Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Lilly on Tauriel
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

May 25 2013, 12:02pm

Post #1 of 121 (3303 views)
Shortcut
Lilly on Tauriel Can't Post

http://www.totalfilm.com/...-desolation-of-smaug

Did anyone read the whole interview?

Btw: They need to start promoting this movie more...

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 25 2013, 12:02pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 1:02pm

Post #2 of 121 (1382 views)
Shortcut
I hope Lilly gets a better fashion consultant for the TDOS premiere. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 4:39pm

Post #3 of 121 (1318 views)
Shortcut
I disagree - [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this film is getting just the right amount of promotion - in fact I reckon they ought to tone it down a bit.
Wink

Arannir
Valinor

May 25 2013, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 121 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Non-promotion... [In reply to] Can't Post

... would be more fitting, I guess ;)

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

moonrunes
The Shire

May 25 2013, 5:06pm

Post #5 of 121 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

The character of Tauriel is reminding me of the elf Arya from the Inheritance cycle

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 25 2013, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 121 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Character [In reply to] Can't Post

Just reading what little there is on that page, I get the impression that Tauriel is Boyens' Mary Sue.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on May 25 2013, 5:17pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 5:25pm

Post #7 of 121 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.. I thought that Galadriel was Boyen's mary Sue [In reply to] Can't Post

- but I see what you mean. BTW - I love the way Lilly comes up with all those ages, of Tauriel and Legolas etc. Seems very confident of her information.

(This post was edited by geordie on May 25 2013, 5:26pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 6:14pm

Post #8 of 121 (1190 views)
Shortcut
An age for Legolas was given in the film guide. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not-canonical as far as Tolkien's timeline is concerned, but if I remember right, Legolas was given the birthyear of TA 87.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arannir
Valinor

May 25 2013, 6:19pm

Post #9 of 121 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Stuff like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is what actors and directors do for background on characters even if that background is not given in the source material. They also do it for Shakespeare characters, for example.

And particularly for Tauriel's character it is important, since as it was mentioned in the Sneak Peek, she is supposed to be a representativs of the "normal" Woodelves with a less noble ancestry than Thranduil and Legolas.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 25 2013, 8:21pm

Post #10 of 121 (1130 views)
Shortcut
killer elf? [In reply to] Can't Post

the idea of a elf as a ruthless killer, i dont think fits in with what elves stand for, by her very nature she would be the complete opposite, no?

sorry to be a pain, what orcs are these? is it a screen grab from lotr?

http://lotr.wikia.com/...217_1235487333_n.jpg

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on May 25 2013, 8:28pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

May 25 2013, 8:30pm

Post #11 of 121 (1050 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully it just means that she hates orcs with a bitter passion land fights them like the rest of the elves. I mean, isn't Legolas a pretty ruthless killer too? How much worse could it be?

DanielLB
Immortal

May 25 2013, 8:35pm

Post #12 of 121 (1050 views)
Shortcut
The picture of the Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Is from one of The Hobbit film guides. It's not from LOTR.

It's also important to remember that not all Elves are as glorious as Arwen and Elrond - Tolkien wrote Elves with all different personalities - including wicked, mad and bad Elves. Take Feanor and his sons, for instance - Curufin tried to kill Luthien and Feanor killed his own kin (even Galadriel was a rebel)! Additionally, Maeglin and Eol both did horrible deeds - helping Melkor destroy Gondolin and killing his wife while trying to kill his son, respectively.

By and large, Elves are a benevolent race. But Elves can be evil, despite being pre-disposed toward good (and this is explored outside of LOTR and TH). And they have all always been very good at fighting the enemy regardless of being "good" or "bad".

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on May 25 2013, 8:43pm)

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

May 25 2013, 8:36pm

Post #13 of 121 (1014 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the idea of a elf as a ruthless killer, i dont think fits in with what elves stand for, by her very nature she would be the complete opposite, no?

sorry to be a pain, what orcs are these? is it a screen grab from lotr?

http://lotr.wikia.com/...217_1235487333_n.jpg

This is from DOS, from a while ago

Arannir
Valinor

May 25 2013, 9:37pm

Post #14 of 121 (964 views)
Shortcut
opposite? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not at all when I look into the Sil and the history of the Elves in general. Especially when it goes against Orcs.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 9:45pm

Post #15 of 121 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Taking into account Lilly's comments... [In reply to] Can't Post

Given EL's comment about Tauriel being a "ruthless killer", if I were writing her up as a player character for the The One Ring role-playing game, I might assign her the Calling of Slayer.

