Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #18
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 27 2013, 9:05pm

Post #1 of 27 (371 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #18 Can't Post

*Ro tiptoes in, trusty torch at the ready once again* Hail and well met, quiztakers! Welcome to our penultimate The Hobbit Short Attention Span Theatre quiz. With only two chapters left to cover, if you’ve been keeping track, you probably guessed which one we’re doing this week: Chapter 5, Riddles in the Dark. Thus (if you’ve paid attention!) you should know what’s coming up next week. Got your riddling-caps on? Good. Torches and headlamps ready? Excellent -- they sure are getting a lot of use in these quizzes – I never stopped to consider before how much of this book takes places underground or in otherwise dark and dodgy places. Now, you know the drill: SAST quizzes are utterly and indubitably CLOSED BOOK *glares sternly over quizmistress glasses* meaning you MAY NOT sneak a peek (or peek at a sneak, even if you’re so inclined) at anything, book or otherwise. Suspected cheaters will be left behind for Gollum’s next meal, and will never, EVER get another look at Thorin’s hair! Quiz closes in three days, questions worth one point each, and bribes are always and most welcome. Headlamps on and off you go!

*Ro tiptoes down tunnel, wistfully wishing there were at least one Dwarf in this chapter*

1. Bilbo finds himself alone in the Goblin tunnels. He continues down and down, until he does something suddenly that pulls him up sharp and short. What?

2. Where does Gollum make his home, such as it is?

3. What’s the answer to this riddle? “It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,/ Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. / It lies behind stars and under hills,/ And empty holes it fills./ It comes first and follows after,/ Ends life, kills laughter.”

4. When Bilbo asks his last question, “What have I got in my pocket?”, Gollum guesses four things in his three guesses. Name all four of these things. [Must get all four for credit!]

5. As Bilbo is making his escape from the Goblins, he gets himself stuck in the doorway between the door and the doorpost. What part of his clothing does he lose when he gives a terrific squirm and manages to free himself?

Answers & Results to Quiz #17 to be posted here later today when I get a chance!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 27 2013, 9:28pm

Post #2 of 27 (163 views)
Shortcut
I know for a fact that you don't wear glasses [In reply to] Can't Post

so you don't scare me Wink.

1. Bilbo finds himself alone in the Goblin tunnels. He continues down and down, until he does something suddenly that pulls him up sharp and short. What?

Ugh - he runs into a cold, slimy bit of water. He doesn't know it's a lake - all he knows is that it's cold and wet.

Gollum lives on the edge of the lake, where he occasionally catches a bony fish, or on a good day, a goblin. Yuck.

3. What’s the answer to this riddle? “It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,/ Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. / It lies behind stars and under hills,/ And empty holes it fills./ It comes first and follows after,/ Ends life, kills laughter.”

DARK.

4. When Bilbo asks his last question, “What have I got in my pocket?”, Gollum guesses four things in his three guesses. Name all four of these things. [Must get all four for credit!]

Hands. Knife. String. Nothing.

5. As Bilbo is making his escape from the Goblins, he gets himself stuck in the doorway between the door and the doorpost. What part of his clothing does he lose when he gives a terrific squirm and manages to free himself?

His nice brass buttons - silly Bilbo.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 28 2013, 12:05am

Post #3 of 27 (145 views)
Shortcut
Answer#18 [In reply to] Can't Post

The second to last quiz! Frown

He lands in an underground lake.

On a small island in...Kokomo!

Wind

String, knife, hands, and ipod.

Well, gosh I hope it's not his pants. That would be uber-embarassing. Crazy I say his buttons.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

May 28 2013, 12:18am

Post #4 of 27 (138 views)
Shortcut
Next to last :<( [In reply to] Can't Post

These have been such fun, Ro. So glad you're doing LOTR!

1) He steps on a pinecone. Hey, barefoot those things hurt!

2) In a tall pine tree, where else?

3) Tough one. An invisible pine tree?

4) Pine nuts, pine needle, pine cone, ornament off a Christmas tree (pine tree!)

5) All of the above that he'd stuffed in his other pocket. Hobbits can be tricksy too!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 28 2013, 12:56am

Post #5 of 27 (137 views)
Shortcut
This seems familiar... [In reply to] Can't Post

What, no Dwarves? We'll have to rectify that a bit:

He steps into cold water. Which makes him remember the tub of water, now gone cold, back in the cave which they'd heated up for Thorin's hair-washing.

On a rock in a cave there lived a Gollum. Not a nasty, dirty, wet rock - uh, come to think of it, it IS a nasty, dirty wet rock. Tongue

The dark!

