The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell (and Beyond) -- March 1, 2007

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 1 2007, 12:23pm

Post #1 of 16 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell (and Beyond) -- March 1, 2007 Can't Post

Good morning, fellow travellers! I trust all your walks are going well. I reached the Black Gate earlier this week – not an easy way to get into Mordor by a long shot! Then Gollum decided to volunteer the information that he knows a “secret” way into Mordor, and Frodo’s decided to trust him, so off we go southward. Wonder where we’ll wind up. . .

From TTT, “Journey to the Cross-roads”, Frodo is speaking to Faramir:

The hobbits bowed low. “Most gracious host,” said Frodo, “it was said to me by Elrond Halfelven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I looked for no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good.”

Don’t forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Explanatory note: The Eowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursday mornings.
Walk to Rivendell: http://www.eowynchallenge.net

(This post was edited by Miradan on Mar 1 2007, 12:24pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2007, 5:16pm

Post #2 of 16 (985 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Miradan and all! [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean to tell me with ALL the times you've seen what happens when you follow somone who can't even stand up straight... and you STILL just go along with him? You're made of sterner stuff than I am ;)

I'm still on my way to Edoras with the crowd. Mercy but these people don't hurry along at all unless there's a Fell Beast for encouragement! Geez!

An ice storm is just now moving in on our area, and we're all hoping they'll shut the offices down and send us all home before our car doors freeze shut! This is supposed to go on for a couple of days, so if I disappear... it's cuz the powerlines are down. Here we go!

Thanks lots for taking care of us, Miradan! Have a great weekend everyone!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Kethry
Lorien

Mar 1 2007, 5:28pm

Post #3 of 16 (967 views)
Shortcut
Already four days away from Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

Wandering through some very quiet country, just found a stream to follow. I don't like walking all night.

I lost 10 pounds the first month I was working out, but I haven't been losing as much weight the last couple of weeks. I've been hovering at about the same weight for that long, but it seems that I have lost inches. I'm going to need a new belt soon. And new jeans, but that can wait for a week or two. I'm really looking forwards to going down some clothing sizes. Of course, that means I have to deal with the headache that is shopping, but I think I'll be better able to deal with it this time.

And I like todays quote. Friendship and help can come from the most unlikely places. The support from known friends is very important, but never shut out the possiblity of help from random, unexpected places.

"You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about - the more you have left when anything happens." ~ Ethel Barrymore

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 1 2007, 7:37pm

Post #4 of 16 (987 views)
Shortcut
Barely moving along - hope to pick it up [In reply to] Can't Post

Crebain flew over camp last night, so I think it is time to pick up the pace - I may be being watched! As we approach Moria, I notice that Gandalf & Strider are having more frequent private arguments. I suspect the ranger still owes a debt to Gandalf from that game of Harad Hold 'em at the big party the night before we left Rivendell. Don't know what else it could be about!

Anyway, Miradan, I'd be a bit careful following the crouched one south. Once when I traveled in that area I thought to myself "What is it that I spy 'der up on that pass?". Anyway, that was just before I ran across a strange woman, and she lobbed something at me. Anyway, since I'm not brave like my friend Trey, I ran away. Afterwards, my traveling companion said to me (my name is Al), that instead of running away, I should "BE TREY, AL". Sorry, I know this has been a bit of a non-sequitor and nothing whatsoever to do with your journey with Gollum. Sometimes I get all flustered, as I don't have a lot of poise on the web sometimes. Often when I post, I read it later and think "Boy, I am just the dumbest ingrate there is!"

Notta

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 1 2007, 7:39pm

Post #5 of 16 (965 views)
Shortcut
Moving stuff around [In reply to] Can't Post

I lost 10 pounds the first month I was working out, but I haven't been losing as much weight the last couple of weeks. I've been hovering at about the same weight for that long, but it seems that I have lost inches.

Yeah, that can certainly happen! You must be a good job of working out. I've had the opposite happen since I've fallen off my workout program - I actually weigh less than I did, but my clothes are fitting tighter.

Enjoy the treat of dropping a size!

Notta

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 1 2007, 7:40pm

Post #6 of 16 (963 views)
Shortcut
Best of luck [In reply to] Can't Post

That storm is supposed to hit here tomorrow.Unsure

Notta

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2007, 12:45am

Post #7 of 16 (981 views)
Shortcut
Pfft! / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but I lost TX in a poker game.

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 2 2007, 3:15am

Post #8 of 16 (968 views)
Shortcut
I know, I know [In reply to] Can't Post

But Gandalf said something about Gollum having some part left to play, and I do trust Gandalf. . .

Hope the ice storms aren't too bad -- take care now!

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 2 2007, 3:16am

Post #9 of 16 (959 views)
Shortcut
As long as [In reply to] Can't Post

You're losing inches, it means you're making progress -- muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space. Sounds like you're doing great -- awesome!

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 2 2007, 3:19am

Post #10 of 16 (969 views)
Shortcut
hmmm, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I get the message -- but I'm not sure there's much I can do about it, I promised to follow Frodo, and he's following Gollum, so. . .

Be careful in Moria, now -- the quality of the hospitality has declined lately.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 2 2007, 10:12am

Post #11 of 16 (980 views)
Shortcut
Loose is good! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're definitely on the right track! I've been at the point where I'm working out-dieting-and being such a good girl it make me wanna spit but nothing at all is happening. It's been 5 months with no avail. I can bench-press my car, carry 20-lb bags of pet food in each hand... but cannot zip up my jeans ;)

When you're older, the body and mind aren't very good at communicating and the things that worked easily before don't work now. *sigh* It's very frustrating. So, I'm changing my tact and keeping at it... I'm extremely sad and frustrated... but not giving up!!

sample sample

Elven
Valinor

Mar 2 2007, 3:47pm

Post #12 of 16 (957 views)
Shortcut
Eager to get walking this week! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone Smile

It has been a lovely week, but I have been busy doing sit down stuff and didnt get hardly any walking in Frown.

I will try next week - actually tomorrow being Saturday, and the weather is looking good - I'll get out there amongst it, and go for a walk.

Good luck everyone with all your hard work and efforts becoming so healthy!! Dont give up!! Its all worth it!! (says she sitting down eating icecream) ... thats what you need gramma - Ice Cream storms!! Wink
I hope youve stocked up and you dont have too much trouble with the weather.

Thankyou Miradan for our weekly catch-up!!

Psyching myself to clock up some miles this week!

Blessings all
Elven x

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 2 2007, 10:31pm

Post #13 of 16 (951 views)
Shortcut
You can do it! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're all cheering you on!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2007, 1:58am

Post #14 of 16 (968 views)
Shortcut
I haven't been keeping track [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I've averaged about 8 miles a week, not as much as I wanted, and maybe that's why I don't write it down -- I don't want to admit it! Thanks for keeping the Walk on the front burner for us, Miradan!

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 3 2007, 1:03pm

Post #15 of 16 (947 views)
Shortcut
It works :) [In reply to] Can't Post

There's something comforting in a routine... knowing you'll have at least the 8 miles a week is a great foundation. It's a coup when you can add to that. Well done!

sample sample

Miradan
Rivendell

Mar 3 2007, 2:24pm

Post #16 of 16 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Any walking is good walking [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I certainly understand the feeling not to record slow weeks. But at least it means you're moving forward a little, rather than not at all!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.