Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Purist Edit

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 19 2013, 1:27am

Post #1 of 24 (1432 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Purist Edit Can't Post

I'm certain that in a few years time once all three films come out that Tolkien purists will try and put them all together into one big film. I think Peter Jackson made sure that it would be near impossible to cut together an edit without Radagast in it he plays an integral part of the plot by distracting wargs to help the dwarves escape which leads into the white council subplot.

I say this because I tried putting together an edit of AUJ that went "By the book" or as close to the book as possible. Just for fun of course only to see if it could be done I have no problems with the film at all and of course It won't see the light of day either for three reasons I don't want to go to jail and because it really really sucks lol and I did not save it I'm gonna try and explain what I cut I hope you all don't think ill of me.

1. At the beginning I cut out all of Frodo and Old Bilbo scenes as soon as the prologue with Thorin ends it shows that early morning shot of the Shire and old Bilbo says "and that's where I come in" then it cuts to young Bilbo sitting on the bench immediatly after the moth flicks his nose and the subtitle "60 years earlier" shows up this is the cleanest smoothest edit in my opinion

2. I cut out Radagast's intro even the part where Gandalf talks about him because why would he talk about him if he is not gonna be in here?

3. the trickiest part to cut was the initial warg attack cause Radagast is featured so prominitly in it instead I tried to create the illusion that a warg attack was already going on I added a warg howl to replace Thorin saying "someone's coming" Gandalf reacts to it then immediatly cut to dwalin slaying a warg this did not work for so many reasons.

4. Next was the warg chase I cut out as much radagast as possible there are still a few shots where he is briefly seen but it is far far away

5. White council cutting was easy I just cut it after Elrond says "You're not the only guardians to stand watch over Middle-Earth" and kept Gandalf's reaction to it then cut to the dwarves leaving in the morning to try to create the illusion that Gandalf has business we're not supposed to see as in the book.

6. I cut out any Azog involvement until the burning trees scene he is mention by Balin and shown in the Moria flashback and I kept the orc that spies on them during that scene "send word to the master". No weathertop scene. no scene of him discovering they took the mountain pass and Great Goblin's mention of him is the only hint that he is still alive until we actually see him when the dwarves are cornered in the trees it makes for a much better reveal.

Again please don't think Ill of me I only didi it for fun and the challenge not to profit off it in any way. in all the movie came out at 2 hours 17 minutes not including credits

Elessar
Valinor

May 19 2013, 3:14am

Post #2 of 24 (649 views)
Shortcut
Different strokes for different folks [In reply to] Can't Post

There are plenty of SW fans who have done the same. I personally think "fan edits" are pretty lame. However, if people want to take the time to do it that's their business.

Súlimë
Rivendell

May 19 2013, 6:18am

Post #3 of 24 (584 views)
Shortcut
I understand why people would do this [In reply to] Can't Post

... and in a way I'm interested to see the results (especially if they made an effort to blend background music, pay attention to the pacing, and be creative about it). This is not just limited to The Hobbit, but I generally like to see how much can be achieved with the art of editing.

In the Return of the King I'd actually love to own an official version without the Gandalf vs Witch King scene Tongue

In my opinion, AUJ is pretty awesome the way it is, despite my own personal peeves here and there. But then again I tend to treat theatrical versions as an "abridged version", while I wait for the "real" (EE) version.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

May 19 2013, 7:23am

Post #4 of 24 (600 views)
Shortcut
There's an easy cut on the stone giants scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Just after Bofur says his bit "The legends are true..." The stone smashes above them, then cut to Bilbo falling off the ledge as if the blast knocked him off. I've managed it just by skipping and it works well and actually fixes the pacing of the whole movie Smile

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

May 19 2013, 9:34am

Post #5 of 24 (515 views)
Shortcut
Music [In reply to] Can't Post

I made an edit in which I put some of the music from the Ralph Bakshi version in. It's pretty funny, and some of it syncs up really well:

-The Tra-la-la-la-li song sits nicely over the scene of them walking into Rivendell - the lines "the river is flowing" "what brings Mr Baggins?" and "Dwalin and Balin" all sit over pictures of these things (well the last one is Dwalin and Thorin but it's close enough)
- The ridiculous fall down the rabbit hole into Goblin Town is much better when accompanied by "Rolling down the Hole."
- The opening of Smaug's eye followed by "the greatest adventure" is quite nice as well.

