Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Do Tell -- What Does Your Username or Avatar Mean?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

The Grey Elf
Gondor

May 25 2013, 2:02pm

Post #1 of 55 (599 views)
Shortcut
Do Tell -- What Does Your Username or Avatar Mean? Can't Post

Sometimes our profile choices hold a special significance, sometimes not. That meaning can be clear as a bell to our community or utterly obscure. If anyone is interested in sharing the origins of their username/avatar and helping other TORn members get to know you better, please post here!

As the OP, I guess I'm obligated to get the thread going which is ironic because I have nothing of much interest to share but here goes ... "The Grey Elf" was pretty random. I just wanted something simple. I struggled a bit coming up with an avatar pic until I came across a black & white (& "grey") photo of Audrey Hepburn. I've been told I look like her since before I even knew who she was. And she did win a Tony award for playing Undine, a water sprite. 'Kay, not an elf but close enough! And that pretty much sums it up for me. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2013, 2:41pm

Post #2 of 55 (299 views)
Shortcut
Audrey Hepburn is a great representative [In reply to] Can't Post

of the ethereal Elven beauty and mystique. There's no one like her :) She's wonderful in Breakfast at Tiffany's, My Fair Lady and Sabrina (later remade with Harrison Ford... both versions are great!)

My name was given to me by my grandson (graduating High School next week) when he was about 2. He identified each of his grandparents (4 separate batches) by the pet they had. He had some speech problems, so he called my dog Squid boo-boo dog. Hence, I was dubbed gramma boo-boo dog, which quickly changed to grammaboodog. I made it into dawg for here :) I'm still identified by the family as grammaboodawg. It's better than the paternal grandparents who were Grandma and Grandpa dog bone. ;)

My avatar is self-explanatory... I love Tolkien!!! And it's also the tattoo on my left wrist and the shingled decoration on my roof.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Asger
Bree

May 25 2013, 2:47pm

Post #3 of 55 (296 views)
Shortcut
My username here [In reply to] Can't Post

is just my first name: Asger. I would have liked to use Lathspell, as I've used that on several other occasions, but here it already was taken.

My avatar is actually a cover for a comic: 'S'Ranas Staff', that I started back in 1976 with my friend Rune Kidde, who now is blind. Only half the story was finished back then, but with the help of more than 20 great Danish comic-artists it's now finished and recently published in a nice HC-book, Color-cvr 64 pg B/W. 7*9 (17*23 cm). It's a story of a group of sorcerers fighting a demon, inspired by the Marvel-comics of Conan and Kull as well as Tolkiens LotR. The demon in the book is very much copied from the Balrog.

If anyone could be interested in buying the book, send me a message. It's in Danish, but I have made an English translation (with some help from Liz Milward - Schisscientist from fanfiction.com) and printed a few copies in A5. The Danish edition is 17$ or 13€, the English is 9$ or 7€. Anyone outside Denmark ordering the Danish ed will get the English for free - and there'll be some postage too.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Angharad73
Rohan

May 25 2013, 3:08pm

Post #4 of 55 (290 views)
Shortcut
My username... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was practically the first name that popped into my head when I was signing up on this site. I didn't want to use any of my other usernames that I have on other sites becasue somehow they didn't seem appropriate. And the number pertains to the year I was born in.

My current avatar (I've already changed it once or twice) is a photo I took at Waterloo this year. It shows the South Gate at Hougoumont. I finally got to visit Waterloo for my birthday this year. Being an avid (my husband prefers the term 'rabid') fan of the Napoleonic era, it was an absolute must-see. Now I will have to go back when there is no snow on the ground to really see it as it was on the day of the famous battle...

The Grey Elf
Gondor

May 25 2013, 3:12pm

Post #5 of 55 (284 views)
Shortcut
Enjoyed reading about your grandboy christening you [In reply to] Can't Post

And I have to ask -- did the FOTR actors inspire you to get the rune tattoo or were they just copying you, LOL?

As for iconic Audrey, I am blessed that people think I resemble her but truly she was lovely inside and out. We should all be as kind, generous and caring as she was.

Magpie
Immortal

May 25 2013, 3:45pm

Post #6 of 55 (285 views)
Shortcut
magpie: [In reply to] Can't Post

magpie:
noun: long-tailed black-and-white bird that utters a chattering call
noun: someone who likes to collect many different types of objects
noun: an obnoxious and foolish and loquacious talker

Take your pick.

