Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Durin's Ring, Durin's Bane, Durin's Folk, the malice of The Enemy, The Ring of Thrain, and amazing flashback potential
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 19 2013, 6:20pm

Post #1 of 44 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Ring, Durin's Bane, Durin's Folk, the malice of The Enemy, The Ring of Thrain, and amazing flashback potential Can't Post

The vision of the potential scenes won't entirely leave my thought. . . A prologue of brief narration by our favourite Wizard, quickly outlining the essentials, all the while tying it subtly in with the proluge from Fellowship. "Of Olde Seven Rings of Power were given to the Dwarf Lords, and the greatest of these was gifted to Durin, eldest and mightiest of the Dwarven Forefathers. . .but though the Rings could inflame in the Dwarves an unsatiable lust for treasure, akin to the obsession of dragons, the dwarves could not be bent to the will of the Ring Maker, nor turned to phantoms or wraiths. Thus they gained the unending Malice of The Enemy, and their Rings became cursed with ill fortune. It was this malice that awoke, in the very foundations of the dwarves most sacred Kingdom, an evil too ancient and powerful for even King Durin and his fierce folk to withstand. . . " Cue scene of Durin (actor made to look like one of the most notable and noble seeming of the dwarves from the Fellowship opening, an easy enough task since they were buried in prosthetics), the heated wind and glow of a demon's hellife beating upon his face, turning to his son ( I know the Balrog killed Nain within a year, but that is the sort of thing that would probably be truncated out, interesting and sinister though it is) and thrusting the Ring into his hand his Great Ring, with an urgent plea for the latter to flea and lead (noise and glimpse of dwarven warriors being slain six ways till Sunday in the background) their people to safety, perhaps noting, "Khazad-Dum is lost. And against this foe, there is no hope of vengeance." *Takes up his great axe and goes to his doom*, perhaps we see fragments of the smoking, ruined axe come flying back into the chamber. A touch more brief dialogue of how the Dwarves fled Moria and migrated North to found a new kingdom at Erebor. "The Ring of Durin continued to be an heirloom of his descendants, passed in unbroken line from father to son, until at last it came to the hands of Thror and Thrain" Here, the end fraction of the proluge, focusing on Thrain, Dol Guldur and Gandalf would begin.

There are strong indications that The Ring of Thrain and Thror, which was once the Ring of Durin, is going to get some attention in these films, or that this was at least Sir Peter's intent. This Great Ring is present on the finger of Thror in Erebor, and we know that conversation concerning The Seven amongst The White Council WAS filmed, though whether it was an outake, a converastion intended for EE or for the Smaug film, we cannot yet say. Something akin to this would greatly help in tying the currently loose strands of Durin and his folk, The Greatest of The Seven Dwarf Rings, THe Balrog of Moria (Bane of much name dropped and sacred Durin, cause of the fall of Moria and terror of The Dwarves, not to mention most iconic villain of Fellowship), the matter of Moria (one that won't lie until Balin lies resting therein), Thror's possesion of a Great Ring, Thrain's recieving of it and his capture.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

elaen32
Gondor

May 19 2013, 8:32pm

Post #2 of 44 (477 views)
Shortcut
Great stuff AO! [In reply to] Can't Post

This would be a really good scene and I really think that they have to have the dwarven rings in the mix, considering everything else that has been chucked in there! I hope you have the gift of foresight and that something like this comes to pass

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 19 2013, 9:28pm

Post #3 of 44 (465 views)
Shortcut
was the Dwarf history always your favourite parts from the books? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or has TH movies made you like this? Anyway if they go on about the balrog too much won't alot of people get confused between the stories of the balrog in Moria and the dragon in Erebor? They're quite similar. I would like to see all that history shown in the movies though, maybe if Smaug does die at the end of DOS then all the Moria stuff could be made relevant for TABA with the Bo5a and Dain etc?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 19 2013, 9:48pm

