Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #17
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 20 2013, 10:03pm

Post #1 of 32 (451 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #17 Can't Post

*Ro dashes in* Welcome, quiz-takers old and new, to the next-to-the-next-to-the-last SAST quiz in this series! Are you ready to hole up with a reluctant Hobbit and a bunch of grumpy Dwarves? Good, because this week weĺre covering Chapter 15, The Gathering of the Clouds, and the dragon-sickness is tightening its hold on Thorin. You know the routine: this quiz is CLOSED BOOK, meaning your answers must be yours and yours alone without sneaking a peek or peeking a sneak. Suspected cheaters will first be used as target practice for the Dwarves practicing archery, and then strung up by their toenails and left for raven-fodder. Questions worth one point each, quiz closes in three days, and bribes are always welcome. Enjoy!

*Ro settles just inside the gate for some serious Dwarf-watching*

1. What news does Rońc son of Carc bring the Dwarves that causes them to spring up and caper about for joy?

2. In response to Rońcĺs tidings, Thorin asks him to do two specific things. One is to bring the Dwarves news of any people or armies that draw near to the Mountain. What is the other thing Thorin asks of Rońc?

3. Several days pass between that conversation with Rońc and the arrival of the Elves and Lake-men at the Mountain. What is the main task at which the Dwarves labour hard during this interval?

4. Thorinĺs mood is particularly grim on the first night that the encampment of Men and Elves is moved close to the Gate. What do the other Dwarves do to soften his mood?

5. Thorin refuses Bardĺs request to parley and tells him that if he wants to speak again with Thorin, two conditions must be met. One is that the arms of Bard and his men must be laid down before they approach the threshold of the Gate. What is the other condition?

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 20 2013, 10:06pm

Post #2 of 32 (245 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #16 ANSWERS & RESULTS [In reply to] Can't Post

*Ro comes in with a basket of big shiny stars to hand out* A big thank-you to all 26 of you who played along in Quiz #16! Average score was about a 3.7, so give yourselves a big pat on the back ľ well done! Clearly I need to make these a little harder. Tongue As always, do let me know if you have any questions or compliments. Wink

Answers

1. When the company takes refuge in the cave from the thunder-battle, whatĺs the first thing Oin and Gloin want to do?

ôOin and Gloin wanted to light a fire at the door to dry their clothes, but Gandalf would not hear of it.ö

1. What does Bilbo dream of, as he sleeps in the cave?

ôHe dreamed that a crack in the wall at the back of the cave got bigger and bigger, and opened wider and wider, and he was very afraid but could not call out or do anything but lie and look. Then he dreamed that the floor of the cave was giving way, and he was slipping ľ beginning to fall down, down, goodness knows where to.ö

2. Fill in the next line (which is the last line of this stanza) of the goblinsĺ song:
Clap! Snap! the black crack!
Grip, grab! Pinch, nab!
And down down to Goblin-town
You go, my lad!
[or Ho, ho! My lad! Or Below, my lad!]

3. After the Dwarves and Bilbo are captured by goblins, who are they brought before?

ôThere in the shadows on a large flat stone sat a tremendous goblin with a huge headůö ô ĹWho are these miserable persons?ĺ said the Great Goblin

4. What are the goblinsĺ names for Orcrist and Glamdring?

ôThey [the Elves of Gondolin] had called it Orcrist, Goblin-cleaver, but the goblins called it simply Biter.ö ôThis swordĺs name was Glamdring the Foe-hammer, if you remember. The goblins just called it Beater, and hated it worse than Biter if possible.ö

Results

5 Points
Angharad73
Aragalen the Green
Brethil
dernwyn
Elessar
Eowyn of Penns Woods
Esmeralda
Maciliel
sador
Silverlode

4 Points
elaen32
Elwen
entmaiden
Eowyn3
grammaboodawg
The Prancing Pony
Ziggy Stardust

3 Points
Ataahua
Elberbeth
Nira
Riven Delve
SirDennisC

2 Points
Arandiel

0 Points (though, as usual, they werenĺt really tryingů)
Darkstone
Eruwestial37
Ryouko

Invisible Extra Credit to: Darkstone; dernwyn; elaen32; Elberbeth; Elwen; Eruwestial37; Esmeralda; grammaboodawg; Maciliel; Nira; ryouko; SirDennisC

Double IEC to Angharad73 for yet another delightful set of hair-themed answers (got a bit stuck at the mention of Thorinĺs hair in the firelight, though); Riven Delve, though after the third mention of drenched Dwarves and the two pictures of Thorinĺs drenched hair, Iĺve forgotten why; Brethil for another brilliant poem and a very distracting look at that evil but tasty twin; to Arandiel, also for the great hair-themed answers; to Eowyn of Penns Woods, our knitting queen, for another creative knitting theme; to sador for his elaborate and very funny answers; and to Silverlode, for the great answers plus Calvin & Hobbes cartoons ľ I love Calvin & Hobbes!

