Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Volunteers for the remaining Silmarillion chapters?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Valinor

May 25 2013, 10:17pm

Post #1 of 26 (266 views)
Shortcut
Volunteers for the remaining Silmarillion chapters? Can't Post

Time to think about the remaining Silmarillion chapters! Do we have volunteers for these below? If you'd like to take a chapter, please either reply to this thread or PM me. No PhD in Tolkienology required! As Maciliel said, you just need the book and an opinion. (And share your questions with the rest of us.) Please note that Beren & Lu and Turin take a couple weeks each. (By the way, shouldn't Tolkien have had a Spoiler Editor for those crazy chapter titles? On first read, I was sorely disappointed to look ahead and see what would happen. What would LOTR have been like with Chapter **: Of the Death of Gandalf. Chapter ***: Of the Death of Boromir. Chapter ****: Of the Destruction of the Ring and the Death of Sauron. Argh!)

18. Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin - ??? - Week of June 16
19. Of Beren and Lśthien - ??? - Weeks of June 23 and June 30
20. Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad - ??? - Week of July 7
21. Of Tśrin Turambar - ??? - Weeks of July 14 and 21
22. Of the Ruin of Doriath - ??? - Week of July 28
23. Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin - ??? - Week of August 4
24. Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath - ??? - Week of August 11

We can schedule the Akallabeth and Rings of Power chapters when we get closer to them. Many thanks to everyone who has led chapter schedules so far. Even hyperbole cannot describe how good they've been.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to the Americanos on TORN!

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

May 26 2013, 9:49am

Post #2 of 26 (184 views)
Shortcut
I'll take Nirnaeth Arnoediad [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, and I think that Tolkien wrote his tales before people got silly about spoilers. In those days, if someone didn't want to hear about something, they simply avoided conversations about it Wink

elaen32
Gondor

May 26 2013, 10:28am

Post #3 of 26 (175 views)
Shortcut
Sorry CG [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to do a chapter but not sure I can at present if the symposium, quest, thing ... takes off.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 26 2013, 10:37am

Post #4 of 26 (173 views)
Shortcut
heya : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

if no one else wants, i'll do #23 (of tuor and the fall of gondolin), which would be a nice "part 2" to the "of maeglin" chapter i'm doing.

(btw, you're post was a wonderful bit of funniness : ) ).

cheers --

./

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 28 2013, 12:40pm

Post #5 of 26 (143 views)
Shortcut
I can ruin Beleriand for us, if you like [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, I would be happy to do Ch 18. Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin

June 16 - in my diary

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

CuriousG
Valinor

May 29 2013, 3:15am

Post #6 of 26 (142 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to everyone who's responded so far! I'll take Beren & Lu. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

May 29 2013, 3:44am

Post #7 of 26 (134 views)
Shortcut
I'll take Turin [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for organizing CG!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 29 2013, 12:33pm

Post #8 of 26 (124 views)
Shortcut
"dear diary..." [In reply to] Can't Post

"dear diary,

today i ruined beleriand. didn't quite mean to do it. i took beleriand out of the fridge around 9pm, while i was watching an old movie on the telly. i forgot to put it away. in the morning, when i came downstairs, i looked at beleriand, lying there on the platter, and it had gone blue. riddled with mold.

so, there will have to be another mass migration. unless the eldar and the edain have plenty of crackers on hand.

yours truly,

nowimė"

(cheers --)

(.)

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 29 2013, 12:55pm

Post #9 of 26 (119 views)
Shortcut
That's Tge second Beleriand I ruined- put the other in a hot wash // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

CuriousG
Valinor

May 29 2013, 1:20pm

Post #10 of 26 (118 views)
Shortcut
And all this time we blamed Morgoth. // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 29 2013, 1:24pm

Post #11 of 26 (116 views)
Shortcut
Darn, just ruined Beleriand #3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Met this guy called Finn, and we went golfing. Then he slipped and fell. So I took him to the minor injuries unit, but by the time I'd finished dealing with the fall of Finn golfing...

