Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

May 25 2013, 7:37pm

Post #51 of 58 (82 views)
Shortcut
For anybody who watched Mr. Selfridge... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a very interesting documentary about him and Woolworth a d their impact on shopping in England .

http://youtu.be/KMj6VwJjAaI

The rest is available on that same page.

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on May 25 2013, 7:40pm)

Magpie
Immortal

May 26 2013, 1:06am

Post #52 of 58 (113 views)
Shortcut
I didn't catch that name in the credits... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I caught Sala Baker as a stunt person

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2013, 3:31am

Post #53 of 58 (71 views)
Shortcut
Did you catch the RotK reference? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here there be spoilers...

Right after Spock nails John with a punch which causes him to black out, the screen blacks out also...for several seconds...then fades in with the wounded Frodo's, er, Kirk's head lying on a pillow in a room where he's being healed. Next time I see this, I'll look to see if Kirk's "Ring" finger is bandaged...

Oh, I checked on IMDB, that is indeed Jimmy D's son at the transporter! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Old Toby
Gondor

May 26 2013, 4:14am

Post #54 of 58 (143 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't help myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to see Star Trek Into Darkness for the third time today. I was surprised that it was already moved out of the bigger screen rooms and into the medium sized ones to make way for Fast & Furious 6 and The Hangover Part 3. I mean really....This is only the second weekend ST is playing! And the theater was packed, as expected, since a lot of people have been waiting for this weekend to see it.

I'm impressed with Chris Pine in this one. He really is quite good and can play heartfelt seriousness as well as comedy. I enjoy his Kirk. But my primary reason for going again was Benedict of course. The man is mesmerizing on screen.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 26 2013, 5:45am

Post #55 of 58 (75 views)
Shortcut
Loved it too Toby [In reply to] Can't Post

Plot twist whivh will ruin it if leaked to someone who hasn't seen it yet was geat too

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 26 2013, 12:10pm

Post #56 of 58 (45 views)
Shortcut
Caught IM3 now that there`s some breathing space in the cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

It was awful. I really failed to connect with this movie on any level. I loved the first movie and The Avengers and hated the second. Heard this one was as good as the first. Well, no sir,sir! It was dull, way too aimed at children and the bad guys who start to burn were horrible. The only thing I didn`t hate about it was the "big" twist because it was inventive. But, otherwise, it was a complete slog.

Downey and Kingsley were really fun to watch, the former when he got good stuff, and the latter in every scene which isn`t many scenes (don`t trust trailers, folks!) . Couldn`t care less for Cheadle (what`s his character name again?), the kid (what was his name again?) and Paltrow`s Pepper who was far more effective as a plucky personal assistent with hots for her boss than as the boss`s long-suffering girlfriend. She had a twist too that lasted for about 2-3 minutes and didn`t hit the mark for she was barely in the movie beforehand.

The reviews and boxoffice for this thing baffle me.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 26 2013, 7:30pm

Post #57 of 58 (27 views)
Shortcut
Glad you liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a bit out of the ordinary. Just goes to show the power of well written characters. I loved Kate Bosworth in this...

... speaking of whom, yes very geeky of you to notice all those familiar names. Bosworth should be on the list as well as her and Orlando Bloom were quite an item on the heels of ROTK.

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

May 26 2013, 7:46pm

Post #58 of 58 (69 views)
Shortcut
yes... I did know (and remember) [In reply to] Can't Post

about Kate and Orlando. :-)

What was interesting to me (about The Warrior's Way) was, I was really invested in even those characters that weren't really 'written' at all... the background characters of this small town. I loved the build to the final confrontation. (trying not to be too spoilery)

You had, at the same time you recommended this, recommended Appaloosa and I put that in my queue. But when it came time to call it up and decide whether to send for it, I realized that I'd not only seen it, I'd written a review of it here. So I just deleted it from the queue. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.