Post #4 of 44 (468 views)
Shortcut
I have always thought it was very powerful stuff, but I think it is much more relevant [In reply to] Can't Post

to a vastly expanded version of a story that focuses so heavily on Durin's heirs and folk, to delve into those two essential aspects of Durin's fate, and of Dwarven history. Durin's Ring, which later became the Ring of Thror and of Thrain and drove each of them to near madness and deadly folly once THe Ring Maker was again stirring in the world (and played no small part in the hoarded wealth that brought the Dragon), and Durin's Bane, The Balrog, slayer of the most sacred of the Dwarven King's ( Durin has already been mentioned by name six times in An Unexpected Jurny alone), most fundemental nightmare of all Durin's folk (when the dwarves speak of him at all it is in a terrified whisper, and Gimli explicitly says he is what haunts their darkest dreams), and a nightmare even of the High Elves, and also the enforcer of their exile. Erebor was, after all, still a home in exile. Moria was the sacred ancestral hall to which they could not return. Thror attempted it in his madness, but even had Azog ended up as dead as in the actual tale, there would have been no home return for Durin's heirs.

Indeed (and as the movie's visual companion acknowledges this I very much hope the movies will as well), Azog and his people could never have claimed Moria had it not already been long abandoned by the dwarves whom The Balrog drove into flight nearly a thousand years earlier (a fair number of Lothlorien's Elves fled as well, just in response to the terror and power of evil that came out of Moria when he awoke).

There is also the consistency matter I have mentioned elsewhere. It will look very bizzare and more than a trifle staged if a place that audiences see prominently displayed in THe Hobbit movies, suddenly is "revealed" to be the home of an ancient, terrifyingly powerful and dreadful demon who just happens to have not been mentioned in any way, shape or form in the "preceding" movies, and only emerges, with virtually no prior history save a few ominous lines of ancient lore from a taunting Saruman, to provide a convient Boss Level Battle for Gandalf, just when the plot requires that he not be present to lead and protect the Fellowship for a while.

In Reply To
Or has TH movies made you like this? Anyway if they go on about the balrog too much won't alot of people get confused between the stories of the balrog in Moria and the dragon in Erebor? They're quite similar. I would like to see all that history shown in the movies though, maybe if Smaug does die at the end of DOS then all the Moria stuff could be made relevant for TABA with the Bo5a and Dain etc?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on May 19 2013, 9:53pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 19 2013, 9:49pm

Post #5 of 44 (450 views)
Shortcut
Here is to hoping our hearts are telling us what will be [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

In Reply To
This would be a really good scene and I really think that they have to have the dwarven rings in the mix, considering everything else that has been chucked in there! I hope you have the gift of foresight and that something like this comes to pass

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 19 2013, 10:04pm

Post #6 of 44 (482 views)
Shortcut
too much [In reply to] Can't Post

remember when they said they were gonna make the hobbit into a film? ahhh the good old days.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 20 2013, 1:48am

Post #7 of 44 (394 views)
Shortcut
it would just be a live action version of the cartoon movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad they're expanding it. I think TH is the best epic fantasy story ever and with all the history and Necomancer stuff added makes it 100x better.

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 20 2013, 2:42am

Post #8 of 44 (396 views)
Shortcut
Ehhhhh idk [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems like WAY off the mark for THE HOBBIT movies! Maybe mention the ring a tad somewhere but no way should it get a long prologue with all this Durin business.

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 20 2013, 2:56am

Post #9 of 44 (358 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

The more dwarven history backstory, the better IMHO

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 5:31am

Post #10 of 44 (372 views)
Shortcut
Too late for that. They already veered off into miles of made up BS, they could at least give the real awesome bits [In reply to] Can't Post

to compensate for the nonsense. If we can waste several minutes watching a fabricated Dwarf history in whic Azog evade his true fate, get into it with Thorin, and chase him all over Wilderland when Bolg doing so would have sufficed, CERTAINLY there should be time, in this film that constantly mentions Durin's beard, heirs, day and arse (well, maybe not ass lol) to give a little of the true history of Legendary Durin as it relates to this film Sextet/hexology. I.E. the Ring he had that Sauron wanted back and which brought his folk such ill luck, and later drove the very relevant Thror and Thrain to madness (this will go a long way to explaining what made Thror think he could return to Moria in the first damn place) and was the cause of Sauron desiring to make a prisoner of Thrain, and of course The Demon who Killed Durin and became the most feared figure in all the legends and histories of the Dwarves of The Third Age, and who reigns above all others, Azog included, in the place where Balin will later meet his fate. The Demon who we will see in Fellowship and be told was the age old terror of Moria. . . twould be nice to not have that seem like a last minute development.

