Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An Unexpected Presence?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 23 2013, 5:10pm

Post #1 of 74 (2790 views)
Shortcut
An Unexpected Presence? Can't Post

So....

Apparently, Viggo Mortensen is in New Zealand...

Just a rumour, the sources can not be confirmed, but Jar Jar aka Justin from TORN Tuesdays, recently made the statement that a certain twitter person deleted a potencially spoilery twit concerning Mortensen's arrival in New Zealand...

Has anyone heard anything? Is it just gossip?

If true, hat could Jackson be preparing?

Is he's re shooting stuff for a new ME Final BluRay version, in which changes are done to the original films?

Is he filming new lotr material? Hobbit material?

Tie in material?

Speculate ...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on May 23 2013, 5:11pm)

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

May 23 2013, 5:17pm

Post #2 of 74 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

If he's there for The Hobbit, I wonder if we are going to see Gandalf asking the rangers to set a watch on The Shire. Another possibility could be he's present in a bookend scene, if it makes the jump to Bilbo's time in Rivendell.

If Viggo were to appear in the present day in The Hobbit trilogy that would make him in his early 20s. So if he was to appear he would have to be de-aged quite a bit to make it work.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

May 23 2013, 5:21pm

Post #3 of 74 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps "bridge" material? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love a scene in which Gandalf turned aside from Bilbo on their return journey to meet a mysterious hooded figure at Rivendell or the Prancing Pony, but that wouldn't fit within the timeframe of the Hobbit. As long as it's at the end of TABA I wouldn't mind a good bit of epilogue-style material. Nothing too extensive, though. Perhaps as a swift montage of scenes from events between the Hobbit and LotR viewed as a kind of foresight? In Galadriel's mirror? Who knows now that so much has been expanded.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 23 2013, 5:23pm

Post #4 of 74 (1047 views)
Shortcut
aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

1. we will see aragorn in a side car affixed to the bunny sled

2. mortensen is getting measured for guano prosthetics

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 23 2013, 5:25pm

Post #5 of 74 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Bridge material [In reply to] Can't Post

for an epilogue of sorts, featuring the rangers, the watch on the shire, balins entrance in moria, etc... i could see how jackson would be interested in something like that...

As to the actual narrative of TH, i think Aragorn should be kept away from it.

Maciliel, i doubt Mortensen would accept to debase his character in such a way...Tongue

(This post was edited by Lusitano on May 23 2013, 5:26pm)

Elessar
Valinor

May 23 2013, 5:29pm

Post #6 of 74 (1022 views)
Shortcut
hmmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting. My concern is taking away from the mystery of seeing him in The Fellowship of the Ring. If they can add him at the end of TABA without taking away from that I can roll with it. I just worry that they will take away from that.

(This post was edited by Elessar on May 23 2013, 5:39pm)

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

May 23 2013, 5:39pm

Post #7 of 74 (941 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

from a rational point of view, he could be just visiting the last Middle-Earth set ever Unsure.
Though that explanation is probably boring and shall be ignored. Wink

If it fits into the context I'd love a meeting between Aragorn and Bilbo, maybe on Bilbo's return journey.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

dubulous
Rohan

May 23 2013, 5:39pm

Post #8 of 74 (973 views)
Shortcut
A bit apprehensive if this is true [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Aragorn and I love Viggo but I'm not sure what possible reason they could have to add him to The Hobbit.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 23 2013, 5:42pm

Post #9 of 74 (995 views)
Shortcut
There was brief speculation in this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Link.

Who is this certain twitter person you speak of, and what did they say?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 23 2013, 5:46pm

Post #10 of 74 (950 views)
Shortcut
I knew it!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 23 2013, 5:51pm

Post #11 of 74 (955 views)
Shortcut
what in durins day is this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

if we get aragorn, why cant we have arwen? or a young gimli, hey ive got an idea, fellowship of the ring teenies! like an offshoot cartoon where there all young and learning the lessons of life

give me strength!

i hope this is a joke post.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 23 2013, 5:58pm

Post #12 of 74 (909 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, let's get Arwen, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, it's only fair. I mean, if they're going to do this, go the whole nine yards and get Liv back as well. Or just use the footage of them deleted from LOTR. Since we're getting everything else in these movies, I'd like to see Liv make a return.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

cats16
Tol Eressea

May 23 2013, 6:17pm

Post #13 of 74 (891 views)
Shortcut
I second Daniel's question. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I've learned anything about Twitter, it's that *nearly* everything is false until proven true. There is no accountability required, so one can declare just about anything as fact and have no way of confirming it. Now, if someone with personal ties to Viggo or the production was the source, than we've got something interesting here. I would be open to seeing Aragorn, whether it be in Bree or Rivendell. Maybe he can get a tiny cameo in the new vlog to make it official (similar to Christopher Lee's last year!).

(This post was edited by cats16 on May 23 2013, 6:18pm)

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 23 2013, 6:20pm

Post #14 of 74 (877 views)
Shortcut
Arwen [In reply to] Can't Post

They could have put Arwen in Rivendell tho I have not idea how old she is...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 23 2013, 6:30pm

Post #15 of 74 (868 views)
Shortcut
Well, Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree that it would remove the mystery and his proper introduction in fellowship...hum, perhaps i would prefer it to stay like that...