Handses
Lock of Thorin's hair
String
Nothing

His brass buttons. This part of the story is actually a remake of an earlier story (the bit about the birds will come in later):

Peter was most dreadfully frightened; he rushed all over the garden, for he had forgotten the way back to the gate. He lost one of his shoes among the cabbages, and the other shoe amongst the potatoes.

After losing them, he ran on four legs and went faster, so that I think he might have got away altogether if he had not unfortunately run into a gooseberry net, and got caught by the large buttons on his jacket. It was a blue jacket with brass buttons, quite new.

Peter gave himself up for lost, and shed big tears; but his sobs were overheard by some friendly sparrows, who flew to him in great excitement, and implored him to exert himself.

Mr. McGregor came up with a sieve, which he intended to pop upon the top of Peter; but Peter wriggled out just in time, leaving his jacket behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 28 2013, 1:03am

Post #6 of 27 (140 views)
Shortcut
*cracks knuckles* [In reply to] Can't Post

1. A golden circle
of hot, malicious desire:
the One Ruling Ring

2. The least homely house:
An island on a dark lake
Around which lunch swims

3. When all light fails
We are surrounded by this:
An absolute dark.

4. A pocket with string?
No handkerchief - no, nothing.
Nor handses kept warm.

5. A handsome waistcoat
no longer closed by buttons
made from solid brass.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 1:54am

Post #7 of 27 (151 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Trek: [In reply to] Can't Post

Riddles into Darkness

1. Did he bump his head or something?
2. Is an island in a subterranean lake really an island?
3. If the answer to a riddle in the dark is dark does it tip an endless loop?
4. What do a hand, a knife, string, or nothing have in common?
5. Buttons, though pants would have been funnier.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 28 2013, 1:58am)

Esmeralda
Bree

May 28 2013, 2:44am

Post #8 of 27 (126 views)
Shortcut
Riddle me this, Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Steps into cold water and thinks wistfully of the last time Thorin washed his hair. Under a Rivendell waterfall, I believe...

On a small rocky island in the middle of the lake. He holds clambakes there when the weather’s nice, which it never really is, unfortunately.

Dark. The dark of a mountains roots. The dark of a dragon’s heart. The dark of a dwarf-lord’s ebony locks...

Handses. Knife. String or nothing! Not posies or miracles or shiny gold preciousses, no {gollum}.

Buttons. Perhaps Thorin notices and that’s why he gives Bilbo the Mithril weskit? I understand they wear quite well.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 2:55am

Post #9 of 27 (125 views)
Shortcut
No Dwarves....?!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for another SAST Ro! Angelic This weeks Answer Poem is a sweet and short one. (And so is the picture...Wink)

From the icy cold water
on the little island, in the dark -
pale thin hands seek knife...string...ring...
but find only buttons.

You need at least one Dwarf to look at this week....Heart

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Angharad73
Rohan

May 28 2013, 6:02am

Post #10 of 27 (122 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

No Dwarves, eh? That means Thorin's hair is not involved at all in this chapter? Well, we'll have to see about that!

1. Poor Bilbo stepped into some water, which turned out to be an underground lake. And it wasn't a bad lake, as far as lakes go, but Bilbo couldn't see that as it was too dark for him to notice that when there was a bit of wind, the water rippled just in the right way being somewhat reminiscent of the way Thorin's hair rippled in the wind.

2. In that aforementioned lake, there was a yucky, slimy island, and on that island there lived Gollum, who, as we know, was quite a nasty-looking, hairless creature. Poor Bilbo, who was by now quite missing the Dwarves and their endless squabbling about who gets to help braid Thorin's hair as opposed to doing something useful, like cooking dinner (this always vexed Bilbo terribly, since he still did not quite know how to appreciate the wonders of Dwarven hair), was in for a bit of a shock.

3. The answer to the riddle would be "Dark" - dark, like Thorin's hair, of course, although there is a bit of grey in it, but that makes it just look nicer.

4. The question regarding what was in Bilbo's pocket, only related to one of his pockets, which was a good thing because he carred quite an assortment of strange and sometimes interesting things in his other pockets. Besides a number of handkerchiefs (Gandalf had gone back to get him some, after all), there were an assortment of pebbles, which were there for no discernible reason, and which had been squashed into a small piece of flowery soap he had filched from Rivendell and which he had, unfortunately sat on at some point. There also was a coin he had picked up in the Troll cave. He also had a piece of coloured glass, quite worn down, scratched and without shapr edges, a very small piece of pink cloth and a broken wooden animal in his pockets. One more interesting thing he had in his commodious pockets was that Dwarvish hair bead, which Bilbo had picked up somewhere and which may or may not have come from Thorin's hair. Just saying... *

Now, as for Gollum's guesses, they ran more along the line of "Hands" (might have been "Handses"?), "String" (Stringses"?), "Knife" ("Kniveses"?) and "Nothing" ("Nothingses"?).

