Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"I'm a good carry bum!" and other Random Ro Thoughts
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 18 2013, 5:55pm

Post #26 of 38 (249 views)
Shortcut
I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll never be able to hear that scene the right way again...Evil

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 18 2013, 8:29pm

Post #27 of 38 (249 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll never again hear that line without giggling.

This does, of course, beg the question: which of the Dwarves can, ahem, play croquet? Angelic

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 18 2013, 9:10pm

Post #28 of 38 (231 views)
Shortcut
Rain on the Parade [In reply to] Can't Post

Rain 1: The two-fingered thing is something Ian McKellen taught Martin Freeman about pipe smoking. It is supposed to help with the draw.

Rain 2: Gandalf says "He had the nous to play for time." An old-fashioned word that means Common sense; practical intelligence.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 18 2013, 10:05pm

Post #29 of 38 (236 views)
Shortcut
One lady's inappropriateness [In reply to] Can't Post

is everyone else's entertainment. Evil Keep it up! *snicker*

In Reply To

In Reply To
Hobbits smell of cozy fires, hay fields, and baking; Dwarves just smell…well, hairy and unwashed; Elves of course smell of strawberry bubble bath. But what does a wizard smell like? Valinor (citrus-incense) and that sort of classy old-drawing room tobacco smell. Unless you are Radagast and then I think you smell like a bunny hutch on a ripe summer day. Actually I figured Radagast smelled more like my chicken coop when it's due for a cleaning.

Who else thinks Thorin had been repeatedly ringing the doorbell while “Blunt the Knives” was going on, and was so teed off that no one had heard him that he resorted to that thundering knock? hahahahhaa! Especially since he was already cheesed off having knocked on several other Hobbit doors and been greeted as the exterminator or told "we don't want any buttons, thank you," and had the door slammed in his face.
LOL! So that's how he figured out he was lost! And how many Hobbit men are now scratching their heads muttering about short hairy men at their door? (And how many Hobbit women are wishing they'd answered the door before their husband, and invited that tall dark and handsome stranger right in for a bit of proper Hobbit hospitality?) Bifur’s line in Bag End has always sounded to me like “I’m a -- good carry bum!” *Exactly* what it sounds like. And while we are on the topic of "what stuff sounds like," two inappropriate points:1. It sounds to me like when Gandalf is talking to Thorin after the Trollshaw, he seems to say "He had the nads to play for time. None of the rest of you thought of that." Wow - Go Bilbo! High praise there!2. And heaven help me in the old farmer's house it sounds like Thorin says "desecrate our sacred holes..." which Elaen informs me is a Yorkshire accent thing but I HATE hearing it! I yell "halls" back at the TV. LOL -- I've always heard "nads" too! I posted that after I think my 5th viewing and had it pointed out to me that the word is "nous", which was a new one on me. And if you keep hearing "holes", just think that maybe Thorin means something like Hobbit-holes. And don't start going *there* either, where I know you're wanting to head...

Brethil
Half-elven

May 18 2013, 10:43pm

Post #30 of 38 (219 views)
Shortcut
That tall, dark, and handsome exterminator [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hahahahhaa! Especially since he was already cheesed off having knocked on several other Hobbit doors and been greeted as the exterminator .... LOL! So that's how he figured out he was lost! And how many Hobbit men are now scratching their heads muttering about short hairy men at their door? (And how many Hobbit women are wishing they'd answered the door before their husband, and invited that tall dark and handsome stranger right in for a bit of proper Hobbit hospitality?) And if they had, then how many Hobbit husbands are meeting in the market the next day..."Wait, YOU needed that Dwarf exterminator too? For bedbugs? And your wide said the door had to be closed....?" Much puzzled muttering ensues.

Keep having thoughts please dear Ro! Makes my day! Smile

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

elaen32
Gondor

May 18 2013, 10:59pm

Post #31 of 38 (220 views)
Shortcut
I misread this twice! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And if they had, then how many Hobbit husbands are meeting in the market the next day..."Wait, YOU needed that Dwarf exterminator too? For bedbugs? And your wide said the door had to be closed....?" Much puzzled muttering ensues.