Daniel, Justin mentioned that if you follow the certain persons on Twitter...and if you pay attention and read in between the lines, ....you can catch some big fish sometimes.

He also mentioned that a certain post about viggo was deleted due to its spoilery nature...

He named no names. Wink Make of this what you will.

Me i love gossip. Its my feminine side.Tongue

Indeed, Cats, i have no way of proving it true or false...just speculation based on the comments a fan has made.

Jimmyfen : no, its crazy, but i didnt make it up!

Isaac, you have some inside information ?Cool

(This post was edited by Lusitano on May 23 2013, 6:32pm)

malickfan
Gondor

May 23 2013, 6:41pm

Post #16 of 74 (830 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cameos could be nice, but I don't really see anything more than that being relevant to the story of the hobbit-Aragorn I can see and agree with, but Arwen how is that relevant at all to the hobbit? Bilbo had no connexion with Arwen in the books or films of LOTR as far as I can remember, and a random shot of them meeting in rivendell would could confusing and out of place to new viewers-personally I'd rather see the time devoted to Bilbo and or Balin going to moria.

And as others have suggested Aragorn, and Arwen's entrys in FOTR are cool enough on their own without being ruined by unessesary ,and rushed mystery-killing 'hey look its those guys!' scenes-especially with dubious de aging effects added (I'm not even sure if PJ and co still have acess to the deleted scenes from LOTR-He stated in a 2010 issue of EMPIRE, that they and the outakes were locked away in Warner Bros archives).

It depends on what they do with it really...

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 23 2013, 6:49pm

Post #17 of 74 (822 views)
Shortcut
flood gates [In reply to] Can't Post

im afraid relevance has nothing to do with things,

we cant moan about arwen popping up, and accept radagast.

we cant moan about aragorn, as we have frodo!

we cant moan about gimli, if we have legolas!

thats where these films have headed im afraid.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Elessar
Valinor

May 23 2013, 6:55pm

Post #18 of 74 (801 views)
Shortcut
Mystery [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I'm so torn by how I feel. I think it fits within what we know and is in the text that Aragorn/Rangers were asked to watch the shire so it could work. I just don't know how it would play into what happens later. Its all going to be about how its done.

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 23 2013, 7:04pm

Post #19 of 74 (814 views)
Shortcut
Believe me [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't disagree. But since we're not getting The Hobbit, I fail to see how she's any less relevant than Legolas, Saruman, Galadriel, Old Bilbo, Frodo!, Radagast, undead-Azog, Witch-king, or Aragorn. No, no, if we're getting all these, we an get Arwen as well.

Truly, I think Aragorn and Arwen's entrances in FOTR are both excellent. They certainly don't need to be in these films, but who knows really.

ETA - well, jimmyfenn beat me to it.

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on May 23 2013, 7:05pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 23 2013, 7:17pm

Post #20 of 74 (808 views)
Shortcut
young Gimli is most likely to appear [In reply to] Can't Post

At least I feel in DOS EE, there is a drawing of him in a small dwarven pocket were Gloin has a drawing of Gimli and another of his wife, it appears in thefirst chronicles book and in the first AUJ trailer you can see a glimpse of it, it seems that Gloin is gonna get dazed and confused by the spiders attack (poisoned) and someone seems to be help him to get back counciousness of who he is via this pictures

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

RosieLass
Valinor

May 23 2013, 7:37pm

Post #21 of 74 (827 views)
Shortcut
Viggo can go to New Zealand if he wants to, I guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

But as far as Aragorn making an appearance in The Hobbit...

No. No. No. No. And no.

There is no place for him there. There is no need for any bridge material.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Angharad73
Rohan

May 23 2013, 7:47pm

Post #22 of 74 (759 views)
Shortcut
Old enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen would have been around 2700 by my count, having been born in T. A. 241.

But I think she only came back to Rivendell a few years later, when Aragorn was around 20, because I think that was the first time those two met and fell in love (I think she might have been off visiting gandma and grandpa in Lorien, but I don't have my books right now to check).

I admit, though, that the thought of her making a cameo appearance in AUJ did cross my mind. Thankfully she didn't.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

May 23 2013, 8:12pm

Post #23 of 74 (719 views)
Shortcut
I do... [In reply to] Can't Post

...enjoy all these comings and goings, but I don't want them to distance from the Hobbit story. I mean if this is supposed to be Bilbo's story, let it be Bilbo's one, so all these additions should only serve to connect the films.

RosieLass
Valinor

May 23 2013, 8:16pm

Post #24 of 74 (740 views)
Shortcut
"Ten wrongs don't make a right." [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I counted that correctly Tongue

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 23 2013, 8:28pm

Post #25 of 74 (709 views)
Shortcut
But they do make a trilogy! [In reply to] Can't Post

My point was simply that "relevance" really doesn't matter. The filmmakers will do whatever they do whether or not any of us find it relevant to the original book. And since this trilogy really is a prequel to LOTR, showing Aragorn and Arwen's first meeting isn't unfeasible.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.