Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Pippin's Arc

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2013, 11:11pm

Views: 161
Shortcut
Pippin's Arc [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is Pip finally catching up to Merry here in terms of understanding the bigger Middle Earth picture? Or does he have more to go?
I think he's on the way, but not there yet. Here particularly he may be remembering Merry's words, "The fires of Isengard will spread. And the woods of Tuckborough and Buckland will burn..." and he's seeing that kind of reality right in front of him. And he may also be reacting to Treebeard personally at this moment, that Treebeard lost friends, and he can relate to that. A
t this point he may be getting more involved and on his way to a mature understanding, but he's still thinking a simplistic solution will suffice, not realizing yet just how complicated and dire the bigger situation really is. IMO, Pippin doesn't really start growing up and getting the big picture until he's separated from Merry in ROTK. I think he has taken a step here, but when he is separated from Merry I think he has to grow up very quickly.

This is a great cap, especially as it ties into this recent thread. We needed another Pippin Appreciation Post Smile! You hit it on the head, to compare the Pippin of "Yes, but what about second breakfast?" to this TTT Pippin -- and ultimately, to the ROTK Pippin of "No, Merry, I'm going to take care of you."
A very dramatic arc across the three films, indeed. So true! And as Darkstone posted he becomes the brave warrior of Gondor who follows Aragorn as King, charging the Orcs (without much hope) first among all. Yes, I love that line too, when he finds Merry, they have really come full circle haven't they? I saw the Pippin thread, and as I had really liked this cap I thought it might tie in nicely. He is such a sweet-natured character, even later, after his transformation in the War, and he remains a braver but still adorable Pip. But I agree with much said in that thread, that his arc in the films is very dramatic: that sort of little-village Second Breakfast Pippin (clueless about almost everything, and unable to comprehend how everyone doesn't live like a Hobbit) to here, with that fearful gaze forward and knowing change is coming and that others have things to lose as well as he does. Thanks Loresilme! Smile

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Subject User Time
SCOD: Pippin and the Last March of the Ents Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 22 2013, 2:44pm
    Not the last last march into certain death Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 22 2013, 6:22pm
        Pippin looking ahead Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 22 2013, 10:57pm
            Yes Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 23 2013, 1:41pm
    Not quite there yet Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme May 22 2013, 6:48pm
        Pippin's Arc Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 22 2013, 11:11pm
    I always had a soft spot for Pippin.. elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 May 23 2013, 2:00pm
        The complete arc Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme May 23 2013, 2:45pm
            You are right - It would have been nice Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 24 2013, 3:29pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.