5. He lost most of the nice, shiny brass buttons of his coat and waistcoat, which was a shame for he quite liked nice, shiny things. On the plus-side, though he was outside, he could find the Dwarves again, and then he had, at least, Thorin's nice, shiny hair to look at...

Please forgive my aimless meanderings...

* Contents of Bilbo's pockets based on what I have recently fished out of my daughter's pockets, sometimes even before putting the clothes in the washing machine.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 28 2013, 9:23am

Post #11 of 27 (110 views)
Shortcut
Riddle me this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Twice he stops for something he's discovered... there's water and then there was this Ring... ;)

On a little island in the middle of this huge, underground lake.

Dark... darkness... black stuff!

oh no... string, knife, hands, nothing. *covers face* It would be miserable to miss this one! *gulp*

Buttons! Buttons pop off everywhere!

Thanks so much Ro! OMG! Only one chapter left? I love visiting the story this way :D

*hugs*

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

sador
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 10:12am

Post #12 of 27 (115 views)
Shortcut
Eighteen down, one to go, yess, yess [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I've missed one week - so for me it's still the 17th...

We has no matches!

But that was before he started his trek down. A second shock was his foot finding something cold, and wet. He got down to the water!

But rather turn the pipe and waters course
To serve thy sinnes...

- George Herbert

In fact, in was a lake, rather than a stream.

As an aside, I must point out that hobbits are very soft-footed, even when unexpectedly encountering water. Gollum never heard him.
So how did he find out?
Angelic
Do you remember that in the previous chapter, Bilbo woke up with a start? Well, it wasn't just his dream - or rather, the dream reflected the reality (warning - more Freud below!)
After a long night out in the cold, with no fire in the cave, he naturally woke up... but was grabbed by goblins, Dori, Bombur and Dori again, then falling down and bumping his head, and now unexpectedly wading into the water... there are certain needs that just can't be denied overlong.

Of course, JRRT wouldn't tell you that!

Well, inside the lake there was an island. But I have quoted Johnne Donne in SAST #1 already.

This is just the moment to admire Bilbo's resourcefulness in laying a devillish trap for Gollum.

You see, is no-man is an island, it has no-legs.
One-leg could mean the mountain; after all, the Misty Mountain do have foothills, right?
Two-legs could be Gollum himself.
But Gollum is sitting on his boat... wait a minute! The boat doesn't have three legs! Pirate

Ah... Bilbo could have got him there. After barely realising this was a wrong trail, there is no way Gollum could calmly work out the real answer. Crafty Bilbo!

But unfortunately, Gollum did not quite listen in his English classes; rather, he would think of devious ways to suck eggsses.

So he didn't fall into this pitfall; and on the other hand, he managed to solve the egg riddle.
Which serves to teach you, children - sometimes, not paying attention in class does pay off.

Crazy

I hope my kids don't read this...

At last - one answer which can refer to Thorin!

But no. not to his hair - even if "Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. / It lies behind stars and under hills,/ And empty holes it fills./ It comes first and follows after" might be a good approximation. (well, if odorless shampoo is properly apllied to it!)

It refers to his untimely demise, thirteen chapters hence (Frown). As in Abraham Cowley's:

Ye fields of Cambridge, our dear Cambridge, say Have ye not seen us walking every day? Was there a tree about which did not know The love betwixt us two? Henceforth, ye gentle trees, for ever fade; Or your sad branches thicker join And into darksome shades combine, Dark as the grave wherein my Friend is laid.

But could have the Oxford-centered JRRT really meant that?

All four? Shocked

Thorin's letter.
Bilbo's pipe.

No... in either case, Gollum would have won. So now I need to think of four different wrong answers!

And snub-nosed .38...
Wrong book!

4a. Hands. Gollum apparently thought Blibo was a really good English gentleman, and kept his hands to himself. Luckily, Bilbo has lost his some time ago...
??? Shocked... Blush... Evil.... that refers to the next guess.

4b. Knife. Another good guess, of a double practical value - had this guess been right, Bilbo having Sting in his pockets and his hands out of it, would have helped a lot (Gollum didn't quite register that Bilbo considered Sting a real sword). Also, it would have helped after dinner was caught...