Another edit I've played around with is removing the Sebastian the Hedgehog stuff. In the first Radagast scene you can easily cut from Radagast turning round and being shocked (originally by seeing sick Sebastian) to him being shocked by seeing the Spiders running away (originally as they run off from Rhosgobel). There is some continuity issue with a bird going into his hat and then being out of it but I think it' a nice little edit to remove a fairly bad scene.

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 19 2013, 1:47pm

Post #6 of 24 (480 views)
Shortcut
Good for you, i certainly dont think ill of you, on the contrary, this is inevitable [In reply to] Can't Post

a suggestion, which i thought of immediately last night as i watched the film :

When Radagast shows up- and if you intend to keep him- immediately as he arrives and gandy shouts ITS RADAGAST, you should cut immediately to their shared conversation ...cut the silly insect stuff, it really irked me...

Cut Azogs snif sniff scenes as he chases the company...thats good.

If you cut radagast...i imagine right when Bilbo reeives Sting, you have to cut it to the rocky pass of rivendell..

Have you tried inserting, as the poster before me suggests, the goblin songs, like down down to goblin tonw...theres a vidoe on youtube that shows this...

Did you cut out those preposterous falls and crashes and tiring fighting scenes in GT?

If i might ask, what program did you use for this?

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on May 19 2013, 1:50pm)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 19 2013, 2:53pm

Post #7 of 24 (442 views)
Shortcut
Good Idea [In reply to] Can't Post

If you cut radagast...i imagine right when Bilbo reeives Sting, you have to cut it to the rocky pass of rivendell..

Wow I never thought of that I bet I could get that to work. that could cut the running time down too. I'd have to shorten the line "we found them in a troll cave before we were attacked by orcs on the great east road'

I didn't take anything out except Radagast, the white Council and Most of Azog sadly I had to cut The funny scene in Rivendell with Bofur and the sausage. nothing actually bothers me about the movie so I didn't take anything out for personal reasons I took them out to see how it would flow as a film without all of it. I did the same for the LOTR movies once where I rearranged them to be exactly like the book I.E Aragorn and everyone else's stories then Frodo and Sam's just how the book is divided up it did not work either that's not how you make a film lol

I used Windows movie maker cause that's all I have at the moment I have an audio program as well that I could use for it. I'm hoping I can buy Sony Vegas Pro 8 soon cause a friend let me use his once and I really really like it

I haven't tried replacing the music with the Rankin/Bass version but I did make a music video set to "The Greatest Adventure" and put it on Youtube I don't know if I can post it here though

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

May 19 2013, 11:18pm

Post #8 of 24 (376 views)
Shortcut
I have had similar ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

But as some of the differences are so great, I would have to say that sticking to the spirit rather than to the letter of the book would be good enough. For example, whilst the Troll scene is different, it does keep to the spirit enough for me to include it. But other material such as the Radagast and White Council I would just cut out totally, I think they are a bad distraction. And a lot of other material as well. I think we would be left with a 40 minute or so film. Now, if the other two films are similar we might end up with one film of around 2 hours. Which some might argue is what it should have been in the first place! Shame I can't see your edit, though, I might have liked too have done.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 20 2013, 2:09am

Post #9 of 24 (330 views)
Shortcut
I agree too [In reply to] Can't Post

It may not be the story we've read so many times but it's a good interpretation It's not "The Hobbit" it's "The Hobbit and a bunch of other stuff that was going on at the time that will be explained at a later date" lol
anyway the running time I came out with was 2 hours and 15 minutes and I think if I skipped from Bilbo getting Sting to them arriving at Rivendell the film would be just over 2 hours like maybe 2 hours and 5 minutes or something

MorgolKing
Rivendell

May 20 2013, 1:00pm

Post #10 of 24 (273 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

I've started preparing my own edit and your number 6 is exactly how I'm planning on handling Azog -- it makes it much more suspenseful and no geographical problems with Weathertop and Rivendell being so close.

