Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Death of Bolg in AUJ
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

trqn13
Bree

May 25 2013, 9:56pm

Post #1 of 31 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Death of Bolg in AUJ Can't Post

Any explanation as to why in AUJ we see Dwalin kill Bolg at the battle of Azanulbizar? or did Peter Jackson just expect us to not see or turn a blind eye? (its roughly at the 48:20 mark)

"Give me your name, Horse Master, and I shall give you mine"

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 11:06pm

Post #2 of 31 (673 views)
Shortcut
nah, that isn't Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

it looks a little similar but thats not him.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Lio
Lorien

May 25 2013, 11:38pm

Post #3 of 31 (641 views)
Shortcut
I think it is him, but I don't think he died [In reply to] Can't Post

We do kind of see Dwalin nail him in the back, but from that perspective it's hard to tell how badly he was wounded. Maybe he survived just like Azog did?

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

flameofudun
Lorien

May 26 2013, 12:15am

Post #4 of 31 (576 views)
Shortcut
I dont know... [In reply to] Can't Post

if thats him and he was just wounded or if he wasnt there at all, that orc just looked similar. For sure though he didnt die though, they wouldnt have hired an actor for nothing. of that i am 100% sure

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 26 2013, 3:06am

Post #5 of 31 (496 views)
Shortcut
Rogl [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it was Bolg's brother Rogl

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

jtarkey
Rohan

May 26 2013, 5:07am

Post #6 of 31 (501 views)
Shortcut
It's definetly Bolg... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still super confused as to why that was shown.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

May 26 2013, 8:38am

Post #7 of 31 (419 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he was killed and then resurrected around the same time as Azog? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Shagrat
Gondor

May 26 2013, 9:29am

Post #8 of 31 (428 views)
Shortcut
No reason to think... [In reply to] Can't Post

He wasn't just badly wounded.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 26 2013, 9:32am

Post #9 of 31 (417 views)
Shortcut
It's certainly Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

Conan Stevens was credited for his 2-second appearance as the character in AUJ.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

trqn13
Bree

May 26 2013, 9:43am

Post #10 of 31 (394 views)
Shortcut
fairplay [In reply to] Can't Post

He does wear some pretty chunky armour so it is quite possible that he did away from that one, just don't think any dwarf (especially Dwalin) would let him get away. either way this needs to be clarified someone needs to write a letter :D

Skaan
Lorien

May 26 2013, 11:55am

Post #11 of 31 (400 views)
Shortcut
It is Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything about him looks the same as the promo shots we've got from him. Even his weapon, the bear paws on his shoulders, the hair/beard, his "pants" etc etc.

There's no reason to think it isn't him.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 26 2013, 11:58am

Post #12 of 31 (381 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

they did decide to replace Azog with CGI during post-production, didn't they? There's nothing stopping them from giving Bolg the same treatment.

Stigmata Script, a bastion for aspiring writers - http://stigmatascript.com/

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Skaan
Lorien

May 26 2013, 12:11pm

Post #13 of 31 (358 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But i don't think they will. They changed Azog's design because the original didn't stand out as much as they wanted compared to regular orcs. And they seem to have a pretty strong design for Bolg already.

Also, i don't think they'll be so quick to change real characters into CGI characters anymore after all the complaints about Azog.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

May 26 2013, 4:03pm

Post #14 of 31 (308 views)
Shortcut
The fact an actor is listed in the credits doesn't mean they are in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Two actors are credits as Thrain (one as Old Thrain (presumably the Dol Guldur Gandalf smackdown one)) but there is only one in the movie.

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durinís Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durinís Folk walk again in Moria.Ē

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 26 2013, 5:06pm

Post #15 of 31 (284 views)
Shortcut
Aye, that is true [In reply to] Can't Post

But Conan's in the film alright. There is no way around it-that Orc definitely is Bolg.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 26 2013, 7:08pm

Post #16 of 31 (273 views)
Shortcut
its not him [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ wouldn't allow such a big continuity error.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Skaan
Lorien

May 26 2013, 7:18pm

Post #17 of 31 (268 views)
Shortcut
What continuity error? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would there be a continuity error? The reason you see Bolg getting killed is because he probably gets resurrected by the Necromancer (Bolg is said to be the torturer of Dol Guldur, and i don't see what business Bolg would have in Dol Guldur if he doesn't have a history with the Necromancer).

It's him.

LordotRings93
Rohan

May 26 2013, 7:40pm

Post #18 of 31 (240 views)
Shortcut
I think it is Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

It's him, but I don't think Dwalin fully killed him, more like left him wounded. In the promo pics you can see Bolg has some pretty nasty scars and pieces of armor, like across his face. Or as others have said, Bolg was killed but resurrected by the Necromancer, hence why he's the torturer of Dol Guldur. Why else would he be there if he didn't have a connection with him?

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

trqn13
Bree

May 26 2013, 7:57pm

Post #19 of 31 (231 views)
Shortcut
resurrection? [In reply to] Can't Post

not sure about this idea of resurrection myself? if the Necromancer/Sauron could resurrect then why not Azog himself? or in later years the witch king?

Skaan
Lorien

May 26 2013, 8:11pm

Post #20 of 31 (221 views)
Shortcut
Who says Azog isn't resurrected aswell? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ofcourse it's all speculation, but it's a pretty common theory that Azog and Bolg died at the battle of Azanulbizar, and that the Necromancer resurrected them (and possibly some other orcs aswell).

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 26 2013, 9:23pm

Post #21 of 31 (220 views)
Shortcut
Set-up [In reply to] Can't Post

So if Bolg didn't die then this sets up another confrontation with Dwalin at BoFA. A grudge match perhaps. That's always supposing they recognize each other.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

May 26 2013, 9:30pm

Post #22 of 31 (215 views)
Shortcut
This "resurrection" business... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that it is Bolg at the battle, but why couldn't he have just survived the fight instead of having to be "resurrected"? We saw Azog being dragged back into Moria, so it's obvious that some orcs simply survived the battle.

Now, on to this idea that Azog and Bolg are zombie orcs (which seems to be a popular concept here) - book Sauron does not have the power to resurrect the dead, and Saruman even mentions in AUJ that the power to resurrect the dead does not exist in Middle-earth. So there is no reason to believe that PJ's Necromancer will have the power to reanimate dead orcs. I would hope that not even Jackson would veer that far off-track.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

May 26 2013, 9:32pm

Post #23 of 31 (211 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

They've already supposedly concocted a backstory that sets up a rivalry between Beorn and Bolg, so I'd be surprised if they make Bolg into some kind of personal foe for Dwalin.

Lio
Lorien

May 27 2013, 12:55am

Post #24 of 31 (211 views)
Shortcut
Pictures for comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are a couple of screen caps with Bolg from the Azanulbizar scene:

Bolg versus Dwalin
Bolg defeated

And here's a still image of Bolg for comparison. The armour is the same so there's no question that it's Bolg.

What's interesting is that the younger Bolg doesn't have the "face plates" and his hair and beard appear to be fuller. It kind of fits in with the latter possibly being war trophies that have worn out over time. Shocked

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 27 2013, 1:20am

Post #25 of 31 (170 views)
Shortcut
well ok [In reply to] Can't Post

but IF that was the intention than why would PJ make it so difficult for viewers to notice?? Besides, at least in AUJ there is no hint of resurrection, we see Azog being carried away by his orcs.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.