Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The balrog and the Chamber of Mazarbul

dik-dik
Lorien

May 25 2013, 6:55pm

Views: 300
Shortcut
The balrog and the Chamber of Mazarbul Can't Post

This is something I've wondered about since I read Tolkien's Letters.
I used to be fairly sure that the 'great commanding voice' echoing through the halls belonged to the balrog, and that it was him who entered the chamber and challenged Gandalf's spell. Gandalf's description fit at least the latter quite well.
Tolkien's comment on the proposed FotR script made me pause though: "The Balrog never speaks or makes any vocal sound at all." (letter 210)
This comment made me re-evaluate my initial impression about the commanding voice (presumably then belonging to a troll?), and I hesitate about the part on counter-spell. If the creature that entered the Chamber was the balrog, and if the balrog didn't utter a word, would Gandalf be able to actually feel that "the counter-spell was terrible"?
Or is it possible that the incomer wasn't the balrog, but another dark creature that was hiding in the Mines, much like the nameless creatures below Moria? Not too plausible though, given the hints in the chapter's text ("Now I understand", the similar descriptions at the Bridge and in the Chamber, etc.)
How do the other TORNers read this passage?

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Subject User Time
The balrog and the Chamber of Mazarbul dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 25 2013, 6:55pm
    Who's that at the door? Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 25 2013, 7:12pm
        The "Beater of the Drums" is who Gimli thinks is at the door noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 25 2013, 7:36pm
            it's clearly Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel May 25 2013, 7:46pm
                Searching for spoons? Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 25 2013, 8:04pm
        Re: dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 25 2013, 9:54pm
    Gandalf & the Balrog elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 May 25 2013, 7:47pm
        I wonder if it's that remark Aragorn makes... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 25 2013, 8:02pm
        Possibly he didn't know CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 25 2013, 9:57pm
            Elves know about balrogs. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth May 25 2013, 10:47pm
                Durin's Bane Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff May 26 2013, 4:00am
            the one-Balrog identity parade PhantomS Send a private message to PhantomS May 27 2013, 5:02pm
                Yes, but CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 27 2013, 7:26pm
                    I'm sure the tales get around. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth May 27 2013, 7:37pm
                    As he tells Galadriel and Celeborn PattyJB Send a private message to PattyJB May 27 2013, 7:54pm
        He didn't seem surprised to me in the movie. dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 25 2013, 9:59pm
    the letter Z Elthir Send a private message to Elthir May 26 2013, 1:56pm
        Maybe JRRT meant 'any specifically human' vocal sound? dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik May 26 2013, 8:49pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.