Eruwestial37
Rohan

May 21 2013, 12:58am

Post #3 of 32 (207 views)
Shortcut
This is a hard one [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Ro!

1) Roac tells the Dwarves that there will soon be a Mr. Middle Earth contest and they need to choose a contestant from the Dwarves. Thorin immediately washes his hair. Again.

2) Thorin asks him to sneak into the Elven King's halls and grab his hair potions. No sense taking any chances that the "pointy eared monarch" might outshine him at the contest!

3) They are washing their hair, working out and getting as gorgeous as they can. No doubt Ro is enjoying this.Evil

4) They assure him (with fingers crossed behind their backs) that he is the fairest of them all.

5) They must all shave their heads. That should guarantee his win! Though Dwalin wonders about that. He thinks bald is sexy.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 21 2013, 1:29am

Post #4 of 32 (209 views)
Shortcut
Answers#17 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What news does Rońc son of Carc bring the Dwarves that causes them to spring up and caper about for joy?

Ding! Dong! Smaug is dead!

2. In response to Rońcĺs tidings, Thorin asks him to do two specific things. One is to bring the Dwarves news of any people or armies that draw near to the Mountain. What is the other thing Thorin asks of Rońc?

Send word to Dain Ironfoot.

3. Several days pass between that conversation with Rońc and the arrival of the Elves and Lake-men at the Mountain. What is the main task at which the Dwarves labour hard during this interval?

Gathering treasure.

4. Thorinĺs mood is particularly grim on the first night that the encampment of Men and Elves is moved close to the Gate. What do the other Dwarves do to soften his mood?

Sing and play music.

5. Thorin refuses Bardĺs request to parley and tells him that if he wants to speak again with Thorin, two conditions must be met. One is that the arms of Bard and his men must be laid down before they approach the threshold of the Gate. What is the other condition?

The Elves must leave.

Kaede
Rivendell

May 21 2013, 2:16am

Post #5 of 32 (216 views)
Shortcut
And the answer is... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What news does Rońc son of Carc bring the Dwarves that causes them to spring up and caper about for joy? Smaug is dead

2. In response to Rońcĺs tidings, Thorin asks him to do two specific things. One is to bring the Dwarves news of any people or armies that draw near to the Mountain. What is the other thing Thorin asks of Rońc? Take news to his kinsman Dain.

3. Several days pass between that conversation with Rońc and the arrival of the Elves and Lake-men at the Mountain. What is the main task at which the Dwarves labour hard during this interval? Building a wall at the main gate. Except Fili and Kili who are sent to fetch the surviving ponies (always the ponies?) and supplies. They are shocked when they return and see what the others have done....

4. Thorinĺs mood is particularly grim on the first night that the encampment of Men and Elves is moved close to the Gate. What do the other Dwarves do to soften his mood? sing him a soothing song.

5. Thorin refuses Bardĺs request to parley and tells him that if he wants to speak again with Thorin, two conditions must be met. One is that the arms of Bard and his men must be laid down before they approach the threshold of the Gate. What is the other condition? The elves must decamp to the forest. (And sing soothing songs to ponies.)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 21 2013, 3:47am

Post #6 of 32 (209 views)
Shortcut
A special version of "The Raven" for you this week Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for all the IEC Heart from last week! And for once again giving us some lovely Hobbity fun!

Croaked the Raven, Smaug is dead; the great, the beast the wyrm is dead!
Verily they had done this thing, and Thorin was indeed the King.
So merrily they danced and cheered, they cheered the death of he they feared.
Yet doubts and fears in Thorin ring, and to this bird of ancient wing,
He beseeches him that very day to fly away where iron rings -
To where Dain the Dwarf does rule as King.