In Reply To
That seems like WAY off the mark for THE HOBBIT movies! Maybe mention the ring a tad somewhere but no way should it get a long prologue with all this Durin business.

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on May 20 2013, 5:33am)

malickfan
Gondor

May 20 2013, 8:47am

Post #11 of 44 (311 views)
Shortcut
I like the cartoon a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

with all the history and Necomancer stuff added makes it 100x better

Er what Necromancer stuff? As far as i can remember there is virtually nothing in the appendices (the only additional materil they have the rights to) other than a few dates and one line references: 'Gandalf enters Dol Goldur and discoveres The Necromancer is indeed Sauron'.

As for the cartoon I personally like it alot, coz its you know a adapation of The Hobbit, which in my book is primarily a stand alone story.

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Yngwulff
Gondor

May 20 2013, 8:52am

Post #12 of 44 (313 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

A few hints the readers would get as regards to gndys doing during the quest when he was absent and call it a day.

A little more and accurate portrayal of the dwarven backstory would have been better and do 2 films.

No Rhaddy ... as much as i liked him and follow the KISS principle

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

elaen32
Gondor

May 20 2013, 10:00am

Post #13 of 44 (311 views)
Shortcut
Phew! Stop to draw breath AO, you're going a bit blue!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink But I agree- and quite outside of the book fans, there are going to be more casual movie only fans asking "Who is this Durin guy anyway?" since there are many mentions, but no explanations. Far too late to just stick to the events of the book only!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 20 2013, 10:27am

Post #14 of 44 (316 views)
Shortcut
Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

So what if it's only a few sentences and dates in the books? What PJ is doing with it just adds more epic fantasy elements to an already epic story. Would you really prefer it if Gandalf just disappeared then came back later without explaination like in the book? The Necromancer plotline has amazing potential and I think what PJ has done with it so far is perfect.

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 20 2013, 4:45pm

Post #15 of 44 (257 views)
Shortcut
There's more about DG than just that in LOTR. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Er what Necromancer stuff? As far as i can remember there is virtually nothing in the appendices (the only additional materil they have the rights to) other than a few dates and one line references: 'Gandalf enters Dol Goldur and discoveres The Necromancer is indeed Sauron'.

As for the cartoon I personally like it alot, coz its you know a adapation of The Hobbit, which in my book is primarily a stand alone story.

If we didn't get DG than we wouldn't hardly see Gandalf the next movie and some of the third. Lets be honest Gandalf is the biggest character in PJ's movies. ALL the movie goers know Gandalf and want to see him. Since the LOTR were made first you have to explain to audiences (who will want to know) whats up with Sauron at this point.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 4:49pm

Post #16 of 44 (254 views)
Shortcut
I mostly agree with lurtz2010 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I am not completely happy with how Jackson is handling the Necromancer subplot. However, I do think that it is necessary for the fim audience to see what Gandalf is up to after he leaves Bilbo and the Dwarves. Film has different needs versus a prose novel. Along the same lines, I think it is preferable to introduce Bard earlier in the tale, rather than just when Smaug attacks Lake-town. Again, though, I'm not sure that I will like how our director approaches the subject.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 20 2013, 4:52pm)

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 20 2013, 4:56pm

Post #17 of 44 (258 views)
Shortcut
Azog was necessary for the first film. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
to compensate for the nonsense. If we can waste several minutes watching a fabricated Dwarf history in whic Azog evade his true fate, get into it with Thorin, and chase him all over Wilderland when Bolg doing so would have sufficed, CERTAINLY there should be time, in this film that constantly mentions Durin's beard, heirs, day and arse (well, maybe not ass lol) to give a little of the true history of Legendary Durin as it relates to this film Sextet/hexology. I.E. the Ring he had that Sauron wanted back and which brought his folk such ill luck, and later drove the very relevant Thror and Thrain to madness (this will go a long way to explaining what made Thror think he could return to Moria in the first damn place) and was the cause of Sauron desiring to make a prisoner of Thrain, and of course The Demon who Killed Durin and became the most feared figure in all the legends and histories of the Dwarves of The Third Age, and who reigns above all others, Azog included, in the place where Balin will later meet his fate. The Demon who we will see in Fellowship and be told was the age old terror of Moria. . . twould be nice to not have that seem like a last minute development.