CuriousG
Valinor

May 29 2013, 2:26pm

Post #12 of 26 (112 views)
Shortcut
I thought the hobbits invented golfing [In reply to] Can't Post

You didn't by chance knock Finn's head into a hole (by accident, to be sure) and invent golfing ahead of the hobbits?

Brethil
Half-elven

May 29 2013, 4:22pm

Post #13 of 26 (111 views)
Shortcut
Yup - this is why we can't have nice things!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 2:20pm

Post #14 of 26 (99 views)
Shortcut
Would anyone be willing to preview my "Ruin..."? [In reply to] Can't Post

Would anyone be willing to preview my "Ruin... (please do note the inverted commas, I'm not proposing the showing of humiliating YouTube clips Smile)

It's a complex chapter and I'd like to give a good and clear summary of the main events, so that we can clear that out of the way/have it for reference while we get on with discussing themes, meanings and so on.. But since a key point of confusion is the number of similar geographic and personal names, it would be very easy to end up writing, say, Dorthonion instead of Doriath - or Finrod instead of Fingolfin - and then not noticing the mistake until it causes a lot of confusion. If someone is willing to give the intended text of my post a read though ahead of time and point out any howlers that aren't Sauron's werewolves, that would be reassuring!

Brethil
Half-elven

May 30 2013, 3:15pm

Post #15 of 26 (94 views)
Shortcut
Always happy to help [In reply to] Can't Post

especially as I have a large working knowledge of making misleading and questionable typos myself...Wink PM it if you want

CuriousG
Valinor

May 30 2013, 6:22pm

Post #16 of 26 (89 views)
Shortcut
Sure, please PM me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always happy to preview anything anyone wants to post on a chapter if they want some feedback, typo-searching, whatever ahead of time.

I hope you'll keep some things straight, such as the Fall of Thingolfinwefin, Two-Or and Gondor, Barren Effluvium, Glowering Draggin, and More-Goth's Thangorororodorimororor. (This sounds like a Middle English puzzle to decipher.)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 7:12pm

Post #17 of 26 (96 views)
Shortcut
it just struck me... [In reply to] Can't Post

if you were a descendant of the house of finwe, your name would be furiousg.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

CuriousG
Valinor

May 30 2013, 7:21pm

Post #18 of 26 (84 views)
Shortcut
Haha! Good one. That would be more interesting than this one, [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I might have to answer the question all the time, "What are you Furious about?" Or I could try "Fast and FuriousG." Even cooler.Cool

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 7:26pm

Post #19 of 26 (83 views)
Shortcut
how could [In reply to] Can't Post

how could you possibly be cooler than you are? there would be a leak in the time continuum or something.

fcheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 8:37pm

Post #20 of 26 (74 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That Should definitely get everything right Wink

I'll stop at 2 pre- readers, I think - as otherwise collating feedback will get laborious.

I've already sorted out the bit about Sauron renaming Tol Sirion as The Island of Care Bears - such an awful place that even orcs hurry past...

Brethil
Half-elven

May 30 2013, 8:44pm

Post #21 of 26 (69 views)
Shortcut
Misfit Care Bears at least? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I've already sorted out the bit about Sauron renaming Tol Sirion as The Island of Care Bears - such an awful place that even orcs hurry past...

Talk about a reason to cast it under water....!

I can vouch for the helpfulness of FastandFuriousG as a proofreader, having called upon him for aid once or twice. I'm sure that's all. Surely not a dozen. Nah.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 8:46pm

Post #22 of 26 (68 views)
Shortcut
WereCare Bear? Don't think my daughter collected that one. That period's gone all blank...// [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 8:48pm

Post #23 of 26 (70 views)
Shortcut
Beren called her "Lu"? Aww, cute// [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

May 30 2013, 10:11pm

Post #24 of 26 (71 views)
Shortcut
Why do I always confuse carebears with gummi bears? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it perhaps because they both set my teeth gnashing? Oh, I've just had a terrible thought- the very worse that PJ and co could do- make Beorn into Papa Care Bear !!!! (vomits in corner)Frown

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

CuriousG
Valinor

May 31 2013, 9:16pm

Post #25 of 26 (59 views)
Shortcut
That's more frightening than any nightmare. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.