Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are the top 5 things you are looking forward too in desolation of smaug?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

flameofudun
Lorien

May 23 2013, 12:38am

Post #1 of 41 (1946 views)
Shortcut
What are the top 5 things you are looking forward too in desolation of smaug? Can't Post

Just wondering. Dol guldur,thrain and beorn are some of mine. Just curious,so let me know

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Joe20
Lorien

May 23 2013, 12:49am

Post #2 of 41 (882 views)
Shortcut
ohhh tough one, so much good stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

but i'll try.

5. The Thrain and Gandalf confrontation we've known about since the first trailer.
4. Thranduil's halls.
3. Bard and Laketown
2. Beorn.
1. Smaug!!!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 23 2013, 12:53am

Post #3 of 41 (890 views)
Shortcut
In no particular order [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's House
Dol Guldur
Naming of Sting
Barrles out of Bonds
Songs (by the people of Laketiown concerning the return of the King Under the Mountain; There is an Inn; Reprise of the Misty Mountain Song

Ffnir
Rohan

May 23 2013, 12:57am

Post #4 of 41 (807 views)
Shortcut
I think "there is an Inn" [In reply to] Can't Post

will be in AUJ's extended edition, and not in DoS

Kili
The Shire

May 23 2013, 1:08am

Post #5 of 41 (854 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I'm looking forward to [In reply to] Can't Post

Barrels out of bond
The spider battle
Legolas/Mirkwood
Bilbo and Smaug
Another amazing soundtrack!

I could probably list another five, but I'll stop there...

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

May 23 2013, 1:16am

Post #6 of 41 (771 views)
Shortcut
OOoOOooO [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to in no particular order

-the company of dwarves carrying a sleeping bombur
-Bilbo sneaking around the elven halls
-I doubt it'll be in but the moment when Bilbo sits against the secret door looking out toward Mirkwood wondering where Gandalf is...
-Thorin proclaiming himself upon arriving at Laketown
-Smaug speaks of course!

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

bungobaggins
Lorien

May 23 2013, 1:19am

Post #7 of 41 (788 views)
Shortcut
Hard to pick just 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

5. Bolg!
4. Thranduil's kingdom
3. Bilbo vs. Spiders
2. Laketown and the ruins of Dale
1. Smaug

And Howard Shore's music of course!

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 23 2013, 1:35am

Post #8 of 41 (765 views)
Shortcut
Oh, fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

The number one thing I'm looking forward to? The opening swell of the music, the MGM and New Line logos coming onscreen, and the sheer bliss of sitting down to enjoy another new 3-hour immersion in Middle-earth. Such anticipation!

But I think you mean specific things within the movie.

#1. Every scene with Thorin. Especially hoping to see some of the quieter moments with him and the princes that we've seen mentioned in interviews. Looking forward to the development of the relationship between the three of them.

#2. Thranduil. Can't wait to see him deliver some serious Elvish sass right at our beloved Dwarves.

#3. The Dwarves' arrival at Esgaroth, in the snow. Should be a seriously epic moment.

#4. The scene with Bilbo and Smaug. One of the most memorable scenes from the book, and I expect it'll be one of the best scenes in the trilogy. Can't wait to see Smaug!

#5. Any Dwarvish singing. *fingers crossed* Perhaps in Beorn's house? "Blunt the Knives" and "Misty Mountains" are two of my most favourite bits of AUJ, so I'd expect any new singing to be similarly moving.

There's lots more bits I'm looking forward to, but I'll stop with that!

Kullervo
Rivendell

May 23 2013, 1:54am

Post #9 of 41 (724 views)
Shortcut
Here's mine [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Smaug's reveal and Bilbo's conversation with him. (I have high hopes for this one after seeing the riddles scene in AUJ)

2. Dol Guldur (That is the part of this trilogy that we know least about what and how it is going to play out.)

3. Beorn. (I have a feeling that Persbrandt will be awesome in this role. And it's a giant man who can turn into a bear, so I can't see how it wouldn't be awesome.)

4. The soundtrack. (We'll get to see more new places than in AUJ, so hopefully this also means more new themes from Howard Shore.)

5. Laketown. (From what little we've seen it looks interesting, and Stephen Fry looks like a lot of fun)

And, of course, I'm very much anticipating to see everything that I cannot anticipate I will be seeingWink

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 23 2013, 2:35am

Post #10 of 41 (695 views)
Shortcut
Soooooo many things to see/know! Great thread tho! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Smaug Smaug Smaug! After seeing Star Trek I am in love with Benedict Cumberbatch! His voice we be perfect for an egotistical dragon Smile

2)Bolg! Enough of Azog! I want to know more about this character! I can't wait to see him in all his horrendous tortuous glory!

3) That darned key's story. How are they going to get themselves out of this hole they put themselves in?? I can't wait to have this resolved!

4) Dol Guldur. How are the events going to play out and how on earth will the Necromancer be portrayed?! We already know how Smaug is but what will Benny C bring to this role?

5)Gandalf's staff. How does he end up with radagast's and what on earth happens to his? I have some guesses but that's not good enough for me!

There's sooooo much more like all the iconic scenes from the book we KNOW we are gonna see. I want to know what we don't know! Wink

Olessan
Bree

May 23 2013, 3:04am

Post #11 of 41 (679 views)
Shortcut
Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

• Smaug
  • Smaug the Magnificent
  • Smaug!
  • Smaug!!
  • SMAUG

Smaug is my favourite The Hobbit character, I think. Tongue Seriously though, there's a lot I'm looking forward to and I think DoS will be my favourite of the trilogy. Beorn, Mirkwood and the elves, barrels, Laketown..!

