can't Post

Hi, my title say it all, and rest assure, I am certain we have posts of this before mine and I did use the search posts-option, and searched for:

2 movies
twin movies
double featurette

and did not find anything related to my question. Also I tried to find a FAQ concerning the Hobbit but found only LOTR-FAQ. I am also aware that probably there is a FAQ somewhere concerning the Hobbit. I still post this because maybe this forum is new, and the search function is not working properly yet, since my account had dissapeared and I prolly made 1000+ posts before this.

So... I can't really understand how they can squeeze 2 movies out of the Hobbit. What is the news?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 21 2007, 5:29pm

Post #2 of 21 (1431 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit and "a sequel" [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of us believe that the Hobbit will be contained in one movie and that the second movie will serve as a "bridge" between The Hobbit and LotR. This would include information mined from LotR's appendices. But, we aren't entirely sure and there haven't been any more details since the original announcement.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Agrippa

Dec 21 2007, 5:44pm

Post #3 of 21 (1409 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you TORnsibs think about this bridge movie then? I have been away for a long time... I cant even remember any bridging material =(
Wish I found the main thread for this, bet it is huge! BTW, where is Nimrodel, I miss my fav antagonist =))

tossingthedwarf
The Shire

Dec 21 2007, 6:45pm

Post #4 of 21 (1389 views)
Shortcut
two movies [In reply to] Can't Post

has to be darker than the books--cut out the whimsey children stuff or it won't fit with the LOTR. Reduced dwarf entourage(it pains me to say)
Movie one trolls, orc battle, gollum up the appearance of Smaug--subtext white council and Dol Guldur.
Movie two demise of Smaug, gollum following ? massive battle of 5 armies, Gandalfs return from mirkwood, Saruman at Orthanc with Palantir, return home

could weave in Legolas superhero moment, shapeshifting Beorn etc

Dwarf army---lots and lots of dwarves--
What about the assistant directors on LOTR !!!!
and oscar for best dwarf is.....................

at last a film with dwarves

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 21 2007, 7:34pm

Post #5 of 21 (1370 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit, as a film, will omit things from the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is to say, almost any novel-length book has more than enough content for several feature-length films. Think about all that was cut from the LotR films, which were long features.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 21 2007, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 21 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf returns before the Battle of Five Armies starts. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least one day before, in fact, and alerts the disputing elves, men and dwarves of their peril.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 21 2007, 7:53pm

Post #7 of 21 (1379 views)
Shortcut
We think it's high-class fan-fic, [In reply to] Can't Post

but most of us are looking forward to it ;-)

There's actually quite a lot of potential "bridge" material in the Appendices, notably the background on the Aragorn/Arwen romance and some other historical background.

Unfortunately, we haven't heard from Nimrodel in quite a while.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

srethman

Dec 21 2007, 8:36pm

Post #8 of 21 (1359 views)
Shortcut
additional material [In reply to] Can't Post

There is also appendix material about what was happening before the dwarves showed up at Bag's End. (why Gandalf chose Bilbo, etc.)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 21 2007, 10:06pm

Post #9 of 21 (1353 views)
Shortcut
One and a half paragraphs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are long paragraphs, but: in the LotR appendices, there are just 1,000 words that look at the Hobbit story from the "Quest of Erebor" point-of-view of Gandalf's deeper plans concerning Bilbo.

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 22 2007, 1:01am

Post #10 of 21 (1340 views)
Shortcut
They may also flesh out when Gandalf re-entered Dol Guldur. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just see Ian lurking around the Necromancer’s dungeon, finding Thrain, getting the key and the map from him. Then the big council meeting with Galadriel wanting Gandalf to be the head of the order and Saruman persuading them that all is well.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2007, 1:27pm

Post #11 of 21 (1293 views)
Shortcut
That'd make a good flashback during the Unexpected Party./ [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to go to work today,
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 22 2007, 5:23pm

Post #12 of 21 (1286 views)
Shortcut
the othe Party [In reply to] Can't Post

They can also go back to the Old Took's Midsummer Nights Eve Party (the prototype for Bilbo's Birthday).

As with the Birthday Party in Jackson's FOTR, they coyld compress things a bit having Gandalf meeting Bilbo just after or before commiserating with Thorin in Bree.

Ranger of Dunland

Dec 23 2007, 2:15am

Post #13 of 21 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Losing Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, if the second film is a bridge to LotR, then it seems we would lose the talents of Christopher Lee as Saruman.

Signed,
Ranger of Dunland

stormcrow20
Gondor

Dec 23 2007, 4:53am

Post #14 of 21 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Why do you say that? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are events involving Saruman and the White Council that occur in the years between Bilbo's quest and the War of the Ring. How would the second film being a "bridge" story cause us to lose the talents of Mr. Lee?

Behold the magic of the Holiday Season!

Before: After:

Ranger of Dunland

Dec 23 2007, 7:39pm

Post #15 of 21 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't clear [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't specific. What I mean is that then we would require the character of Saruman, and I doubt if Lee at age 86 (the age he would be if they started next summer) would be interested in doing a movie. People retire. Sean Connery is around 77, and he's retired.

Signed,
Ranger of Dunland

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 24 2007, 3:50am

Post #16 of 21 (1260 views)
Shortcut
It's not just his age. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's still making movies now, although 2 yrs hence, who knows?

But I believe he's still not forgiven Peter for cutting his scene from RotK. He cared a great deal about it, it's clear from his commentary. The fact that Sean Bean got a SAG award (part of the "ensemble" award for RotK) for a 3-second non-speaking appearance and he missed out must have rankled, too, but his devotion to the story would have been the main source of hurt.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2007, 10:24am

Post #17 of 21 (1239 views)
Shortcut
I remember an interview with Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

where he said he wasn't going to go to the other side of the world any more to make a film, that he was just too hold to travel that far. He didn't say he wasn't going to make more movies, but that he wasn't going to travel so far.

HunkirDowne

Dec 26 2007, 2:11am

Post #18 of 21 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Fleshing out Gandalf? What about fleshing out Middle Earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the second "hobbit" movie could be a prequel to The Hobbit -- a prequel to the prequel, as it were. Couldn't an adaptation of The Silmarillion (or perhaps the newly released book, The Children of Húrin) be used as a bridge between Creation and The Hobbit?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 26 2007, 2:24am

Post #19 of 21 (1211 views)
Shortcut
MGM and New Line do not have rights to the Sil and Children of Hurin. [In reply to] Can't Post

JRRT sold movie rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings only, so the additional movie can only be made from materials in those two books. However, there is some material available in the LOTR Appendices that could be mined for the second movie.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 26 2007, 3:11am

Post #20 of 21 (1219 views)
Shortcut
What I meant by fleshed out is........ [In reply to] Can't Post

There is not much detail about Gandalf’s visit to Dol Guldur. Therefore if this is in the move, and it will need to be if this is primarily about the ring. The screenwriter(s) will have to use their own imagination and not the written words of Tolkien.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2007, 5:28am

Post #21 of 21 (2273 views)
Shortcut
An extended 2 movie Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I differ with Arwen's daughter there. I believe, there will be a single story divided in two movies, using extended material from the White Council and Gollum story.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.