The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Legolas In The Hobbit

Gurtholfin
Bree

Dec 21 2007, 3:51pm

Post #1 of 14 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Legolas In The Hobbit Can't Post

Maybe this has been brought up before, but Legolas would have been essentially the same as we see him in LOTR as he would have been during the time of the Hobbit. I realize that he's not mentioned in the book, but if I were in charge he'd definitely make at least a brief appearance in the movie(s).

I assume that they will show some of the White Council's attack on Dol Guldur, maybe some of the Dwarf and Goblin war.....should be great if the new director doesn't mess it up. Can't hardly wait!

merklynn
Lorien

Dec 21 2007, 3:58pm

Post #2 of 14 (996 views)
Shortcut
Legolas cameo [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Legolas' father is the king of the elves who capture Bilbo and his party, I don't see why Legolas couldn't make a cameo. At least it wouldn't be forced, given that the Silvan elves are his people.

So long as its just a cameo, and not some sort of ninja elf Smaug take down (in place of Bard and his arrow), then I'd be fine with it. Couldn't stand how ultimate they made him.

Gurtholfin
Bree

Dec 21 2007, 4:03pm

Post #3 of 14 (981 views)
Shortcut
Reply [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that he shouldn't take on a big role. I just think that he could be shown at some point in Mirkwood. I don't even think that he should be at the Battle of Five Armies as he'd probably be left home in command while his father was away.

I'm not in any way suggesting that the story should be substantially changed to include Legolas. I just think that for continuity, it would be great to at least mention him.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 21 2007, 5:05pm

Post #4 of 14 (965 views)
Shortcut
I'd bet Orli would be fine with that... [In reply to] Can't Post

he seems to have loved his LotR experience, but it's not as if he needed the work now--he's in demand. A cameo would probably suit him just fine.

For Gondor!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 21 2007, 5:19pm

Post #5 of 14 (964 views)
Shortcut
I am against cameos for the LotR actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that cameos like this will only serve to draw my brain out of the movie. I don't want to have that "aha! Legolas" moment in the middle of an important scene (or any scene, really). I have no doubt that if it is handled with care, a cameo like this could work. I just would prefer it if they didn't try.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Patty
Immortal

Dec 21 2007, 5:33pm

Post #6 of 14 (948 views)
Shortcut
I can understand how you feel, Arwen's daughter... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate things that draw me out of a movie. For me, in RotK it was Elrond saying "Arwen is dying." No moment in all the trilogy combined was such a "what the ?" moment as that.

And I would not like to see them put Merry and Pippin in either, cause they're not supposed to be there. Perhaps it might be okay in the bridging movie, if it tries to show Frodo growing up and coming to live with Bilbo when his parents drown. Merry and Pippin become his friends, so I guess that's okay. At this point, I'd love more Hobbiton, but only if the cameos aren't gratuitous.

Elrond certainly would be an okay fit, as well as Gandalf. It's logical to assume Legolas would be at his father's court, so I don't think that would bother me. I think the LotR actors could be in the bridging movie, but for the most part would be out of place in "The Hobbit".

For Gondor!

merklynn
Lorien

Dec 21 2007, 5:47pm

Post #7 of 14 (926 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit DVD Extras [In reply to] Can't Post

How about having the cameo available as an extra on a DVD instead then? That would be cool.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2007, 7:45pm

Post #8 of 14 (939 views)
Shortcut
If the director does do cameos, [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope he/she keeps them confidential so that viewers are surprised when they appear on screen. I just think that'd be a delightful surprise for the audience.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2007, 8:00pm

Post #9 of 14 (906 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

That kind of thing really underscores that you're watching a movie and pulls you out of your involvement. It's sort of self-congratulatory, like the movie is pointing out how clever it is. "See what we did? We managed to fit this actor in here!"

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

(This post was edited by Galadriel on Dec 21 2007, 8:01pm)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2007, 9:18pm

Post #10 of 14 (906 views)
Shortcut
A cameo or very, very small role only [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be against anything large- since Legolas was essentially in Mirkwood during the time, it would make sense for him to be there. But I would not want him stealing the show in any way whatsoever. No more than 5 minutes of him, if he must have a small role.

Elrond is in the Hobbit, so it would make sense for him to be there.

A cameo that I personally want to see is Estel (aka young Aragorn). A 10 year old Aragorn would be ridiculously adorable, and he also was in Rivendell.

I just don't want to see any forced cameos. For example, it would make no sense for any of the hobbits to be in it, since they weren't even born yet.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

tossingthedwarf
The Shire

Dec 21 2007, 10:40pm

Post #11 of 14 (896 views)
Shortcut
small parts [In reply to] Can't Post

all elves have small parts. People always ask why no dwarf women, why no elf children-ask yourself that!
Rant overMad

at last a film with dwarves

ChrisCR
The Shire

Dec 22 2007, 9:19am

Post #12 of 14 (860 views)
Shortcut
Cast! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the old cast sooooo much so I want them all...Not in the hobbit movie but in the second I think they all can fit in in some way...

Chris
www.cinemareplicas.com

NoctemArcanus
The Shire

Dec 22 2007, 4:09pm

Post #13 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut
Not so sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea of Legolas being there in mirkwood, however if elves are ageless, it would be a little weird to see that he looks a little older in the past. When Orlando did the lord of the rings he was in his early 20s, when they make the hobbit he'll be in his early 30s. If they can make him look as young as he was in Lord of the Rings, I am all for it!

I will not say "do not weep" for not all tears are an evil.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 22 2007, 8:30pm

Post #14 of 14 (896 views)
Shortcut
Don't elves gain grace as they age? [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm sure I've got it all wrong, but I thought Tolkien stated that while they did not age elves 'gained in grace' or some such (anyone know the quote?) I'm still against Legolas popping into The Hobbit, but I guess what I'm saying is that at least we can find some way to tie Bloom's age into Tolkien.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.