The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I can partly predict some box office results for the next hobbit film
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Welsh hero
Gondor

May 24 2013, 7:11pm

Post #1 of 42 (1908 views)
Shortcut
I can partly predict some box office results for the next hobbit film Can't Post

It will not beat Iron Man 3.

Iron man 3 has made $1,105,982,524 allready. Will end up doing much more. I doubt the hobbit will beat it. However it )the hobbit) can hit a billion

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

(This post was edited by Welsh hero on May 24 2013, 7:11pm)

Elessar
Valinor

May 24 2013, 7:18pm

Post #2 of 42 (962 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect DoS to hit 1.1-1.2 billion.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

May 24 2013, 7:23pm

Post #3 of 42 (897 views)
Shortcut
Slow day? ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

MasterOrc
Rivendell

May 24 2013, 7:26pm

Post #4 of 42 (984 views)
Shortcut
Th sad thing is I saw... [In reply to] Can't Post

Iron Man 3 and was quite disappointed. But, the theater is packed with kids which obviously fills the void between Hobbit movies and Comic book icons.

The second Star Trek was a very good movie and i can't wait for the next one.

I see Smaug drawing in some more kids to the movie and DOS eclipsing 1.3 billion worldwide. Wink

Welsh hero
Gondor

May 24 2013, 7:49pm

Post #5 of 42 (914 views)
Shortcut
Iron Man 3 does have some time in the cinema to go..... [In reply to] Can't Post

not sure when it closes in cinema though

-Irfon

Arannir
Valinor

May 24 2013, 7:57pm

Post #6 of 42 (899 views)
Shortcut
Marvel [In reply to] Can't Post

Is THE franchise of this generation.

Middle-earth isn't (anymore)... and wasn't even before reviews of AUJ were mixed. The recent superhero movies created much bigger hype and media coverage.

As long as DoS does well (around the same numbers as AUJ +/- 100 Mio), that should be enough... I think who expects the numbers of the topselling Marvel franchises will be in for a dissapointment.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Elessar
Valinor

May 24 2013, 7:58pm

Post #7 of 42 (870 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it does [In reply to] Can't Post

I figure its probably got another good 4-5 weeks left.

Welsh hero
Gondor

May 24 2013, 8:07pm

Post #8 of 42 (897 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit may beat thor [In reply to] Can't Post

Iron man really the big guy (not the hulk) in Marvel.

But Thor has Loki, from what I read, the ladies like Loki

-Irfon

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 24 2013, 9:27pm

Post #9 of 42 (835 views)
Shortcut
Should get to a billion [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Desolation of Smaug will be a much superior movie to AUJ. That alone will get more people to come back for a second time, tell there friends about the awesome dragon scene(assuming it is awesome Laugh) and action, and boost the excitement again for TABA! Optimism at it's finest Smile

Maciliel
Valinor

May 24 2013, 11:31pm

Post #10 of 42 (782 views)
Shortcut
i think d-smaug will do better than auj [In reply to] Can't Post

many people were put off by the hfr controversy, and some middling reviews (in which reviewers were partially put off by the technology, rather than the content -- though it was certainly fair to criticize some of the script/directing choices).

but it was a hit anyway, and a lot of people were pleasantly surprised. for the second installment, people will be more confident that they'll enjoy it (well, a good portion, anyway).

either way (doing better or worse than auj), i think it will top a billion.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

May 25 2013, 5:25am

Post #11 of 42 (700 views)
Shortcut
who knows [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the hype around Benedict Cumberbatch will attract people to the theaters.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 5:54am

Post #12 of 42 (714 views)
Shortcut
don't be so sure [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS is going to have a lot going for it...smaug, beorn, mirkwood...I could see DOS doing better than Iron Man 3.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 25 2013, 6:03am

Post #13 of 42 (693 views)
Shortcut
should do better than AUJ at any rate [In reply to] Can't Post

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Tinkerbell
Lorien

May 25 2013, 6:40am

Post #14 of 42 (684 views)
Shortcut
Possibly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think DoS starts to exhibit its own quality. This segment of the journey introduces
Mirkwood, Dale, and Erebor in greater scope. It is relatively unchartered cinematic
landscape. In addition, the characters --Thranduil and Smaug -- introduced in AUJ
prologue reenter the story. At once, this proposition becomes real for Bilbo and the
Dwarves as they arrive at the scenes pertinent to their destination. And we will be treated
to our company's arrival at their destination. Once there, things really get interesting! This
film could have legs.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 25 2013, 6:53am

Post #15 of 42 (692 views)
Shortcut
And based on that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will fair better among critics, compared to AUJ - that should pull more viewers in.

