Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Possibility of Filming for Future 'Ultimate Edition'?

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

May 17 2013, 11:23am

Post #1 of 12 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Possibility of Filming for Future 'Ultimate Edition'? Can't Post

I've heard it mentioned quite a few times, the possibility of PJ someday compiling an 'Ultimate Edition' of LOTR. Now, I've wondered about PJ taking this opportunity with filming Hobbit, to shoot any scenes he may insert into the 'Ultimate Edition.

An example would be a short clip of the Battle of Dale in the War Of The Ring. Maybe a shot of Dain being slain defending the body of Brand. It would only be short scene but it would help tie in to what Legolas says to Gimli about 'war in his own lands'.

I think if done effectively, a short clip of the Battle of Dale and Siege Of Erebor would help tie in the two trilogies. It would also show the audience that the war in not only being fought in the south but across Middle Earth and help bring closure to the Erebor/Dwarven storyline, showing their participation in the War of The Ring.

Any thoughts?

MorgolKing
Rivendell

May 17 2013, 11:57am

Post #2 of 12 (564 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

This would be a dream come true.....alas I'm afraid it will remain just that...a dream.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

May 17 2013, 12:12pm

Post #3 of 12 (556 views)
Shortcut
I really hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a thought though; if they did decide to do this (and perhaps re-release all of LOTR films (in 3d most likely) in cinemas starting earliest 2015, when might this be announced?

If they were to do this then it would take some considerable time and effort, and so wouldn't be something which they would do and then keep quiet about for a few years, only to spring on us. Also, I can't see how letting us know now that they are doing this would hurt TH's box office numbers. The only way in which it might be detrimental to announce these things is that it would be a bit of a spoiler if PJ announced that "we thought that we'd shoot a few scenes for the War of the North part of LOTR" as that would mean that we knew more or less what they were going to include. On the other hand, anyone with any knowledge of the books would know that this was most likely the kind of thing that they would include.

I'm still holding out-on-hope upon hope that PJ decides to make a bridge film at the end of this including Legolas taking Aragorn's part in a "Hunt for Gollum" type sequence (due to his age). If they did decide that they wanted to do this then now would definitely be the time as it wouldn't warrant it's own trilogy and therefore the massive costs of having WETA and half a million other people present.

As I said though, unfortunately, if they were to do something like this then I can't see why they wouldn't announce it asap.

P.s. the "Hunt for Gollum" film on youtube is pretty cool and is definately worth a watch, as is the "Born of Hope" film, although imho less so.

(This post was edited by TheBeerBaron on May 17 2013, 12:14pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

May 17 2013, 12:28pm

Post #4 of 12 (521 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

the idea of the filmning parts for war of the north/dale or a bridge film makes me shudder with a wraith like cold feeling stabbing straight into my heart and that of tolkiens turning corpse.

as you can tell i am opposed to these ideas.

if it aint broke dont fix it, the trilogy is fine as is, maybe they could include a few already filmed shots for a special edition or something but thats it! no reshoots for lotr that is just ridiculous!

the only other things i am up for being made into a film are where tolkien has written an actual in depth story rather than a few paragraphs, or a chronology of events. there are a few options but none include aragorn or legolas.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

May 17 2013, 2:19pm

Post #5 of 12 (466 views)
Shortcut
An ultimate campaign of filming around several countries [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone noticed how long they did actually stayed in UK filming Ian Holm and Cristopher Lee? Seeing the result (I didnt noticed the green screen in this cases) I can see that not that particular time, but maybe they could move some secreptive movements in some conuntries to shoot some specific actors and assemble some scenes

Not only Erebor related, but the whole universe, Im starting seeing as a whole and it just fits perfectly, and Im sure more will come

Many things seem impossible until they happen (hello Silmarilion)

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

May 17 2013, 5:49pm

Post #6 of 12 (397 views)
Shortcut
getting the footage to mix properly [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems whenever someone updates an old film (ie. Star Wars, Blade Runner, Star Trek HD editions, etc.) It looks painfully obvious when mixing of different film stocks (or in this case film and digital).

I'd be all for it, but it just seems like a nice fantasy. Sly

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

MorgolKing
Rivendell

May 17 2013, 6:09pm

Post #7 of 12 (354 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'd settle for an epilogue showing glimpses of the War of the North and Galadriel tearing down Dol Guldur

malickfan
Gondor

May 17 2013, 6:24pm

Post #8 of 12 (347 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR films are already long and good enough and work fine as they are, I don't want to see irrelevant new scenes shoved in (especially since PJ would probably do a 'Lucas' and film/animate them with mood killing CGI) just to provide unnecessary links to a prequel unconcived at the time of their filming.

As much as I like visuallising The Hunt for Gollum, Dain's final stand outside Erebor (Really love visuallising this one!) etc their is a a difference between adapting a book/bringing material into a story where it needs it, and needlessly expanding/ inventing wholesale a new story or subplots. If every note and throw away reference from the books that could possibly be utilised in these films is utilised then where is the fun in reading the book and visualising the story for yourself? The idea of Jackson filling in the 'gaps of the story' may excite some people, but for me background notes in a story should remain just that.

As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said All is now ready.

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 18 2013, 1:28pm

Post #9 of 12 (243 views)
Shortcut
Just think about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as when Legolas talks about "War in our own lands" we'll se a short glimps (maybe 30 seconds) of Dain defending Brands body outside of Erebor, with just a couple of wide shots of Erebor just to let the audience know where this is happening.

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

malickfan
Gondor

May 18 2013, 8:11pm

Post #10 of 12 (213 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, the added chance of seing Billy Connoly on a armoured Boar in LOTR is an inticing one I must admit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...But I rather see PJ put the talking purse and Roac in The Hobbit

As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said All is now ready.

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 19 2013, 2:19am

Post #11 of 12 (181 views)
Shortcut
Talking purse won't happen... [In reply to] Can't Post

The troll-scene is changed too much to just "add" the purse...
they have to re-film so much because Bilbo have to save the ponies somehow... and they have to remove the knife...

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 19 2013, 8:04am

Post #12 of 12 (185 views)
Shortcut
If it were me ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea that Bilbo wanted the knife to free the Ponies - they can keep that bit in. But instead of having the knife on the Troll, they should have had a big bag, with many things inside (knife, purse etc.). Even if the purse didn't talk, it could still be seen, and satisfy us purse-lovers.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.