4c-d. With both these guesses wasted, Gollum became understandably nervous. And just like an example straight out of like Freud's textbook, once neurosis set in, he began to think of religion. An uncalled-vision arose, in which he saw -

But not in silence holy kept; the Harp
Had work and rested not, the solemn Pipe,
And Dulcimer, all Organs of sweet stop,
All sounds on Fret by String or Golden Wire
Temper'd soft Tunings, intermixt with Voice
Choral or Unison...

(lines_594-599)

But coming from a family of hard-nosed agnostics, he just couldn't accept that without qualifying it. So he shrieked: "String, or Nothing!"

Both wrong, of course - as playing music is forbidden on the Shabbat.

Yes, it's a. marvell how he manages to get free!

Here at the fountain's sliding foot,
Or at some fruit-tree's mossy root,
Casting the body's vest aside,
My soul into the boughs does glide...

But he did not cast aside all his vest - only the buttons.

(This post was edited by sador on May 28 2013, 10:21am)

sador
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 10:27am

Post #13 of 27 (123 views)
Shortcut
I know that feeling of immense relief only too well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
based on what I have recently fished out of my daughter's pockets, sometimes even before putting the clothes in the washing machine.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

May 28 2013, 6:14pm

Post #14 of 27 (106 views)
Shortcut
I'll be sorry when these are done [In reply to] Can't Post

They have been great fun!1.

Bilbo finds himself alone in the Goblin tunnels. He continues down and down, until he does something suddenly that pulls him up sharp and short. What?
Bless us and splash us! Water! Cold water he steps in.

On a bump on a log, in middle of the water. Or,on an island, in the lake.

Dark, dark as Thorin's beard.

Handses! Knife! String, or Nothing! (which reminds him of the Dwarves' bathing scene)

Buttons and bows! Or just buttons.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

elaen32
Gondor

May 28 2013, 8:34pm

Post #15 of 27 (99 views)
Shortcut
Are we lost Precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. Bilbo finds himself alone in the Goblin tunnels. He continues down and down, until he does something suddenly that pulls him up sharp and short. What? He is slapped round the face by Gollum, with a dead fish as in the fish slapping dance. This is Gollum's idea of a cultural welcome of sorts. Bilbo had first realised that his feet were wet since he had walked into an underground lake

2. Where does Gollum make his home, such as it is? Fantasy Island- where else? Sadly this was Gollum's rather pathetic delusion- it was in fact a cold, slimy rock island in the middle of the underground lake.

3. What’s the answer to this riddle? “It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,/ Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. / It lies behind stars and under hills,/ And empty holes it fills./ It comes first and follows after,/ Ends life, kills laughter.” Well, if it were not for the last line, I would have said Thorin's hair elixir, but as it is, I'll have to go with THE DARK

4. When Bilbo asks his last question, “What have I got in my pocket?”, Gollum guesses four things in his three guesses. Name all four of these things. [Must get all four for credit!] Well, what HAS it got in its pocketses Precious? Niccce Fisssh? One of Thorin's braid clipses? Mushroomses? Stick insectses? More like Handses, Knife, String or Nothing!

I'm not sure that I want to answer this- it seems a bit indelicate! People should be able to keep their terrific squirms private, but since you insist, he lost his nice brass buttons!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

May 28 2013, 10:53pm

Post #16 of 27 (95 views)
Shortcut
Interesting questions [In reply to] Can't Post

1 A small, golden ring glittering on the floor
2 An island on the lake
3 Dark! Which does feature a lot in Tolkien as well, thinking about it.
4 This I don't know all of
a) String
b) Nothing
c) Hands
d) I don't know! If it was nowadays it might be a silver penny or hankie! Or maybe an Iplod. Well, those Dwarves can make clever things, youknow and one of those little devices is good for Bilbo to text back home. Just a couple of problems, save Rivendell there is nowhere in the wild to recharge its batteries, and in the wild there are no mobile phone masts, so no connection. and he had dropped it in the struggles with the Goblins anyway!
5 Buttons

Nira
Lorien

May 29 2013, 3:39am

Post #17 of 27 (87 views)
Shortcut
#18 [In reply to] Can't Post

He accidentally cleans those dirty hobbit feet with some very cold water.

A quiet, rural place on an island surrounded by a good fishing lake. The local weather is a bit damp, but consistent year-round. And though the neighbors aren't the kindest, sometimes they're available for dinner.

It's a dark riddle in the dark about dark.

hands, knife?, string or nothing
It isn't a real riddle, but all's fair in love & war.

Brass buttons! Sly

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 29 2013, 6:28am

Post #18 of 27 (85 views)
Shortcut
*pffffffft* [In reply to] Can't Post

Sheeesh, I get no respect around here! Wink Next you'll be telling me you don't believe I'll carry out all my threats on cheaters, either.