My white council is different, I leave it in to show Saruman but cut out a lot of the "homage" Gandalf pays to Galardriel (as well as some of her lines) to leave out the idea that "she's the most powerful being on Middle Earth" as Boyens would say.

In Reply To
I'm certain that in a few years time once all three films come out that Tolkien purists will try and put them all together into one big film. I think Peter Jackson made sure that it would be near impossible to cut together an edit without Radagast in it he plays an integral part of the plot by distracting wargs to help the dwarves escape which leads into the white council subplot.

I say this because I tried putting together an edit of AUJ that went "By the book" or as close to the book as possible. Just for fun of course only to see if it could be done I have no problems with the film at all and of course It won't see the light of day either for three reasons I don't want to go to jail and because it really really sucks lol and I did not save it I'm gonna try and explain what I cut I hope you all don't think ill of me.

1. At the beginning I cut out all of Frodo and Old Bilbo scenes as soon as the prologue with Thorin ends it shows that early morning shot of the Shire and old Bilbo says "and that's where I come in" then it cuts to young Bilbo sitting on the bench immediatly after the moth flicks his nose and the subtitle "60 years earlier" shows up this is the cleanest smoothest edit in my opinion

2. I cut out Radagast's intro even the part where Gandalf talks about him because why would he talk about him if he is not gonna be in here?

3. the trickiest part to cut was the initial warg attack cause Radagast is featured so prominitly in it instead I tried to create the illusion that a warg attack was already going on I added a warg howl to replace Thorin saying "someone's coming" Gandalf reacts to it then immediatly cut to dwalin slaying a warg this did not work for so many reasons.

4. Next was the warg chase I cut out as much radagast as possible there are still a few shots where he is briefly seen but it is far far away

5. White council cutting was easy I just cut it after Elrond says "You're not the only guardians to stand watch over Middle-Earth" and kept Gandalf's reaction to it then cut to the dwarves leaving in the morning to try to create the illusion that Gandalf has business we're not supposed to see as in the book.

6. I cut out any Azog involvement until the burning trees scene he is mention by Balin and shown in the Moria flashback and I kept the orc that spies on them during that scene "send word to the master". No weathertop scene. no scene of him discovering they took the mountain pass and Great Goblin's mention of him is the only hint that he is still alive until we actually see him when the dwarves are cornered in the trees it makes for a much better reveal.

Again please don't think Ill of me I only didi it for fun and the challenge not to profit off it in any way. in all the movie came out at 2 hours 17 minutes not including credits

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 20 2013, 1:01pm

Post #11 of 24 (266 views)
Shortcut
my movie maker went bonkers months ago [In reply to] Can't Post

and i cnat fix it...i dislike the earlier versions so im stuck until i get another program...

I had heard of that Vegas 8 ...

I look forward to do such a purist ct myself but...im waiting for the extended version...i suspect there is more bilbo material coming and thats important...preliminary goals for me, are :

- Azog, Radagast, Warg Chases, White Council, Extended Stone Giants, Endless fighting in Goblin Town and the ending, ridiculous fall down the hole and posterior descent to the youve got to be joking moment, cut the Goblin King slapstick line as he dies, try to replace the nazgul theme with the original music for that scene...but i am not sure yet how to do this...if i could, i would also replace the 3 or 4 moments in the film where lotr music is cued in and when the misty mountain battle music is inserted, it really becomes dull ...

Or perhaps just cut the entire Azog thorin confrontation and move straight to the eagles after the fiery pines...

MorgolKing
Rivendell

May 20 2013, 8:18pm

Post #12 of 24 (213 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

That's EXACTLY how I plan on dealing with Radagast, cut his first scene at this house altogether, and when he does appear, cut to his conversation with Gandalf after Gandalf exclaims It's Radagast.
Great minds think alike.