My answer to this question (What does your user name mean?) got more and more loquacious-ish until I put it on a webpage:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...ghts/collections.htm

Although, besides the assortment of *things* I collect (detailed on that page), I'm also an addicted collector of information. I never know what will pique my interest next and I love looking up obscure bits of information when I'm not sure about something.

My avatar is my name. My footer has a link to an assortment of ones I've used in the past. I tend to switch it out every 7-10 days and I have ones for special occasions.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 25 2013, 3:52pm)

Luinnár
Rivendell

May 25 2013, 4:05pm

Post #7 of 55 (273 views)
Shortcut
Luinnár [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was thinking about signing up, I found a short list of elven root words. I spent a couple of days trying to arrange some sort of name and I finally decided on Luinnár which means Blue Flames. Blue because it's my favorite color and flames because it sounded good.

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 4:17pm

Post #8 of 55 (281 views)
Shortcut
I come from Northumberland [In reply to] Can't Post

- and people who come from there are called Geordies. I'm a lesser son of greater sires, so I spell 'geordie' with a small 'g'.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 5:19pm

Post #9 of 55 (268 views)
Shortcut
Here we go again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai is Japanese (although I'm not) and can be translated as elder-fan (otaku = obsessive fan, -sempai = senior or elder). I've been an anime fan since the 1960s, before I even knew that some of the animated programs that I was watching were imports from overseas.

My current avatar is the anime hero Space Pirate Captain Harlock.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 25 2013, 5:21pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 6:36pm

Post #10 of 55 (258 views)
Shortcut
Love your picture, Grey Elf! [In reply to] Can't Post

So elegant!

My current nick is inspired by the Lady Haleth, one of my all-time favorite ME characters; Brethil is the forest which sheltered her people and it means 'silver birch' as well, which is a tree I am most fond of; thus the picture.

I had another nick in previous years on the Old Boards - I believe dealing with nightingales (the dusk singers) but I cannot quite remember it! Crazy

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

malickfan
Gondor

May 25 2013, 6:44pm

Post #11 of 55 (260 views)
Shortcut
Mine is simple [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a mahoosive fan of (Reclusive, but very Divisive Genius) American Filmaker Terrence Malick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Malick

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000517/

The Thin Red Line probably being my favourite film, and my Avatar being a screengrab of his cameo in Badlands (notorius amongst his fans due to his secretive nature-he hasn't given a public interview about his work since 1975, and very few pictures or videos of him on set have been taken). If it weren't for his age, rights issues and the direction PJ's MIddle Earth films have taken (arguably limiiting audiience expectation for any future tolkien adaptions), I would LOVE to see him adapt The Silmarillion (the book on its own terms is unfilmable in my opinion, but I'd love to see what he'd bring to the themes and imagery of the book)...

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

The Grey Elf
Gondor

May 25 2013, 6:53pm

Post #12 of 55 (244 views)
Shortcut
Why thank you, Brethil. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having fun reading about all the various influences expressed in people's board identities. Very varied! Wink

dik-dik
Lorien

May 25 2013, 7:19pm

Post #13 of 55 (257 views)
Shortcut
Great thread, Grey Elf, it's nice and enlightening... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to learn more of the other TORNers. Smile
My username stands for an animal I 'look like' a bit, my avie is one of my edible creations.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

(This post was edited by dik-dik on May 25 2013, 7:20pm)

elaen32
Gondor

May 25 2013, 8:49pm

Post #14 of 55 (249 views)
Shortcut
Meanings..... [In reply to] Can't Post

My Username has a mixture of origins, but the main one is that I wanted to use Elen, as in one of the heroines of the Welsh Mabinogion tales. However, this name was already taken (about 3 variations on it), so I spelt it slightly differently. Why this character?- I am part Welsh and have always had a love for Welsh mythology and history and I liked the name. The 32 part, alas, is not my age, but the number of my house!
As for my avatar- newly acquired- I have always had a love for forests- hence my footer quote from one of Treebeard's poems. This picture matched up to it. The forest shown is actuallyy not far from my place of work, though a little further from my home. Every May, it is carpeted with bluebells and is quite enchanting. On a warm day, the scent is intoxicating! We go there every bluebell season and I can never resist a photo, even though I have loads.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 25 2013, 9:30pm

