Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Azog and Bolg

Skaan
Lorien

May 24 2013, 4:59pm

Post #1 of 6 (650 views)
Shortcut
Azog and Bolg Can't Post

The recent thread regarding Azog has got me thinking a bit. Does anyone else think that the reason they're expanding Azog's storyline into this trilogy, is so that both Thorin and Beorn have an enemy to kill at the BOFA? Thorin wants to kill Azog because of the reasons we've already seen in AUJ, and Beorn will want to kill Bolg because they both seem to have a history with eachother (Bolg has bear paws on his shoulders, and there might be a scene wich involves Bolg torturing Beorn, wich might also explain Beorn's hatred towards orcs).

I'm personally not really a fan of Azog (although i don't really hate him either), but i think this can make for some interesting visuals/scenes at the BOFA if both Azog and Bolg are there. It could go as follows then: Thorin kills Azog => Bolg gets angry and kills Thorin => Beorn gets angry and kills Bolg.

What do you think?

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 24 2013, 9:31pm

Post #2 of 6 (232 views)
Shortcut
I can see it. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the ideal way to do it according to these movies so far. The only reserve I would have is Dain.*BOOK SPOILERS* He is going to become the king of Erebor so he needs someone to kill too and just to look bad@$$! Plus doesn't he kill Azog in the writings anyway? I love the idea of an expanded Bolg/Beorn plot line. I will explain why Beorn is driven to battle also.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

May 25 2013, 8:12am

Post #3 of 6 (193 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's death [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone always suggests the Thorin kills Azog, Bolg kills Thorin, Beorn kills Bolg order but I find that hard to believe. Thorin's death has got to be the big climatic moment of BOFA, I can't see it being followed a a relatively minor character then killing Bolg. Also, Thorin has got to do something more heroic than just be killed by Azog.

I think it's much more likely that Bolg and Beorn will have a big face off somewhere earlier in the battle not long after Beorn's arrival, which Beorn will win.

Then later, Azog and Thorin (probably with Fili and Kili involved) will fight and both mortally wound each other in some way. Azog will have the slight upper hand though and will be about to kill Thorin with his dying shot, but Dain will stop him from doing so and finish him off - allowing Thorin a more dignified death and setting up Dain as a worthy king.

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durinís Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durinís Folk walk again in Moria.Ē

(This post was edited by Hamfast of Gamwich on May 25 2013, 8:13am)

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 25 2013, 8:49am

Post #4 of 6 (163 views)
Shortcut
I dont see it like that [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the dwarves help Beorn in some way and he hammers Azog for them, and Bolg comes looking for payback.

In both direct encounters with Azog, Thorin lucked out and barely lives

I hope its not something as corny as them freeing Beorn from a bear trap or something similar

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

May 25 2013, 8:58am

Post #5 of 6 (157 views)
Shortcut
He only had one direct encounter with Azog... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in which he demonstrates quick thinking, strength and ingenuity and ends up chopping off Azog's arm. None of that was down to luck. Luck would be if Azog accidently fall over onto Thorin's sword.

The second encounter was with Azog riding a massive Warg. That's hardly a fair contest.

I do agree with the likelihood of dwarves fighting as a team, to eventually overcome Azog, but I'd be surprised if they give the moment of the final blow to a relatively minor character.

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durinís Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durinís Folk walk again in Moria.Ē

Lio
Lorien

May 26 2013, 12:06am

Post #6 of 6 (103 views)
Shortcut
We'll see Thorin/Azog and Beorn/Bolg as enemies, but what I'm curious about is how it wil tie together [In reply to] Can't Post

The way they're setting him up, it's likely that Azog will make it to the BoFA. If they go by the book (and I hope they do), Bolg will too. And Thorin and Beorn will be there for them to fight.

But how will it all play out? Will each pair fight each other separately? Or will Azog and Bolg double team Thorin, after which they perhaps will be taken out by Dain and Beorn, respectively? So many possibilities! Crazy

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.