Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How do you like your Steak?
Poll: How do you like your Steak?
Raw
Blue Rare
Rare
Medium Rare
Medium
Medium Well Done
Well Done
Burnt Essentially...
I'm Vegetarian
I don't eat steak
I don't mind
Thanks for making me Hungry!
View Results (101 votes)

malickfan
Gondor

May 15 2013, 7:08pm

Post #1 of 22 (757 views)
Shortcut
How do you like your Steak? Can't Post

For me its a Sirloin either Medium Rare or Medium Well Done (depends on the size) with a heaping plie of chips and a cold beer...

Brethil
Half-elven

May 15 2013, 7:15pm

Post #2 of 22 (257 views)
Shortcut
'Cow struck by Lightning'. These food polls just get yummier! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tiny bit of black sear, twitching. Yum. And yes now I am hungry Malickfan! Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 15 2013, 7:20pm

Post #3 of 22 (248 views)
Shortcut
I generally don't eat it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just not something I'm really a fan of. But if I do, it has to be well done. I will not eat it with even the slightest bit of pink.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 15 2013, 8:34pm

Post #4 of 22 (257 views)
Shortcut
I say "medium well". [In reply to] Can't Post

That way the restaurant cooks it "medium". I don't really mind "rare", but I don't like "frozen", which I've occasionally gotten when I ordered "medium".

I love New York Strip, "ripe meat off the bone"!

I really love Porterhouse, but most restaurants don't know what that is anymore. ("You mean a T-bone?" "No, I don't. Nevermind.")

And I don't care for this trend in beer marinated steak. I'll take my beer separate, thank you.

A blue cheese butter topped New York Strip, fried onion nuggets, a loaded baked potato, Texas toast, and a nice dark ale is heaven

I need to fire up my gfrill this afternoon....

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 15 2013, 9:19pm

Post #5 of 22 (236 views)
Shortcut
Medium, for my part... [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other hand, my wife insists that hers be thoroughly well-done. It makes me sad.

RosieLass
Valinor

May 15 2013, 9:26pm

Post #6 of 22 (230 views)
Shortcut
I don't want it to moo at me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do like a pink, juicy center.

Annael
Half-elven

May 15 2013, 10:53pm

Post #7 of 22 (215 views)
Shortcut
pink, not purple or grey [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but about every 6 months I treat myself to a filet mignon. I ask for "medium" even though I like it medium rare, because so many chefs don't cook it long enough to make sure the center is not raw. Alas, last night I ordered one and it backfired - there was only the faintest tinge of pink in the center.

imin
Valinor

May 15 2013, 11:06pm

Post #8 of 22 (210 views)
Shortcut
Rare [In reply to] Can't Post

Have tried it every way from blue to super well done. To me the more it's cooked the more it loses it's flavour and the tougher it becomes - both things i don't want.

At the same time if it is too rare - blue where essentially only the outer surface is cooked - (which is totally fine as in beef the bacteria are only on the surface, hence why its ok to cook it this way but not something like chicken which has to be thoroughly cooked). When blue the texture can be a little strange to me.

From being in both UK and US i would say on average a US medium rare is a UK rare.

So for me i like it charred on the outside pink for the most part and then pretty much not cooked for the very centre and hopefully nice and juicy!

For the actual cut, i think rib eye tastes the best as the slightly higher fat content adds to the flavour. I don't have steak that often though as it is expensive but i eat meat every day from some animal.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2013, 12:54am

Post #9 of 22 (206 views)
Shortcut
Stick 'em in a stew... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite way is to let cut-up chunks simmer gently amongst herbs and onions and a dash of Worcestershire sauce in a stew-pot for 2-3 hours. Then add po-tay-toes and carrots, cook another half-hour, add a cupful of green peas and heat those up, serve with home-made cornbread or soda bread...mmm, pure comfort food for chilly days. Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 16 2013, 1:01am

Post #10 of 22 (195 views)
Shortcut
What's soda bread? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 1:12am

Post #11 of 22 (204 views)
Shortcut
Re: What's soda bread? [In reply to] Can't Post

Soda bread is a quick bread that uses baking soda as a leavening agent instead of yeast. Traditional soda bread uses flour, baking soda (or potasium carbonate), salt and buttermilk. The lactic acid in the buttermilk combines with the baking soda to form carbon dioxide, causing the bread to rise. Soda bread recipes are found in Ireland, Scotland, the Americas, and parts of Europe.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 1:32am

Post #12 of 22 (196 views)
Shortcut
That sounds lovely. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't eat meat anymore, but Uncle Baggins would love that. I make him a potroast that sounds somewhat similar.

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 16 2013, 2:18am

Post #13 of 22 (190 views)
Shortcut
Oh interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here I was thinking soda as in the beverage, which is why it sounded so strange to me. It does sound like something that would go well with a stew.

silneldor
Half-elven

May 16 2013, 2:43am

Post #14 of 22 (185 views)
Shortcut
Long enough to hold the tent down [In reply to] Can't Post

in a good gailCrazy.

Actually i have not eaten red meat for close to 40yrs. But i will take a good sword fish steak every month or two.Smile

Sam20
Lorien

May 16 2013, 8:08pm

Post #15 of 22 (189 views)
Shortcut
My steak [In reply to] Can't Post

I should say ''Well done'' for I don't want to see any pink or red in it. It has do be well cooked but not too much to taste like rubber.

Elwen
Lorien

May 17 2013, 5:15pm

Post #16 of 22 (144 views)
Shortcut
Red in the middle... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not pink, not purple.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 18 2013, 8:32am

Post #17 of 22 (169 views)
Shortcut
Medium [In reply to] Can't Post

Not too bloody but not cooked through completely. A happy compromise.

In general I don't eat steak on its own though, I prefer it in a pie or stew.

tolkiennerd
Lorien

May 18 2013, 11:22pm

Post #18 of 22 (182 views)
Shortcut
medium [In reply to] Can't Post

no pink but still juicy.

Patty
Immortal

May 22 2013, 6:23pm

Post #19 of 22 (107 views)
Shortcut
I like mine JUST at the point the pink in the middle goes away... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to see any pink but I don't want it overlooked and tough. I'm a hard person to please because of this.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 22 2013, 11:19pm

Post #20 of 22 (135 views)
Shortcut
Medium Rare.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seriously been contemplating the move away from meat the last couple of years. It is hard though, because I love, love, love the taste and smell of nicely cooked medium rare steak. Cue the Homer Simpson drool...

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 23 2013, 2:17pm

Post #21 of 22 (91 views)
Shortcut
Medium rare with horseradish :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2013, 4:37am

Post #22 of 22 (76 views)
Shortcut
Rare. [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted rare. But it would actually depend on the type of steak. I could go for blue rare for the leaner sorts (or a nice sushi-grade tuna steak), but when eating a fattier sort of steak like a ribeye, I want the fat to be warmed through.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.