Nira
Lorien

May 23 2013, 3:47am

Post #12 of 41 (642 views)
Shortcut
hmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo quotes: "thag you very bunch" and "never laugh at live dragons..."
2. Smaug: the look and how Cumberbatch will voice him
3. Thrain
4. Sting properly earning its name
5. Bombur speaking

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Old Toby
Gondor

May 23 2013, 4:41am

Post #13 of 41 (638 views)
Shortcut
Ah, only five? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okeydokey then:

1. Any scene with Thorin
2. Smaug!!
3. The faceoff between Thorin and Thranduil
4. Smaug and Bilbo
5. Beorn

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Slim
Rivendell

May 23 2013, 5:00am

Post #14 of 41 (636 views)
Shortcut
I'm not hard to please [In reply to] Can't Post

In no particular order:

- When Thorin is brought before Thranduil (Hope he mentions they are starving!)
- The elusive Elven party in the middle of Mirkwood (This might *not* even be included -- but I'd love to see it!)
- Barrels!
- More Dwarven humor
- BIlbo and the spiders!

duats
Grey Havens

May 23 2013, 5:07am

Post #15 of 41 (604 views)
Shortcut
Reply [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Beorn
2) Smaug
3) Beorn
4) Smaug
5) Beorn and Smaug

Angharad73
Rohan

May 23 2013, 5:11am

Post #16 of 41 (604 views)
Shortcut
Lots to look forward to! [In reply to] Can't Post

Top of my list would be Mirkwood and Thranduil's Halls (and Thranduil himself, too), Born (I wonder what they will do with his animals) and Smaug, of course.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

May 23 2013, 6:44am

Post #17 of 41 (586 views)
Shortcut
My Five [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Legolas
As much as I've come to love the Dwarves and Bilbo, Legolas still enchants me

2)Thranduil
I can't wait to see his sass!

3) Thranduil's Halls and Mirkwood

4) Dol Guldor

5) Smaug

This movie has everything I could wish for in it. Is it December yet?

DeadRabbits
Lorien

May 23 2013, 7:01am

Post #18 of 41 (584 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel, of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and Smaug, Beorn, the Dol Guldur & Necromancer supblot and Bard the Bowman. In no particular order!

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 23 2013, 7:41am

Post #19 of 41 (543 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The White council in action at Dol Guldur

Sauron

Smaug

Bard

Beorn

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

dik-dik
Lorien

May 23 2013, 7:50am

Post #20 of 41 (573 views)
Shortcut
Rather 'hoping to see', as... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I have no idea where the movie ends, or what all is going to get changed.

But my top 5 would be:
- the barrel scenes
- the journey up the Celduin with all Lake-men rushing into safety before dark
- the hidden door scenes - especially the thrush & the door opening, and then the moment Smaug almost catches the Dwarves on the doorstep (the company trying to pull up Bombur at the last moment should be so much fun :D )
- Bilbo pilfering food in Thranduil's halls, and -not much hope for this one, but worth voicing still- the downcast state of all imprisoned Dwarves up to the point of considering telling the Elvenking of their business. I saw warlike coolness in AUJ, want some defeatedness and despair now. ;)
- the dreamy doorstep night talk about the treasure & the Arkenstone, just before the dragon appears.

The halls of Erebor (nasssty Sindarin name, wonder why Thorin keeps calling his home that... Tongue ) would be on my list too, only I am not sure the company's orientation tour will be in this movie and not the third one.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

The Grey Elf
Gondor

May 23 2013, 10:27am

Post #21 of 41 (508 views)
Shortcut
Just 5? [In reply to] Can't Post

In no special order .....

Beorn and his ponderosa

Thorin telling Bilbo about the Arkenstone -- critical character scene plus RA will make his description of the Heart of the Mountain sound like poetry

Thranduil and Thorin smackdown

Barrels!

And Smaug's attack on Laketown -- the potential for epicness will be off the charts
Smile

Arannir
Valinor

May 23 2013, 10:32am

Post #22 of 41 (534 views)
Shortcut
In no particular order: [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo on top of the trees in Mirkwood.

Thranduil / Legolas interaction.

Thranduil introduction.

Arrival at Laketown.

Smaug's reveal.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

May 23 2013, 1:13pm

Post #23 of 41 (449 views)
Shortcut
Off the top of my head... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the things I am looking forward to most are:

- HS's soundtrack
- Thranduil
- Bilbo seeing the Black Emperor butterflies above the Mirkwood canopy
- Beorn
- Conversation between Bilbo and Smaug

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 23 2013, 3:11pm

Post #24 of 41 (428 views)
Shortcut
My top five [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Anything featuring Thorin.

2. Beorn and the interior of his home.

3. Thranduil and his halls.

4. Smaug.

5. The Necromancer.

plus

Dol Guldur

Barrels scene

Mirkwood

imin
Valinor

May 23 2013, 4:32pm

Post #25 of 41 (376 views)
Shortcut
5 things [In reply to] Can't Post

1. A better paced, more balanced film
2. Any characterisation of most of the dwarves (it is a trilogy after all!)
3. Azog hopefully being on screen for less time/dies.
4. improve the colour grading
5. Focus a bit more on Bilbo

Nah those are things i want but am unsure i will get, the things i am looking forward to are:

1. Smaug - can't wait to see what they have done as the design. I think they will do a great job.
2. Beorn - haven't seen anything of him and i am excited by that, along with his house which looks really good to me.
3. Mirkwood - specifically Bilbo climbing the tree and the dark oppressing nature of the place.
4. Lake town/Dale - the little we saw when in snow looked very interesting.
5. Thranduil/his halls - new person, new place.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.