In Reply To

He helped push along the company whereas in the book I cannot recall what advanced them to Rivendell and I thought the final scene was greatly improved from the book. Bolg is being saved for another role and I feel confident that when all is said and done we will have a very coherent story and a great idea of the larger world than what the book alone gives us. This very well might be the last ME movie so I'd like to see whats going on in the world at this point in history. A big complicated history of Durin is not going to help anything and Thrain and DG will give us enough about the ring if they choose to utilize its story. Plus the Balrog is very much irrelevant to the story whereas Azog was used to push the journey onwards. It would also take out any "specialness" of when we get to see the Balrog for the first time in FOTR. You complain about PJ mishandling the current dwarven history yet you want him to indulge in much more of it and more important parts of it. Why would you want him possibly ruining your favorite tidbits of the history??

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 20 2013, 5:51pm

Post #18 of 44 (239 views)
Shortcut
what advanced them to rivendell? [In reply to] Can't Post

its funny how the hobbit book was liked by anyone considering all the terribly bad choices tolkien made, no azog no necromancer, tut tut tolkien you did a bad job.

or maybe the film is wrong an completely dismisses the original vision for something more hollywood.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 20 2013, 5:55pm

Post #19 of 44 (232 views)
Shortcut
I only hope [In reply to] Can't Post

jackson works those beefed up legs of manu bennet up to Mirkwood...the company needs some pushing into that forest, some excitement, the pacing is terrible in that part of the book.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 20 2013, 6:20pm

Post #20 of 44 (224 views)
Shortcut
Oh geeeze [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
its funny how the hobbit book was liked by anyone considering all the terribly bad choices tolkien made, no azog no necromancer, tut tut tolkien you did a bad job.

or maybe the film is wrong an completely dismisses the original vision for something more hollywood.

I'm sorry but you don't have to dislike the book to realize that the movie required a little more to work. Tolkien did put the Necromancer in there by the way. Should we disregard his other writings about it?? Just pretend nothing else is going on at this time? Silly!

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 20 2013, 6:23pm

Post #21 of 44 (223 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
jackson works those beefed up legs of manu bennet up to Mirkwood...the company needs some pushing into that forest, some excitement, the pacing is terrible in that part of the book.

People already thought it was too slow WITH the extra antagonist! Can you imagine if it was just the company casually traveling the whole movie??

The Mitch King
Rohan

May 20 2013, 6:25pm

Post #22 of 44 (221 views)
Shortcut
Plus... [In reply to] Can't Post

No one on here will be complaining when we get to see the White Counsel together in some action.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 7:54pm

Post #23 of 44 (218 views)
Shortcut
I would also add that, if they were going to be pure Hobbit movies, no Dwarf history etc., there was no point in 3 films, save the worst [In reply to] Can't Post

case suspicion that Peter, Fran and Phillipa really just want to make the stories their own, and have some notion that they can tell the tale better than Tolkien (i.e. a host of major alterations and false inventions).

If they are not going to get into the history of The Dwarves whom this film is centered around, make the connections between this film set and The Rings Set (real connections like Rings, Moria, Necromancer etc., not silly trivial ones like pounding throw away lines that pop up in both trilogies) and do a fairly faithful, if expanded when required, telling of The Necromancer vs. White Council business, they should have left it at one movie, MAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE two, and been done with it.

All the "rise of the Necromancer" stuff is superflous. They could just as easily have followed the actual appendices, had Gandalf and The Wise already know, show the tide in Greenwood shifting overwhelmingly to Mirkwood, and had Radagast tell Gandalf, "The Enemy is growing stronger, Gandalf. He is not lying idle, void of new ambition and resigned to being contained as The Council had hoped. It is as you feared. He means war. On The Elves, on the all the free people. He is poisoning all the forest, and he his power has already grown too great for me to withstand. Spiders dared to attack Rhosgbel itself. His minions will be at Thranduil's doorstep ere long. . . ." Etc. The Council convenes, deems war really is the only option. Tada.