Firstly I read it as in "exterminator of dwarfs" (some sort of mini-dalek?) and felt very indignant for Thorin Then I read it as "Dwarf terminator"-aagh no way, comparing RA with Arnie?Mad Even more indignationMadFrown Finally got it right!Crazy By the way Brethil- what is a wide- is this implying that Hobbit women are a little "broad across the beam"?Evil And incidentally, what would a half dwarf/half hobbit be called? A Dwobbit? A Hwarf? Not that I'm implying that this is any way relevant to the above discussion you understand!AngelicEvil

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 19 2013, 12:04am

Post #32 of 38 (205 views)
Shortcut
Fun at the market! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
hahahahhaa! Especially since he was already cheesed off having knocked on several other Hobbit doors and been greeted as the exterminator .... LOL! So that's how he figured out he was lost! And how many Hobbit men are now scratching their heads muttering about short hairy men at their door? (And how many Hobbit women are wishing they'd answered the door before their husband, and invited that tall dark and handsome stranger right in for a bit of proper Hobbit hospitality?) And if they had, then how many Hobbit husbands are meeting in the market the next day..."Wait, YOU needed that Dwarf exterminator too? For bedbugs? And your wide said the door had to be closed....?" Much puzzled muttering ensues.

And that's also why, when that same Stranger turns up at that market next day, the Hobbit husbands tell him "Bedbugs!?! We don't have bedbugs!" as the Hobbit wives (those who haven't yet had a visit from the Stranger, but who have been hearing the gossip) surround him clamouring "I've got bedbugs! I've got bedbugs as big as my arm!"

You know, I've heard them called "broads", but "wides" is a new one. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

May 19 2013, 12:18am

Post #33 of 38 (195 views)
Shortcut
Ha! I should have reread it at least once!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my typos just keep getting better, don't they (having attempted to marry off Ro last month...!) Those cute Hobbit broads.
Glad you got my point through it all though! And I think 'stocky love children' might be the best hybrid name!!!! Covers all races! Wink

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Brethil
Half-elven

May 19 2013, 12:22am

Post #34 of 38 (190 views)
Shortcut
**(helpless laughter)** [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
And that's also why, when that same Stranger turns up at that market next day, the Hobbit husbands tell him "Bedbugs!?! We don't have bedbugs!" as the Hobbit wives (those who haven't yet had a visit from the Stranger, but who have been hearing the gossip) surround him clamouring "I've got bedbugs! I've got bedbugs as big as my arm!"
****R-O-F-L-M-A-O !!!!!!!!*****
(You know, I've heard them called "broads", but "wides" is a new one.) Blush Oh boy...another good little slip o' me keyboard! (but it is pretty darned funny...!)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 19 2013, 2:16am

Post #35 of 38 (196 views)
Shortcut
I guess Gloin and Bombur, because they have wives ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'll never again hear that line without giggling.

This does, of course, beg the question: which of the Dwarves can, ahem, play croquet? Angelic

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Lio
Lorien

May 19 2013, 10:27pm

Post #36 of 38 (141 views)
Shortcut
Half Dwarf/Half Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And incidentally, what would a half dwarf/half hobbit be called? A Dwobbit? A Hwarf?

Perhaps a half-halfling? (It would be up to you to figure out what the other half was. Tongue)

Between the beards and furry feet I imagine they'd be quite hairy!

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

The Grey Elf
Gondor

May 20 2013, 12:10pm

Post #37 of 38 (134 views)
Shortcut
Sooooo in the context of the scene, "I'm a good carry bum" is [In reply to] Can't Post

Bifur's Kazdul-speak for Thorin Oakenshield? Oh, my ....

Wink

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 21 2013, 3:53am

Post #38 of 38 (138 views)
Shortcut
what a wonderful smell you've discovered.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
Oh why, oh why didn't I think of that... I saw Star Wars and read LOTR/Hobbit in 1977/1978.

Elves: actually it's either Suave Ocean Breeze, or cat.

(casts have no smell, except mine, which smell of catspit).

Dwarves smell of earth.

Volunteered with a raptor rehabber for a bit. no eagles, but redtail hawks and great horned owls. either can et about a rabbit a day, both weigh in the 2-4 lb range and have four to five foot wingspans. In lieu of rabbit, they can eat 3 or 4 mice, or a whole lot of grasshoppers. I have seen redtails hunting in tall grass, walky stalking with their ridiculous big feet, hopping like Tom Bombadil, and lurching after grasshoppers.

Giant eagles need only grab enough Bambis and they'd be fine. Or maybe there were some very large aurochs or bison about. Something that grazed in large herds would be easy prey.

I was under the impression that the two fingered salute was held up backwards (back of hand outward) for the rude bit... peace sign is palm part out. Or not.

Surely Thorin was ringing the doorbell while the party was going on loudly.

Um, he didn't have Orcrist when he knocked on Bilbo's door...

Balin clearly works for UPS. Maybe Amazon.

I too love the sparks blending with the stars scene. I think the burned out smouldering candle is evoking the end of night, the beginning of day, of a decision, of a new adventure. The candle is part of hearth and home, it is done, it is not part of The Adventure.

Dwarves... noses............ Kilinex

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.