Smile

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 25 2013, 7:19am

Post #16 of 42 (676 views)
Shortcut
Critics [In reply to] Can't Post

Faugh!

If a critic likes movie I generally run from it, most are boobs.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

macfalk
Valinor

May 25 2013, 9:43am

Post #17 of 42 (704 views)
Shortcut
The reason I think that DOS won't top even AUJ's numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this: as you said, superheroes are what's popular now, and not only in America, over the entire world: like in Asia where they would much rather go see Iron Man 5 or Pirates of the Caribbean 8 than anything Tolkien, regardless of quality. Superhero movies don't have to rely on reviews or critical reception, you watch superhero movies because you want to be entertained.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Arannir
Valinor

May 25 2013, 10:05am

Post #18 of 42 (622 views)
Shortcut
I hope so... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but if they keep pouring hate over 48fps and ESPECIALLY the three movie split than this might not be the case... DoS will have the big question how it ends... either way (Smauf dead or not dead) it will be easy to criticize it (either "the dragon is dead... why should we come back next year?" or "Already 5 hours of story-telling and we have gotten nowhere - padding, money crap.").

Also, as much as I love AUJ - the editing was an issue with it, movie-wise. I hope PJ makes some harder decisions here on what to cut out until the EE.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 10:19am

Post #19 of 42 (647 views)
Shortcut
I'm waiting for the marketing to begin... [In reply to] Can't Post

... before saying anything more than "slightly more or less than AUJ". If the trailers and posters elicit a "meh" like the majority of the ones for AUJ i could see a decrease.

glor
Rohan

May 25 2013, 3:43pm

Post #20 of 42 (578 views)
Shortcut
I think it will too, plus.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the LOTR films, it will build an audience via DVD viewings. I work with young adults and have two of my own and an awful lot of them did not see AUJ in the cinema but have expressed a strong desire to see DOS in the cinema. They watched AUJ on DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it, they didn't bother going to theatres to see it because they were either put of by reviews, weren't overly fond of the LOTR films or hadn't even seen them.

Just like FOTR, people are watching AUJ on dvd and surprised by their enjoyment of it, that is building an audience for DOS and TABA, an audience that will (hopefully) increase box office.

This is why Hollywood is so keen on franchises and trilogies, home viewings of films via DVD, and streaming services are not just revenue sources but massive marketing tools intended to build audiences for the next or final part of the franchise/trilogy. it is no coincidence that it is the sequels and/or subsequent films in a franchise that break the box office takings of their predecessors. Ironically, this modern model for making money from movies probably started with the LOTR Trilogy.

willowing
Lorien

May 26 2013, 1:02am

Post #21 of 42 (530 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I think The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit is far superior to the super hero movies that are 'in' at the moment.

The world has problems, and people are looking for an escape from the daily grind, so what way better to feed the imagine than having super heroes flying through the air brandishing their accesssories, tossing the enemy/objects away like golf balls.

I have seen a few of these movies and they were good and found myself thinking 'if only'.

Situations and problems cannot be solved in this manner which is why the Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit is better reading and viewing than the super hero. No jumping into an iron suit or grabbing a hammer as an energiser.

It's about human endurance and endeavour with the aid of a few friends along the way that makes middle earth what it is.

The Desolution of Smaug will definitely be an eye opener and a box office hit.

cats16
Half-elven

May 26 2013, 1:09am

Post #22 of 42 (493 views)
Shortcut
Well said, willowing. // [In reply to] Can't Post

demnation
Rohan

May 26 2013, 4:26am

Post #23 of 42 (469 views)
Shortcut
Don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

Him being in Star Trek didn't really do that movie any favors.

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 26 2013, 11:33am

Post #24 of 42 (450 views)
Shortcut
Movies are made and will be released regadless of the boxoffice [In reply to] Can't Post

They cannot be unprofitable because following is big enough to assure revenue and they cannot be cancelled either for they are already made. So fans win even if another movie wins the boxoffice "battle".

Does it really matter what movie makes more and what movie makes less? Boxoffice doesn`t reflect on quality (Twilight, anyone?) and in The Hobbit case it won`t prevent movies from being made.

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 26 2013, 11:40am

Post #25 of 42 (448 views)
Shortcut
Marvel does what LOTR did only on much bigger scale [In reply to] Can't Post

Both came up with an inovative release idea. Filming and releasing LOTR back to back was unprecended at the time but Marvel took it to the next level with "Phases" - individual movies loosely tied-in culminating in a multiple superhero movie that brings them together. And then over again. The hype is on its side but how they`ll age is another matter.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.