Croaked the Raven, now shall I fly, far to the Iron Hills I fly.
The gate all broken, bent, on hinge; Dwarves pound stone with mighty swing.
To fix the door that Smaug once broke, with fire and ash and rage and smoke.
Sickness blinds Thorin from within; they craft a song to please their King
And happily he nods and smiles and thinks of allies on the wing -
Fetching Dain to rally for the King.

Croaked the Raven, look far off now, they come before you, not to bow -
seeking treasure hidden within, gold and silver and shining ring.
Thorin shouts from up on high, "you shall not have it by and by!
you shall not have a single thing, until you lose that Elvenking!"
Tales now follow both dark and dim and to the mountain change they bring -
Where Dain the Ironfoot now rules as King.

Sad tales aside - best King EVER !!!! Cool

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 21 2013, 4:04am

Post #7 of 32 (189 views)
Shortcut
*prepares the Mediocrity Bench* [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bird-poo of gold. (Dwarven reinforcements are coming.)

2. To quit singing 'Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to die we go'. (Keep an eye out for the dragon?)

3. Preparing a Showgirls (ShowDwarves?) dance to entertain the new arrivals. (Building a wall in front of the main entrance to the mountain.)

4. Create a throne out of gold coins. It looked great until Thorin tried to sit on it...

5. Bard provide reciprocal entertainment involving a brass band, a parasol and a feisty gerbil. (Come with more humility before the King Under the Mountain.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronĺs master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Angharad73
Rohan

May 21 2013, 5:54am

Post #8 of 32 (188 views)
Shortcut
Sooo... [In reply to] Can't Post

...clouds are gathering? Well, looking outside my window, that seems about right. Thoroughly depressing weather here. Need something prettier to think about... Ah yes, Thorin's hair glinting in the firelight - that might serve as a suitable anti-depressant... *sigh*

1. News? Rońc doesn't bring news at all! He brings a comb and a brush for Thorin! Because Thorin at that point in the story is getting quite frustrated with the tangles in his hair. (Now, don't ask me why a raven would have a comb anda hairbrush available, but this one does...) And while watching Thorin brush out his delightful locks, Rońc, chatty old bird that he is, might have mentioned conversationally that Smaug was actually dead.

2. Thorin asked Rońc to send messages to the Dwarves in the north, especially to Dain. And it must be mentioned here that as a little thank-you Thorin gave Rońc a couple of his hairs (there were some stuck in the hairbrush after his extended grooming session), reminiscent of Galadriel's later gift to Gimli (do all Dwarves have some sort of hair-centric obsession?), which pleased Rońc very well, as he had a very practical use for these hairs (unlike Gimli, I suspect - I mean, what do you do with three very long hairs?) - the bird wanted to use them to line his nest with them for Dwarven hair is know for its excellent insulating properties.

3. Well, there were several tasks to accomplish - first go and find some shampoo, then wash and braid their hair (they don't all have hair as nice as Thorin's, of course, whose hair, I suspect, might actually be self-braiding because his braids never seem to come loose). And in between they might have done some fortifications to the main entrance to the mountain.

4. Scalp massage. That's all I can say. It helps. They might have been singing while doing that.

5. Condition? No, we are talking about conditioner here, right? Thorin needs a lot of that to keep his hair as nice and shiny as it is, I imagine. He might have also wanted to get rid of the Elves that were camping on his front lawn. Or something like that.

sador
Half-elven

May 21 2013, 7:14am

Post #9 of 32 (204 views)
Shortcut
May I google a bit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lemme see... this was around October. In which year was The Hobbit published? 1937, right?
Ah! I've got it - the Yankees retained their World_Series title - beating the Giants again! Now that is news which would make any dwarf happy...

Of only slightly less importance were the news of that other famous hit - Bard's snipe at Smaug, and the consequent demise of the dragon.

He ran out of his Avalon Rosemary Volumizing Shampoo (no. 5 here; by the way, Thranduil used no. 10).
So he asked to send birds to all dwarves within marching distance, telling them of his relocation, but also of his present predicament. Especially to Dain.

Repaing the gate and building a new wall before it. After all, if Smaug couldn't even bother to patch his armour, would he repai the gate he himself had smashed?
Also, with his new-found leisure, Thorin decided to angle for some extra WXPs.

They improved the plumbing.
(I hope this is not against the site's TOS - I really found it by googling, and have neither interest nor prior knowledge of this product)

They also searched the 'net for some nice Soft Mood playlists. Having found none to his liking, they had to compose the songs for themselves.