In Reply To
a suggestion, which i thought of immediately last night as i watched the film :

When Radagast shows up- and if you intend to keep him- immediately as he arrives and gandy shouts ITS RADAGAST, you should cut immediately to their shared conversation

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 20 2013, 8:42pm

Post #13 of 24 (204 views)
Shortcut
LOL thank you very much [In reply to] Can't Post

glad to be considered by someone on this earth as one of the Great! Wink

But if you cut his mirkwood scene, you have to cut the dialogue between Gandalf and Bilbo, right?

I actually like the dialogue.

MorgolKing
Rivendell

May 20 2013, 9:04pm

Post #14 of 24 (200 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to go back and watch, but my plan was to cut somewhere around where Gandalf says Radagast prefers the company of animals (before it cuts to Radagast) and then go straight to the company arriving at the farmer's house.

In Reply To
glad to be considered by someone on this earth as one of the Great! Wink

But if you cut his mirkwood scene, you have to cut the dialogue between Gandalf and Bilbo, right?

I actually like the dialogue.

TheHutt
Gondor

May 20 2013, 10:33pm

Post #15 of 24 (217 views)
Shortcut
Well... most of the changes sound quite lame [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but when I am reading the list I can't imagine how it can work.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

May 20 2013, 11:01pm

Post #16 of 24 (214 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't work [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL I said the same thing it really sucks some of them worked quite well but the radagast ones were horrible and ruined the whole thing

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 21 2013, 2:33am

Post #17 of 24 (201 views)
Shortcut
I have seen an edit of AUJ that flows very well [In reply to] Can't Post

AND cuts out 99 percent of the fan fiction that Jackson added to it. The person who did this lets myself and others see his version of it and it was only done for fun. Personally I like the edit I have seen better than Jackson's version.

To be honest I would love to see Jackson do a purist edit of his own films. I think he has the technology, there is certainly a market for it. Why not do it , to me its a win win situation because I was already bought AUJ and will probably be bought the rest of the series since my family knows me OHHH so well. But I would pay my own good hard earned money to see a purist edit a hundred times, and I know many Tolkien fans would buy it again as well.... So I say why not. I doubt it would ever happen in which case I'm quite happy with some of the fan edits that I have seen. Wink But ,maybe if they realized how many people would like to see a purist edit.... You never knowAngelic

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 21 2013, 2:57am

Post #18 of 24 (182 views)
Shortcut
Any chance for [In reply to] Can't Post

of us plebs catching a glimpse of that precious?Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

May 21 2013, 7:19am

Post #19 of 24 (173 views)
Shortcut
*Reads title* [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Hobbit Purse Edit"? Sounds good to me!

Oh ... wait ... purist. Doh!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 21 2013, 10:23am

Post #20 of 24 (154 views)
Shortcut
Poor Daniel...ever hoping... [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Elenorflower
Gondor

May 22 2013, 4:50pm

Post #21 of 24 (108 views)
Shortcut
Sinister I think I know of whom you speak [In reply to] Can't Post

*wink wink* and I really want to see his Purist edit because he will have done a great job, and just for his friends not for profit so thats ok. I couldnt watch it because my computer is a little notebook thing and I cant download a film, but one day I hope to see AUJ with all the Azog nonsense cut out.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 22 2013, 4:53pm

Post #22 of 24 (105 views)
Shortcut
yep you know of whom I speak.... [In reply to] Can't Post

it really is worth a watch. I really enjoyed it. No Azog nonsense, Radagast isn't there it was pretty good

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 22 2013, 4:58pm

Post #23 of 24 (102 views)
Shortcut
Wink wink [In reply to] Can't Post

Private message invitation Wink

Information required.

With haste. Tongue

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jun 6 2013, 12:30pm

Post #24 of 24 (81 views)
Shortcut
Me too :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Would really like to see this edit too as I actually planned to do one myself.
BTW does anyone know a good program that lets you replace music in a DVD movie and really just the music.. so doesn't alter the other sounds?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.