Certainly no need for Azog chasing everyone all over creation etc. etc. etc. Half assed hybridization isn't the way to go. Either keep The Hobbit, THE Hobbit (ship sailed already), or actually stick to the Appendices with all the awesome moments and information they yield. That means a Balrog in Moria (in keeping with the Rings movies), Thrain's Ring being of great interest to Sauron and a concern of Gandalf's, etc. etc. etc.

In Reply To

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 8:00pm

Post #24 of 44 (204 views)
Shortcut
He just wasn't. The film didn't have to include him any more than the book does. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was no need to drag out the journey to Rivendell that long anyway. Most people HATE the orc to bunny chase anyway.

Durin's Bane is hugely relevant to why the Dwarves ended up in Erebor, why they could not reclaim Moria (which has now been prominently displayed in the Hobbit set), and film IV, THe Fellowship of The Ring. People keep forgetting, these films are officially a sextet now, NOT two wholly seperate and independant trilogies. Had they been done with a different director and an entirely different cast that could have been the case. It DEFINITELY is not the case now. Audiences will get to Moria in Fellowship, and if that is the first time they hear about an ancient Demon lurking within, there are going to be a lot of very legitmate "Well where the HELL did he come from?" Questions raised. Better to just acknowledge (and it isn't like it cannot be done in under two minutes) that the original terror and fall of Moria was the work of a Demon, and that no return to Moria is a wise one.

It would be great if Thorin and Dain, perhaps, were shown to have actually entered Moria after Azanulbizzar to make certain Azog was finished and bring back the body for display, but instead glimpsed The Balrog nearing the gate, and left the mountain never again speaking (for the terror of the incident) of what they had seen within. Loose thread tied.

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

He helped push along the company whereas in the book I cannot recall what advanced them to Rivendell and I thought the final scene was greatly improved from the book. Bolg is being saved for another role and I feel confident that when all is said and done we will have a very coherent story and a great idea of the larger world than what the book alone gives us. This very well might be the last ME movie so I'd like to see whats going on in the world at this point in history. A big complicated history of Durin is not going to help anything and Thrain and DG will give us enough about the ring if they choose to utilize its story. Plus the Balrog is very much irrelevant to the story whereas Azog was used to push the journey onwards. It would also take out any "specialness" of when we get to see the Balrog for the first time in FOTR. You complain about PJ mishandling the current dwarven history yet you want him to indulge in much more of it and more important parts of it. Why would you want him possibly ruining your favorite tidbits of the history??

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 20 2013, 8:08pm

Post #25 of 44 (201 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. Durin has been mentioned. . . ALOT. It would add HUGE resonance to the films as a whole [In reply to] Can't Post

over the arc from film 1 An Unexpected, through the return of Gandalf in film V Two Towers, if we understood just how dreadful and significant the Balrog was, and what his fall meant for Middle-Earth, especially the Dwarven folk whom we encountered in what is now film/epi 1.

This dread being killed Durin, the Great Ancestor (albiet reincarnated. . . and never again in that Age after the Balrog slew him) of The Dwarves, their most sacred, hallow forefather, and he drove them from their "Sacred Halls" in Moria. Thorin says they were sacred in the movie. If they were so sacred, how did they end up abandoned in the first place?!!! The Orcs couldn't have managed that (and the tie in visual movie companion text says that it was The Balrog also). That little bit of information gives us a MUCH greater understanding of the history of The Dwarves, especially of Durin's line, but it also gives a MUCH better appreciation of how truly terrible the foe and task that awaits Gandalf in Moria is. As it stands, he is just some obviously awful Demon who pops up to pose a problem for our Wizard and team leader. This little bit of information gives him a history, turns him into the proper legend of horror that he is, and makes what is to come later a far more emotionally powerful, tense and satisfying deal, instead of setting people up to ask, "Well where did he come from, and how come he was never mentioned when we saw Moria before?????"

In Reply To
Wink But I agree- and quite outside of the book fans, there are going to be more casual movie only fans asking "Who is this Durin guy anyway?" since there are many mentions, but no explanations. Far too late to just stick to the events of the book only!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.