Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
where in the movie do you think new scenes will be added?

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 27 2013, 8:01am

Post #1 of 13 (1081 views)
Shortcut
where in the movie do you think new scenes will be added? Can't Post

Is anyone else dying to see the EE? It feels incomplete without it lol but it's fun to wonder what scenes will be added and where they'll fit in the movie.

the Hobbiton market scene where Bilbo buys a fish will obviously be placed right after Bilbo meeting Gandalf then watching him out his window.

Next I thought there could be a scene inserted after the first few epic adventure shots just before it cuts to Bombur inhaling some moths at the camp? seems like a good place for some early character development...

I wonder if the the new scenes with Bilbo exploring Rivendell and talking with Elrond will be before or after the dinner scene?

Last place I can think of for another new scene is when it cuts to the dwarves in goblin town after Gollum throws a rock at Bilbo and start chasing him. There must be more Goblin King material added there before he starts singing.

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 27 2013, 10:13am

Post #2 of 13 (551 views)
Shortcut
I am hoping to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the scene in the book, missing so far in the film, where Gandalf comes the next morning to "give [Uncle Bilbo] a little nudge out the door" of Bag End... The nudge is mentioned, as you all remember from the quote, in FotR when Gandy and Frodo riding in the cart are discussing G's standing among the Shire hobbits. But I have my doubts since Gandalf is riding with the Dwarf troupe when BB catches up to them... However, we saw some deletions of dialogue between G and F in the reshaping of their first meeting in FotR between the Theatrical and the Extended Editions... And the PJ Gandy seems to have some sort of ability to teleport, so to say. Remember how quickly and suddenly he shows up in Bag Eng when Bilbo reappears in Bag End after the Party taking off the Ring... And Gandalf being the final feather on the scales for Bilbo's wanderlust might explain the backpack being ready for BB as he races down the Hill. So who knows?!

Timothy Fisher alias "Timdalf"

Arannir
Valinor

May 27 2013, 10:21am

Post #3 of 13 (550 views)
Shortcut
My 2 cents: [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbiton Market: After Bilbo watching Gandalf through the window.

Young Bilbo: Probably during the end of the Party... maybe even during the morning after and Bilbo alone in Bagend.

Bilbo in Rivendell: Between the dinner and the Moon-Runes.

Dwarves in Rivendell / potentially song: Between Moon-Runes and White Council.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Slim
Rivendell

May 27 2013, 11:52am

Post #4 of 13 (471 views)
Shortcut
Yes please! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Next I thought there could be a scene inserted after the first few epic adventure shots just before it cuts to Bombur inhaling some moths at the camp? seems like a good place for some early character development...

I'd love any more character moments with the Dwarves -- they are fun to watch and I'd love an additional 30 seconds here and there littered throughout the movie so we'll get more of them!

I don't know if anyone's like me, but I feel that with the size of the cast, everyone is a bit under-utilized. I'm sure there are a lot more great footage out there!

LordotRings93
Rohan

May 27 2013, 1:57pm

Post #5 of 13 (444 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

By "a little nudge" I don't think he means a literal nudge now, more like convincing him to go on the adventure, which he did do the night before by explaining his Tookhood and how he'll "have a tale or two to tell".

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 27 2013, 2:02pm

Post #6 of 13 (414 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

But in the book Gandy does come back for BB the next morning... that is such an iconic scene, it should be done. That's all. What happens the night before is the nudge, what happens that morning is to see to it he is indeed "out the door"!

Timothy Fisher alias "Timdalf"

(This post was edited by Timdalf on May 27 2013, 2:04pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 27 2013, 3:43pm

Post #7 of 13 (383 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

there was a Thread a day ago about a possible kili-fili deleted scene in the shire, and now i dont know where it is...

I am hoping for Bilbo falling in love with Rivendell, the elves, etc...

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Oscarilbo
Lorien

May 27 2013, 3:55pm

Post #8 of 13 (348 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf was talking metaphorically not literally.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

moonrunes
The Shire

May 27 2013, 4:15pm

Post #9 of 13 (383 views)
Shortcut
One scene [In reply to] Can't Post

A long time ago, someone posted a sketch that Ori had done. It was of a dwarf against a tree, smoking. He had written something like: pipeweeed supplies are low, so is morale.
I hope there is a little scene where the company is resting, and Ori is drawing this picture, while saying the lines out loud.
If this does not happen, then I hope it occurs in Mirkwood.

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 27 2013, 9:29pm

Post #10 of 13 (298 views)
Shortcut
there's a picture of Thorin and Fili crouched behind a rock during the warg chase [In reply to] Can't Post

So hopefully there's some uncle and nephew moments added there.

vexx801
Rivendell

May 27 2013, 11:58pm

Post #11 of 13 (216 views)
Shortcut
Young Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

While your thought is entirely possible, I can't help but wonder if it'll be placed in the scene where Gandalf brings up Bullroarer Took. There's a part where Gandalf says something about "the world is not in your books and maps... it's out there." Then we get a shot of the window, and then it cuts to Bilbo saying "I can't just go running off, into the blue. I am a Baggins... of Bag-End."

Right there. Gandalf had just spoken about young Bilbo who used to wander off on adventures, and if it's in this scene, that's a great place to put it. Maybe. The difficulty in showing it here as a flashback is that it would also cut the flow of the scene, and I don't know how they'd make it flow.

Hence why I also wonder if it'd be placed after we see the stars but before Bilbo wakes up.

Legomir
Bree

May 28 2013, 12:42am

Post #12 of 13 (227 views)
Shortcut
Young Bilbo Flashback [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson seems to be a fan of putting in a big new scene right at the start of the Extended Edition (Concerning Hobbits, Elven Rope, and the Voice of Saruman). Maybe he'll be continuing that by having the Young Bilbo flashback scene come right after the prologue. It could be something like, Old Bilbo smoking his pipe-weed talking about him joining in the Quest, then go straight to the flashback of Young Bilbo, then go to Gandalf entering the Shire and walking up to Bilbo in Bag End.

The title would have to be shown at a different spot (which PJ was fine with doing in the Extended versions of FOTR and TTT), but it would probably give a better reintroduction to Gandalf than we got in the Theatrical Version, where he just kind of jumps into fame with no fanfare.

Elenorflower
Gondor

May 28 2013, 1:20pm

Post #13 of 13 (154 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo in Rivendell (lots of it) [In reply to] Can't Post

and Bilbo being flumoxed into going on the adventure by Gandalf the morning after the party. with those two scenes it will be possible to do a pretty decent purist edit of the film as it should have looked ( imo obviously) Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.