Post #15 of 55 (241 views)
Shortcut
My avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

comes from this Tom Scott cartoon which was published after the release of ROTK. Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 25 2013, 10:33pm

Post #16 of 55 (232 views)
Shortcut
Finally getting round to it [In reply to] Can't Post

Na Vedui (Sindarin = At Last) is because I lurked on and off for a *very* long time before finally joining TORN.
No avatar yet, because I tried a couple of times to upload one and failed lamentably! Oh well, try, try again...

CuriousG
Valinor

May 25 2013, 10:52pm

Post #17 of 55 (239 views)
Shortcut
Avatar has double purpose [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up in Colorado, and the aspen leaves there turn a beautiful gold in the fall. That's what the photo is from. It doubles as a view of Lorien, one of my favorite places in Middle-earth.

CathrineB
Rohan

May 26 2013, 12:37am

Post #18 of 55 (213 views)
Shortcut
Well let's see [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep forgetting my names on boards so I thought about keeping it easy this time so it's my name.
The icon is something I can never decide about since I love so much. So I "settled" with Kili, but by all means I love him Smile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 26 2013, 12:41am

Post #19 of 55 (199 views)
Shortcut
nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

i actually did get a lorien vibe from your avatar. nice to know it has such positive, real-life connections.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Elessar
Valinor

May 26 2013, 12:53am

Post #20 of 55 (203 views)
Shortcut
My favorite character [In reply to] Can't Post

My username represents my favorite character Strider/Aragorn/Elessar. When I was asked to join the TORn staff I decided I would use that as my handle when posting articles. So when I started posting on the boards I went with the same handle.

My Avatar is one of the images from when The Hobbit came out on Blu. I loved the image and wanted to use it. Plus I have a great collage image of The Lord of the Rings in my signature and it gave me balance.m

Magpie
Immortal

May 26 2013, 1:15am

Post #21 of 55 (203 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen my walkthroughs for avatars? [In reply to] Can't Post

You can find a link in my footer.

It should optimally be no wider or taller than 100 pixels but the site will downsize it if it's a little larger. If it's too large, it will cause a massive bug with your posts so best keep it small.

It also has to be under somewhere around 45-48 kb in size.

If you have an avatar that is within those guidelines, I'm confident you'll get it using my walkthroughs. If you don't have an avatar small enough, I can make it smaller for you if you don't know how.

Just pm me or find my email address in my profile.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 26 2013, 1:23am

Post #22 of 55 (209 views)
Shortcut
Your avatar makes me smile :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wondered where the picture came from--I thought maybe you were the artist! Thank you for sharing.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 26 2013, 1:40am

Post #23 of 55 (198 views)
Shortcut
I've had my username for 28 years :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen was a name I made up for Dungeons and Dragons years ago, using the word-list from The Silmarillion. It means "Royal Green" , using the word galen=green and Ar(a) the royal prefix. It's actually the masculine form, Ar- being the feminine; but I liked the sound of Ara- with galen better. "The Green" part of it is admittedly redundant, but I was thinking about Wizards and their colors, and green is my favorite color, so...although I have never heard of any female Wizards. Blush

My avatar changes sporadically, depending if I find something interesting or cool at the moment. I think I've used: my own picture at first; a picture of a gloomy Odin; a Winnie-the-Pooh one for April Fool's Day; other Tolkieny-themed pictures; and currently I'm going through some cute pictures by an artist named PIPO. The best one he's drawn so far is Bilbo. It would be difficult for me to keep just one avatar!

Thank you, Grey Elf! I really like your name and avatar Smile

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

The Grey Elf
Gondor

May 26 2013, 1:45am

Post #24 of 55 (188 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome, Aragalen. I hope others are enjoying this thread as much as I am.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 26 2013, 2:51am

Post #25 of 55 (187 views)
Shortcut
My username [In reply to] Can't Post

was made up for me when I was 15, by a friend of one of my older brothers. He told me it means "Child of the animals". So Kelvarhin has been a part of me for a long time Smile

I chose my avatar because I like Tigers and I thought it rather nicely fitted with my username.

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.