Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Bit of a proud Mum moment :-)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 23 2013, 9:07am

Post #1 of 37 (268 views)
Shortcut
Bit of a proud Mum moment :-) Can't Post

Those who've known me for a while know that my three boys are autistic. So things can be a wee bit crazy around here, but times like this always make it all worthwhile. Heart

My eldest son is going to be learning to drive soon, so we needed to get a manual car to teach him in. We've been preparing him for it and the fact that we probably couldn't afford to buy a new car, which he was accepting.

Well today we bought his car, a brand new Kia Rio. Took him to see it after school, without telling him where we were going (boy was he twitchy!). He was so happy he was almost crying and he spontaneously threw his arms around me, hugged me really tight and yelled "You're the best!! I LOVE YOU MUM, FOREVER!! "

He then turned to his Dad and gave him a massive hug too. EvilHeart

http://s301.photobucket.com/....html?sort=3&o=0

http://s301.photobucket.com/....html?sort=3&o=1

Sorry, I still can't quite believe we were able to get the car and I'm still a bit emotional over his response.

Love My Boys! HeartHeartHeartHeart

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2013, 10:08am

Post #2 of 37 (157 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucky guy!!!!

Love the colour of that car, different but very cool.

elaen32
Gondor

May 23 2013, 10:13am

Post #3 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
Awww, that's great Kel! [In reply to] Can't Post

And what a lucky lad to have a new Rio!- I have a Kia Cee'd- one of the new models, and I'm really happy with it- tried a Rio too, which was also pretty good. So, good luck to him in his driving lessons! Also nice for you and your husband to have such a genuine response- I see a lot of kids who just expect to get these things and don't really appreciate it. You're obviously great parents!Cool
PS and did you have a little tear in your eye as well?I would have done!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

DanielLB
Immortal

May 23 2013, 10:29am

Post #4 of 37 (153 views)
Shortcut
How lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine how ecstatic he must have been. Have you taken him out in it yet? I don't really know how learning to drive works in Australia - do you teach the kids yourself or do most people have driving lessons? My driving instructor was a right meanie - oh the amount of times he would have me on the verge of tears for making a mistake.

But you forgot to mention the most important thing Kel ... what Middle-earth name have you given to the Kia Rio? Wink

sador
Half-elven

May 23 2013, 10:38am

Post #5 of 37 (157 views)
Shortcut
No photos of the hug? [In reply to] Can't Post

Congragulations Kel! You deserve all the proud Mum moments you can get.

Luinnár
Rivendell

May 23 2013, 11:43am

Post #6 of 37 (144 views)
Shortcut
I'm starting to learn how to drive too! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2013, 11:55am

Post #7 of 37 (143 views)
Shortcut
With this blue colour [In reply to] Can't Post

the name of the car has to be Vilya!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2013, 4:12pm

Post #8 of 37 (131 views)
Shortcut
You have the sweetest boys. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Young and adult, both! Heart)

I've found that autism-spectrum and borderline boys just don't go through much of a "surly teen" age - and they always are generous with the hugs. Smile

I'm curious: you needed to get a standard-shift (manual) for him to learn to drive? Is that a requirement where you live? My eldest told me that if she ever wanted to get a driver's license when she was living in Scotland, that she would have needed to get standard-shift training (the U.S. has primarily automatic-shift cars).

(I once had a standard-shift, and hubby had such trouble getting coordinated enough to use it! Laugh)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

bborchar
Rohan

May 23 2013, 7:00pm

Post #9 of 37 (133 views)
Shortcut
That's wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be a proud mother, too :D My son is only 20 months old, but he doesn't talk much, so we are getting speech therapy. I was so proud when he said "uh oh!" for the first time the other day, I almost cried. I can't wait to hear those words one day :)

silneldor
Half-elven

May 23 2013, 11:46pm

Post #10 of 37 (113 views)
Shortcut
A friend once told me kel, [In reply to] Can't Post

(before we were parents and after a decade and half of marriage) that having kids is the greatest thing in this life. I finally decided to take his word to heartWinkSmile

It's a fact kel...isn't it? It is what life is about. I love, love stories like this. I can understand your joy and can revel in it.

That is a sweet little run-aboutSmile and the color is Cool. We are talking FREEDOM hereLaugh.

But as cool as this is, (my son has his permit presently) driving is serious business. That is why i am teaching him what the union driving jobs i had taught me, and that is the Smith system of Driving. Is has just 5 basic keys which makes it really workable. Perhaps it would be good for you as well.