Remove the competition! Send the Elvenking away!

He might be no match for Thorin's hair - but he could sure teach him a thing or two about archery!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 21 2013, 10:36am

Post #10 of 32 (209 views)
Shortcut
*do re mi fa so la ti do* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm feeling tuneful today.....Cool

Rońc: Let the joyous news be spread, the wicked old Wyrm at last is dead!
Dwarves: Ding Dong! The Wyrm is dead!
Oin: Which old wyrm?
All: The wicked wyrm! Ding Dong! The wicked wyrm is dead!
To Fili and Kili:
Wake up you sleepyheads! Rub your eyes, get out of bed
Wake up, the wicked wyrm is dead! He's gone where the goblins go
Below, below, below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out
Ding Dong the merry-o, sing it high, sing it low
Let them know the wicked wyrm is dead!

Thorin: As King Under the Mountain Lonely, in the Dwarven realm of Erebor, I welcome you most regally.
Balin: But we've got to verify it legally. To see...
Thorin: To see?
Balin: If he...
Thorin: If he?
Balin: Is morally, ethically
Dori: Spiritually, physically
Dwalin: Positively, absolutely
All: Undeniably and reliably Dead
Bilbo: That friendly thrush so full of vim, flew over and examined him.
And he's not only merely dead, he's really most sincerely dead.
Thorin: Then this is a day of Independence for all the dwarf lords and their descendants!
Balin: ...If any.
Thorin: Yes, let the joyous news be spread: The wicked Old Wyrm at last is dead!

To take a message to Dain. Upon receiving the news, Dain sent out this proclamation to all his people:

Start spreading the news
We're leaving today
I want to be a part of it
Erebor, Erebor

These ironsoled boots
Are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it
Erebor, Erebor

I want to wake up in that city
That lies so deep
And find I'm king of the hill
Top of the heap

These Iron Hill blues
Are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In Erebor

If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you
Erebor, Erebor

To build a stone wall across the Mountain's entrance. While working, the Dwarves entertained themselves in song.

Balin:
Some people say a dwarf is made outta mud
A poor dwarf's more than just muscle and blood
Gristle and grit and earth and song
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You stack sixteen stones, what do you get
Another day older and no kingdom yet
Oh Durin don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to reclaim Erebor

Bofur:
I was born one mornin' where the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked down the mine
I dug sixteen tons of mithril and gold
And the mine boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"

Thorin:
I was born majestic, I was destined to reign
In greatness and glory 'till the old dragon came
I was raised in the Mountain lit by Arkenstone-shine
Cain't no sassy Elf-lord make
me toe the line

Dwalin:
If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta orcs didn't, a lotta orcs died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you
Then the left one will

They sing him a lullaby, naturally.

Hush King Thorin, don't you groan
We're gonna find you an Arkenstone

If that Arkenstone don't shine
We're gonna dig you a mithril mine

If that mithril mine should fail
We're gonna make you some gilded mail

If that gilded mail should cloy
We're gonna make you a magic toy

If that magic toy don't fly
We're gonna mix you some nice hair dye

If that hair dye don't look good
We're gonna sew you a sky blue hood

If that sky blue hood don't fit
We're gonna make you a throne to sit

If that royal throne falls down
You'll still be the best-looking Dwarf in town

This didn't go over quite as well as they'd hoped, so they had to make up another one about how great and marvelous everything was going to be in his future reign.

When the Elves go marching home again
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give them a hearty send-off then
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The Mountain will echo our joyful shout
When we see the back of the last Elf scout
And then I'll parley
When the Elves go marching home

You'll hear no hint of a mournful sigh
Hurrah! Hurrah!
When we stand here waving them all goodbye,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
In spite of all of their claims so bold
They'll get no glimpse of our precious gold,
And then I'll parley

We'll plan ourselves a Jubilee,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
With each coin counted three times three,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
You plead for my generosity
To counter the dragon's ferocity
And so I'll parley

We'll talk of friendship on that day,
Hurrah, hurrah!
But set aside your armed array,
Hurrah, hurrah!
And let each one perform some part,
To give our peoples a brand new start
And then I'll parley

Songs parodied:
Ding Dong The Witch is Dead from The Wizard of Oz by Harburg and Arlen
New York, New York by Kander and Ebb
Sixteen Tons by Merle Travis
Hush Little Baby (Mockingbird), Traditional Folk Song
When Johnny Comes Marching Home, Traditional melody, Lyrics by Patrick Gilmore

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zÔram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nÔla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21 2013, 1:41pm

Post #11 of 32 (181 views)
Shortcut
Here we go!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is dead, and the bbq block party starts at 4.

