The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thorin's Company

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 21 2007, 3:53am

Post #1 of 7 (944 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's Company Can't Post

Do you think the Film will have the same number of dwarves as in the book?

Do you think, in some way, The Hobbit movie will follow through on the joke set up by JRRT's book and Jackson's films that one or more of the dwarves might be female? I'm not saying they will overtly state that there is a female in the company, but maybe just leave it inconclusive in the case of one or two of the company (as even the Rankin Bass Hobbit slyly did)

Personally, I suspect Bifur and Nori.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 21 2007, 4:00am

Post #2 of 7 (726 views)
Shortcut
Which Rankin-Bass dwarves do you think were women? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they will include thirteen dwarves --lucky number and all-- and as I've said before, the model for presenting the thirteen dwarves should be the way Akira Kurosawa managed the nine junior samurai in Sanjuro (1962). That is a great action comedy, by the way, with a heart-stopping ending.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 21 2007, 4:03am

Post #3 of 7 (712 views)
Shortcut
bridge [In reply to] Can't Post

if they are focusing in the two films on bridging the two stories. Balin is going to be a major character to rival Thorin. Rereading, I was reminded of how much character detail Tolkien givs him in the Hobbit.

Galadriel Lady Of Light
The Shire

Dec 21 2007, 4:12am

Post #4 of 7 (700 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever They End up doing I just hope they do as good a job on the Hobbit as PJ done on The Lord Of The Rings Films

Patty
Immortal

Dec 21 2007, 6:16am

Post #5 of 7 (695 views)
Shortcut
I think they will have all the dwarves, but I don't think... [In reply to] Can't Post

all of them will have speaking roles.

For Gondor!

tossingthedwarf
The Shire

Dec 21 2007, 7:19pm

Post #6 of 7 (667 views)
Shortcut
dwarf woman [In reply to] Can't Post

You can tell the difference, the buttons on their armour are on the left.

at last a film with dwarves

Patty
Immortal

Dec 21 2007, 9:33pm

Post #7 of 7 (663 views)
Shortcut
And their flys are never undone... [In reply to] Can't Post

as opposed to the flies circling their beards.

For Gondor!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.