Please give your son a 'high 5' from us all.

Nifty...just righteously niftyLaugh

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2013, 12:41am

Post #11 of 37 (107 views)
Shortcut
Ah...sil... [In reply to] Can't Post

...why does your link go to a page filled with pics of outhouses?

Fascinating, of course, but I have the feeling it's not what you wanted to link to! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dormouse
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 11:13am

Post #12 of 37 (85 views)
Shortcut
I'm smiling with you [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely moment for you both Smile.

(My godson's autistic, so I know it isn't always easy)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24 2013, 4:03pm

Post #13 of 37 (79 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the one thing about Special Needs kids... their feeling are RIGHT THERE! WOW! I'm so happy for you. That warm glow will last a lifetime :)

sample

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

silneldor
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 4:36pm

Post #14 of 37 (78 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez. good grief. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry kel that was a hold over from something else. The new link did not take over the old dang this thingEvilBlush.

Here is the link i wanted...(checked twice)

Heart

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 9:42pm

Post #15 of 37 (80 views)
Shortcut
Racing Blue? Are you crazy? [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaugh

Next you'll be taking him to see Fast and Furious 6!

Nah, that's pretty awesome... and everyone should have to learn on a manual transmission. Very nice sweetie.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 24 2013, 10:01pm

Post #16 of 37 (79 views)
Shortcut
That's a wonderful growing up moment! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I love the color. One of our Matrixes is the same! Angelic Best and safest wishes to him!!!!!!!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 3:35am

Post #17 of 37 (68 views)
Shortcut
We don't have that over here sil [In reply to] Can't Post

but Mr Kel and I have been teaching him all of those key points, just from our own experiences. Nice to know we're going the right way Smile

He's so excited about it, had to go into the car yard again to have another look at it. It's going through the all the final sold stuff before we can bring it home. (Final detailing etc).

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 3:39am

Post #18 of 37 (68 views)
Shortcut
Thanks dernie [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they're pretty special too HeartHeartHeartHeart

You can learn to drive in an automatic here, but you're only qualified to drive an automatic and it says so on your licence. If you learn in a manual, you're qualified for both. So it's better, and cheaper, if you go for your manual licence right from the start. Even if you never drive another manual car, at least you have the option.Smile

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 4:00am

Post #19 of 37 (62 views)
Shortcut
Cheers dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

These little milestones, whilst taken as every day for most people, are such huge steps for our kids. I never thought he in particular would be able to drive. He used to just drift off so much when he was younger SmileHeart

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 4:01am

Post #20 of 37 (62 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma :) [In reply to] Can't Post

He's just over the moon, keeps looking at the photos of it and reading up on all of it's specs LOL

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 4:03am

Post #21 of 37 (70 views)
Shortcut
Well his Mum drives around in Monza Red B-) [In reply to] Can't Post

So why not? CoolLaugh

Nope none of us are into those movies *yawns*

Thanks dear. I still can't believe we managed to get it for him. *hugs*

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 4:06am

Post #22 of 37 (63 views)
Shortcut
And a scary one for his parents! [In reply to] Can't Post

Finding it hard to believe he's old enough to start driving. Still, a friend from over here had a bigger shock when she saw the photos on Facebook. Her son is in Kel jnrs year and is doing the same driver training course. She only found out he was doing it after seeing our photos and asked him, his response "Yeah... why???" LOL gotta love teenagers! Mind you I'm still wondering how he got the permission slip signed without telling her what it was about ShockedLaugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 4:11am

Post #23 of 37 (68 views)
Shortcut
Teaching them in Australia? [In reply to] Can't Post

We can do both and usually do. They have to do at least 50 hours of supervised training, which can be either by an adult over the age of 25 with more than 5 years driving experience or by a licensed driving instructor or a combination of both, which as I said before, is how most of us learn.

The fact we can teach our boys makes it much better for them, with their autism, if they ended up with an instructor like you had, it would put them off driving for life!

LOL Kel Jnr said that as it's a good looking car, we should call it Kili Kia LaughLaughLaughHeart

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 4:12am

Post #24 of 37 (63 views)
Shortcut
Thanks elaen [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I did get a bit teary EvilHeart

*hugs*

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 25 2013, 4:28am

Post #25 of 37 (63 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

my eldest didn't have any speech, other than echolalia, until he was four and he was diagnosed. Now we can't shut him up CoolSmileHeart

*big hugs*

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.