*goes off to practice quizmistress glare in mirror*

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 29 2013, 11:40am

Post #19 of 27 (96 views)
Shortcut
Down with the dearth of dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Or with the death of dwarves too, in case you misread that...) We must not suffer a lack of dwarves, so here is one well equipped for today's adventure. (Ha! Gotcha again! Tongue)

He steps into the ice-cold water of the underground lake.

He lives on an island of rock in the middle of the lake.

Darkness

Handses, knife (shut up!), string or nothing!

*cough* Pants? No? How about kilt? Or, perhaps, buttons? (All but one...)

Thank you, quizmistress, for these fun posts! I hope you get to enjoy many a fine bribe.

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Darkstone
Immortal

May 29 2013, 2:09pm

Post #20 of 27 (84 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

He pulls up his shorts so he looks sharp.

It’s fun to stay at the YMCA (Young Monsters’ Cavern Association).

Austere fiscal policy.

Key to his DeLorien, ticket stub to the hit musical “The Goblin King”, credit card from BoFA (“Bank of the First Age”), and a “What do you put in a barrel to make it lighter?”

The left half of his jacket, but it’s all right now.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

May 29 2013, 6:08pm

Post #21 of 27 (70 views)
Shortcut
Answers Quiz #18 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. He steps into cold water.

2. There is a small island. In a lake. In a very dark cave. Under the Misty Mountains.

3. Darkness

4.Knife. Handses. String, or nothing. *gollumgollum*

5. He loses his beautiful brass buttons.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Elwen
Lorien

May 29 2013, 8:46pm

Post #22 of 27 (69 views)
Shortcut
No dwaves, no elves... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's positively dreary here. Wink

1. He realized he *might* have left the coffee pot on in Bag End. (Actually I think he came to the edge of a pool.)

2. On a little island of rock in the middle of the lake.

3. Am I the only one who hears the singing from the 70's cartoon when they read that riddle? *sings* "The answer is dark...the dark."

4. I think Knife, and I'm sure of Handses String or Nothing

5. His lovely gumdrop buttons. (sorry, wrong story) His brass buttons.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Elessar
Valinor

May 30 2013, 6:31pm

Post #23 of 27 (51 views)
Shortcut
Try 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. ice cold water

2. An rock island in the middle of the lake

3. the dark

4. hands, knife, string, nothing

5. his buttons

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2013, 5:34am

Post #24 of 27 (49 views)
Shortcut
18 already? [In reply to] Can't Post

He gets his toes wet.

On an island in the middle of the underground lake. And while Gandalf and Bilbo may have later assumed that he left the caves simply in order to find his lost Ring, they didn't know the true cause. As it happens, he had the Phantom of the Opera for a next door neighbor, and the nightly arias were enough to drive anyone to move out.

Naturally, his mind went immediately to "that feeling of ominous foreboding of impending death that makes people say "I have a bad feeling about this!"", but he composed himself and answered with the boring, traditional answer of "Dark".

4. When Bilbo asks his last question, “What have I got in my pocket?”, Gollum guesses four things in his three guesses. Name all four of these things.
[Must get all four for credit!]

Knife, handses, string, or nothing!

He lost his buttons. Nearly all of them. It was a terrible loss.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on May 31 2013, 5:41am)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 31 2013, 6:23am

Post #25 of 27 (50 views)
Shortcut
JustBarely made it... [In reply to] Can't Post

My life is too hectic these days - hardly any time for TORn! Well, it should (should) get better in a couple weeks...

Oh, goodness. Does he bump into something? Find a strand of Thorin's hair? I can't remember. Bother.

On the twig of the branch on the tree in the bog down in the valley-oh. Oh, I mean, on an island in the middle of a lake in the cave under the mountain. Nary a hair in sight, Thorin's or otherwise.

3. What's the answer to this riddle? 'It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,/ Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. / It lies behind stars and under hills,/ And empty holes it fills./ It comes first and follows after,/ Ends life, kills laughter.'
I want to say 'shadow', but I must be wrong on that, right? I'm not doing so well here, and I'm so tired I can't even figure out how to work Thorin's hair into the ans- oh. I just did.

4. When Bilbo asks his last question, 'What have I got in my pocket?', Gollum guesses four things in his three guesses. Name all four of these things. [Must get all four for credit!]
Hmmm... hands, string, nothing, and... humph... I'll go with... a strand of Thorin's hair. Can't remember. Again.

Button, button, who's got the button? Not Bilbo - not anymore, anyway. And Thorin's hair can't help him with this one.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.