Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A question on two Edit Profile items

dik-dik
Lorien

May 25 2013, 4:29pm

Post #1 of 9 (594 views)
Shortcut
A question on two Edit Profile items Can't Post

One of them is 'Send reply notification checked by default'. I thought that when I choose this one, a notification gets sent to my email whenever there's a reply to a post made by me; but that doesn't seem to be the case. Can someone tell me what this option is for?

The other slot I'm wondering about is 'Less Filling or Tastes Great' - what does it refer to?

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 25 2013, 5:43pm

Post #2 of 9 (132 views)
Shortcut
An answer or two [In reply to] Can't Post

1) You're correct. "Send reply notification by default" should send replies to your posts to your registered email. If you're not getting them, make sure you're checking the email account you registered with, and you may also need to add theonering . net to your 'allowable' email addresses, other wise they could be being blocked or sent to your spam folder.

2) You have to be of a certain age to know about this first hand - but Google yields many answers. It's really just a lighthearted joke that was carried over from the old TORn boards.

Hope that helps! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dik-dik
Lorien

May 25 2013, 9:39pm

Post #3 of 9 (99 views)
Shortcut
thanks Altaira. [In reply to] Can't Post

The notifications are working now. :)

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 25 2013, 9:49pm

Post #4 of 9 (197 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

sador
Half-elven

May 27 2013, 8:10am

Post #5 of 9 (83 views)
Shortcut
I always understood it as refering to: [In reply to] Can't Post

Only those, what d'you call 'em, lembas, Mr. Frodo. A fair supply. But they are better than naught, by a long bite. I never thought, though, when I first set tooth in them, that I should ever come to wish for a change. But I do now: a bit of plain bread, and a mug--aye, half a mug--of beer would go down proper.

and:

This waybread keeps you on your legs in a wonderful way, though it doesn't satisfy the innards proper, as you might say: not to my feeling anyhow, meaning no disrespect to them as made it.

Oh well. What do I know.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 27 2013, 12:30pm

Post #6 of 9 (60 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome retrofit of that old beer advertisement, sador!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dik-dik
Lorien

May 27 2013, 12:49pm

Post #7 of 9 (57 views)
Shortcut
You know, I originally thought it was something from the books as well... ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

... and it made me quite annoyed with myself for not having an inkling where in LotR it came from.
I just hope there isn't any hidden meaning to 'cabbages and potatoes or elves and dragons' as well; I felt pretty sure about that one. Wink

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 27 2013, 2:59pm

Post #8 of 9 (49 views)
Shortcut
LOL! That's exactly what it means. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 27 2013, 6:18pm

Post #9 of 9 (57 views)
Shortcut
Cabbages and Potatoes? [In reply to] Can't Post

“Elves and Dragons! Cabbages and potatoes are better for me and you. Don't go getting mixed up in the business of your betters, or you'll land in trouble too big for you.

~Hamfast Gamgee (the Gaffer)” Fellowship of the Ring

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.