To go tell the Dwarves from the Iron Hills to come quickly... and to let everyone know he'll bring the potato salad.

Repairing the front gate (?), sorting the treasure (?), and looking for taters.

What else? PARTY! They start singing.

The armies should leave. Begone! Get your own tater salad!

Thanks lots for these awesome SASTs, Ro :) I take a flying guess at most of them, but these are always so much fun!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 21 2013, 3:17pm

Post #12 of 32 (177 views)
Shortcut
*LOVE* your Sixteen Tons renditions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Esmeralda
Bree

May 21 2013, 4:02pm

Post #13 of 32 (168 views)
Shortcut
Capers? I prefer gherkins myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ding-dong the dragonĺs dead, Smaug is dead, in the deep lake bed. Ding-dong the wicked Worm is dead!

Take a message to Dain of the Iron Hills. Ask him to march his warriors to the mountain. And tell him to bring the BIG axe.

Building a wall across the front gate of Erebor. And putting out a few potted plants. Geraniums, nasturtiums, that sort of thing. A touch of color is always nice.

Sing a song of sixpence. Or six million pence. For music hath charms to soothe the savage dwarf. Especially a Mountain King who has come into his own.

Dye Thranduilĺs hair bright pink and make him wear it in pigtails. Then send him home in a little red wagon pulled by My Little Ponies.

Or just tell all the elves go away. And no singing the tra-la-lally song!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 21 2013, 4:35pm

Post #14 of 32 (170 views)
Shortcut
Raven-fodder? [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't that what happened to the 49ers in the Super Bowl?

Oh well, never mind.

Ding dong, the dragon's dead!

To take the news to Dain and ask him to bring his army...?

Building a wall over the front entrance, diverting the stream, and otherwise making Erebor a fortress equipped to withstand a siege.

Sing and play music...?

The Elvenking has to clear out. This business is no concern of elves... Wink

Just in case bribes are worth anything...I believe that the arms Thorin is referring to here are Ro's. Angelic

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

May 21 2013, 7:02pm

Post #15 of 32 (159 views)
Shortcut
Hope I'm not too late for this week! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin wants the news taken to all his kin, but especially to Dain, who was known to travel with a goodly supply of hair product.

They build a stone wall across the front entrance to Erebor, and partially dam the stream so they can bathe alfresco. Maybe this part will make it into the movie!

The dwarves sing of the great future for the new King Under the Mountain. Well, no one said they were seers.

Actually the first condition was that Thranduil and his crew should leave on pain of losing his long golden locks(because Thorin would brook no one who had prettier hair than him)

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

elaen32
Gondor

May 21 2013, 10:06pm

Post #16 of 32 (147 views)
Shortcut
Ravenses!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

What is it with dwarves and capering? I've never heard of anybody else (except Jack in Jack & Jill went up the hill) capering, except for Tolkien dwarves? Gimli does a lot of capering in LOTR by all accounts. Anyway, big news of the day is that Smaug is dead, he has ceased to be, he is no more, he is a late dragon. Most people would dance, jump in the air- but no, the dwarves caper!
2. In response to Rońcĺs tidings, Thorin asks him to do two specific things. One is to bring the Dwarves news of any people or armies that draw near to the Mountain. What is the other thing Thorin asks of Rońc? "Get us a new hairbrush and some hair care products would you? And I suppose you'd better let cousin Dain know that he is summoned too"

3. Several days pass between that conversation with Rońc and the arrival of the Elves and Lake-men at the Mountain. What is the main task at which the Dwarves labour hard during this interval? Crocheting doilies for their surfaces- one can never have too many doilies! Although that spoilsport Thorin told them to build a wall/barricade across the entrance to Erebor, so they did that too

4. Thorinĺs mood is particularly grim on the first night that the encampment of Men and Elves is moved close to the Gate. What do the other Dwarves do to soften his mood? They had a Gilbert & Sullivan soiree, based around washing and beautifying Thorin's hair. "Braid the raven hair, Weave the supple tress, Deck the maiden, er I mean Thorin fair In his loveliness" (from the Mikado if you didn't know) So , yes, they had an evening of song

