Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Very nice interview with RA

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 19 2013, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 15 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Very nice interview with RA Can't Post

Apologies if it has been posted before, but thought some on here may not have seen it. The Popcorn Taxi interview took place before the Q & A session in Sydney, apparently.

http://www.popcorntaxi.com.au/2013/05/blog/interview-richard-armitage- mr-majestic-of-the-hobbit/

TolkienLocked
The Shire

May 19 2013, 11:46pm

Post #2 of 15 (601 views)
Shortcut
Ooo interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kaede
Rivendell

May 20 2013, 12:17am

Post #3 of 15 (546 views)
Shortcut
Quite nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting...yes please to more insightful interviewers like this one!

Balin/Kili: scholar/warrior, serious/playful, sharp mind/sharp aim, master/padawan, age/youth, light/dark, lives/....

Súlimë
Rivendell

May 20 2013, 1:47am

Post #4 of 15 (474 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Glorfindela! [In reply to] Can't Post

RA always gives great interviews, and this one actually has some really interesting questions :)

ShireHorse
Rohan

May 20 2013, 10:18am

Post #5 of 15 (414 views)
Shortcut
Here's a clickie, Glorfindela: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.popcorntaxi.com.au/...estic-of-the-hobbit/

Yes, it is a nice interview. He's very relaxed and I like the fact that the interviewer has included that totally irrelevant exchange about phone cases at the beginning, LOL.

Other things I enjoyed:

1. Does he really check out various forums and do we really find out things about him before he does?! Actually, I think that's just a little humorous gesture to the fans to show he values our opinion.

2. He makes another mention of Thorin's dragon sickness.

3. Love the way he values PJ's "lack of empathy", LOL! He's said in the past that he would like to move on to directing. I think he'll have to toughen up.

4. He's showing interest in performance capture of non human beings. Wonder if he's thinking about Smaug?

5. Loved the idea that he had the image of a bison in his head when he tried to project Thorin. Wonder if that came before or after the fur coat which bulked up his shoulders?

6. More interesting things about fighting with Orcrist and thinking about the sword's character.

7. Acting is better than,,,,"Everything else in life. I wouldn’t swap it for anything."

8. They apparently haven't decided on the climax of the second film yet. And so, why are we guessing about it, LOL?!

9. I would love to know more about the Stephen Colbert/Phillipa Boyens Tolkien competition in NZ with Stephen Fry adjudicating.

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 20 2013, 11:02am

Post #6 of 15 (343 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much for making the address 'clickable'! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can never work out how to do that.

Yes, I thought that reference to the bison was particularly illuminating. In fact, all in all this is one of the best of RA's Hobbit interviews – the interviewer asked some interesting questions. Smile

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 11:51am

Post #7 of 15 (350 views)
Shortcut
It was posted on Main [In reply to] Can't Post

Here as a follow up to our frontpage transcript also posted on Main here

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 20 2013, 12:51pm

Post #8 of 15 (320 views)
Shortcut
Aha! It's on the main boards, which is why I missed it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't go there…

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on May 20 2013, 12:57pm)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 1:09pm

Post #9 of 15 (320 views)
Shortcut
You should [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a lot more posted over there, that's more general, like some of these interviews, which are never posted in here, mainly because they get more notice from all the message board members. Smile

As a small heads up, if you want to find out if something has been posted before use the search button up above *points up* and set it to search all boards in both post and body. I sometimes wish others had pointed that out to me when I first started posting, would have saved me a lot of embarrassment BlushLaugh Blush But, then I'm very good at embarrassing myself LOL! BlushLaugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

dormouse
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 4:01pm

Post #10 of 15 (322 views)
Shortcut
My favourite line by far...... [In reply to] Can't Post

PT: Seriously. It’s extraordinary. There’s Martin Freeman and all his Sting-waving, but there will always be a bunch of people who will want to be Thorin Oakenshield rather then the Hobbit.
RA: Good. Little kids running around being Thorin Oakenshield. And very well-educated ladies.

(for the throwaway line at the end.....)

Thanks for the laugh RA/Thorin, whoever you're being today! Wink

ShireHorse
Rohan

May 20 2013, 4:23pm

Post #11 of 15 (310 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I think I missed out his most significant remark [In reply to] Can't Post

because I was sidetracked by all his comments about intelligent, well-educated ladies, LOL!

How about this: "I started training again at the beginning of this year because the biggest battle of the entire trilogy, and possibly something bigger than you may have seen in Lord of the Rings, the Battle of the Five Armies, is coming and we haven’t shot a single move of it yet."

Does this mean that The Bot5A will be bigger/more spectacular than the Pelennor Fields? And, do we want this? If seen in proper order, surely the story should get progressively more amazing as we move from film to film? I can just imagine young newbies in a few years' time who have never seen LotR watching the 6 films in chronological order and being disappointed because the first big battle is the best one.

But, I can imagine that this might be what PJ is aiming for in TH because he wants to go out on a bang or because he's had bigger and better ideas since LotR or because he genuinely thinks that the Bot5A was, indeed, the most spectacular.

I've been quite happy for TH not to be so epic as LotR because that's the way the book is written. I know that it begins to head in that direction as we get towards the end of the story and I believe that, because of the deaths, it will be a more moving occurrence, but does it really need to be bigger and better?

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 20 2013, 5:17pm

Post #12 of 15 (254 views)
Shortcut
I think BOFA will probably be bigger/better than Pelennor Fields [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Because PJ won't be able to contain himself.

2. Because the technology to produce the effects has moved on a bit since ROTK came out. When one looks at the BoPF now, it does seem very blurred in places, though the effects were groundbreaking in their time.

Can't say I'm exactly looking forward to the deaths – and in particular one of them. Unimpressed

dormouse
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 6:00pm

Post #13 of 15 (233 views)
Shortcut
Well, I suppose.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the Battle of Five Armies has some inherently spectacular elements. Pelennor Fields was men and orcs; Five Armies will have an elf army and a dwarf army as well as human, and then there are bats, eagles, the sudden entrance of the King under the Mountain, a certain giant bear.... Even in the book it's very dramatic. And traumatic.

That said, it doesn't have to go far to be the biggest battle in the entire trilogy as it's actually the only battle - though of course we've already had Azanulbizar in flashback and who knows what they're planning to do with Dol Guldur. And he only says 'possibly'...

Old Toby
Gondor

May 20 2013, 6:11pm

Post #14 of 15 (233 views)
Shortcut
how did I miss this one? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for posting this. I love all RA's interviews! He's always so intelligent, informative and self-effacing. And I like how he acknowledges his fans. A lot of actors don't bother, which I think is just rude, but there you go. He's a gentleman for sure. And I think the Bot5A will be epic! Probably make the Pelennor Fields look like a holiday.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 20 2013, 9:16pm

Post #15 of 15 (225 views)
Shortcut
My pleasure! I think it's perhaps the best one I've seen. [In reply to] Can't Post

RA is intelligent and modest – and he always acknowledges people he works with, as well as his supporters. It's good to listen to someone who appears to be his own man and is not ego bound. (Of course his amazing acting is always a real treat to watch – and not just because of those magnetic eyes and voice.)

In Reply To
Thank you so much for posting this. I love all RA's interviews! He's always so intelligent, informative and self-effacing. And I like how he acknowledges his fans. A lot of actors don't bother, which I think is just rude, but there you go. He's a gentleman for sure. And I think the Bot5A will be epic! Probably make the Pelennor Fields look like a holiday.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.