You or your family have suffered a terrible loss at another's hands. You have become an adventurer take your revenge on whoever wronged you, or maybe just to leave behind a life that you are not able to enjoy any more. Yours is a difficult path to tread, as what you have been through makes it hard to give your trust to anybody.

I wonder how much background story we will get for Tauriel?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 25 2013, 9:46pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 25 2013, 9:52pm

Post #16 of 121 (951 views)
Shortcut
trie [In reply to] Can't Post

true, but to base an elfs character on the fact she kills things, seems wrong to me.

Ffnir
Rohan

May 25 2013, 10:03pm

Post #17 of 121 (943 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you changed your picture ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was completely in love with the elf on your former avatar !
I'll miss her... but my opinion was kinda biased concerning your posts because of her, so I guess it's better that way

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 25 2013, 10:11pm

Post #18 of 121 (910 views)
Shortcut
ha [In reply to] Can't Post

its odd how profile pictures can make you see posters differently!

i thought id better update it for the next film, but ill probably change it, maybe a bit too agressive!

scary profile pictures makes me think the posters are scary too lol

dik-dik
Lorien

May 25 2013, 10:21pm

Post #19 of 121 (982 views)
Shortcut
Meh. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Did anyone read the whole interview?

Honestly, I didn't. I saw the headline about a 'ruthless killer' on the first page, which made me lose interest instantly.
To be frank, with every new word I hear about her, Tauriel makes less and less sense to me as a character, and more and more resembles a character from a highly unoriginal fanfic story. I must second Jimmyfenn, I fail to see anything Elvish about her, and find it sad that it seems to be negative traits that define her character so far. So far she sounds to me like a mentally unstable assassin from a PC game, hardly seasoned or wise enough to be chieftain material.
I wonder if she's meant to be a likeable character at all.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

(This post was edited by dik-dik on May 25 2013, 10:25pm)

Arannir
Valinor

May 25 2013, 10:25pm

Post #20 of 121 (899 views)
Shortcut
definately. [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot get over Lusitanos change from Asterix to Jesus :))))

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 10:56pm

Post #21 of 121 (975 views)
Shortcut
Legolas was described as a "murderous elf" [In reply to] Can't Post

it was in Vanity Fair (the Viggo ROTK cover) or perhaps in one of Bloom issues of GQ... I thought it strange at the time, but also an apt description.

In any event, killing seems ruthless by nature. The best warriors however are known for their willingness to extend mercy -- their killing is efficient more so than motivated by hatred -- and their gentleness outside of battle.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 25 2013, 11:08pm

Post #22 of 121 (876 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

i was having a Jesus moment, so ...Time to go Messiah Wink

Before Asterix i had a flemish painting.

But i resemble more Jesus than the smartest of the gauls.

Jimmyfen : what the...LOL...is that ..does that head belong to Tauriel?? Sly Shocked

Azog Kills Tauriel...Bolg Kills his Azog, because daddy is mean to him...Bolg kills Radagast...Pirate

As to the Tauriel matter...does this mean she wont be the gaurd at the elven prison, who gets drunk on wine and falls asleep?

Hum...maybe she will get drunk with Legolas and both will fall asleep...Tongue

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on May 25 2013, 11:11pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 26 2013, 3:03am

Post #23 of 121 (787 views)
Shortcut
drunk [In reply to] Can't Post

Hum...maybe she will get drunk with Legolas and both will fall asleep...Tongue

Or get their dreak on and be to busy to notice an escape .... LOL

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Slim
Rivendell

May 26 2013, 8:29am

Post #24 of 121 (752 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not liking all the Tauriel news that I'm seeing, but I can't help but think that we may all be jumping to conclusions here...

PJ's done a decent job with everything so far, so I don't think Tauriel will be that bad.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 26 2013, 9:00am

Post #25 of 121 (796 views)
Shortcut
Here's the whole interview [In reply to] Can't Post

The entire interview doesn't have much more than the excerpt, so I hope no one bought the magazine just to read the interview.

Link

I really would like people to stop jumping to conclusions about Tauriel...wait for the finished film.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.