5. Thorin refuses Bardĺs request to parley and tells him that if he wants to speak again with Thorin, two conditions must be met. One is that the arms of Bard and his men must be laid down before they approach the threshold of the Gate. What is the other condition? Mmm, Bard's arms or Thorin's arms?- choices, choices. Ahem, anyway, I think the other condition was that the elven king had to go home, preferably with his hair mussed or, even better, shaved off!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

elaen32
Gondor

May 21 2013, 10:09pm

Post #17 of 32 (158 views)
Shortcut
Priceless, Silverlode!!! ROFL!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

May 21 2013, 11:31pm

Post #18 of 32 (152 views)
Shortcut
O Great and Terrible Keeper of the Gate! [In reply to] Can't Post

The gift baskets have arrived! Fruit, crackers, cheese, and a supply of shampoo and conditioner! All to celebrate the demise of Smaug.

More gift baskets--especially shampoo and conditioner, and some pretty smelly soaps (thank goodness). And to tell Dain of the Iron Hills that they need his aid.

Washing and styling their hair. In between, building a wall across the front Gate into the Mountain.

Well, a shampoo, facial and manicure really lightens his spirits, along with music and songs.

The other conditioner? That they give up their blow dryers and curling irons, along with a portion of gold to help the people of Laketown.

As always, great Quiz! Thanks, Roheryn! Smile

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2013, 12:07am

Post #19 of 32 (151 views)
Shortcut
Bwhaahahahaa! *thwacks on back* [In reply to] Can't Post

Way awesome, Silverlode! :D TOO MUCH TALENT!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22 2013, 1:58am

Post #20 of 32 (146 views)
Shortcut
Watching serious Dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess they were, at this point!

The pony bearing the load of shampoos, soaps, and other necessary toiletries managed to evade Smaug's marauding, and is on its way back to them! Also, Smaug has been killed someplace down to the south.

To send word to Dain in the Iron Hills. And to keep an eye out for any passing ice-cream trucks.

Taking inventory of the treasure. Ori especially is put to task with this. And during breaks, they build a stone wall across the main entrance.

Stage a production of "Snow White", a farcical comedy sure to bring a smile from him, especially the way the Dwarves have it end. And they start off with some good ol' Dwarven music. I wonder if they'll have Fili and Kili play harps in the movie, or give them each an "axe"...

An entire food service with Rachael Ray at the head. And to get rid of those Elves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22 2013, 2:00am

Post #21 of 32 (141 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Tis a songful of answers! Thorin would be most pleased! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22 2013, 2:10am

Post #22 of 32 (142 views)
Shortcut
Tuneful indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfect, Silverlode! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2013, 2:16am

Post #23 of 32 (159 views)
Shortcut
The best praise indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
'Tis a songful of answers! *Thorin would be most pleased!* Smile

Thanks so much Dernwyn! AngelicHeart

(Though Mr. Poe maybe not pleased quite so much...heehee!)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 22 2013, 4:08pm

Post #24 of 32 (132 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The band is getting back together!

Send out flyers for the concert.

Choreography.

Agree to put in his harp solo.

ôNo photography or recording will be allowed during the concert, including the use of palantirs.ö

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

May 22 2013, 9:55pm

Post #25 of 32 (138 views)
Shortcut
My next-to-the-next-to-tthe-last answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I'll go for some classic joyous Middle-Earth news: Either the eagles were (though I don't think Rońc could have known that yet), or the wind was turning (which wouldn't have helped them much, except if Elves were prone to catch a cold), or they were taking the Hobbits to Isengard (though Merry and Pippin were not even born yet, so that is out of the question, too). So he just told them that Smaug the Magnificint had been slain, which served their purpose rather well.

2. To alert his cousin Dain to their predicament.

3. They are building a high wall to block the entrance to the mountain and defend themselves (and should anyone feel the need to test gravity by throwing a Hobbit several meters down, well ... that would be an ideal spot. But of course no one would do such a stupid, illogical thing).

4. They play a lovely tune on their instruments (my respects for keeping them hidden from Thranduil and freeing them of all the cobwebs) and sing a very dwarvish and optimistic song.

5. Thranduil was to shave off his fair elven hair and make it into a pillow whereupon Thorin could lay his kingly head.

Until next week Smile

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.